CLINOPTILOLITE TUFF AND OTHER ZEOLITE ADDED VALUE PRODUCTS AS SUSTAINED COMMODITIES IN TRADITIONAL WATER AND WASTE MANAGEMENT
AbstractCoagulation/flocculation and ion exchange onto natural zeolite clinoptilolite are reviewed and discussed in this paper based on their pilot or industrial applications. Surface water purification by means of chemical coagulation and flocculation supported by the powdered natural zeolite was carried out industrially to save drinking water reservoir (upper part of Ondava river) settled by about ten thousands inhabitants. Therefore, several other surface water samples from the Slovakian reservoirs potentially impacted by contamination were examined to treat with alum coagulation/flocculation and powdered clinoptilolite tuff addition at the laboratory, respectively. Ammonia removal from tannery wastewater using the clinoptilolite tuff with chemical regeneration and regenerant recovery by air stripping, carried out in pilot measure during the several months at the mixed Wastewater Treatment Facility in Otrokovice - WTFO is discussed and evaluated, respectively.
2. Handbook of Biomineralization, Biomimetic and Bioinspired Chemistry. P. Behrens and E. Bauerlein (Eds.) Wiley-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KgaA, Weinheim 2007. ISBN: 978-3-527-31805-6. 415 p.
3. IWA Water Wiki by http://www.iwawaterwiki.org is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License. Based on a work at www.iwawaterwiki.org (Victoria Beddow and Alex Cruden 2015/04/01 (Information resource & Hub for the Global Water Comunity) Coagulation and Flocculation in Water and Wastewater Treatment.
4. www.zeocem.sk, Water Treatment Products of Zeocem [accessed in August 2011].
5. Ming, D.W. Application for special-purpose minerals at the lunar base, The second conference on lunar bases and space activities of the 21st century, Huston Texas, April 5-7, 1988, W.W. Mendel (Ed.) NASA Conference Publ. 3166, 1,1992, 385-391.
6. Sánchez, E., Milán, Z., Borja, R., Weiland, P., Rodriguez, X. (1995) Piggery waste treatment by anaerobic digestion and nutrient removal by ion exchange. Resources, Conservation and Recycling 15, 235-244.
7. Reyes, O., Sánchez, E., Pellón, A., Borja, R., Colmenarejo, M.F., Milán, Z., Cruz, (1997) A comparative study of sand and natural zeolite as filtering media in tertiary treatment of wastewaters from tourist area. J. Environ. Sci. Health, A32 (9&10), 2483-2496.
8. Boyer, T.H., Persaud, A., Banerjee, P., Palomino, P. (2011) Comparison of low cost and engineered materials for phosphorus removal from organic-rich surface water, Water Research 45, 4803-4814.
9. Yan, L., Xu, Y., Yu, H., Xin, X., Wei, Q., Du, B. (2010) Adsorption of Phosphate from aqueous solution by hydroxy-aluminum, hydroxy-iron and hydroxy-iron-aluminum pillared bentonites, J. Haz. Materials 179,244-250.
10. Parham W. (1989) Natural zeolites. Some potential agricultural applications for developing countries. Natural Resources Forum, Butterworth&Co Publ. Ltd.01650203/89/020107- 09.
11. Chmielewská, E. (2012) Natural Zeolite –A versatile commodity - Some retrospectives in water cleanup processes, Dessalination and Water Treatment 41, 335-341.
12. Crites, R.W.; Middlebrooks, E.J.; Bastian, R.K.; Reed, S.C. Natural Wastewater Treatment Systems (Second Edition), CRC Press, Tylor & Francis Group. Boca Raton- London-New York 2014, 525 p. ISBN 978-1-78040-589-6.
13. Oliveira, M.B.; Mano, J.F. Biomimetic superhydrophobic surfaces, Handbook of Biomimetics and Bioinspiration. 1 Bioinspired Materials. E. Jabbari (Ed.), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte Ltd. Singapore 2014, 153-180.
14. Babel, S., Kurniawan, T.A. (2003) Low-cost adsorbents for heavy metals uptake from contaminated water: a review. J. Hazard. Mater. B97, 219-243.
15. Pitter, P. (1999) Hydrochemie (in Czech). VŠCHT Praha, ISBN: 9788070807019.580 p. (Laboratórni metódy v technológii vody, SNTL Praha 1983 – Technical Supplement for Laboratory).
16. Horváthová-Chmielewská, E., Konečný, J. & Bošan, Z. (1989) Technology for wastewater treatment in tannery processing plants. CS-Patent 02 604-89, No.274 068.
17. Horváthová-Chmielewská, E., Konečný, J. & Bošan, Z. (1992) Ammonia Removal from Tannery Waste-waters by Selective Ion Exchange on Slovak Clinoptilolite, Acta hydrochimica et hydrobiologica 20, 5, 269 – 272.
18. Hegmon, S. (1989) Technical-economic evaluation of technol. for selective ion Exchange of NH4 out of tannery wastewaters using the clinoptilolite-rich tuff. Svit Zlín–Waste Water Treatment Facility in Otrokovice (in Czech) Centroprojekt, 36 p.
Authors retain ownership of the copyright for their content. Licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 Unported License.