Main Article Content
Tourist guides in Oman, Service Quality, Professionalism, Tourism Entrepreneurship, Financial support, Social Networking sites,
The objectives of the study are to investigate the factors impeding the professionalism of the tourist guides in Oman and to analyze the service quality improvement of the tourist guides.
56 samples were collected from the tourist guides in Oman working in public and private sector, and the samples were selected on a random sampling basis. Using a well-defined questionnaire data was collected, analyzed and interpreted to derive the conclusion.
The empirical results reveal that there is a rectilinear relationship between the Finance, Societal factors and the Success of Tourist Guide profession. But it is observed that from the negative coefficients that the finance and societal factors make a negative impact on the tourist guide job.
It is suggested that specialized courses should be offered by the Government to tourist guides to improve their performances and, financial and moral support should also be provided by the Government to take up Tourist guide profession. The tourist guides prefer the Government should support tourist guides to participate in global events of tourism. Social Implications
It is found that the tourist guides profession is considered neither as a decent job nor as a prestigious job by the society and the media only can correct the view of the society.
No study has investigated the professionalism and quality of service of the tourist guides in Oman, and this study will help the planners and the Government to boost tourism.
2. Al Raisi, K.M. (2014), “Oman tourism: The untold story of Omani tourist guides”, Times of Oman, dated 26th Sep. 2014, retrieved from http://timesofoman.com/article/41072/Oman/Oman-tourism:-The-untold-story-of-Omani-tour-guides on 25.02.2017 at 5.45 p.m.
3. Al Tawqi, M. (2014), “Oman tourism: The untold story of Omani tourist guides”, Times of Oman, dated 26th Sep. 2014, retrieved from http://timesofoman.com/article/41072/Oman/Oman-tourism:-The-untold-story-of-Omani-tour-guides on 25.02.2017 at 5.45 p.m.
4. Anderson, R. (2016), “Oman aims to double number of international visitors”, Gulf Business, dated 25th April 2016, Retrieved from http://www.gulfbusiness.com/articles/country/oman/oman-aims-to-double-number-of-international-visitors/ on 27.05.2017 at 5.30 p.m.
5. Howard, J., Thwaites, R. and Smith, B. (2001), Investigating the roles of the indigenous Tourist guide, The Journal of Tourism Studies, Vol.12, issue. 2, pp.32-39.
6. Hu, W. (2007), Tourist guides and Sustainable Development: The Case of Hainan, China, A thesis presented to the University of Waterloo in fulfilment of the thesis requirement for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, pp.1-213.
7. Jacobson, J. J. (2005), “Assessment of Tourist Guide Training at the Cave of the Mounds”, A Research Paper Submitted in Partial Fulfillment of the Requirements for the Master of Science Degree in Training and Development, University of Wisconsin, pp.1-66.
8. Khan, F.R. and Krishnamurthy, J. (2016), “Future of Oman Tourism: Perception of the Students in Tourism Studies”, International Journal of Tourism & Hospitality Reviews, Vol.3, issue. 1, pp. 1-11. https://doi.org/10.1108/JWAM-06-2016-0008
9. Khan, F.R. and Krishnamurthy, J. (2016a), “Future Proofing of Tourism Entrepreneurship in Oman: Challenges and Prospects”, Journal of Work Applied Management, Vol.8, issue. 1, pp. 79-94, http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/JWAM-06-2016-0008
10. Lai, I.K.W. (2013), “Traveler Acceptance of an App-Based Mobile Tourist guide”, Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Research, Vol.39, issue.3, pp. 401-432.
11. MohamadKhani, K. (2008), “Role of Tourist Guides in Cultural G Tourists’ Satisfaction: Emotionally Intelligent Tourist Guides”, Journal of Cultural Management, Vol.2, issue.2, pp.113-124.
12. MohammedKhani, K. and Ashrafi, M. (2013), A Study on Effectiveness of Tourist guides Training Programs in Iran-Tehran, Business and Economic Research, Vol.3, No.1, pp. 153-162.
13. Ministry of National Economy (1995), “Long-Term Development Strategy (1996-2040): Vision for Oman’s Economy – 2040”, Ministry of National Economy, Sultanate of Oman, retrieved from www.mone.gov.om/viewPublication.aspx?id=366 on 22.5.2017 at 8.10 a.m
14. Nsaim, (2008), “Tourism in Oman”, Tourism Blogspot, Retrieved from http://tourism0o0o.blogspot.ae/2008/03/tourism-in-oman.html?m=1 on 24.05.2017 at 5.30 p.m.
15. Huang, S., Hsu, C.H.C. and Chan, A. (2011), “Tourist guide performance and Tourist Satisfaction: A study of the Package Tours in Shanghai”, Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Research, Vol.34, issue.1, pp.1 – 33.
16. Mak, A.H.N, Wong, K.K.F. and Chang, R.C.Y. (2010), “Factors affecting the service quality of the tour guiding profession in Macau”, International Journal of Tourism Research, Vol. 12, issue.3, pp. 205-218. https://doi.org/10.1002/jtr.746
17. Nelson, M.F., James, M.S.L., Miles, A., Morrell, D.L. and Sledge, S. (2016), “Academic Integrity of Millennials: The impact of religion and Spirituality”, Ethics and Behaviour, pp. 1 – 16.
18. Prakash, M. and Chowdhary, N. and Sunayna (2011), “Tour Guiding: Interpreting the Challenges”, Tourimos: An International Multidisciplinary Journal of Tourism, Vol.6, issue.2, pp. 65-81.
19. Times of Oman (2014), “Oman has tourism challenges to tackle”, dated Aug.8, 2014, Retrieved from http://timesofoman.com/article/38271/Oman/Oman-has-tourism-challenges-to-tackle on 27.05.2017 at 8.10 a.m.
20. Trenwith, C. (2015), “Oman visitor numbers reach record 2.1m in 2014”, dated 29th July, 2015, Retrieved from http://m.arabianbusiness.com/oman-visitor-numbers-reach-record-2-1m-in-2014-600909.html on 27.05.2017 at 8.15 a.m.
21. Weiler, B. and Ham, S.H. (2002), “Tourist guide training: A model for sustainable capacity building in developing countries”, Journal of Sustainable Tourism, Vol. 10, No.1, pp.52-68. https://doi.org/10.1080/09669580208667152
22. Wilson (2008), “Importance of a Tourist guide”, San Francisco Shuttle Tours, dated Nov.3, 2008, Retrieved from https://www.sanfranshuttletours.com/shuttle-articles/2008/11/importance-of-tour-guide.html on 25.02.2017 at 5.35 p.m.
23. Web report, (2017), Oman hikes visit visa fee, makes visa easier for 4 countries”, Khaleej Times, dated 24th April 2017, retrieved from http://www.m.khaleejtimes.com/region/oman-hike
24. Zhang, H.Q., and Chow, I. (2004). “Application of Importance-performance Model in Tourist Guides’ Performance: Evidence from Mainland Chinese Outbound Visitors in Hong Kong”, Tourism Management, Vol. 25, issue.1, pp. 81-91. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0261-5177(03)00064-5