This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors retain the copyright without restrictions for their published content in this journal. HSSR is a SHERPA ROMEO Green Journal.
ADDRESSING THE NOTION OF SOCIO-CULTURAL CONTINUUM SEEN THROUGH THE CHORAL ART AS IT DEVELOPED THROUGHOUT INDEPENDENCE OF UKRAINE: LITERATURE REVIEW
Corresponding Author(s) : Oleksandr M. Marach
Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews,
Vol. 8 No. 3 (2020): May
Purpose of the study: The purpose of the present study is to specify the notion of socio-cultural continuum seen through the choral art as it developed throughout independence in Ukraine and to identify its main tendencies as drivers of choral art development. In this regard, the research tasks are to investigate the meaning of the concepts of “continuum”, “socio-cultural continuum,” and to identify the main socio-cultural tendencies that, in our opinion, have the most significant influence on the development of choral art.
Methodology: This study used a meta-analysis approach to solve the issues raised in the research. Reference sources, peer-reviewed databases like Education Resources Information Centre (ERIC), Scopus, Arts & Humanities Database, the Choral Scholar (online journal), Google Scholar, together with open-source-published researches and books (published either in Ukrainian or English) were used to obtain the relevant information.
Main findings: It was found, that the socio-cultural continuum in Ukraine of the period of independence emerges as a complex hierarchical system of phenomena characterized by an inextricable link between the Spatio-temporal parameters of human beings, society, and culture.
Applications of this study: Interpreting this concept in relation to the development of choral art as an imaginary model of a single socio-cultural space-time in Ukraine (region) occurring throughout the independence period in all the continuous hierarchical multiplicity of its phenomena related to the functioning of choral art identified several major trends that, in our opinion, were influenced by the intensity and nature of such development. This period, as a transition period characterized by a change in outlook, the revival of previously forbidden traditions, and the emergence of new socio-cultural trends not only intensified the development but also caused several challenges that Ukrainian society faced.
Novelty/Originality of this study: This scientific exploration was an attempt to understand the theoretical essence of this continuum and its tendencies, which in the future will allow knowing more about their positive and negative orientations and ways.
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- Adorno, T. W. (2002). Essays on music. Selected, with the introduction, commentary, and notes by Richard Leppert. The new translation by Susan H. Gillespie. University of California Press.
- Chekan, Y. (2012). A Millennial Tradition: the Choral Art of Ukraine. http://icb.ifcm.net/en_US/millennial-tradition-choral-art-ukraine/
- Cohen, P. J. (2008). Set Theory and the Continuum Hypothesis. Dover Publications, Inc.
- Drummond, L. (1980). The Cultural Continuum: A Theory of Intersystems. Man, 15(2), 352-374. https://doi.org/10.2307/2801676 DOI: https://doi.org/10.2307/2801676
- Ferrell, M. A. (2015). Choral Conductors and Voice Teachers: Finding Common Ground. The Choral Scholar: TheOnline Journal of the National Collegiate Choral Organisation, 5(1), 30-42.
- Forcini, S., Maturo, A., & Ventrec, A. G. S. (2013). The Role of Folk Dance in the Processes of Individual and Social Wellbeing: A Comparison with Other Popular Recreational Activities Through Models of Decision Theory and Game Theory. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 84(9), 1750-1756. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2013.07.026 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2013.07.026
- Hall, H. (2013). The Impact of Postmodernism on the Social Functioning of Young Adults. Unpublished Dissertation Abstract.The University of Pretoria.
- Hong, Q. N., &Pluye, P. (2019). A Conceptual Framework for Critical Appraisal in Systematic Mixed Studies Reviews. Journal of Mixed Method Research, 13(4),446-460. https://doi.org/10.1177/1558689818770058 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/1558689818770058
- Kiyanovska, L., Lastovetska-Solanskaya, Z., Pilatiuk, O., &Skoryk, A. (2011). Essays in Musical Sociology: instructional manual. Spolom.
- Kozak, O. I. (2009). Conflict in Music: Symphonic Inversions in the Socio-Cultural Space: Monograph.Publishing House for Kharkiv State Academy of Culture.
- McAndrew, S. (2017). Sociology of Music. Sociology. https://doi.org/10.1093/obo/9780199756384-0198 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/obo/9780199756384-0198
- McInerney, D. M., Walker, R. A., &Liem, G. A. (Eds.) (2011). Socio-cultural Theories of Learning and Motivation: Looking Back, Looking Forward (Research on Socio-cultural Influences on Motivation and Learning).Information Age Publishing.
- Oleksiuk, O. (Ed.) (2018). Professional Artistic Education and Culture within Modern Global Transformations. Cambridge Scholar Publishing.
- Ornovska, L., &Oleksin, H. (2011). Development of Modern Choir Art (To share best practices of “Zorinka” Children's Choral School, Ternopil). Youth and the Market, 10(81), 96-99.
- Pachucki, M. A., Pendergrass, S., & Lamont, M. (2007). Boundary processes: Recent theoretical developments and new contributions. Poetics, 35(6), 331-351. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.poetic.2007.10.001 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.poetic.2007.10.001
- Platt, J. (1995). The United States Reception of Durkheim’s The Rules of Sociological Method. Sociological Perspectives, 38(1), 77-105. https://doi.org/10.2307/1389263 DOI: https://doi.org/10.2307/1389263
- Popovich, O. (2002). Ukrainian Music Life in Przemysl (1919-1999). Unpublished Dissertation Abstract. Lviv State-owned Music Academy named after M. Lysenko.
- Puchko-Kolesnik, Yu. (2009). The activity of the choir conductor as a socio-cultural phenomenon. Unpublished Dissertation Abstract. Lviv State-owned Music Academy named after M. Lysenko.
- Pylatiuk, O. (2006). The Original Performance of a Piece of Music as a Phenomenon of the Contemporary Sociocultural Continuum. Unpublished Dissertation Abstract. Lviv State-owned Music Academy named after M. Lysenko.
- Semashko, O. M., Pich, V. M., & Pogorely, O. I. (2002). Sociology of Culture: Manual. Caravella Publisher.
- Shved, M. (2010). Trends in the development of international contemporary music festivals: Monograph. Spolom.
- Skoryk, A. (2009). Music Programs Broadcasted through Regional Television in The Information Space of the Contemporaneity (On the Example of Programs of Lviv Television). Unpublished Dissertation Abstract. Lviv State-owned Music Academy named after M. Lysenko.
- Sparks, T. N. (2019). The Choral Conductor as Bard in Motion. The Choral Scholar: TheOnline Journal of the National Collegiate Choral Organisation, 8(1), 17-29.
- Sungurtekin, M. (2009). The historical evolution of music education and position today in T.R.N.C. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 1(1), 1899-1904. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2009.01.334 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2009.01.334
- Svidzinsky, A. (2004). Can different cultural practices be harmonized? State-Building: An Independent Socio-Political Journal, 4(6), 2-17.
- Svidzinsky, A. (2009). The Synergetic Concept of Culture. Volyn Regional Publishing House.
- Turley, A. C. (2001). Max Weber and the Sociology of Music.Sociological Forum, 16(4),633-653. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1012833928688 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1012833928688
- Ukraine World. (2018).10 Reasons Why Ukrainian Music is a World-Class Phenomenon. https://ukraineworld.org/articles/ukraine-explained/10-reasons-why-ukrainian-music-world-class-phenomenon
- Zinkevich, A. (2009). The Logic of the Artistic Process as a Historical and Methodological Problem. Stavropigian Philosophical Studies: Collection of Scientific Papers, 3, 45-55.
- Zinkevich, O. S., &Chekan, Yu. (2007). The Musical Criticize. Theory and Methodology: Instructional Manual.Knygy – XXI Publisher.
- Zuev, S. (2007). Modern Cultural Space and Semiotics of Music Festival (based on best practice in Kharkiv). Unpublished Dissertation Abstract. Kharkiv State Academy of Culture.