Authors retain the copyright without restrictions for their published content in this journal. HSSR is a SHERPA ROMEO Green Journal.
THE IMPACT OF LEARNING CULTURAL HISTORY OF ISLAM USING VIDEO MEDIA ON SPIRITUAL STUDENTS: A STUDY OF UMAR BIN ABDUL AZIZ
Corresponding Author(s) : Bashir
Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews,
Vol. 8 No. 3 (2020): May
Purpose of the study: The purpose of this study was to determine the impact of learning the history of Islamic culture using Video Media on the spirit of students. Spiritual students in the story of Umar bin Abdul Aziz in terms of Umar bin Abdul Aziz's achievements and lessons (ibrah).
Methodology: The research method used was pedagogical action research, data obtained from students' questionnaires, then analyzed descriptively qualitatively. The sample involved in learning consisted of 28 11th grade students in one of the Aliyah Madrasahs in Sukoharjo district, Central Java, Indonesia.
Main Findings: The results showed that the impact of learning the history of Islamic culture using video on the spiritual of students was categorized very well, this was based on four main themes, namely the idea of God, leadership, social, and nature.
Application of this study: While the average percentage of student responses on the ability to pick In from the highest is, the theme of nature or example is 99.11%, the theme of God is 97.62%, the social theme is 96.43%, and the theme of Leadership is 95.24%. Based on these results, video technology provides an effective impact on learning.
Novelty/Originality of this study: Novelty the learning media of the history of Islamic culture, using animated videos. Cultural history is made in the form history of Umar bin Abdul Aziz.
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- Ali, A. J. (2009). Islamic perspectives on leadership: a model. International Journal of Islamic and Middle Eastern Finance and Management, 2(2), 160–180. https://doi.org/10.1108/mf.2008.00934jaa.001 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/mf.2008.00934jaa.001
- Arsad, N. M., Osman, K., & Soh, T. M. T. (2011). Instrument development for 21st-century skills in Biology. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 15, 1470–1474. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2011.03.312 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2011.03.312
- Bingimals, K. A. (2009). Barriers to the Successful Integration of ICT in Teaching and Learning Environments: A Review of the Literature. Eurasia Journal of Mathematics, Science & Technology Education, 5(3), 235–245. https://doi.org/10.1108/09578230310464666 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/09578230310464666
- Buchanan, M. T., & Hyde, B. (2008). Learning beyond the surface: Engaging the cognitive, affective, and spiritual dimensions within the curriculum. International Journal of Children’s Spirituality, 13(4), 309–320. https://doi.org/10.1080/13644360802439458 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/13644360802439458
- Burgess, D. S. (2012). Spirituality In Leadership: How Male African American Leaders In Higher Education Perceive The Influence Of Spirituality In Their Decision Making. Colorado State University.
- Burke, R. (2006). Leadership and spirituality. Foresight, 8(6), 14–25. https://doi.org/10.1108/14636680610712504 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/14636680610712504
- Dasti, R., & Sitwat, A. (2014). Development of a Multidimensional Measure of Islamic Spirituality (MMS). Journal of Muslim Mental Health, 8(2), 47–67. https://doi.org/10.3998/jmmh.10381607.0008.204 DOI: https://doi.org/10.3998/jmmh.10381607.0008.204
- Faris, N., & Abdalla, M. (2017). Leadership in Islam: Thoughts, Processes, and solutions in Australian organizations. In Leadership in Islam: Thoughts, Processes, and Solutions in Australian Organizations. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-66441-5 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-66441-5
- Fuller, K. H. (1999). Lesson from the screen: Film and Video in the Classroom. Retrieved November 3, 2019, from www.historians.org website: https://www.historians.org/publications-an d-directories/perspective s-on-history /april-1999/lessons-from-the-screen-film- and-video-in-the-classrooom(Accessed on 20 February 2020)
- Graham, S. (2003). Instructional Design for Affective Learning in Theological Education. British Journal of Theological Education, 14(1), 58–77. https://doi.org/10.1558/jate.v14i1.58 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1558/jate.v14i1.58
- Hamsyah, F., & Subandi. (2017). Dzikir and Happiness: A Mental Health Study on An Indonesian Muslim Sufi Group. Journal of Spirituality in Mental Health, 19(1), 80–94. https://doi.org/10.1080/19349637.2016.1193404 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/19349637.2016.1193404
- Indrawaty, & Wardayati, S. M. (2016). Implementing Islamic Corporate Governance (ICG) and Islamic Social Reporting (ISR) in Islamic Financial Institution (IFI). Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 219, 338–343. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2016.04.042 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2016.04.042
- Kemendikbud, RI. (2017). Panduan Implementasi Kecakapan Abad 21 Kurikulum 2013 di Sekolah Menengah Atas. Jakarta: Direktorat Pembinaan SMA.
- Khanam, F., Siddiqi, N., & Ahmed, A. (2013). Social Welfare in Islam: Spirit of Islam.
- Khine, M. S., & Fisher, D. (2003). Technology-rich learning environments: A future perspective. In Technology-Rich Learning Environments: A Future Perspective. https://doi.org/10.1142/5325 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1142/5325
- Marcus, A. S., Metzger, S. A., Paxton, R. J., & Stoddard, J. D. (2018). Teaching History With Film. In The Routledge Companion to Media Education, Copyright, and Fair Use. https://doi.org/10.4324/9781315637549-16 DOI: https://doi.org/10.4324/9781315637549-16
- Misztal, W., Gurba, K., & Nęcek, R. (2018). Effectiveness Of Virtual Collaboration In Distance Education From The Perspective Of Spiritual Development. International Conference on Education and New Learning Technologies. Spain. https://doi.org/10.21125/edulearn.2018.1904 DOI: https://doi.org/10.21125/edulearn.2018.1904
- Mokhtar, S. B. (2017). a Techno-Religious Framework To Scaffold Spiritual Intelligence Among Students. The University of Malaya.
- Mthembu, T. G., Wegner, L., & Roman, N. V. (2017). Barriers to Integration of Spirituality and Spiritual Care in Occupational Therapy Education in a South African context. Journal of Spirituality in Mental Health, 19(1), 61–79. https://doi.org/10.1080/19349637.2016.1206843 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/19349637.2016.1206843
- Nanji, A. (2010). Islamic Ethics. Global Religious Vision, 4(1), 78–98. https://doi.org/10.4324/9780203855270 DOI: https://doi.org/10.4324/9780203855270
- Ng, Y. L. (2012). Spiritual development in the classroom: Pupils’ and educators’ learning reflections. International Journal of Children’s Spirituality, 17(2), 167–185. https://doi.org/10.1080/1364436X.2012.726609 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/1364436X.2012.726609
- O’Siochru, C. (2019). Norton, L. (2019). Action research in learning and teaching: A practical guide to conducting pedagogical research in universities. In Psychology Learning & Teaching (Vol. 18). https://doi.org/10.1177/1475725719850329 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/1475725719850329
- Ruismäki, H., Salomaa, R.-L., & Ruokonen, I. (2015). Minerva Plaza – A New technology-rich Learning Environment. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 171, 968–981. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2015.01.216 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2015.01.216
- Seifert, T. A., Goodman, K. M., & Harmon, N. (2009). Methods for Assessing Inner Development: Spirituality andBeyond. Journal of College and Character, 10(7), 3–8. https://doi.org/10.2202/1940-1639.1690 DOI: https://doi.org/10.2202/1940-1639.1690
- Siddiqui, A. (1997). Ethics in Islam: Key concepts and contemporary challenges. Journal of Moral Education, 26(4), 423–431. https://doi.org/10.1080/0305724970260403 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/0305724970260403
- Soh, T. M. T., Osman, K., & Arsad, N. M. (2012). M-21CSI: A validated 21st-century skills instrument for secondary science students. Asian Social Science, 8(16), 38–44. https://doi.org/10.5539/ass.v8n16p38 DOI: https://doi.org/10.5539/ass.v8n16p38
- Sohani, A. (2017). The intellectual, ethical, and, spiritual dimensions of the Islamic thought.
- Souza, M. de, Francis, L. J., Norman, J. O., & Scott, D. (2009). International Handbook of Educational for Spirituality, Care, and Wellbeing. New York: Springer. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4020-9018-9 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4020-9018-9
- Spyker, S. K. (2007). Technology & Spirituality: How the Information Revolution Affects Our Spiritual Lives. Woodstock, Vernont: SkyLight Paths Publishing.
- Teuten, E. L., Saquing, J. M., Knappe, D. R. U., Barlaz, M. A., Jonsson, S., Björn, A., … Takada, H. (2009). Transport and release of chemicals from plastics to the environment and wildlife. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences, 364(1526), 2027–2045. https://doi.org/10.1098/rstb.2008.0284 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1098/rstb.2008.0284
- Tsur, M. (2014). Research Confirms Video Improves Learning Results. Retrieved from www.huffpost.com website: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/research-confirms-video-i_b_5064181