Main Article Content
A field experiment was conducted at M/s.Rashtriya Chemicals and Fertilizers, Ltd., Mumbai, India, (RCF) experimental farm to evaluate the effect of ZnO Nanoparticles (ZnO NP) in combination with N: P: K (15: 15:15) complex fertilizer “Suphala” of RCF Ltd. on growth attributes of brinjal (Solanum melongena L) as well as nutrient use efficiency. The experiment was carried out in randomised block design with three replications. The first treatment (T-1), comprised of recommended dose of fertilizer (RDF), N: P: K (50:50:50), applied at the time of transplantation. The second treatment (T-2) was conducted with RDF in combination @ 2kg ZnSO4 (bulk)/ha. The third treatment (T-3) was added, N: P: K (12.5; 12.5; 12.5) in combination to ZnO NP @ 4500mg/ha. The forth treatment (T-C) was without any fertilizer. All treatments were given appropriate quantity of nitrogen per hectare as urea at the 30th day of transplantation. The combination N: P: K (12.5; 12.5; 12.5) and ZnO NP @ 4500mg/ha yielded 91% and 45.3% higher brinjal yield and biomass respectively than the treatment with only RDF. It was also observed that 38% and 21% higher yield and biomass respectively were recorded in the treatment where combination of RDF with ZnSO4 (bulk) over RDF was used alone. The results of field trials reveal that, there was synergistic effect of ZnO NP @ 4500mg per hectare with N: P: K complex fertilizer on growth attributes of brinjal as well as nutrient use efficiency.
Nanoparticles synergistic effect growth attributes Nutrient use efficiency recommended dose of fertilizer Biomass Suphala.
Authors retain the copyright without restrictions for their published content in this journal. GCTL is a Sherpa Romeo Journal.
How to Cite
P. Kale, A., & N. Gawade, S. (2016). STUDIES ON NANOPARTICLE INDUCED NUTRIENT USE EFICIENCY OF FERTILIZER AND CROP PRODUCTIVITY. Green Chemistry & Technology Letters, 2(2), 88-92. https://doi.org/10.18510/gctl.2016.226
- Dijkand V, Meijerink A. A review of global food security scenario and assessment studies: results, gaps and research
- priorities. 2014 Feb Food secure Working paper No. 20.
- Godfray HC, Beddington JR., Haddad L, Lawrence D, Muir JF, Pretty J, Robinson S , Thomas SM , Toulmin C. Food
- security: The challenge of feeding 9 billion people. Science. 2010. 327: 812 - 818.
- Earth-policy.org. "The Earth Is Shrinking: Advancing Deserts and Rising Seas Squeezing Civilization". 2011 Nov 13.
- The Guardian (UK). Ian Sample in science correspondent. "Global food crisis looms as climate change and population
- growth strip fertile land". 2011 Nov.13.
- Ghafari H, Razmjoo J. Effect of foliar application of Nano-Iron Oxidase, Iron chelate and Iron Sulphate rates on yield quality
- of wheat. International Journal of Agronomy and plant production. 2013. 4 (11): 2997 - 3003.
- Lu CM, Zhang CY, Wen JQ, Wu GR, Tao MX. Research of the effect of nanometer material on germination and growth
- enhancement of Glycine max and its mechanism. Soybean Science. 2002. 21(3): 168 -171.
- Reynolds GH. Forward to the future nanotechnology and regulatory policy. Pacific Research Institute. 2002. 24: 1-23.
- Prasad TNV, Sudhakar P, Sreenivasanlu Y, Latha P, Munaswami V., Raja RK , Sreeprasad T S, Sajanlal PR, Pradeep T .
- Effect of nano scale zinc oxide. Particles on the germination, growth and yield of peanut. J Plant Nutr. 2012. 35:905 - 927.
- Laware SL, Raskar S. Influence of zinc oxide nanoparticles on growth, flowering and seed productivity in onion. Int J Curr
- Microbiol Appl Sci . 2014. 3 (7): 874-881.
- Broadley MR, White PJ, Hammond JP, Zelko I, Lu A. Zinc in plants. New Phytol. 2007. 173,677-702.
- Keith AM, Chih-chin H, Carol AF. . Function and Mechanism of Zinc Metalloenzymes. J. Nutr. 2000, 130 (5): 1437S -
- Singh MV. Micronutrients in crops and in soils of India. In: Alloway BJ (Ed.) Micronutrients for global crop production.
- Springer. Business.
- McKenzie RH. Micronutrient requirement of crops. Alberta Agriculture Food and Rural Development. 2001. Available on
- Naderi MR and Abedi A. Application of nanotechnology in agriculture and refinement of environmental pollutants. J
- Nanotechnol. 2012. 11(1):18-26.
- TNAU. Development of ICT based Tools and Technology towards an interactive Multimedia. Agriculture advisory system.
- Available on (Agritech.tnau.ac.in/govt_schemes_services/aas/brinjal.html).
- Kanawade LR, Sawant G, Shinde S. In Krishidarshini, MPKV. 1996: pp. 154.
- Roughage S, Mohammad S, Mehdi T. , Rauf SS. Effects of Nano - Iron Oxide Particles on Agronomic traits of Soybean. Not.
- Sis. Biol. 2010. 2 (2): 112-113.
- Liu XM, Zang, FD. He XS, Fang R, Feng Z , Wang Y. Response of peanut to nano-calcium carbonate. Plant Nutrition and
- Fertilizer Sci. 2005. 11:3-9.
- Liu J, Zang YD and Zang ZM. Study on application of nanometer biotechnology on the yield and quality of winter wheat. J.
- Anhui Agri. Sci. 2008. 36 (35):15578-15580.
- Jinghua. Synchrotron radiation, soft X-ray spectroscopy and nano-materials. 2004. J Nanotechnol 1:193-225.
- De Rosa MR, Monreal C, Schnitzer M, Walsh R, Sultan Y. Nanotechnology in fertilizers. Nat. Nanotechnol. J. 2010. 5: 91.
- Lili F, Yunhe W, Xiwen S , Yanqiu G, Zhichun W , Yu M , Jian L. Effect of combined nitrogen fertilizer and nano-carbon
- application on yield and nitrogen use of rice grown on saline alkali soil. J. Food, Agriculture and Environment. 2012. 10 (1):
- Xiao Q, Zhang FD, Wang YY, Zhang JF, Zhang SQ. Effects of slow/controlled release fertilizers felted and coated by nanomaterials
- on crop yield and quality. Plant Nutrition and Fertilizer Science. 2008. 14 (5):951-955.