DISTRIBUTION OF ORGANIC CARBON, PHOSPHORUS AND NITROGEN IN THE SEDIMENTS OF MANAKUDY ESTUARY
AbstractEstuary is a transition zone between land and sea as well as freshwater and salt water. In the estuary, the water carrying agricultural, industrial and domestic wastes are deposited as sediment. Distribution of organic carbon, total phosphorus and total nitrogen in the sediments of Manakudy estuary has been studied. Based on their nature, five stations have been earmarked for sampling. The C/N ratio of these sediments is very high compared to the sediments from Mandovi estuary goa.
2. Curtis, C.D. (1996). Advances in organic geo Chemistry. Ed.G.D. Hobson and M.D. lovis perganion Oxford. pp.1-13.
3. (David, S. Valdes – Lozano, Marcela Chumacero and Elizabeth Real (2006) sediment Oxygen consumption in a developed coastal lagoon of the Mexican Caribbean. (Ind. Jour. Mar. Sci., V. 35(3). Pp.227-234).
4. (Elwakeel, S.K. and Reley, J.P. 1957) Determination of organic carbon in marine muds, (J.P. Cons. Per.Intl,Expl. Mer, 22:180-183).
5. (Faganeli J and Herndl,G.J. (1991), In press) Behaviour of dissolved organic matter in pore water of near – shore marine sediments. (In J. Berthelin (Editor) Environmental Biogeochemistry Elsevier, Amsterdam).
6. (Fox, L.E. Sager, S.L. and wofsy.S.C. (1986). The chemical control of soluble phosphorus in the Amazon river and estuary. (Geochimica coasmochimica Acta, 50 : 703 – 794.
7. Kate Johnson (2003). New Jersey Harbor Estuary program.
8. (Muller,P.J. (1977) C/N ratios in pacific deep sea sediment) Effect of inorganic ammonium and organic nitrogen compounds sorbed by clays. (Geochim. Cosmo. Chim. Acta, V. 41, pp.765-776.
9. Meybeck, M. 1982. A note on dissolved elemental contents of the Zaire river, (Neth, J. Sea.Res., V. 12, pp. 293-295).
10. (Nasnolkar, C.M. Shirodhar, P.V. and Singbal, S.Y.S. (1996) Studies on organic carbon, total nitrogen, total phosphorus in the sediments of the Mandovi estuary, Goa. (Indian, J. Mar. Sci,V.25, No:2, pp. 120-124)
11. (Pettijohn.F.J. (1926) Intra formational phosphate pebbles of the Twin city Ordovician. (J. Ged. V.34.pp.361-373.
12. Rankama, K. and Sahama, Th.G.(1950) Geochemistry university of Chicago press pp.12
13. (Ruediger stein, Hannes Grobe and monika wahner (1994). Organic carbon, Carbonate and clay mineral distributions in eastern central Arctic ocean surface sediments. (Mar.Geol. V. 119.pp.269-285).
14. Sorp. J.H. Culberson, C.H. and Church, T.M. (1982). The chemistry of the Delta ware estuary. General considerations. Limnology and oceanograph. 27 : 1015-1028.
15. Swartz, R., Deben, W., Jones, J., Lambarson, J. and cole, F. 1985. Phoxocephalid amphipod bioassay for marine sediment toxicity. Aquatic Toxicology and Hazard Assessment. In seventh symposium. R. Cardwell, R. purdy and R. Bahner eds.pp.285-307 ASTM. STP854.
16. Technicon, auto systems. Industrial methods for Technician, auto analyzer, Tarrytown, Newyork (1973).
17. Vetharoy, D. (2002). A study on the Geochemistry of the sediments of Tambraparni estuary, Southern Tamilnadu, ph.D. Thesis, pp.118-126.
18. Walkley, A. and Black.I.A. 1934. An examination of the Dethreff method for determining soil organic matter and a proposed modification of the chromic acid titration method. Soil. Sci., V. 27,pp.29-38.
Authors retain ownership of the copyright for their content. Licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 Unported License.