Main Article Content
Metallic nanoparticles have gained the interest of researchers worldwide due to their unique antibacterial, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties. There is a constant need for the sustainable green synthesis of the metallic nanoparticles with less involvement of the toxic chemicals. In this background, our group has synthesised the silver nanoparticles from the aqueous extracts of clove and cinnamon through green method. The aqueous spice extracts were used for the reduction of silver nitrate solution. The synthesised silver nanoparticles were characterised by the UV-Visible spectroscopy, dynamic light scattering (DLS) and transmission electron microscopy (TEM). Antibacterial properties of the nanoparticles were evaluated on the Escherichia coli and Staphylococcus aureus strains using the Kirby-Bauer antibiotic testing method. UV-Vis spectroscopy confirms the size of the nanoparticles to be around 30-60 nm which is further confirmed by the DLS and TEM techniques. Further, the antibacterial activity analysis showed that the bacterial samples (S. aureus and E. coli) treated with the synthesised silver nanoparticles showed minimum inhibitory concentration in the range of 25-30 μM. The study presents an environment friendly method to synthesise metallic nanoparticles showing good antibacterial activity. This work would help other research groups working in the field of biological application of green synthesis mediated metallic nanoparticles.
Nanoparticles green synthesis clove cinnamon and antimicrobial
Authors retain the copyright without restrictions for their published content in this journal. GCTL is a Sherpa Romeo Journal.
How to Cite
Pathak, M., Sharma, M., Ojha, H., Kumari, R., Sharma, N., Roy, B., & Jain, G. (2016). GREEN SYNTHESIS, CHARACTERIZATION AND ANTIBACTERIAL ACTIVITY OF SILVER NANOPARTICLES. Green Chemistry & Technology Letters, 2(2), 103-109. Retrieved from https://giapjournals.com/gctl/article/view/327
- Mazur, M. (2004). Electrochemically prepared silver nanoflakes and nanowires. Electrochem. Commun. 6, 400-403.
- Kim, J.S., Kuk, E., Yu, K.N., Kim, J.H., Park ,S.J., Lee, H.J., Kim, S.H., Park, Y.K., Park, Y.H., Hwang, C.Y., Kim, Y.K., Lee, Y.S., Jeong, D.H. & Cho, M.H. (2007). Antimicrobial effects of silver nanoparticles. Nanomedicine. 3, 95-101.
- Huang, X., El-Sayed, I.H., Qian, W. & El-Sayed, M.A. (2006). Cancer cell imaging and photothermal therapy in the near-infrared region by using gold nanorods. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 128, 2115–2120.
- Li, J., Wang, X., Wang, C., Chen, B., Dai, Y., Zhang, R., Song, M., Lv, G. & Fu, D. (2007). The enhancement effect of gold nanoparticles in drug delivery and as biomarkers of drug-resistant cancer cells. Chem Med Chem. 2, 374–378.
- Mayya, K.S., Schoeler, B. & Caruso, F. (2003). Preparation and organization of nanoscale polyelectrolyte-coated gold nanoparticles. Adv. Funct. Mater.13, 183–188.
- Ohno, K., Koh, K., Tsujii, Y. & Fukuda, T. (2003). Fabrication of ordered arrays of gold nanoparticles coated with high-density polymer brushes. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 42, 2751–2754.
- Shankar, S. S., Rai, A., Ahmad A. & Sastry, M. (2004). Rapid synthesis of Au, Ag, and bimetallic Au core–Ag shell nanoparticles using Neem (Azadirachta indica) leaf broth. J. Colloid interface Sci. 275(2), 496-502. 8. João Conde, J., Doria, G. & Baptista P. (2012). Noble metal nanoparticles applications in cancer. J. Drug Delivery. Article ID 751075, 1-12.
- Morones, J. R., Elechiguerra, J. L., Camacho, A., Holt, K., Kouri, J. B., Ramírez, J. T. & Yacaman, M. J. (2005). The bactericidal effect of silver nanoparticles. Nanotechnology. 16(10), 2346-2353.
- Willner, I., Baron, R. & Willner, B. (2006). Growing metal nanoparticles by enzymes. J. Adv. Mater. 18, 1109-1120.
- Konishi, Y. & Uruga, T. (2007). Bioreductive deposition of platinum nanoparticles on the bacterium Shewanella algae. J. Biotechnol. 128, 648-653. 12. Bankar, A., Joshi, B., Kumar A. R. & Zinjarde, S. (2010). Banana peel extract mediated novel route for the synthesis of silver nanoparticles. Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects, 368(1–3), 58–63.
- Bauer, A. W., Perry, D. M. & Kirby, W. M. M. (1959). Single disc antibiotic sensitivity testing of Staphylococci. A.M.A. Arch. Intern. Med. 104, 208–216.
- Bauer, A. W., Kirby, W. M. M. , Sherris, J. C. & Turck, M. (1966). Antibiotic susceptibility testing by a standardized single disk method. Am. J. Clin. Pathol. 36, 493-496. 15. Collera, Z. O., Jimenez, F. G. & Gordillo R. M. (2005). Comparative study of carotenoid composition in three mexican varieties of Capsicum annuum L. Food Chem. 90, 109–114.
- Usha Rani, P. & Rajasekharreddy, P. (2011). Green synthesis of silver-protein (core-shell) nanoparticles using Piper betle L. leaf extract and its ecotoxicological studies on Daphnia magna. Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects. 389 (1–3), 188–194.
- Saeb, Amr T. M., Alshammari, Ahmad S., Al-Brahim, Hessa. & Al-Rubeaan, Khalid A. (2014). Production of Silver Nanoparticles with Strong and Stable Antimicrobial Activity against Highly Pathogenic and Multidrug Resistant Bacteria. The Scientific World Journal Article ID 704708, 9 pages.
- Sastry, M., Patil, V., & Sainkar, S. R. (1998). Electrostatically controlled diffusion of carboxylic acid derivatized silver colloidal particles in thermally evaporated fatty amine films. J. Phy. Chem. B. 102 (8), 1404–1410.
- Henglein, A. (1993). Physicochemical properties of small metal particles in solution: Microelectrode reactions, chemisorption, composite metal particles, and the atom-to-metal transition. J. Phys. Chem. 97(21), 5457–5471.
- Kelly, K. L., Coronado, E., Zhao, L. L. & Schatz, G. C. (2003). The optical properties of metal nanoparticles: the influence of size, shape, and dielectric environment. J. Phys. Chem. B. 107(3), 668–677. 21. Cecilia, N. (2007) Surface Plasmons on Metal Nanoparticles: The Influence of Shape and Physical Environment J. Phys. Chem. C. 111 (10), 3806–3819. 22. Meléndrez, M.F., Cárdenas, G. & Arbiol, J. (2010). Synthesis and characterization of gallium colloidal nanoparticles. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science. 346 (2), 279–287.
- Banerjee, P., Satapathy, M., Mukhopahayay, A. & Das, P. (2014). Leaf extract mediated green synthesis of silver nanoparticles from widely available Indian plants: synthesis, characterization, antimicrobial property and toxicity analysis. Bioresour Bioprocessing. 1(3), 1-10.
- Shahverdi, A. R., Fakhim, A., Shahverdi, H. R. & Minaian, S. (2007). Synthesis and effect of silver nanoparticles on the antibacterial activity of different antibiotics against Staphylococcus aureus and Escherichia coli. Nanomedicine. 3(2), 168–171.