This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors retain the copyright without restrictions for their published content in this journal. HSSR is a SHERPA ROMEO Green Journal.
SOCIAL CONFLICT BETWEEN THE DRIVERS OF CONVENTIONAL WITH ONLINE TRANSPORTATION IN BANDUNG
Corresponding Author(s) : Ardi Maulana Nugraha
Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews,
Vol. 8 No. 3 (2020): May
Purpose: Conflicts between conventional and online transport drivers have been disturbing and cause both physical and psychological casualties. The purpose of this research is to know the processes and factors that cause conflict.
Methodology: The research method is qualitative and descriptive. Transporters from Bandung city were accessed and interviewed. They were inquired about their views on the shift of conventional transportation to the online transportation system; later, these interview responses were analyzed to draw inferences.
Main Findings: The results of the research show that the process of conflict occurred from the transition of the use of conventional transportation services into online transportation in the city of Bandung. Furthermore, two forms of conflict occurred among transport drivers that are realistic and non-realistic conflicts. The causes of conflict are the seizure of economic resources (passengers), and the trigger factors are lack of communication and coordination among drivers, government delays in making regulations, and no solution to the problems that occur from the management of online transportation.
Implications/Applications: These results will be applicable for policy formation as well as removing conflicts between conventional transportation drivers and online transportation actors.
Originality/Value: Since: In Indonesia, online transportation has grown since 2015. However, some parties reject the presence of this online transportation, which causes a conflict. This study has thoroughly investigated the conflict between conventional transportation drivers and online transportation and highlighted the factors that cause these conflicts.
- Adisasmita.(2014). Transportation development management. Yogyakarta, Indonesia: GrahaIlmu.
- Alamsyah, A., &Rachmadiansyah, I. (2018, March).Mapping online transportation service quality and multiclass classification problem-solving priorities. In Journal of Physics: Conference Series (Vol. 971, No. 1, p. 012021). IOP Publishing. https://doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/971/1/012021
- Anwar.(2013). Sociology for universities. Bandung, Indonesia: PT. RefikaAditama.
- Cherry, C. R., &Adelakun, A. A. (2012). Truck driver perceptions and preferences: Congestion and conflict, managed lanes, and tolls. Transport Policy, 24, 1-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tranpol.2012.07.012 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tranpol.2012.07.012
- Coser. (1956). The function of social conflict. New York, NY: The Free Press.
- Damsar.(2009). Economic sociology. Jakarta, Indonesia: PT. Raja GrafindoPersada.
- Darlington, Y., Feeney, J. A., &Rixon, K. (2004). Complexity, conflict and uncertainty: Issues in collaboration between child protection and mental health services. Children and Youth Services Review, 26(12), 1175-1192. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.childyouth.2004.08.009 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.childyouth.2004.08.009
- De Dreu, C. K. (1997). Productive conflict: The importance of conflict management and conflict issue. Using conflict in organizations, 9-22. https://doi.org/10.4135/9781446217016.n2 DOI: https://doi.org/10.4135/9781446217016.n2
- Fisher, S. &Kartikasari, S. N. (2001).Managing conflict: skills & strategies for action.British Council Responding to Conflict (RTC), Jakarta, Indonesia.
- Haris.(2014). Sociology of mass communication. Bandung, Indonesia: PT. RemajaRosdakarya.
- Johnson, D. P. (1990).Theories of classical and modern sociology( Vol. I &II). Jakarta, Indonesia: Gramedia.
- Kamaluddin.(2003). Transportation economics characteristics, theory and policy. Jakarta, Indonesia: Ghalia Indonesia.
- KBBI.(2012). Conventional.Retrieved from http://kbbi.web.id/konvensional.
- Maftuh.(2008). Pending dispute resolution. Bandung, Indonesia: CV Yasinod Multi Aspek.
- Munawar.(2011). Fundamentals of transportation engineering. Yogyakarta, Indonesia: Beta Offset.
- Nurudin.(2012). New social media and the emergence of the communication process revolution. Yogyakarta, Indonesia: Buku Literal.
- Pasha, G. (2014).Theories of modern sociology. Bandung, Indonesia: Rizqi Press.
- Porter. (2008). Competitive strategy.Tanggerang, Indonesia: Karisma Publishing Group.
- Pratiwi, A. (2017). Social Conflicts between Ojek Online Drivers with ThePangkalanOjekRailers in Curug, KelurahanBojongsari, Depok City. Meaning: Journal of Communication, Language and Culture Studies, 2 (1), 1-14.
- Rohmah.(2002). Agrarian conflict resolution paradigm. Yogyakarta, Indonesia: WaliSongo Press.
- Rubin, J. Z., Pruitt, D. G., & Kim, S. H. (1994). Social conflict: Escalation, stalemate, and settlement. Mcgraw-Hill Book Company.
- Saebani.(2016). Perspective of social change. Bandung, Indonesia: CV PustakaSetia.
- Salim.(2006). Transportation management. Jakarta, Indoensia: Raja GrafindoPersada.
- Stompzka.(2010). Sociology of social change. Jakarta, Indonesia: KencanaPrenada Media Group.
- Sutrisno.(2015). Jabarmetrotv news. Retrieved from http://jabar.metrotvnews.com/read/2015/10/22/44356 5/pengemudi-gojek-dilempar-gelas-hingga-bonyok.
- Sudarnoto, W. (2015).Conflict and Resolution.Salam: Syar-i Journal of Social and Culture, 2 (1). https://doi.org/10.15408/sjsbs.v2i1.2236 DOI: https://doi.org/10.15408/sjsbs.v2i1.2236
- Suyanto, B &Narwoko, J. B. (2007).Sociology introductory & applied texts. Jakarta: KencanaPrenada Media Group
- Wahyuni.(2007). Humanity and society. Jakarta, Indonesia: Ganecca Exact.
- Warpani.(2002). Road traffic and transport management. Bandung, Indonesia: Penerbit ITB.
- Wijaya.(2016). Legal aspects of the online road transportation business. Jakarta, Indonesia: SinarGrafika Offset.
- Alamsyah, Andry& Imam Rachmadiansyah. (2018). Mapping online transportation service quality and multiclass classification problem-solving priorities. In International Conference on Data and Information Science, Bandung, Indonesia. https://doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/971/1/012021 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/971/1/012021
- Pratiwi, A. (2017). Social conflicts between online taxi bike drivers and fleet taxi bike drivers in Curug, Bojogsary, Depok City). Jurnal Makna,.2(1), 1-14.
- Fisher A. J. (2001). Berghof handbook for conflict transformation. Berlin,Germany: Berghof Research Center for Constructive.
- Mohamed, D. (2016). Fleet taxi vsnonFleet taxi). Retrieved fromhttp://learningcapital.biz/2016/03/bluebird-vs-uber-taksi-armada-vs-taksi-tanpa-armada/
- Kristo, F. Y.(2017). The beginning of online transportation mushrooms in Indonesia. https://inet.detik.com/cyberlife/d-3609781/awal-mulatransportasi-online-menjamur-di-indonesia.
- Anwar, A. A. (2017). Online vsconventional: Advantages and conflicts among transportation Modes in Makassar city).JurnalEtnografi Indonesia, 2(2),20-246.
- Rathod, R. V., &Khot, S. T. (2016). The smart approach to public transport. International Journal of Advanced Engineering, Management and Science. 2(9), 1603-1606.
- Setyowati, K. &Rina, H. H. (2017). Conventional vs online transportation: Governance based conflict resolution. In International Conference on Social and Political Sciences (ICoSaPS), Surakarta, Indonesia. https://doi.org/10.5220/0007032900010001. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5220/0007032900010001
- Cetin, T. &Deakin, E.(2019). Regulation of taxis and the rise of ridesharing. Transport Policy, Elsevier, 76, 149-158. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tranpol.2017.09.002. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tranpol.2017.09.002
- Wijayanto, I., Sasami, I. B., Nugroho, R. A., & Suharto, D. G. (2018). Conflict resolution of online transportation vs conventional transportation: A literature review. Advances in Social Science, Education and Humanities Research, 241, 141-152.