This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors retain the copyright without restrictions for their published content in this journal. HSSR is a SHERPA ROMEO Green Journal.
ANALYSIS OF SHIFT FORM AND MEANING TRANSLATION OF POLITICAL NEWS IN INDONESIA ALYOUM.COM (SYSTEMATIC FUNCTIONAL LINGUISTIC APPROACH)
Corresponding Author(s) : Muhamad Alim
Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews,
Vol. 8 No. 3 (2020): May
Purpose: The purpose of this research is to analyze and describe the shift in form and meaning of the translation of political news, some aspect that affects the shift in form and meaning of the translated text from the source language, and recommends the news translation techniques that can be used as learning methods for Arabic-Indonesian or Indonesian-Arabic.
Methodology: This research uses identity and distributional methods and data presentation methods using qualitative descriptive analysis. The theory referred to the shifting of form theory and the shifting of meaning theory.
Main Findings: The results of this research identified that the shifting of form consisted 57 data of structure shift (64%), 18 data of class shift (20%), 14 data of unit shift (15%), 1 data of intrasystem shift (0,1%) and the shifting of meaning 16 data gain of information (27,5%), 26 data loss of information (45%), and 16 data skewing of information (27,5%). Translation techniques are identified as follows: structural shifts include passive into active, direct sentences into indirect sentences, explanation at the end into the explanation at the beginning, nominal sentences into verbal sentences and class shifts, for example, verb into a noun or adjective, and unit shift including the words into phrases and vice versa, phrase into clause and the change of the number of the sentence.
Implications/ Applications: The aspects that affect the shift in the form and meaning of the text translation from the source text are the aspects of transfer which include linguistic aspects (lexical, syntactic, and textual) and extralinguistic aspects (cultural, thematic, and encyclopedic).
Novelty/Originality of this study: The current study will analyse indonesiaalyoum.com to present ways of Introducing Arabic to Indonesia and the translation techniques to learn Arabic- Indonesian or Indonesian-Arabic. In addition, it will contribute to the existing literature by providing an overview regarding the forms and meaning of the translation of political news and aspects that affect the shift in meaning.
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- Abdullah, N. H., Laily Ramli, N. H., &Rafek, M. (2017). Mass lecture in language learning: What do the boys and girls think? Journal of Advances in Humanities and Social Sciences, 3(2), 115-123. https://doi.org/10.20474/jahss-3.2.5 DOI: https://doi.org/10.20474/jahss-3.2.5
- Al-khresheh, M. (2010).Interlingual interference in the English language word order structure of Jordanian EFL learners.European Journal of Social Sciences, 16(1), 106-113.
- Al-khresheh, M. (2011).An investigation of interlingual interference in the use of ‘and’ as a syntactic coordinating structure by Jordanian EFL learners.European Journal of Social Sciences, 18 (3), 426-433.
- Al-khresheh, M. (2015).A review study of interlanguage theory.International Journal of Applied Linguistics & English Literature, 4 (3), 124 - 131. https://doi.org/10.7575/aiac.ijalel.v.4n.3p.123 DOI: https://doi.org/10.7575/aiac.ijalel.v.4n.3p.123
- Al-khresheh, M., &Almaaytah, S. (2018). English Proverbs into Arabic through Machine Translation.International Journal of Applied Linguistics & English Literature, 7 (5), 159 - 166. https://doi.org/10.7575/aiac.ijalel.v.7n.5p.158 DOI: https://doi.org/10.7575/aiac.ijalel.v.7n.5p.158
- Al-khresheh, M., Khaerurrozikin, A.,&Zaid, A. (2020).The efficiency of using pictures in teaching speaking skills of non-native Arabic beginner students.Universal Journal of Educational Research, 8 (3), 872-878. https://doi.org/10.13189/ujer.2020.080318 DOI: https://doi.org/10.13189/ujer.2020.080318
- Anthony, L. (2013). A critical look at software tools in corpus linguistics. Linguistic Research, 30(2), 141–61. https://doi.org/10.17250/khisli.30.2.201308.001 DOI: https://doi.org/10.17250/khisli.30.2.201308.001
- Aslani, M., &Salmani, B. (2015). Ideology and translation: A critical discourse analysis approach towards the representation of political news in translation. International Journal of Applied Linguistics and English Literature, 4(3), 80-88. https://doi.org/10.7575/aiac.ijalel.v.4n.3p.80 DOI: https://doi.org/10.7575/aiac.ijalel.v.4n.3p.80
- Bayusena, E. Z. (2018). Some Shift Models in Translation. In D. Tajuddin Nur, Enchanting Language in Macrolinguistic Studies (p. 220. Bandung: Unpad Press.
- Bielsa, E., &Bassnett, S. (2008). Translation in global news. Routledge. https://doi.org/10.4324/9780203890011 DOI: https://doi.org/10.4324/9780203890011
- Catford, J. C. (1969). A Linguistic Theory of Translation. London: Oxford University Press.
- Coban, F. (2016). The Role of The Media in International Relations: From the CNN Effect to the Al-Jazeera Effect. Journal of International Relations and Foreign Policy, 45-61. https://doi.org/10.15640/jirfp.v4n2a3 DOI: https://doi.org/10.15640/jirfp.v4n2a3
- Diamond, L., & McDonald, J. (1996).Multi-track diplomacy: A system approach to peace 3rd ed. New York: Kumarian Press.
- Djelantik, S. (2008). Diplomacy between theory and practice. Yogyakarta: Graha Ilmu.
- Djelantik, S., Indraswari, R., Triwibowo, A., Apresian, S.R. (2015).International communication in the era of information and social change in Indonesia. Bandung:LembagaPenelitiandanPengabdianKepadaMasyarakatUniversitasKatolikParahyangan.
- Emma, V., Sagarino, E. A., Moreno, T. J. E., Juan, R. F., LangomezJr, Ranillo L. M., Tagiobon, M. L., and Palmes, R. B. C. A. (2017). Tracer study on the University of the Immaculate Conception graduates of bachelor of music. Journal of Advanced Research in Social Sciences and Humanities, 2(5), 298-310. https://doi.org/10.26500/JARSSH-02-2017-0503 DOI: https://doi.org/10.26500/JARSSH-02-2017-0503
- Hatim, B. (2013). Teaching and Researching Translation. London: Routledge. https://doi.org/10.4324/9781315832906 DOI: https://doi.org/10.4324/9781315832906
- Hilao, M. P. (2016). Creative teaching as perceived by English language teachers in private universities. Journal of Advances in Humanities and Social Sciences, 2(5), 278-286. https://doi.org/10.20474/jahss-2.5.4 DOI: https://doi.org/10.20474/jahss-2.5.4
- Husseinali, G. (2006). Who is studying Arabic and why? A survey of Arabic students’ orientations at a major university. Foreign Language Annuals, 2, (39), 395-412. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1944-9720.2006.tb02896.x DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1944-9720.2006.tb02896.x
- Matthew A. Baum and Philip B. K, P. (2008). The Relationships Between Mass Media, Public Opinion, and Foreign Policy: Toward a Theoretical Synthesis. The Annual Review of Political Science. University of California, 42
- Newmark, P. (1988). A Textbook Of Translation. New York: Prentice-Hall.
- O’Mahony, C. T. (2018). An analysis of dialects and how they are neither linguistically superior nor inferior to one another. International Journal of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences, 4(5), 221-226. https://doi.org/10.20469/ijhss.4.10004-5 DOI: https://doi.org/10.20469/ijhss.4.10004-5
- Pradhan, S. (2016). English language teaching: The next gate to social awareness. International Journal of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences, 2(4), 156-158. https://doi.org/10.20469/ijhss.2.20005-4 DOI: https://doi.org/10.20469/ijhss.2.20005-4
- Priyanto, I. J. (2020, March). The Speech Acts in News Translation: Pragmatics Analysis in Pikiran Rakyat Newspaper. In 3rd International Conference on Language, Literature, Culture, and Education (ICOLLITE 2019) (pp. 273-277). Atlantis Press. https://doi.org/10.2991/assehr.k.200325.095 DOI: https://doi.org/10.2991/assehr.k.200325.095
- Saleem, N. (2007). Media Framing of Foreign Countries: An Analytical Perspective. Canadian Journal of Media Studies, 130-162.
- Taber, E. N. (2003). Theory and Practice of Translation. California: Stanford University Press.
- Taher, M. A., Shrestha, P. N., Rahman, M. M., & Khalid, A. K. M. I. (2016). Curriculum Linked Video (CLV) as a tool for English Language Teaching (ELT) at secondary school classrooms in Bangladesh. International Journal of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences, 2(4), 126-132. https://doi.org/10.20469/ijhss.2.20002-4 DOI: https://doi.org/10.20469/ijhss.2.20002-4
- Yoedtadi, M.G. (2018). Mass Media in International Diplomacy (JP Suarat Policy in English Language in Preaching Indonesia-Singapore Relations. Jurnal MuaraIlmu Sosial, Humanioradan Seni, 404. https://doi.org/10.24912/jmishumsen.v2i1.1710 DOI: https://doi.org/10.24912/jmishumsen.v2i1.1710
- Heath, J. (2005). The Arabic language and national identity: A study in ideology. Journal of Linguistic Anthropology, 15(2), 281-283. https://doi.org/10.1525/jlin.2005.15.2.281 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1525/jlin.2005.15.2.281
- Wekke, I. S. & Hamid, S. (2013). Technology on Language Teaching and Learning: A Research on Indonesian Pesantren. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 83, 585–589. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2013.06.111 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2013.06.111