Main Article Content
Purpose of the study: Microalgae with better carbon sequestration potential, higher biomass, and lipid productivity in comparison to terrestrial counterparts is emerging as a viable sustainable alternative to fossil fuels. Diatoms, a subgroup of a broader category of microalgae are well-known for their role as a bio-indicator in palaeo-climatological studies across historical timelines. Understanding ecology, community structure, and habitat preference of diatoms are prerequisites for prioritizing diatom strains towards sustainable biofuel production along with value-added product extraction.
Method: Selection of appropriate strains, economically viable harvesting and environmentally sound transesterification are the challenges faced in microalgal industry. The present study focusses on understanding the variability in benthic diatom community assemblages across seasons and its affinity to different substrata at fixed sampling locations in an estuarine eco-system through field sampling for twelve months covering all seasons.
Main Findings: The results highlight the tolerance and resilience in select diatom strains in fluctuating water qualities and seasonal variations, the insights much needed during mass cultivation under open environments. Statistical data analyses revealed distinct demarcation between sensitive and tolerant species with selective habitat preferences and resilience to fluctuating environmental conditions. Variations of benthic diatom community structure across various substrata highlights substratum affinity of diatom strains. From the inferences derived through field studies, mixed consortia of diatoms were developed, monitored, and optimized for higher biomass and lipid productivity under controlled laboratory conditions.
Application of the Study: The results highlight the prospects of phyco-prospecting of indigenously grown diatom strains for sustainable biofuel production.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors retain the copyright without restrictions for their published content in this journal.
- Armbrust, E.V. (2009). "The life of diatoms in the world's oceans:" Nature, Nature Publishing Group Vol. 459, p. 185. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature08057, PMid:19444204
- Azadi, P., Malina, R., Barrett, S.R.H. and Kraft, M. (2017). "The evolution of the biofuel science:" Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews,Pergamon Vol. 76, pp. 1479-1484. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2016.11.181
- Bere, T. (2016). "Challenges of diatom-based biological monitoring and assessment of streams in developing countries:" Environmental Science and Pollution Research, Springer Berlin Heidelberg Vol. 23, No. 6, pp. 5477-5486.https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-015-5790-y, PMid:26573306
- Castenholz, R.W. (1963). "An Experimental Study Of The Vertical Distribution Of Littoral Marine Diatoms1:" Limnology and Oceanography,Wiley-Blackwell Vol. 8, No. 4, pp. 450-462. https://doi.org/10.4319/lo.1963.8.4.0450
- Chen, L., Liu, T., Zhang, W., Chen, X. and Wang, J. (2012). "Biodiesel production from algae oil high in free fatty acids by two-step catalytic conversion:" Bioresource Technology, Elsevier Vol. 111, pp. 208-214.
- https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2012.02.033, PMid:22401712
- Dalu, T. and Froneman, P.W. (2016). "Diatom-based water quality monitoring in southern Africa: challenges and future prospects:" Water SA, Water Research Commission (WRC) Vol. 42, No. 4, p. 551.
- Dixit, S.S., Smol, J.P., Kingston, J.C. and Charles, D.F. (1992). "Diatoms: powerful indicators of environmental change:" Environmental Science & Technology, American Chemical Society Vol. 26, No. 1, pp. 22-33.
- Fatema, K., Wan Maznah, W.O. and Isa, M.M. (2014). "Spatial and Temporal Variation of Physico-chemical Parameters in the Merbok Estuary, Kedah, Malaysia.:" Tropical life sciences research, School of Medical Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia Vol. 25, No. 2, pp. 1-19.
- Fields, F.J. and Kociolek, J.P. (2015). "An evolutionary perspective on selecting high-lipid-content diatoms (Bacillariophyta):" Journal of Applied Phycology, Vol. 27, No. 6, pp. 2209-2220.
- Hering, D., Johnson, R.K., Kramm, S., Schmutz, S., Szoszkiewicz, K. and Verdonschot, P.F.M. (2006). "Assessment of European streams with diatoms, macrophytes, macroinvertebrates and fish: A comparative metric-based analysis of organism response to stress:" Freshwater Biology, Wiley/Blackwell (10.1111) Vol. 51, No. 9, pp. 1757-1785. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2427.2006.01610.x
- Van Heurck, H. Van Heurck 1896 - A Treatise on the Diatomaceae. Translated by W.E. Baxter. | Citations - Diatoms of North America, Available at: https://diatoms.org/citations/van_heurck_h-1896-a_treatise_on_the_diatomaceae_translated_by_we_baxter (Accessed: August 18, 2018).
- Hildebrand, M., Davis, A.K., Smith, S.R., Traller, J.C. and Abbriano, R. (2012). "The place of diatoms in the biofuels industry:" Biofuels, Vol. 3, No. 2, pp. 221-240. https://doi.org/10.4155/bfs.11.157
- Horner, R. and Alexander, V. (1972). "Algal Populations in Arctic Sea Ice: An Investigation of Heterotrophy:" Limnology and Oceanography, Wiley-Blackwell Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 454-458. https://doi.org/10.4319/lo.1972.17.3.0454
- Jeffryes, C., Campbell, J., Li, H., Jiao, J. and Rorrer, G. (2011). "The potential of diatom nanobiotechnology for applications in solar cells, batteries, and electroluminescent devices:" Energy & Environmental Science, Vol. 4, No. 10, p. 3930. https://doi.org/10.1039/c0ee00306a
- Karthick, B., Hamilton, P.B. (Paul B., Kociolek, J.P. and Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and the Environment. (2013). An illustrated guide to common diatoms of peninsular India, Gubbi Labs.
- Kelly, M.G., Cazaubon, A., Coring, E., Dell'Uomo, A., Ector, L., Goldsmith, B., Guasch, H., Hürlimann, J., Jarlman, A., Kawecka, B., Kwandrans, J., Laugaste, R., Lindstrøm, E.-A., Leitao, M., Marvan, P., et al. (1998). "Recommendations for the routine sampling of diatoms for water quality assessments in Europe:" Journal of Applied Phycology, Vol. 10, No. 2, p. 215. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1008033201227
- Kennish, M.J. (2002). "Environmental threats and environmental future of estuaries:" Environmental Conservation, Vol. 29, No. 1, pp. 78-107.https://doi.org/10.1017/S0376892902000061
- Krammer K and Bertolet H (1986). Krammer, K. and Lange-Bertalot, H. (1986) Bacillariophyceae. 1. Teil: Naviculaceae In: Ettl, H., J. Gerloff, H. Heynig and D. Mollenhauer (eds.) Süsswasserflora von Mitteleuropa, Band 2/1.
- De La Peña, M.R. (2007). Cell growth and nutritive value of the tropical benthic diatom, Amphora sp., at varying levels of nutrients and light intensity, and different culture locations. Journal of Applied Phycology, Springer Verlag, pp. 647-655.https://doi.org/10.1007/s10811-007-9189-0
- Leblanc, K., Quéguiner, B., Diaz, F., Cornet, V., Michel-Rodriguez, M., Durrieu De Madron, X., Bowler, C., Malviya, S., Thyssen, M., Grégori, G., Rembauville, M., Grosso, O., Poulain, J., De Vargas, C., Pujo-Pay, M., et al. (2018). "Nanoplanktonic diatoms are globally overlooked but play a role in spring blooms and carbon export:" Nature Communications, Vol. 9, No. 1, p. 953.https://doi.org/10.1038/s41467-018-03376-9, PMid:29507291, MCid:PMC5838239
- Levitan, O., Dinamarca, J., Hochman, G. and Falkowski, P.G. (2014). "Diatoms: A fossil fuel of the future:" Trends in Biotechnology, Vol. 32, No. 3, pp. 117-124.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tibtech.2014.01.004, PMid:24529448
- Lewin, J. and Hellebust, J.A. (1976). "Heterotrophic nutrition of the marine pennate diatom Nitzschia angularis var. affinis:" Marine Biology,Springer-Verlag Vol. 36, No. 4, pp. 313-320. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00389192
- Linkins, A.E. (1973). Uptake and Utilization of Glucose and Acetate by a Marine Chemoorganotrophic Diatom Nitzschia alba Clone Link 001, University of Massachusetts, Amherst.
- Lohrenz, S.E., Dagg, M.J. and Whitledge, T.E. (1990). "Enhanced primary production at the plume/oceanic interface of the Mississippi River:" Continental Shelf Research,Pergamon Vol. 10, No. 7, pp. 639-664.
- Lylis, J.C. and Trainor, F.R. (1973). "THE HETEROTROPHIC CAPABILITIES OF CYCLOTELLA MENEGHINIANA:" Journal of Phycology,Wiley/Blackwell (10.1111) Vol. 9, No. 4, pp. 365-369.
- Madhu, N. V., Jyothibabu, R., Balachandran, K.K., Honey, U.K., Martin, G.D., Vijay, J.G., Shiyas, C.A., Gupta, G.V.M. and Achuthankutty, C.T. (2007). "Monsoonal impact on planktonic standing stock and abundance in a tropical estuary (Cochin backwaters - India):" Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science,Academic Press Vol. 73, No. 1-2, pp. 54-64.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecss.2006.12.009
- Martin, G.D., Vijay, J.G., Laluraj, C.M., Madhu, N.V., Joseph, T., Nair, M., Gupta, G.V.M. and Balachandran, K.K. (2008). "Fresh water influence on nutrient stoichiometry in a tropical estuary, Southwest coast of India:" Corvinus University of Budapest.
- Nelson, D.M., Tréguer, P., Brzezinski, M.A., Leynaert, A. and Quéguiner, B. (1995). "Production and dissolution of biogenic silica in the ocean: Revised global estimates, comparison with regional data and relationship to biogenic sedimentation:" Global Biogeochemical Cycles,Wiley-Blackwell Vol. 9, No. 3, pp. 359-372. https://doi.org/10.1029/95GB01070
- Patrick, R.M. and Reimer, C.W. (1966). "The diatoms of the United States exclusive of Alaska and Hawaii. Volume 1. Fragilariaceae, Eunotoniaceae, Achnanthaceae, Naviculaceae. Monographs of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia., Vol. 13:" Philadelphia, Patrick R. & Reimer C.W, Vol. 13, p. 688 pp., 64 pls.
- Prestegard, S.K., Oftedal, L., Coyne, R.T., Nygaard, G., Skjærven, K.H., Knutsen, G., Døskeland, S.O. and Herfindal, L. (2009). "Marine Benthic Diatoms Contain Compounds Able to Induce Leukemia Cell Death and Modulate Blood Platelet Activity:" Marine Drugs,Molecular Diversity Preservation International Vol. 7, No. 4, pp. 605-623. https://doi.org/10.3390/md7040605, PMid:20098602 PMCid:PMC2810217
- Qiu, D., Huang, L., Zhang, J. and Lin, S. (2010). "Phytoplankton dynamics in and near the highly eutrophic Pearl River Estuary, South China Sea:" Continental Shelf Research,Pergamon Vol. 30, No. 2, pp. 177-186.
- Ramachandra, T. V and Hegde, G. (2015). "Energy Trajectory in India: Challenges and Opportunities for Innovation:" Journal of Resources, Energy and Development,IOS Press Vol. 12, No. 1-2, pp. 1-24. https://doi.org/10.3233/RED-120115
- Ramachandra, T.V., Jain, R. and Krishnadas, G. (2011). "Hotspots of solar potential in India:" Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews,Pergamon Vol. 15, No. 6, pp. 3178-3186. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2011.04.007
- Ramachandra, T. V., Mahapatra, D.M., B, K. and Gordon, R. (2009). "Milking Diatoms for Sustainable Energy: Biochemical Engineering versus Gasoline-Secreting Diatom Solar Panels:" Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, American Chemical Society Vol. 48, No. 19, pp. 8769-8788. https://doi.org/10.1021/ie900044j
- Ramachandra, T.V. and Shwetmala (2009). "Emissions from India's transport sector: Statewise synthesis": Atmospheric Environment,Pergamon Vol. 43, No. 34, pp. 5510-5517. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosenv.2009.07.015
- Ramachandra, T. V. and Shwetmala (2012). "Decentralised carbon footprint analysis for opting climate change mitigation strategies in India:" Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews,Pergamon Vol. 16, No. 8, pp. 5820-5833.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2012.05.035
- Reid, M. (2005). "Diatom-based models for reconstructing past water quality and productivity in New Zealand lakes:" Journal of Paleolimnology, Vol. 33, No. 1, pp. 13-38. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10933-004-0424-2
- Reid, M.A., Tibby, J.C., Penny, D. and Gell, P.A. (1995). "The use of diatoms to assess past and present water quality:" Australian Journal of Ecology,Wiley/Blackwell (10.1111) Vol. 20, No. 1, pp. 57-64.
- Renaud, S.M., Parry, D.L. and Thinh, L.-V. (1994). "Microalgae for use in tropical aquaculture I: Gross chemical and fatty acid composition of twelve species of microalgae from the Northern Territory, Australia:" Journal of Applied Phycology, Vol. 6, No. 3, pp. 337-345. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02181948
- Saranya, G., Subashchandran, M.D., Mesta, P. and Ramachandra, T. V. (2018). "Prioritization of prospective third-generation biofuel diatom strains:" Energy, Ecology and Environment, Vol. 3, No. 6, pp. 338-354.
- Schoeman, F.R. (1979). "DIATOMS AS INDICATORS OF WATER QUALITY IN THE UPPER HENNOPS RIVER (Transvaal, South Africa):" Journal of the Limnological Society of Southern Africa,Taylor & Francis Vol. 5, No. 2, pp. 73-78. https://doi.org/10.1080/03779688.1979.9633188
- Seguro, I., García, C.M., Papaspyrou, S., Gálvez, J.A., García-Robledo, E., Navarro, G., Soria-Píriz, S., Aguilar, V., Lizano, O.G., Morales-Ramírez, A. and Corzo, A. (2015). "Seasonal changes of the microplankton community along a tropical estuary:" Regional Studies in Marine Science,Elsevier Vol. 2, pp. 189-202.
- Sheehan, J., Dunahay, T., Benemann, J. and Roessler, P. (1998). Look Back at the U.S. Department of Energy's Aquatic Species Program: Biodiesel from Algae; Close-Out Report: https://doi.org/10.2172/15003040
- Srinivas, K., Revichandran, C., Maheswaran, P.A., Asharaf, T.T.M. and Murukesh, N. (2003). "Propagation of tides in the Cochin estuarine system, southwest coast of India:" Indian Journal of Marine Sciences,Council of Scientific & Industrial Research Vol. 32, No. 1, pp. 14-24.
- Stevenson, R.J., Bothwell, M.L. (Max L.. and Lowe, R.L. (1996). Algal ecology : freshwater benthic eco-systems, Academic Press.
- Sun, C., Wang, B., Li, Z. and Qin, Z. (2015). "[Progress on Diatom Test in Drowning Cases].:" Fa yi xue za zhi, Vol. 31, No. 6, pp. 462-465.
- Tan, X., Zhang, Q., Burford, M.A., Sheldon, F. and Bunn, S.E. (2017). "Benthic Diatom Based Indices for Water Quality Assessment in Two Subtropical Streams:" Frontiers in Microbiology,Frontiers Vol. 8, p. 601.
- Taylor, J.C., Harding, W.R. and Archibald, C.G.M. (2007). A methods manual for the collection, preparation and analysis of diatom samples.
- Townsend, S.A. and Gell, P.A. (2005). "The Role of Substrate Type on Benthic Diatom Assemblages in the Daly and Roper Rivers of the Australian Wet/Dry Tropics:" Hydrobiologia, Vol. 548, No. 1, pp. 101-115.
- Tréguer, P., Bowler, C., Moriceau, B., Dutkiewicz, S., Gehlen, M., Aumont, O., Bittner, L., Dugdale, R., Finkel, Z., Iudicone, D., Jahn, O., Guidi, L., Lasbleiz, M., Leblanc, K., Levy, M., et al. (2018). "Influence of diatom diversity on the ocean biological carbon pump:" Nature Geoscience, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 27-37.
- Werner, D. (1977). The Biology of diatoms, University of California Press.
- Zhao, F. in the T.L.C. and B.C. of D.S. for P.B.P., Liang, J., Gao, Y., Luo, Q., Yu, Y., Chen, C. and Sun, L. (2016). "Variations in the Total Lipid Content and Biological Characteristics of Diatom Species for Potential Biodiesel Production:" Fundamentals of Renewable Energy and Applications, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 22-26.
- Zhu, L., Wang, Z., Shu, Q., Takala, J., Hiltunen, E., Feng, P. and Yuan, Z. (2013). "Nutrient removal and biodiesel production by integration of freshwater algae cultivation with piggery wastewater treatment:" Water Research,Pergamon Vol. 47, No. 13, pp. 4294-4302. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2013.05.004, PMid:23764580