Main Article Content
Purpose of the study: Purpose behind this study is to get the knowledge of the range of physico-chemical parameters of the quarry water in comparison with the drinking water.
Methodology: With the help of clean and sterilized polyethylene bottles of 1 liter capacity have been used for the collection of quarry water. Total 21 physico-chemical parameters have been analyzed and compared with the values for the drinking water. Analysis of water is carried out in the laboratory with the help of standard methods and techniques.
Main Findings: Presence of mercury in quarry water is very much high i-e 0.006 mg/liter and coli form bacteria are also numerous in count.
Applications of this study: This study gives us the idea about the range of the parameters of quarry water in comparison with drinking water and after the suitable treatment it could be converted into drinking water or not.
Novelty/Originality of this study: Till the date no work has been done on quarry water like this, present study will help us to understand whether the quarry water could be used as a potable water or not.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors retain the copyright without restrictions for their published content in this journal. GCTL is a Sherpa Romeo Journal.
- Kumar Singh, A., Das, S., Singh, S., Pradhan, N., Kumar, S., Rani Gajamer, V., D. Lepcha, Y., and H. K. Tiwari, (2018). Physicochemical and microbiological profile of the potable water of Eastern Himalayan State Sikkim: An Indication of Severe Fecal Contamination and Immediate Health Risk. Frontiers in Public Health, Vol.7, pp. 1-35. https://doi.org/10.1101/508283
- Bewiadzi, S., Awubomu, R., and Glover-Meni, N. (2018). Searching and Cracking: Stone Quarrying, Livelihood and the Environment in the Daglama Quarry Site in the Ho Municipality. West African Journal of Applied Ecology, Vol. 26, pp. 149-166.
- Zhang, C., Feng, J., Rong, L., and Zhao, T. (2017). Re vegetation in abandoned quarries with landﬁll stabilized waste and gravels: water dynamics and plant growth – a case study. Solid Earth, 8, 1131–1139. https://doi.org/10.5194/se-8-1131-2017
- Dhote Lina, Arun Kharate, Basavaraj Awati and Saste Ashwini, (2019). A study on Physicochemical and Microbiological Evaluation of Tap Water of Bidar District, India International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences, 8(4): 290-295. https://doi.org/10.20546/ijcmas.2019.804.033
- N. Edokpayi, J., O. Odiyo, J., O. Popoola, E., and A.M. Msagati, T. (2018). Evaluation of Microbiological and Physicochemical Parameters of Alternative Source of Drinking Water: A Case Study of Nzhelele River, South Africa. The Open Microbiology Journal, 12, 18-27. https://doi.org/10.2174/1874285801812010018
- Dr. Kalu, Ezichi, (2018). Environmental impact of stone quarrying activities in Ebonyi state, Nigeria Journal of advanced studies in agricultural, biological and environmental sciences, Vol.5 No.2, pp. 7-22.
- Kalu I. E. and N. J. Ogbonna, (2019). Investigation of environmental effect of stone quarrying activities on soil and water in Akpoha and Ishiagu communities of Ebonyi state, Nigeria International Journal of Construction Management, 2331-2327. https://doi.org/10.1080/15623599.2019.1604115
- Talento, K., Amado, M., and Carlos Kullberg, J. (2020). Quarries: From Abandoned to Renewed Places. Land 2020, 9, 136, pp. 1-21. https://doi.org/10.3390/land9050136
- Ogunsusi, K., and Olusola Adeleke, B. (2019). Bitumen Seepage and Surface Water Contamination: Impact on Physicochemical and Biological Characteristics of Water. Environtropica, Vol. 15, 103 -119.
- Keke U. N., F. O. Arimoro, A. V. Ayanwale and S. M. Aliyu (2015). Physicochemical Parameters and Heavy Metals Content of Surface Water in Downstream Kaduna River, Zungeru, Niger State, Nigeria. Applied Science Research Journal, 3(2): 46 -57.
- Marzouk S.H., (2018). Influences of limestone stone quarries on groundwater quality. International Journal of Human Capital in Urban Management, 3(4), 315-324.
- Özçelik, M. (2016). Environmental pollution and its effect on water sources from marble quarries in western Turkey, Environ Earth Sci, 75:796. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12665-016-5627-0
- Thambi, M., Cherian, T., Therese Jose, A., Jamal, S. (2015). Physico- chemical characteristics of ground water samples from different areas of Thrissur district, Kerala state, India. International journal of environment, Vol. 4 No. 2, pp. 182-192. https://doi.org/10.3126/ije.v4i2.12636
- Nethaji, V., Mariappan, E., Rajan, S., John, P. (2018). Environmental Analysis of Quarry site in Tamilnadu. Indian Journal of Scientific Research, 17(2): 37-45.
- Jannat, N., Md. Abdul Mottalib and Nur Alam, M., (2019). Assessment of Physicochemical Properties of Surface Water of Mokeshbeel, Gazipur Bangladesh. Journal of Environmental Science, 1-6. https://doi.org/10.24966/ESCR-5020/100014
- Nwachukwu, MA., Ojeaga, K., and Chinelo, G. (2018). Critical Issues of Sustainability Associated with Quarry Activities. Aspects in mining and mineral science, Vol. 1 No. 2, pp. 58-65. https://doi.org/10.31031/AMMS.2018.01.000509
- John Oko, O., Olaleke Aremu, M., and Andrew, C. (2017). Evaluation of the physicochemical and heavy metal content of ground water sources in Bantaji and Rafin-Kada settlements of Wukari Local Government Area, Taraba State, Nigeria. Journal of Environmental Chemistry and Ecotoxicology, Vol. 9(4), pp. 43-53. https://doi.org/10.5897/JECE2017.0416
- Isaiah, O., Obunwo, C., Boisa, N., Ihunwo, O. (2019). Quality Assessment of Surface Waters and Sediments of Anya-Ogologo River. Journal of water resources and ocean science, Vol. 8 No.5, pp.77-85. https://doi.org/10.11648/j.wros.20190805.13
- Pensiri Akkajit, Putri Fajriati & Mongkolchai Assawadithalerd, (2018) Metal accumulation in the marine bivalve, Marcia optima collected from the coastal area of Phuket Bay, Thailand. Environmental Science and Pollution Research. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-018-3488-7
- Peter, C., Alozie, MC,. and Azubuine, CE. (2018). Stone Quarrying Impact on Air Soil Water in Ebonyi State, Nigeria. Journal of Pollution Effects & Control, 6:2, 1-4. https://doi.org/10.4172/2375-4397.1000225
- Putaka Ramesh, K. Abraham, B. Suresh T. Damodharam, (2016). Analysis of Physico-Chemical Characteristics of Industrial Effluents in Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh. Journal of Research in Environmental and Earth Science, 2 (9), pp: 01-06.
- Rahmanian N., Siti Hajar Bt Ali, M. Homayoonfard, N.J.Ali, M. Rehan, Y. Sadef and A.S. Nizami (2015). Analysis of Physicochemical Parameters to Evaluate the Drinking Water Quality in the State of Perak, Malaysia. Hindawi Publishing Corporation Journal of Chemistry, pp. 1-10. https://doi.org/10.1155/2015/716125
- Raji, Wa., Anih, Ce., Obeta, Po. (2019). Assessment of Physicochemical Properties and Heavy Metals in Borehole Water Used For Drinking In Okada Town, Edo State, Nigeria. Journal of applied sciences and environmental management, Vol. 23 No. 12, pp. 2205-2209. https://doi.org/10.4314/jasem.v23i12.19
- Chowdhury M.A. S., Mazumder, j., Al-Attas, O., Husain, T. (2016). Heavy metals in drinking water: Occurrences, implications, and future needs in developing countries. Science of the Total Environment, Vol. 569-570, pp.476-488. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2016.06.166
- Sivaranjani, S., Amitava, R., Samrath, S. (2015). Water Quality Assessment with water Quality Indices. International Journal of Bioresource Science, 2(2): 85-89. https://doi.org/10.5958/2454-9541.2015.00003.1
- Sayara, T., Hamdan, Y., Basheer-Salimia, R. (2016) Impact of Air Pollution from Quarrying and Stone Cutting Industries on Agriculture and Plant Biodiversity. Resources and Environment, Vol. 6 No. 6, pp. 122-126.
- Tyulenev, M., Garina, E., Khoreshok, A., Litvin, O., Litvin, Y., Maliu China, E. (2017) A Method of Effective Quarry Water Purifying Using Artificial Filtering Arrays. Earth and environmental science, Vol. 50 No. 1, pp. 1-8 https://doi.org/10.1088/1755-1315/50/1/012035
- Tyulenev M, S. Zhironkina, K. Kolotov And E. Garina, (2016). Background of Innovative Platform for Substitution of Quarry Water Purifying Technology. Poll Res. 35(2), 221-227.
- World Health Organization (2017), Guidelines for drinking-water quality: fourth edition incorporating the first addendum.
- Lesin, Y., Gogolin, V., Murko, E., Markov, S., and Kretschmann, J. (2018). The Choice of Methods of Quarry Wastewater Purifying. International Innovative Mining Symposium, Vol. 41 No. 1, pp. 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1051/e3sconf/20184101039