Main Article Content
Radon, Thoron, Effective dose,
Radiation exposure and effective dose received through two routes of exposure, viz. external and internal, via inhalation, by residents of coastal villages belonging to Natural High Background Radiation Areas (NHBRA) of Kanyakumari District and Tamil Nadu inIndiawere studied. While the indoor gamma radiation levels were monitored using Thermo Luminescent Dosimeters (TLDs), the indoor radon and thoron gas concentrations were measured using twin chamber dosimeters employing Solid State Nuclear Track Detectors (SSNTDs, LR-115-II). The average total annual effective dose was estimated and found to be varied from 2.37 to8.64 mSv.
2. Chowgaonkar, M.P., Eappen, K.P., Ramachandran, T.V., Shetty, P.G., Mayya, Y.S., Sadasivan, S., Venkat Raj, V., 2004. Profiles of doses to the population living in the high background radiation areas in Kerala. India. J. Environ. Radioact. 71, 275 – 279.
3. Danalakshmi, B., Balasundar, S., Sreedeve, K.R. 2008. Radon measurements in the residential colony of Nuclear Power Station at Kalpakkam using Track Detectors. Radiat. Meas. 43. S456 – S458.
4. Eappen, K.P., Ramachandran, T.V., Sheikh, A.N., Mayya, Y.S., 2001. Caliberation factor SSNTD based radon / thoron dosimeters. Radiat. Prot. Environ. 24, 410 – 413.
5. Narayana, Y., Somashekarappa, H.M., Karunakara, N., Balakrishna, K.M., Sidddappa, K., Kumar, S., Gopalani, D., Ramaseshu, P., 1998. Seasonal variation of indoor radon levels in coastal Karnataka on the south west coast of India. Radiat. Meas. 29, 19 – 25.
6. Obed, R.I., Fari, I.P., Jibiri, N.N., 2005. Population dose distribution due to soil radioactivity concentration levels in 18 cities across Nigeria. J.Radiat.Prot. 25, 305 – 312.
7. Ramachandran, T.V., Eappen, K.P., Nair, R.N., Mayya, Y.S., Sadasivan, S., 2003. Radon – thoron levels and inhalation dose distribution pattern in Indian dwellings. BARC Report, 2003 / E / 026.
8. Srinivasa Reddy, B., Srinath Reddy, M., Gopal Reddy, C., Yadagiri Reddy, P., Rana Reddy, K., 2003. Air borne radioactivity levels in dwellings of Khammam district, Andra Pradesh, India. Radioact. Meas. 36, 503 – 506.
9. Ulbak, K., Stenum, B., Sorensen, A., Majborn, B., Botter-jensen, T.S., Nielsen, S.P., 1988. Results from the Danish indoor radiation survey. Radiat. Prot. Dosim. 24 (1/4), 401– 405.
10. War, S.A., Nongkynrih, P., Khathing, D.T., Lonwai, P.S., 2009. Assessment of indoor radiation level in the environs of the uranium deposit area of West Khasi Hills District, Meghalaya, India. J. Environ. Radioact. 100, 955 – 969.