Authors retain the copyright without restrictions for their published content in this journal. HSSR is a SHERPA ROMEO Green Journal.
IMPACT OF AWARENESS AND KNOWLEDGE ON THE FINANCIAL BOOTSTRAPPING STRATEGIES UTILIZED BY IMMIGRANT ENTREPRENEURS IN SOUTH AFRICA
Corresponding Author(s) : Robertson Khan Tengeh
Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews,
Vol. 8 No. 3 (2020): May
Purpose of the study: This paper investigated the extent to which the awareness and knowledge of financial bootstrapping determined the techniques used by immigrant entrepreneurs in the retail clothing sector in the Cape Town metropolitan area.
Methodology: A quantitative research approach was used to collect and analyze data. Through self-administered questionnaires, 135 respondents participated in the study. The data obtained were analyzed using the Statistical Package for the Social Sciences (SPSS) software, version 24.
Main Findings: The results point to the fact that while the respondents made use of a wide range of financial bootstrapping techniques, there was no sufficient evidence to support the fact that this was influenced by their level of awareness and knowledge of these methods. Even the respondents with limited or no knowledge of the concept of financial bootstrapping applied the strategies in their businesses.
Applications of this study: This paper may directly benefit immigrant entrepreneurs, besides informing future research and policy.
Novelty/Originality of this study: This paper validates the extent to which awareness and knowledge of financial bootstrapping influences the strategies utilized by immigrant entrepreneurs in South Africa.
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- Alcock, J. & Steiner, E. (2017). Unexpected Inflation, capital structure, and real risk‐adjusted firm performance. Abacus, 53(2):273-298. https://doi.org/10.1111/abac.12102
- Alvi, M. (2016). A manual for selecting sampling techniques in research.https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de/70218/1/MPRA_paper_70218.pdf.
- Asoba, S.N. & Tengeh, R.K. (2016). Analysis of start-up challenges of African immigrant-owned businesses in selected craft markets in Cape Town. Environmental Economics, 7(2):97-105. https://doi.org/10.21511/ee.07(2).2016.10
- Åstbro, T. & Bernhardt, I. (2005). The winner’s curse of human capital. Small Business Economics, 24(1):63-78. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11187-005-3097-y
- Bakari, M. & Diala-Nettles, I. (2015). Microenterprise owners: challenges with initialization, growth, and success. International Journal of Advancements in Research & Technology, 4(7):78-82.
- Bhide, A. (1992). Bootstrap finance: the art of start-ups. Harvard Business Review, 70(6):109-117.
- Blackburn, R. & Ram, M. (2006). Fix or fixation? The contributions and limitations of entrepreneurship and small firms to combating social exclusion. Entrepreneurship and Regional Development, 18(1):73-89. https://doi.org/10.1080/08985620500419566
- Blackburn, R. & Rutherford, R. (1999). Enterprise for culturally diverse communities: a survey of ethnic minority businesses in the AZTEC area. Kingston: Surrey.
- Bollingtoft, A., Ulhoi, J.P., Madsen, H. &Neergaard, H. (2003). The effect of financial factors on the performance of new venture companies in high tech and knowledge-intensive industries: an empirical study in Denmark. International Journal of Management, 20(4):548-556..
- Carter, R.B. & Van Auken, H. (2005). Bootstrap financing and owners’ perceptions of their business constraints and opportunities. Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, 17(2):129-144. https://doi.org/10.1080/08985620500067548
- Cassar, G. (2004). The financing of business start-ups. Journal of Business Venturing, 19(2):261-283. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0883-9026(03)00029-6
- Chandra, V., Moorty, L., Nganou, J.P., Rajaratnam, B. & Schaefer, K. (2001). Constraints to growth and employment in South Africa. Report No. 2: Evidence from the small, medium, and microenterprise firm survey. Washington, DC: World Bank.
- Chrysostome, E. (2010). The success factors of necessity immigrant entrepreneurs: in search of a model. Thunderbird International Business Review, 52(2):137-152. https://doi.org/10.1002/tie.20320
- Crush, J. & Tawodzera, G. (2017). Comparing Refugees and South Africans in the Urban Informal Sector. Ontario: Southern African Migration Programme. https://doi.org/10.1108/13552550910967930
- Dalhammar, T. (2004). Voices of entrepreneurship and small business: immigrant enterprises in Kista, Stockholm. Unpublished Ph.D. thesis. Stockholm: KungligaTekniskahögskolan.
- Ebben, J. 2009. Bootstrapping and the financial condition of small firms. International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behavior & Research, 15(4):346-363. https://doi.org/10.1108/13552550910967930
- Fatoki, O. (2013). An investigation into the financial bootstrapping methods used by immigrant entrepreneurs in South Africa. Journal of Economics, 4(2):89-96. https://doi.org/10.1080/09765239.2013.11884968
- Fatoki, O. (2014). The financial bootstrapping methods employed by new micro-enterprises in the retail sector in South Africa. Mediterranean Journal of Social Sciences, 5(3):72-80. https://doi.org/10.5901/mjss.2014.v5n3p72
- Fatoki, O. & Patswawairi, T. (2017). The motivations and obstacles to immigrant entrepreneurship in South Africa. Journal of Social Sciences, 32(2):133-142. https://doi.org/10.1080/09718923.2012.118930599.
- Freear, J., Sohl, J.E. & Wetzel Jr, W.E. (1995). Angels: personal investors in the venture capital market. Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, 7(1), pp.85-94. https://doi.org/10.1080/08985629500000005
- Gosling, S.D., Gaddis, S. & Vazire, S. (2007). Personality impressions based on Facebook profiles. Icwsm, 7:1-4. https://doi.org/10.1037/e633982013-216
- Gebru, H. (2009). Financing preferences of micro and small enterprise owners in Tigray: does POH hold? Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development, 16(2):322-334. https://doi.org/10.1108/14626000910956083
- Greco, A., & De Jong, G. (2017). Sustainable entrepreneurship: Definitions, themes, and research gaps. Centre for Sustainable Entrepreneurship, University of Groningen, The Netherlands. Retrieved from http://www.rug.nl/cf/pdfs/wps6angela.pdf
- Harrison, R.T., Mason, C.M. & Girling, P. (2004). Financial bootstrapping and venture development in the software industry. Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, 16(4):307-33. https://doi.org/10.1080/0898562042000263276
- Hite, J.M. & Hesterly, W.S. (2001). The evolution of firm networks: from emergence to the early growth of the firm. Strategic Management Journal, 22(3):275-286. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.156
- Honig, B. 1998. Immigrant America? How foreignness "solves" democracy's problems. Social Text, 56(16):1-27. https://doi.org/10.2307/466763
- Kalitanyi, V. & Visser, K. (2010). African immigrants in South Africa: job takers or job creators? South African Journal of Economic and Management Sciences, 13(4):376-390. https://doi.org/10.4102/sajems.v13i4.91
- Katila, S. & Wahlbeck, Ö. (2012). The role of (transnational) social capital in the start-up processes of immigrant businesses: the case of Chinese and Turkish restaurant businesses in Finland. International Small Business Journal, 30(3):294-309. https://doi.org/10.1177/0266242610383789
- Khosa, R.M. & Kalitanyi, V. (2014). Challenges in operating micro-enterprises by African foreign entrepreneurs in Cape Town, South Africa. Mediterranean Journal of Social Sciences, 5(10):205. https://doi.org/10.5901/mjss.2014.v5n10p205
- Kushnirovich, N. & Heilbrunn, S. (2008). Financial funding of immigrant businesses. Journal of Developmental Entrepreneurship, 13(02):167-184. https://doi.org/10.1142/S1084946708000910
- Kloosterman, R. & Rath, J. (2001). Immigrant entrepreneurs in advanced economies: mixed embeddedness further explored. Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, 27(2):189-2. https://doi.org/10.1080/13691830020041561
- Lose, T. & Tengeh, R.K. (2015). The sustainability and challenges of business incubators in the Western Cape Province, South Africa. Sustainability.7, 14344-14357. https://doi.org/10.3390/su71014344
- Mosakowski, E. (2017). Overcoming resource disadvantages in entrepreneurial firms: When less is more. Strategic entrepreneurship: creating a new mindset. Ed. Hitt, M.A., Ireland, R.D., Camp, S.M., & Sexton, D.L. New York: Wiley. 106-126. https://doi.org/10.1002/9781405164085.ch6
- Neeley, L. & Van Auken, H. (2009). The relationship between owner characteristics and the use of bootstrap financing methods. Journal of Small Business & Entrepreneurship, 22(4):399-412. https://doi.org/10.1080/08276331.2009.10593462
- Nestorowicz, J. (2011). Known knowns and known unknowns of immigrant self-employment: selected issues. CMR Working Papers (No. 45/103). Warsaw: University of Warsaw.
- Payne, W.H. 2007. Bootstrapping your business. Kauffman eVenturing: the entrepreneur’s trusted guide to high growth. http://www.eventuring.org.
- Perry, J.T., Chandler, G.N., Yao, X. & Wolff, J. (2011). Bootstrapping techniques and new venture emergence. New England Journal of Entrepreneurship, 14(1):35-45. https://doi.org/10.1108/NEJE-14-01-2011-B003
- Ram, M., Theodorakopoulos, N. & Jones, T. (2008). Forms of capital, mixed embeddedness, and Somali enterprise. Work, employment, and society, 22(3):427-446. https://doi.org/10.1177/0950017008093479
- Rian, M. 2017. Why immigrants succeed. Johannesburg: Institute for Race Relations. http://www.politicsweb.co.za.
- Robert, A., Blackburn, M. & Wainwright, H. (2013). Small business performance: business, strategy, and owner-manager characteristics. Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development, (20)1: 8-27. https://doi.org/10.1108/14626001311298394
- Roberts, P., Priest, H. & Traynor, M. (2006). Reliability and validity in research. Nursing Standard, 20: 41-45. https://doi.org/10.7748/ns2006.07.20.44.41.c6560
- Saunders, M., Lewis, P. & Thornhill, A. (2009). Research methods for business students. 6th ed. Harlow, Essex: Pearson education.
- Seghers, A., Manigart, S. & Vanacker, T. (2012). The impact of human and social capital on entrepreneurs’ knowledge of finance alternatives. Journal of Small Business Management, 50(1):63-86. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-627X.2011.00344.x
- Szerb, L. & Acs, Z.J. 2011. The global entrepreneurship and development index methodology. https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.1857985
- Tengeh, R. K. (201. A business framework for the effective start-up and operation of African immigrant-owned businesses in the Cape Town Metropolitan area, South Africa. Unpublished Ph.D. thesis. Cape Town: Cape Peninsula University of Technology.http://etd.cput.ac.za/handle/20.500.11838/1687.
- Tengeh, R.K. (2013). Advancing the case for the support and promotion of African immigrant-owned businesses in South Africa. Mediterranean Journal of Social Sciences, 4(2):347-359. https://doi.org/10.5901/mjss.2013.v4n2p347
- Tengeh, R.K. & Nkem, L. (2017). Sustaining immigrant entrepreneurship in South Africa: the role of informal financial associations. Sustainability, 9(8):1-16. https://doi.org/10.3390/su9081396
- Tengeh, R.K., Ballard, H. & Slabbert, A. (2011). A framework for acquiring the resources vital for the start-up of a business in South Africa: an African immigrant’s perspective.https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de/34211/2/MPRA_paper_34211.pdf
- Tengeh, R.K., Ballard, H.B. & Slabbert, A.S. (2012). Do immigrant-owned businesses grow financially? An empirical study of African immigrant-owned businesses in South Africa. https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de/40610/1/MPRA_paper_40610.pdf.
- Van Auken, H.E. 2005. Differences in the usage of bootstrap financing among technology‐based versus nontechnology‐based firms. Journal of Small Business Management, 43(1):93-103. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-627X.2004.00127.x
- Van Auken, S. (2015). From consumer panels to big data: an overview of marketing data development. Journal of Marketing Analytics, 3(1):38-45. https://doi.org/10.1057/jma.2015.2
- Vanacker, T., Manigart, S., Meuleman, M. & Sels, L. (2011). A longitudinal study on the relationship between financial bootstrapping and new venture growth. Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, 23(9-10):681-705. https://doi.org/10.1080/08985626.2010.502250
- Winborg, J. (2009). Use of financial bootstrapping in new businesses: a question of last resort? Venture Capital, 11(1):71-83. https://doi.org/10.1080/13691060802351248
- Winborg, J. & Landström, H. (2001). Financial bootstrapping in small businesses: examining small business managers' resource acquisition behaviors. Journal of Business Venturing, 16(3):235-254. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0883-9026(99)00055-5
- Yoon, H. D. 2006. Social research overview capital in Asia: an exploratory study. Tokyo: The Asian Productivity Organization.