Authors retain the copyright without restrictions for their published content in this journal. HSSR is a SHERPA ROMEO Green Journal.
THE OUTCOMES OF INDIVIDUAL ABSORPTIVE CAPACITY AMONG ACADEMICIANS IN MALAYSIAN PUBLIC UNIVERSITIES
Corresponding Author(s) : A. Fakhrorazi
Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews,
Vol. 7 No. 1 (2019): January
Purpose of the Study: This paper investigates the ability of Malaysian public universities to achieve high academic standing within the top 100 world ranking universities depending on prolific and multitalented academicians who own multi-skills to support the universities’ academic excellences.
Methodology: A total of 800 questionnaires were distributed to all public universities in Malaysia for the purpose of data collection and a total of 342 questionnaires were returned representing a response rate of 42.75 percent. Data were analyzed using Partial Least Squares (PLS) and Structural Equation Modeling (SEM).
Results: This study has contributed to the nations by highlighting the current capabilities of academic workforce that will either influence or hinder the growth of their knowledge acquisition and innovative behavior that will influence the future of Malaysian academic excellences.
Implications: Academicians are under pressure to be prolific and versatile to achieve their universities’ goals in addition to their multitasking jobs including teaching, publication, consultation, research, and social welfare. Owing to that matter, the study on individual absorptive capacity, which refers to the ability of Malaysian academicians to absorb knowledge that determines their level of learning capabilities and leads to fulfilling universities’ and national agenda, is worth studying.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- H. Hartini, A. Fakhrorazi, Rabiul Islam, THE EFFECTS OF CULTURAL INTELLIGENCE ON TASK PERFORMANCE AND CONTEXTUAL PERFORMANCE: AN EMPIRICAL STUDY ON PUBLIC SECTOR EMPLOYEES IN MALAYSIA , Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews: Vol. 7 No. 1 (2019): January
- Rabiul Islam, Nazariah Osman, Muhammad Fuad Othman, Md. Abu Raihan, IMPACT OF GLOBAL LEADERSHIP BEHAVIORS ON PERFORMANCE OF MULTINATIONAL COMPANIES , Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews: Vol. 7 No. 3 (2019): May
- Rabiul Islam, A. Fakhrorazi, H. Hartini, Md. Abu Raihan, GLOBALIZATION AND ITS IMPACT ON INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS , Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews: Vol. 7 No. 1 (2019): January
- Abdullah, A. A. & Islam, R. (2013). Balanced Scored Evaluating of British Tobacco in Malaysia. Journal of Applied Sciences Research, 9(5): 3301-3310.
- Ahmad, F., & Hartini, H. (2015). Does Individual Absorptive Capacity Matters in Individual Knowledge Acquisition? International Conference on Language, Education, Humanities and Innovation, 100–108.
- Ahmad, F., Mohamad, O., & Ibrahim, H. I. (2013a). Absorptive Capacity and Innovative Behavior among Engineers in Malaysia, 56, 13496–13504.
- Ahmad, F., Mohamad, O., & Ibrahim, H. I. (2013b). Knowledge Acquisition Among Engineers in Mncs. Independent Journal of Management & Production, 4(1), 19–35. http://doi.org/10.14807/ijmp.v4i1.52Accessed on 27 July 2018.
- Al-Homayan, A. M., Shamsudin, F. M. Subramaniam, C. & Islam, R. (2013). Relationship among Job Demand-Resources, Job Stress, Organizational Support and Nurses’ Job Performance. Australian Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences, 7(9): 294-308.
- ALNasser, A., Yusoff, R. Z. & Islam, R. (2013c). Relationship between Hard Total Quality Management Practices and Organizational Performance in Municipalities. American Journal of Applied Sciences,10(10): 1214-1223.
- Al-Nasser, M., Yusoff, R. Z., Islam, R. & ALNasser, A. (2013a). Cultural Differences Identification and Its Effect on E-service Quality Perception. American Journal of Economics and Business Administration, 5(2): 65-74.
- Al-Nasser, M., Yusoff, R. Z., Islam, R. & ALNasser, A. (2013b). E-service Quality and its Effect on Consumers’ Perceptions Trust. American Journal of Economics and Business Administration, 5(2): 47-55.
- Al-Nasser, M., Yusoff, R. Z., Islam, R., Abidin, I. S. Z. & Samsudin, S. (2016a). Mediating Effect of E-service Quality Perceptions on Attitude and Trust toward Online Shopping. International Business Management, 10(3): 228-240.
- Al-Nasser, M., Yusoff, R. Z., Islam, R., Abidin, I. S. Z., Othman, Z. & Khan, S. J. M. (2016b). Moderating Impact of Risk on the Relationship between E-service Quality and Trust. Research journal of Applied Sciences, 11(2): 44-53.
- Amabile, T. M., Conti, R., Coon, H., Lazenby, J., & M, H. (1996). Assessing the work environment for creativity. Academy of Management Journal, 39, 1154–1184.
- Anderson, J. C., & Gerbing, D. W. (1988). Structural equation modeling in practice: A review and recommended two-step approach. Psychological Bulletin, 103(3), 411–423. http://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.103.3.411Accessed on 27 July 2018.
- Anderson, J. R. (1987). Skill acquisition: Compilation of weak-method problem situations. Psychological Review, 94(2), 192–210. http://doi.org/10.1037//0033-295X.94.2.192Accessed on 27 July 2018.
- Barnes, B. R., Leonidou, L. C., Siu, N. Y. M., & Leonidou, C. N. (2015). Interpersonal Factors as Drivers of Quality and Performance in Western–Hong Kong Interorganizational Business Relationships. Journal of International Marketing, 23(1), 23–49. http://doi.org/10.1509/jim.14.0008Accessed on 27 July 2018.
- Bourdieu, P. (1990). The Logic of Practice. Cambridge: Polity Press.
- Cannon, H. M., Geddes, B. C., & Feinstein, A. H. (2014). Experiential strategies for building individual absorptive capacity. Developments in Business Simulation and Experiential Learning, 41, 378–389.
- Cohen, J. (1988). Chi-Square Tests for Goodness of Fit and Contingency Tables. In Statistical Power Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences (2nd ed., pp. 215–271). Elsevier. http://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-179060-8.50012-8Accessed on 27 July 2018.
- Cohen, W., & Levinthal, D. (1990). Absorptive capacity: a new perspective on learning and innovation. Administrative Science Quarterly, 35(1), 128–152.
- Da Silva, N., & Davis, A. R. (2011). Absorptive Capacity at the Individual Level: Linking Creativity to Innovation in Academia. The Review of Higher Education, 34(3), 355–379. http://doi.org/10.1353/rhe.2011.0007Accessed on 27 July 2018.
- de Jong, J. P. J., & Den Hartog, D. N. (2007). How leaders influence employees’ innovative behavior. European Journal of Innovation Management, 10(1), 41–64. http://doi.org/10.1108/14601060710720546Accessed on 27 July 2018.
- Ebers, M., & Maurer, I. (2014). Connections count: How relational embeddedness and relational empowerment foster absorptive capacity. Research Policy, 43(2), 318–332. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.respol.2013.10.017Accessed on 20 February 2018.
- Evangelista, F., & Hau, L. N. (2009). Organizational context and knowledge acquisition in IJVs: An empirical study. Journal of World Business, 44(1), 63–73. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.jwb.2008.03.016 Accessed on 20 February 2018.
- Fichman, R. G., & Kemerer, C. F. (1997). The Assimilation of Software Process Innovations: An Organizational Learning Perspective. Management Science, 43(10), 1345–1363. http://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.43.10.1345 Accessed on 20 February 2018.
- Fornell, C., & Larcker, D. F. (1981). Evaluating Structural Equation Models with Unobservable Variables and Measurement Error. Journal of Marketing Research, 18(1), 39. http://doi.org/10.2307/3151312 Accessed on 20 February 2018.
- Grant, R. A. (1996). Toward a knowledge-based of the firm. Strategic Management Journal, 17(Winter, 109–122.
- Guthrie, J. W. (2002). Encyclopedia of Education (2nd ed.). New York: Macmillan Reference USA. http://doi.org/10.4135/9781483346229 Accessed on 20 February 2018.
- Hair, J. F., Black, W. C., Babin, B. J., & Anderson, R. E. (2010). Multivariate Data Analysis. Vectors. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpharm.2011.02.019 Accessed on 20 February 2018.
- Hamel, G. (1991). Competition for competence and interpartner learning within international strategic alliances. Strategic Management Journal, 12(S1), 83–103. http://doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250120908 Accessed on 20 February 2018.
- Hamzad, B. A. (2015). The need for quality education. Retrieved March 19, 2017, from http://www.thestar.com.my/news/education/2015/01/04/the-need-for-quality-education/ Accessed on 20 February 2018.
- Hashim, J. (2008). Competencies acquisition through self-directed learning among Malaysian managers. Journal of Workplace Learning, 20(4), 259–271. http://doi.org/10.1108/13665620810871114 Accessed on 20 February 2018.
- Huber, G. P. (1991). “Organizational Learning: The Contributing Processes and the Literatures. Organizational Science, (2), 88–115.
- Hurtado, A., Valle, U., Hernan, C., & Valle, U. (2015). Measurement of knowledge absorptive capacity : An estimated indicator for the manufacturing and service sector in Colombia authors (Vol. 9). http://doi.org/10.3232/GCG.2015.V9.N2.01 Accessed on 20 February 2018.
- Islam R. & Al-Homayan, A. M. (2013). Impacts of Job Resources on Nurses’ Performance Working in Public Sector Hospitals. American Journal of Applied Sciences, 10(10): 1224-1233.
- Islam, R. & Abdullah, A. A. (2013). Marketing Implications of Consumer Behavior for Supermarket in Kedah, Malaysia.Australian Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences, 7(6): 479-485, 2013.
- Islam, R. & ALNasser, A. (2013). The Effect of National Culture on Total Quality Management and Organizational Performance. American Journal of Applied Sciences, 10(10): 1191-1200.
- Islam, R.,Ghani, A. B. A., Kusuma, B. & Theseira, B. B. (2016). Education and Human Capital Effect on Malaysian Economic Growth. International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, 6(4): 1722-1728.
- Janssen, O. (2000). Job demands, perceptions of effort-reward fairness and innovative work behavior. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 73(3), 287–302. http://doi.org/10.1348/096317900167038 Accessed on 20 February 2018.
- Khan, S. J. M., Samsudin, S. & Islam, R. (2017). Efficiency on Banking in Southeast Asia: Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines and Thailand. International Journal of Social Economics, 44(12): 2302-2312.
- Ko, D.-G., Kirsch, L. J., & King, W. R. (2005). Antecedents of Knowledge Transfer from Consultants to Clients in Enterprise System Implementations. MIS Quarterly, 29(1), 59–85.
- Kwok, S. H., & Gao, S. (2016). Attitude towards Knowledge Sharing Behavior. Journal of Computer Information Systems, 46(2), 45–51. Retrieved from http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/citedby/10.1080/08874417.2006.11645882?scroll=top&needAccess=true Accessed on 20 February 2018.
- Lemon, M., & Sahota, P. S. (2004). Organizational culture as a knowledge repository for increased innovative capacity. Technovation, 24(6), 483–498. http://doi.org/10.1016/S0166-4972(02)00102-5 Accessed on 20 February 2018.
- Lichtenthaler, U., & Lichtenthaler, E. (2009). A Capability-Based Framework for Open Innovation: Complementing Absorptive Capacity. Journal of Management Studies, 46(8), 1315–1338. http://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-6486.2009.00854.x Accessed on 20 February 2018.
- Liu, L., Feng, Y., Hu, Q., & Huang, X. (2011). From transactional user to VIP: how organizational and cognitive factors affect ERP assimilation at individual level. European Journal of Information Systems, 20(2), 186–200. http://doi.org/10.1057/ejis.2010.66 Accessed on 12 January 2018.
- Löwik, S. (2013, April 24). Micro-foundations of absorptive capacity : a study on knowledge processes for innovation in SMEs. University of Twente, Enschede, The Netherlands. http://doi.org/10.3990/1.9789036535298 Accessed on 12 January 2018.
- Lyles, M. A., & Salk, J. E. (2007). Knowledge acquisition from foreign parents in international joint ventures: an empirical examination in the Hungarian context. Journal of International Business Studies, 38(1), 3–18. http://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.jibs.8400243 Accessed on 12 January 2018.
- Marcoulides, G. A., Chin, W. W., & Saunders, C. (2009). A critical look at partial least squares modeling. MIS Quarterly, 33(1), 171–175.
- Messmann, G., & Mulder, R. H. (2012). Development of a measurement instrument for innovative work behavior as a dynamic and context-bound construct. Human Resource Development International, 15(1), 43–59. http://doi.org/10.1080/13678868.2011.646894 Accessed on 12 January 2018.
- Minbaeva, Dana B.; Mäkelä, Kristiina; & Rabbiosi, L. (2010). Explaining intra-organizational Knowledge transfer at the individual level. Center for Strategic Management and Globalization. Retrieved from http://openarchive.cbs.dk/bitstream/handle/10398/8001/SMGWP2010_1.pdf?sequence=1 Accessed on 12 January 2018.
- Ministry of Education Malaysia. (2015). Malaysia Education Blueprint 2015-2025 (Higher Education). Ministry of Education Malaysia. Kementerian Pendidikan Malaysia. http://doi.org/10.5923/j.ijis.20120206.05 Accessed on 12 January 2018.
- MOHE. (2015). Statistik Pendidikan Tinggi 2015. Malaysia: Kementerian Pendidikan Tinggi (KPT). Retrieved from https://www.mohe.gov.my/ms/muat-turun/awam/statistik/2015/217-bab-2-universiti-awam-1/file Accessed on 12 January 2018.
- Mumford, M. D., Scott, G. M., Gaddis, B., & Strange, J. M. (2002). Leading creative people: Orchestrating expertise and relationships. The Leadership Quarterly, 13(6), 705–750. http://doi.org/10.1016/S1048-9843(02)00158-3 Accessed on 12 January 2018
- Murray, J. Y., & Chao, M. C. H. (2005). A Cross-Team Framework of International Knowledge Acquisition on New Product Development Capabilities and New Product Market Performance. Journal of International Marketing, 13(3), 54–78. http://doi.org/10.1509/jimk.13.3.54 Accessed on 12 January 2018.
- Mykytyn, P. P., Mykytyn, K., & Raja, M. K. (1994). Knowledge acquisition skills and traits: A self-assessment of knowledge engineers. Information & Management, 26(2), 95–104. http://doi.org/10.1016/0378-7206(94)90057-4 Accessed on 12 January 2018
- Parker, L. (1992). Collecting data the e-mail way. Training and Development, 46(7), 52–54.
- Patterson, F. (2015). Characteristics & Behaviours of Innovative People in Organisations Characteristics & Behaviours of Innovative People in Organisations Literature review A paper prepared for NESTA Policy Dr Máire Kerrin Geraldine Gatto-Roissard, (October).
- Pedrosa, A. D. M., & Jasmand, C. (2011). Individual level absorptive capacity. Copenhagen: Copenhagen Business School: DRUID 2011.
- Perkmann, M., Tartari, V., McKelvey, M., Autio, E., Brostr, M. A., & Sobrero, M. (2013). Academic engagement and commercialisation: A review of the literature on university-industry relations. Research Policy, 42(2), 423–442. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.respol.2012.09.007 Accessed on 12 January 2018.
- Politis, J. D. (2005). The influence of managerial power and credibility on knowledge acquisition attributes. Leadership & Organization Development Journal, 26(3), 197–214. http://doi.org/10.1108/01437730510591752
- Prod, G., Carlos, S., Valio, R., & Gonzalez, D. (2016). Knowledge Management Process : a theoretical-conceptual research.
- QS Top Universities. (2017). QS University Rankings: Asia 2016. Retrieved March 12, 2017, from https://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/asian-university-rankings/2016 Accessed on 12 January 2018.
- Richards, G. S., & Duxbury, L. (2015). Work-Group Knowledge Acquisition in Knowledge Intensive Public-Sector Organizations: An Exploratory Study. Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory, 25(4), 1247–1277. http://doi.org/10.1093/jopart/muu034 Accessed on 12 January 2018.
- Rossi, F., & Rosli, A. (2013). Indicators of university-industry knowledge transfer performance and their implications for universities: Evidence from the UK’s HE-BCI survey. Birkbeck & Univ. of Wolverhampton, (13), 1–24.
- Saad, A. M., Islam, R., Noor, M. S. Z., Ali, J. & Zainal, Z. (2016). Consequences of Service Quality in the Insurance Industry: A Case Study on Saudi Arabia Insurance Industry. International Business Management, 10(3): 209-216.
- Sarker, M. S. & Islam, R. (2013). Competitive Market of Air Industry and Competitive Advantages for Customer Satisfaction through Pricing Strategy of Air-Asia. Journal of Applied Sciences Research, 9(4): 2505-2512.
- Saunders, M. N. K., Lewis, P., & Thornhill, A. (2015). Research Methods for Business Students (7th ed.). Pearson Education Limited.
- Schaefer, D. R., & Dillman, D. A. (1998). Development of a standard e-mail methodology: Results of an experiment. Public Opinion Quarterly, 62(3), 378–397.
- Scott, S. G., & Bruce, R. A. (1994). DETERMINANTS OF INNOVATIVE BEHAVIOR: A PATH MODEL OF INDIVIDUAL INNOVATION IN THE WORKPLACE. Academy of Management Journal, 37(3), 580–607. http://doi.org/10.2307/256701 Accessed on 12 January 2018.
- Sekaran, U. (2003). Research Methods for Business. (4, Ed.).
- Spreitzer, G. M. (1995). Psychological Empowerment in the Workplace : Dimensions , Measurement , and Validation. Academy of Management Journal, 38(5), 1442–1465. http://doi.org/10.2307/256865 Accessed on 12 January 2018.
- Tang, F., Mu, J., & MacLachlan, D. L. (2010). Disseminative capacity, organizational structure and knowledge transfer. Expert Systems with Applications, 37(2), 1586–1593. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2009.06.039 Accessed on 12 January 2018
- Ter Wal, A., Criscuolo, P., & Salter, A. (2011). Absorptive capacity at the individual level: an ambidexterity approach to external engagement. Druid 2011, 36.
- Thuc Anh, P. T., Christopher Baughn, C., Minh Hang, N. T., & Neupert, K. E. (2006). Knowledge acquisition from foreign parents in international joint ventures: An empirical study in Vietnam. International Business Review, 15(5), 463–487. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.ibusrev.2006.05.004 Accessed on 12 January 2018.
- Van de Ven, A. H. (1986). Central Problems in the Management of Innovation. Management Science, 32(5), 590–607. http://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.32.5.590 Accessed on 12 January 2018.
- Williams, R., Rassenfosse, G. De, Jensen, P., & Marginson, S. (2014). U21 Ranking of National Higher Education Systems. Universitas 21. University of Melbourne: Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research. Retrieved from http://www.universitas21.com/news/details/147/u21-ranking-of-national-higher-education-systems-2014. Accessed on 12 January 2018.
- Woodman, R. W., Sawyer, J. E., & Griffin, R. W. (1993). Toward a theory of organizational creativity. Academy of Management Review, 18, 293–321.
- Zahra, S. A., & George, G. (2002). Absorptive Capacity: A Review, Reconceptualization, and Extension. The Academy of Management Review, 27(2), 185–203.
- Zhang, J., Baden-Fuller, C., & Mangematin, V. (2007). Technological knowledge base, R&D organization structure and alliance formation: Evidence from the biopharmaceutical industry. Research Policy, 36(4), 515–528. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.respol.2007.02.015. Accessed on 12 January 2018.
- Zikmund, W. G., Babin, B. J., Carr, J. C., & Griffin, M. (2013). Business research methods. Canada: Erin Joyner.
- Zou, B., Guo, F., Guo, J., Anderson, C., Zeithaml, C., Barsila, S., & George, G. (2016). Absorptive capacity, technological innovation, and product life cycle: a system dynamics model. SpringerPlus, 5(1), 1662. http://doi.org/10.1186/s40064-016-3328-5. Accessed on 12 January 2018.