Main Article Content
Purpose of the study: The purpose of this study is to make sure that the Bird valley’s quarry water is suitable for drinking purposes or not and to monitor the seasonal variations in the physico-chemical parameters of this quarry water.
Methodology: Water samples from the quarry were collected in clean and sterilized polyethylene bottles. Water samples were collected from different points and mixed together to get an integrated sample. Some of the selected physico-chemical parameters of the quarry water have been analyzed. Results were compared with standard limits of IS: 10500-2012. All the parameters were analyzed in the laboratory by using standard methods and techniques.
Main Findings: As per the obtained results this quarry water contains a very large number of Coliforms detected in the months of September and December and in June month Coliform count was 33 CFU/ml. This overall result for coliform is making this quarry water unfit for domestic purposes.
Applications of this study: This study helps us to understand the current condition of this quarry water and also enables us to know whether the quarry water is fit for drinking purposes. It also enables us to know whether this quarry water can be used for domestic purposes after the treatment.
Novelty/Originality of this study: Bird valley’s quarry water has not been analyzed from this point of view till date. This study will help us to understand the present condition of the water.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors retain the copyright without restrictions for their published content in this journal. GCTL is a Sherpa Romeo Journal.
- Ashish Kumar Singh, Saurav Das, Samer Singh, Nilu Pradhan, Santosh Kumar, Varsha Rani Gajamer, Yangchen D. Lepcha & and H. K. Tiwari. (2018). Physicochemical and microbiological profile of the potable water of Eastern Himalayan State Sikkim: An Indication of Severe Fecal Contamination and Immediate Health Risk. Frontiers in Public Health, Vol.7, pp. 1-35. https://doi.org/10.1101/508283
- Bewiadzi S., R. Awubomu & N. Glover-Meni. (2018). Searching and Cracking: Stone Quarrying, Livelihood and the Environment in the Daglama Quarry Site in the Ho Municipality. West African journal of applied ecology, Vol. 26, pp. 149 – 166.
- Faiza Tawati, Yenny Risjani, M. Sasmito Djati, Bagyo Yanuwiadi & Amin Setyo Leksono (2018) The Analysis of the Physical and Chemical Properties of the Water Quality in the Rainy Season in the Sumber Maron River - Kepanjen, Malang – Indonesia. Resources and Environment, Vol. 8 No. 3, pp. 148-154.
- Hanxun Wang, Bin Zhang, Xueliang Bai & Lei Shi (2018) A novel environmental restoration method for an abandoned limestone quarry with a deep open pit and steep palisades: a case study. Royal society open science, Vol.5 No. 5. https://doi.org/10.1098/rsos.180365
- Dr.Harsha Chatrath. (2017).Comparative study of physico chemical characteristics of water quality in Bhama river and bore well, Pimpari (BK), Pune. International Journal of Education and Applied Sciences, Vol. 4 No. 3, pp. 1-13.
- Joshua N. Edokpayi, John O. Odiyo, Elizabeth O. Popoola and Titus A.M. Msagati (2018) Evaluation of Microbiological and Physicochemical Parameters of Alternative Source of Drinking Water: A Case Study of Nzhelele River. South Africa. The Open Microbiology Journal, Vol. 12, pp. 18-27. https://doi.org/10.2174/1874285801812010018
- Kalu I.E and N. J. Ogbonna (2019) Investigation of the environmental effect of stone quarrying activities on soil and water in Akpohaand Ishiagu communities of Ebonyi state, Nigeria Journal of Advanced Studies in Agricultural, Biological and Environmental Sciences, Vol. 5 No. 2, pp.7-22. https://doi.org/10.1080/15623599.2019.1604115
- Kalu, Ezichi. (2018). Environmental impact of stone quarrying activities in Ebonyi state, Nigeria Journal of advanced studies in agricultural, biological and environmental sciences, Vol.5 No.2, pp. 7-22.
- Katia Talento, Miguel Amado and José Carlos Kullberg (2020) Review Quarries: From Abandoned to Renewed Places. Land MDPI, Open Access Journal, Vol.9 No.5, pp.1-21. https://doi.org/10.3390/land9050136
- Kayode Ogunsusi and Bola Olusola Adeleke (2019) Bitumen Seepage and Surface Water Contamination: Impact on Physicochemical and Biological Characteristics of Water. Environtropica - An International Journal of the Tropical Environment Vol. 15, pp. 103 -119.
- Keke U. N, F. O. Arimoro, A. V. Ayanwale and S. M. Aliyu (2015) Physicochemical parameters and heavy metals content of surface water in downstream Kaduna river, Zungeru, Niger state, Nigeria. Applied Science Research Journal, Vol. 3 No. 2, pp.46-57. http://www.ponpublishers.org
- Lakshmi P, Reddy MS, Reddy CP and Rao AN. (2016) Studies of Physico-Chemical Parameters to Evaluate Quality of Water at Different Zones of Nalgonda District of Telangana, India Journal of Earth Science and Climatic Changes, Vol.7 No.4, pp.1-5.
- Lekan Taofeek Popoola, Adeyinka Sikiru Yusuf and Tajudeen Adejare Aderibigbe (2019) Assessment of natural groundwater physico‑chemical properties in major industrial and residential locations of Lagos metropolis. Journal of Applied Water Science, Vol. 9, pp.1-10. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13201-019-1073-y
- Mity Tambi, Tom Cherian, Anju Therese Jose, Sunaina Jamal. (2015) Physico- chemical characteristics of ground water samples from different areas of Thrissur district, Kerala state, India. International Journal of Environment, Vol. 4 No. 2, pp. 182-192. https://doi.org/10.3126/ije.v4i2.12636
- Nwachukwu MA, Ojeaga K and Gilbert Chinelo. (2018). Critical Issues of Sustainability Associated with Quarry Activities. Aspects in Mining and Mineral Science, Vol. 1 No. 2, pp. 58-65. https://doi.org/10.31031/AMMS.2018.01.000509
- Okoroafor Isaiah, Charles Obunwo, Ndokiari Boisa, Owhonda Ihunwo. (2019) Quality Assessment of Surface Waters and Sediments of Anya-Ogologo River Journal of Water Resources and Ocean Science, Vol. 8 No.5, pp.77-85. https://doi.org/10.11648/j.wros.20190805.13
- Pensiri Akkajit, Putri Fajriati & Mongkolchai Assawadithalerd (2018). Metal accumulation in the marine bivalve, Marcia optima collected from the coastal area of Phuket Bay, Thailand. Environmental Science and Pollution Research, Vol.25 No.36, pp. 36147-36157. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-018-3488-7
- Prasad K. Hari, C. Anjali, M. Sridhar Reddy. (2016). Study of Physico-Chemical Characteristics of Penna River at Chennur, Cuddapah Basin, India Indian Journal of Advances in Chemical Science, Vol. 4 No. 1, pp. 20-24.
- Priya T. Dharani, A. K. Vidya. (2019) Evaluation of Water Quality Index using Physicochemical Parameters of Treated Domestic Sewage Water Research Journal of Life Sciences, Bioinformatics, Pharmaceutical and Chemical Sciences, Vol. 5 No. 2. pp. 98-112. https://doi.org/10.26479/2019.0502.08
- Qureshi Matva Umar Faruq M and Solanki HA (2015) Physico-chemical Parameters of Water in Bibi Lake, Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India. Journal of Pollution Effects and Control, Vol. 2 No.2, pp. 1-5. https://doi.org/10.4172/2375-4397.1000134
- RAJI, WA; ANIH, CE; OBETA, PO(2019) Assessment of Physicochemical Properties and Heavy Metals in Borehole Water Used For Drinking In Okada Town, Edo State, Nigeria. Journal of Applied Sciences and Environmental Management, Vol. 23 No. 12, pp. 2205-2209. https://doi.org/10.4314/jasem.v23i12.19
- Sajitha V., Smitha Asok Vijayamma (2016) Study of Physico-Chemical Parameters and Pond Water Quality Assessment by using Water Quality Index at Athiyannoor Panchayath, Kerala, India. Emer Life Sci Res, 2(1): 46-51.
- Shakhawat Chowdhury, M.A. Jafar Mazumder, Omar Al-Attas, Tahir Husain. (2016). Heavy metals in drinking water: Occurrences, implications, and future needs in developing countries. Science of the Total Environment, Vol. 569-570, pp.476-488. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2016.06.166
- Suthirat Kittipongvise. (2017) Assessment of Environmental Impacts of Limestone Quarrying Operations in Thailand Environmental and Climate Technologies, Vol. 20, pp. 67-83. https://doi.org/10.1515/rtuect-2017-0011
- Tahseen Sayara, Yamen Hamdan, Rezq Basheer-Salimia (2016) Impact of Air Pollution from Quarrying and Stone Cutting Industries on Agriculture and Plant Biodiversity. Resources and Environment, Vol. 6 No. 6, pp. 122-126.
- Tyulenev M, E Garina, A Khoreshok, O Litvin, Y Litvin, E Maliu China. (2017) A Method of Effective Quarry Water Purifying Using Artificial Filtering Arrays. Earth and Environmental Science, Vol. 50 No. 1, pp. 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1088/1755-1315/50/1/012035
- WHO; UNICEF. Progress on Sanitation and Drinking Water: 2017 Update; World Health Organization/UNICEF: Geneva, Switzerland, 2017.
- Yinka Titilawo, Aderonke Akintokun, Olufunke Shittu, Mobolaji Adeniyi , Janet Olaitan, Anthony Okoh( 2019) Physicochemical Properties and Total Coliform Distribution of Selected Rivers in Osun State, Southwestern Nigeria. Polish Journal of Environmental Studies, Vol. 28 No. 6, pp. 4417-4428. https://doi.org/10.15244/pjoes/81561
- Yogitha S Babu and M. Ramachandra Mohan. (2018) A study on physico-chemical parameters of Errarajan lake of Bangalore rural. International journal of science research, Vol. 7 No. 2, pp.401-402. https://doi.org/10.36106/ijsr
- Yury Lesin, Vyacheslav Gogolin, Elena Murko, Sergey Markov, and Jurgen Kretschmann (2018) The Choice of Methods of Quarry Wastewater Purifying. International Innovative Mining Symposium, Vol. 41 No. 1, pp. 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1051/e3sconf/20184101039