This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors retain ownership of the copyright for their content.
THE EFFECT OF USING POSSE STRATEGY IN TRAINING AND DEVELOPMENT COMPREHENSION READING SKILLS AMONGST SIXTH GRADERS
Corresponding Author(s) : Tareq Mohamad Alyatim
Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews,
Vol. 8 No. 2 (2020): March
Purpose of the study: This study aims to measure the effectiveness of using P.O.S.S.E strategy in the development of teaching to improve reading comprehension skills for sixth-grade students.
Methodology: The procedure used is an experimental method based on Stratified Sampling which consists of 43 students divided into two groups – a control group of 21 students and an experimental group of 22 students- and a lesson plan was designed as a tool.
Main Findings: The outcomes of the study indicated that the POSSE strategy has a positive effect on the development of reading comprehension skills over its five levels among the representative sample of sixth graders.
Applications of this study: It is an essential reference in the development of teaching and training teachers to adapt to the P.O.S.S.E strategy for teachers, student educators.
Novelty/Originality of this study: The result of this study is consistent with previous studies, which investigated the efficacy of POSSE strategy on the development of reading comprehension skills.
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- Abu, A.,& Rajaa M. (2004). Research Methods in Psychological and Educational Sciences. Fourth edition. Publishing House for Universities. https://doi.org/10.1093/gmo/9781561592630.article.L2267641
- Ahmed, &Faisal B. (2014). The impact of the use of RAP-SQ3R-KWL strategies in the teaching of reading in the development of reading comprehension skills and reasoning thinking among the fourth-grade students of basic education in Damascus governorate.(Unpublished Ph.D. thesis). Faculty of Education. Damascus University.
- Alimat, Hamoud,&Mohammed, R. (2011). The Effect of Interactive Strategic Reading on Levels of Reading Comprehension and Deductive Thinking among Sixth Grade Students in Jordan. Journal of Social Studies, Issue (33), Faculty of Educational Sciences, Al-Bayt University. https://doi.org/10.1002/elps.201600383
- Alber-Morgan, S. R., Ramp, E. M., Anderson, L. L., &Martin, C. M. (2007). Effects of repeated readings, error correction, and performance feedback on the fluency and comprehension of middle school students with behavior problems. The Journal of Special Education, 41(1), 17-30. https://doi.org/10.1177/00224669070410010201
- Aprilia, N. (2015). Improving reading comprehension of the eighth-grade students at SMPN 6 Yogyakarta through posse strategy in the academic year of 2014/2015.(Unpublished Doctoral dissertation). Faculty of Languages And Arts State University Of Yogyakarta. https://doi.org/10.29333/iji.2019.12444a
- Arianti, G., & Tiarina, Y. (2014). Teaching reading analytical exposition text to senior high school students by using posse (predict, organize, search, summarize, evaluate) strategy. Journal of English Language Teaching, 3(1), 195-201. https://doi.org/10.31227/osf.io/ghk4q
- Bari, A. & Shaaban, Sh. (2010). Reading comprehension strategies, founded by theory and practical applications. First edition. Dar Al Masirah for Publishing, Distribution, and Printing. https://doi.org/10.24818/EA/2019/S13/845
- Bimmel, P., & Van Schooten, E. (2004). The relationship between strategic reading activities and reading comprehension. L1-Educational studies in Language and Literature, 4(1), 85-102. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:ESLL.0000033844.88918.e7
- Bousais, &Hatem H. (2015). The level of representation of reading comprehension skills in Arabic language training for students of the fifth grade. Journal of Arts. Issue 111, pp. 615-640.
- DeVilles, R. F. (1991). Scale development: theory and applications. Newbury Park, CA. https://doi.org/10.1177/014662169101500413
- Dulaimi, Taha A., Waeli, &Souad A. K. (2005). Arabic Language Curriculum and Methods of Teaching. First edition. Dar Al-Shoroukfor Publishing and Distribution. https://doi.org/10.24842/1611/0012
- Fabrikant, W., Siekierski, N., & Williams, C. (1999). Improving Students' Inferential and Literal Reading Comprehension. https://doi.org/10.1533/9781782420453.2.163
- Habibullah, &Mohammed. (2000). Principles of reading and understanding of the reading between theory and practice: introduction to the development of understanding, thinking and learning skills. Second edition. Dar Ammar. https://doi.org/10.1093/benz/9780199773787.article.B00082172
- Hamid, A. & Abdul, H. A. (2000). Effectiveness of using specific cognitive strategies in the development of some of the higher reading comprehension skills of 10th-grade students. Journal of reading and knowledge. Faculty of Education, Ain Shams University, (2). 192-231. https://doi.org/10.1163/_eifo_SIM_2672
- Hasaballah, &Mohammed, A. H. (2009). General teaching methods. Qassim University. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejenta.2014.06.004
- Issawi, & Abdul, R. (2004). Design of psychological, social and educational research: Studies in the interpretation of human behavior. Cairo University: DarulRatib. https://doi.org/10.2307/2147758
- Jaballah, &Mohamed, S. (1997). Developing reading comprehension skills among 11th-grade students. Conference on "Education Tomorrow in the Arab World". Journal of the Faculty of Education, UAE University, First edition, 702-723. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1026622702637
- Jameel, A. S. (2017). The Effectiveness of POSSE Strategy on Improving Reading Comprehension of the EFL University Students. International Journal of English Literature and Social Sciences, 2(4). https://doi.org/10.24001/ijels.2.4.15
- Karlin, R. (1977). Teaching reading in high school: Improving reading in content areas.
- Maha, E. R., & Sibarani, B. (2013). The Effect of Applying POSSE (Predict-Organize-Search-Summarize-Evaluate) on the Students’ Reading Comprehension. GENRE Journal of Applied Linguistics of FBS Unimed, 2(1).DO https://doi.org/10.24114/genre.v2i1.725
- Makhzoumi, Nasser, Batayneh, &Ziad. (2012). The impact of using POSSE strategy in improving reading comprehension and expressive writing in the faculty of the elementary stage in Jordan.Journal of Arab Studies in Education and Psychology, Part II, Number (26). https://doi.org/10.1590/S0103-40142007000300023
- Mostafa, &Ahmed, F. Y. (2011). The effectiveness of an educational program based on the Cambridge University standards of the mother tongue in the development of written expression and reading comprehension among the students of the upper elementary stage in the Sultanate of Oman.(Unpublished Ph.D. thesis). Faculty of Educational and Psychological Sciences, Amman Arab University. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.urology.2012.12.070
- Nabhan, &Mousa. (2004). The basics of measurement in behavioral sciences. First edition. Dar Al Shorouk for Publishing and Distribution. https://doi.org/10.1163/_eifo_SIM_5700
- Naqah, Mahmoud K, Hafez, &Wahid S. (2002). Arabic Language education: Beginnings and Techniques. C. Faculty of Education, Ain Shams University. https://doi.org/10.1109/TENCON.1996.608459
- Neumann, V. S., Ross, D. K., &Slaboch, A. F. (2008). Increasing reading comprehension of elementary students through fluency-based interventions. (Master Thesis). Available from ERIC Number: ED500847. https://doi.org/10.1093/ww/9780199540884.013.36743
- Pesa, N. & Somers, S. (2007). Improving Reading Comprehension through Application and Transfer of Reading Strategies.(Master Thesis). Available from ERIC Number: ED496540. https://doi.org/10.25272/j.2149-8385
- Rabihat, &Ghazi M. A. (2009). The impact of teaching in accordance with POSSE stratefy in the absorption of literary text and critical thinking among students of the elementary stage in Jordan. (Unpublished Ph.D. thesis). College of Higher Education Studies, Amman Arab University for Graduate Studies. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1537-2995.1987.tb04021.x
- Sidawi, &Khaled,Y. (2015). The impact of using POSSE strategy on the development of reading comprehension skills among fourth-grade students.(Unpublished master thesis). Islamic University. https://doi.org/10.3390/buildings4020244
- Sloat, E., Beswick, J., &Willms, J. (2007). Using early literacy monitoring to prevent reading failure. Phi Delta Kappan, 88(7), 523-529. https://doi.org/10.1177/003172170708800711
- Snow, C. (2002). Reading for Understanding. Towards an R&D Program in Reading Comprehension (No. Mr-1465-Deri). Rand Corp Santa Monica Ca. https://doi.org/10.7551/mitpress/1888.003.0029
- Ta'ima, Rushdi, A.,Shaabi,& Muhammad, A. (2006). Teaching reading and literature: different strategies for a diverse audience. First edition, Arab Thought House. https://doi.org/10.21825/agora.v22i4.8972
- Thompson, S. (2000). Effective Content Reading Comprehension and Retention Strategies.(Doctoral dissertation) available fromERIC Number: ED440372. https://doi.org/10.1037/e413782005-870
- UNESCO. (2005). Education pourstous: L'exigence du qualité, Rapport Mondial de suivisurl'éducation pour tous. Paris: UNESCO. https://unesdoc.unesco.org/ark:/48223/pf0000137403
- Zutell, J., &Rasinski, T. V. (2001). Training teachers to attend to their students’ oral reading fluency. Theory into Practice, 30(3), 211-217. https://doi.org/10.1080/00405849109543502