Authors retain the copyright without restrictions for their published content in this journal. HSSR is a SHERPA ROMEO Green Journal.
CORONAVIRUS MEDIA DISCOURSE AND CURRENT SITUATION (QCA FOR DIFFERENT RESPONSES TO COMBAT COVID-19)
Corresponding Author(s) : Nermeen Singer
Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews,
Vol. 8 No. 3 (2020): May
Purpose of the study: Given the immense spread of the Coronavirus disease, it is imperative to note how the leaders and governments approach the issue and the suggestions made to protect the people and not spread panic.
Methodology: The study incorporates scrutiny of the available online media with official statements and news outlets made by state officials and leaders. Thus, one can note the implementation of qualitative comparative analysis to determine the difference in the attitudes and approaches of various world leaders to combat the disease.
Main Findings: Most world leaders acknowledge the threat Coronavirus poses to humanity yet are willing to sacrifice economic development for the survival of their people. Whereas others are more inclined to disregard the seriousness of the threat despite evidence of the lethal nature of the coronavirus and its effect upon people of all ages.
Applications of this study: The application of the study is primarily in the assessment of the position of world leaders with regards to the assessment of their leadership qualities and the success or failure of their decisions in terms of fighting the onset of the disease. When humanity overcomes coronavirus, numerous world leaders are likely to lose their job with this utilized information being the reason.
Novelty/Originality of this study: Considering the recent outbreak of the pandemic, no-one has utilized nor compared any of the information in terms of how the world leaders and various countries are combating the disease. This study provides a comparative analysis bringing successful and openly failed decisions to the fore of the society allowing every individual to assess the scope and effort made by the state.
- Abaido, G.M. and Takshe A.A. (2020). COVID-19: Virus or Viral Conspiracy Theories? American Journal of Biomedical Science & Research. 8, 2.
- Adhikaru, S.P., Meng S., Qu Y.-J., Mao Y.-P., Ye R.-X., Wang Q.-Z., Sun C., Sylvia S., Rozelle S., Raat H., and Zhou H. (2020). Epidemiology, causes, clinical manifestation and diagnosis, prevention and control of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) during the early outbreak period: a scoping review. Infectious Disease of Poverty, 9, 29. https://doi.org/10.1186/s40249-020-00646-x
- Ahmed W., Bath P.A., Sbaffi L., and Demartini G. (2019). Novel insights into views towards H1N1 during the 2009 Pandemic: a thematic analysis of Twitter data. Health Information & Libraries Journal, 36. https://doi.org/10.1111/hir.12247
- Baker, M. (2020). A Rare Look Inside the Hospital Where 15 Coronavirus Patients Have Died. The New York Times. Accessed April 11th 2020 at https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/11/us/coronavirus-kirkland-hospital-seattle.html?fbclid=IwAR1AXhaKtr84N3HcSrKQDp0Jye5SLKz6LWFoAIXbdhAhByzPTbZjOxS6MBI
- Beaubien, J. (2020). Singapore Wins Praise For Its COVID-19 Strategy. The U.S. Does Not. NPR. Accessed April 11th 2020 at https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/03/12/814522489/singapore-wins-praise-for-its-covid-19-strategy-the-u-s-does-not?fbclid=IwAR0PoRGnc1ZctaIUdL4_8h6d6qtDwy-uksbifJR6uyZhfXeT4V8g4n8Gv6w&t=1584096235405
- Bjorkdahl K., and Carlsen B. (2017). Fear of the Fear of the Flu: Assumptions About Media Effects in the 2009 Pandemic, Science Communication, 39, 3. https://doi.org/10.1177/1075547017709792
- Boburg, S., O’Harrow R. Jr., Satija N., and Goldstein A. (2020). Inside the coronavirus testing failure: Alarm and dismay among the scientists who sought to help. The Washington Post. https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/2020/04/03/coronavirus-cdc-test-kits-public-health-labs/?arc404=true
- Borrelli, A., and Pedrazzini C. (2020). Coronavirus, per la prima volta a Codogno contagi zero. Superati i 10 mila casi in Italia. La Repubblica. Accessed April 11th 2020 at https://www.repubblica.it/cronaca/2020/03/10/news/coronavirus_austria_e_albania_bloccano_voli_e_traghetti_costa_crociere_sospende_i_viaggi_nel_mediterraneo-250860322/
- Callick, R. (2020). How vulnerable is Xi Jinping over coronavirus? In today’s China, there are few to hold him to account. The Conversation. Accessed April 11th 2020 at https://theconversation.com/how-vulnerable-is-xi-jinping-over-coronavirus-in-todays-china-there-are-few-to-hold-him-to-account-131760
- CDC. (2020). Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). CDC. Accessed April 11th 2020 at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/testing-in-us.html?CDC_AA_refVal=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fcoronavirus%2F2019-ncov%2Ftesting-in-us.html
- FOPH. (2020). New Coronavirus | Switzerland. Federal Office of Public Health. Accessed April 11th 2020 at https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home/krankheiten/ausbrueche-epidemien-pandemien/aktuelle-ausbrueche-epidemien/novel-cov.html
- Franz, D. (2020). Merkel muss wegen Kontakt zu Corona-Infiziertem in Quarantäne. WELT POLITIK. Accessed April 11th 2020 at https://www.welt.de/politik/deutschland/article206729857/Coronavirus-Merkel-muss-wegen-Kontakt-zu-Infiziertem-in-Quarantaene.html
- Garret, L. (2020). The art of medicine | COVID-19: the medium is the message. The Lancet’, 395. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(20)30600-0
- Gattegno, H. (2020). Coronavirus: Emmanuel Macron veut encore serrer la vis. Le Journal du Dimanche. Accessed April 11th 2020 at https://www.lejdd.fr/Politique/coronavirus-emmanuel-macron-veut-encore-serrer-la-vis-3961388
- Gonzalez, M. (2020). Felipe VI: “Vamos a vencer esta crisis”. EL PAIS. Accessed April 11th 2020 at https://elpais.com/espana/2020-03-18/felipe-vi-vamos-a-vencer-esta-crisis.html
- Harris, K. (2020). Canada to bar entry to travellers who are not citizens, permanent residents or Americans. CBC News. Accessed April 11th 2020 at https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cbsa-border-airports-screening-trudeau-covid19-coronavirus-1.5498866
- Hasell, J., Ortiz-Ospina E., Mathieu E., Ritchie H., Betekian D., and Roser M. (2020). To understand the global pandemic, we need global testing – the Our World in Data COVID-19 Testing dataset. Our World In Data. Accessed April 11th 2020 at https://ourworldindata.org/covid-testing#south-korea
- Hilton, S. & Hunt K. (2011). UK newspapers' representations of the 2009–10 outbreak of swine flu: one health scare not over-hyped by the media? Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, 65, 10. https://doi.org/10.1136/jech.2010.119875
- Hua, J. and Shaw R. (2020). Corona Virus (COVID-19) “Infodemic” and Emerging Issues through a Data Lens: The Case of China. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 17. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph17072309
- Johnson, B. (2020). Addressing the Nation. Twitter Official Account UK Prime Minister. Accessed April 11th 2020 at https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1242187201334607886
- Kane, H. & Kahwati, L. (2020). Qualitative comparative analysis in mixed methods research and evaluation. Thousands Oaks, California: SAGE Publications, Inc.
- Klemm, C., Das E., & Hartmann T. (2014). Swine flu and hype: a systematic review of media dramatization of the H1N1 influenza pandemic, Journal of Risk Research, 19, 1. https://doi.org/10.1080/13669877.2014.923029
- Lourenco, J., Paton R., Ghafari M., Kraemer M., Thompson C., Simmonds P., Klenerman P. and Gupta S. (2020). Fundamental principles of epidemic spread highlight the immediate need for large-scale serological surveys to assess the stage of the SARS-CoV-2 epidemic. BMJ Yale. https://doi.org/10.1101/2020.03.24.20042291
- Luth, W., Jardine C., and Bubela T. (2013). When Pictures Waste a Thousand Words: Analysis of the 2009 H1N1 Pandemic on Television News, PLOS One. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0064070
- Mandeville, K.L., O’Neill S., Brighouse A., Walker A., Yarrow K., and Chan K. (2014). Academics and competing interests in H1N1 influenza media reporting. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, 68. https://doi.org/10.1136/jech-2013-203128
- McCauley, M., Minsky S., & Viswanath K. (2013). The H1N1 pandemic: media frames, stigmatization and coping. BMC Public Health, 13, 1116. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-13-1116
- MOHW. (2020). Coronavirus Disease-19, Republic of Korea. MOHW. Accessed April 12th 2020 at http://ncov.mohw.go.kr/en/
- Nelson L.M., Simard J.F., and Oluyomi A. (2020). US Public Concerns About the COVID-19 Pandemic From Results of a Survey Given via Social Media. JAMA Internal Medicine. https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2020.1369
- Nikel, D. (2020). Norway on Coronavirus: “We Have Control”. Life in Norway. Accessed April 11th 2020 at https://www.lifeinnorway.net/norway-on-coronavirus-we-have-control/
- Page, J., Fan W., and Khan N. (2020). How It All Started: China’s Early Coronavirus Missteps. The Wall Street Journal. Accessed April 11th 2020 at https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-it-all-started-chinas-early-coronavirus-missteps-11583508932
- Raoult, D., Zumla A., Locatelli F., Ippolito G., and Kroemer G. (2020). Coronavirus infections: Epidemiological, clinical and immunological features and hypotheses. Cell Stress. https://doi.org/10.15698/cst2020.04.216
- Rettner, R. (2020). Why Deaths from Coronavirus Are So High in Italy. Scientific American. Accessed April 11th 2020 at https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-deaths-from-coronavirus-are-so-high-in-italy/
- Roser, M., Ortiz-Ospina E., and Ritchie H. (2019). Life Expectancy. Our World in Data. Accessed April 11th 2020 at https://ourworldindata.org/life-expectancy
- Seah, I., Su X., and Lingam G. (2020). Revisiting the dangers of the coronavirus in the ophthalmology practice. Eye. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41433-020-0790-7
- Stracqualursi, V. (2020). ABC News: US intelligence warned of China's spreading contagion in November. CNN. Accessed April 11th 2020 at https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/08/politics/us-intelligence-report-china-coronavirus/index.html
- Tan, H. (2020). China’s Xi rallies people back to work as country continues to battle virus outbreak. CNBC. Accessed April 11th 2020 at https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/24/chinas-xi-jinping-speaks-about-coronavirus-threat-on-economy.html
- Teo, J. (2020). Coronavirus: WHO praises Singapore's containment of Covid-19 outbreak. The Straits Times. Accessed April 11th 2020 at https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/health/coronavirus-who-praises-singapores-containment-of-covid-19-outbreak
- Ward, A. (2020). World leaders who denied the coronavirus’s danger made us all less safe. VOX. Accessed April 11th 2020 at https://www.vox.com/2020/3/30/21195469/coronavirus-usa-china-brazil-mexico-spain-italy-iran
- Wieler, L. (2020). RKI warnt vor 10 Millionen Infizierten in weniger als 100 Tagen – „Haben exponentielles Wachstum“, WELT PANORAMA. Accessed April 11th 2020 at https://www.welt.de/vermischtes/article206627359/Corona-waechst-exponentiell-RKI-warnt-vor-10-Millionen-Infizierten-bis-Juni.html
- Yeung, J., Berlinger J., Renton A., Wagner M., Hayes M., and Rocha V. (2020). March 13 coronavirus news. CNN World. Accessed April 11th 2020 at https://edition.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-03-13-20-intl-hnk/index.html
- Yonhap. (2020). Moon declares 'war' against virus, puts gov't on 24-hour alert. YonHap News. Accessed April 11th 2020 at https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20200303004700315
- Zhang, L., Shen F.-m., Chen F., and Lin Z. (2020). Origin and Evolution of the 2019 Novel Coronavirus. Clinical Infectious Diseases, ciaa112. https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/ciaa112