This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors retain the copyright without restrictions for their published content in this journal. HSSR is a SHERPA ROMEO Green Journal.
THE RELEVANCE OF AL MU'ASHARAH MANUSCRIPT TO THE MILLENNIAL GENERATION OF JAVA, SUNDA, AND MINANG ETHNIC IN SPOUSE SELECTION
Corresponding Author(s) : Yulfira Riza
Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews,
Vol. 8 No. 3 (2020): May
Purpose: This study aims to analyze the perception of the millennials of Javanese, Sundanese, and Minang in choosing a spouse, arranged marriage, and forced marriage based on a West Sumatra’s ancient manuscript, al Mu'āsharah by Sheikh Abdul Laṭīf Shakūr.
Methodology: This research is a quantitative study using a questionnaire as a method and instrument. Based on the variables contained in the manuscript, a closed statement questionnaire was compiled and responded by 111 respondents using purposive sampling. SPSS was used for data analysis and results formulation.
Main Findings: The results show that the female’s millennials still adhere to noble values in determining future husbands such as taqwa and good character, good health, broad-minded, and wise. The difference of opinion between the groups lies in the appearance of the prospective husband and the pleasure in receiving gifts. Meanwhile, the male’s millennials also want a future wife who has good morals, comes from a good family, and has a beautiful face. The differences of opinion of the groups are in the age and status variables of the prospective wife. In terms of arranged marriages and forced marriages, all refused to be married to people they unknown, even though the parents are the ones who forced them. They choose ta’aruf as a method of introducing a spouse before marriage.
Implications/Applications: The findings of this research can be helpful for readers in understanding the phenomena of marriages in Islam and characteristics prefer while choosing a spouse.
Novelty/Originality of this study: The number of sites and online matchmaking accounts both Muslim and non-Muslim has an influence on Indonesian Muslims who have diverse tribes. Dating selection is not only based on pleasure through the appearance and profile displayed online, but the in-depth search is required. This study has highlighted matchmaking preferences in Javanese culture and also analyzed aspects of Islam based on the work of scholars then compare it with other ethnicities in Indonesia.
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- Al-khresheh, M., Khaerurrozikin, A.,& Zaid, A. (2020). The efficiency of using pictures in teaching speaking skills of non-native Arabic beginner students. Universal Journal of Educational Research, 8 (3), 872-878. https://doi.org/10.13189/ujer.2020.080318 DOI: https://doi.org/10.13189/ujer.2020.080318
- Ammon, U. (2004). Sociolinguistics: An international handbook of the science of language and society. (2nd ed.).Berlin: Walter de Gruyter.
- Arikunto, S. (2013).Research procedure: A practical approach. Jakarta, Indonesia: PT Rineka Cipta.
- Askuri, A., & Kuipers, J. C. (2019). An orientation to be a good millennial Muslims: state and the politics of naming in islamizing Java. Indonesian Journal of Islam and Muslim Societies, 9(1), 31-55. https://doi.org/10.18326/ijims.v9i1.31-55 DOI: https://doi.org/10.18326/ijims.v9i1.31-55
- Asyari, S., & Abid, M. H. (2016). Expanding the Indonesian Tarbiyah movement through Ta ‘āruf and marriage. Al-Jami'ah: Journal of Islamic Studies, 54(2), 337-368. https://doi.org/10.14421/ajis.2016.542.337-368 DOI: https://doi.org/10.14421/ajis.2016.542.337-368
- Bell, T.(2005). Behaviors and attitudes of effective foreign language teachers: Results of a questionnaire study. Foreign Language Annals, 38(2), 259-270. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1944-9720.2005.tb02490.x DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1944-9720.2005.tb02490.x
- Blachman, B., Tangel, D., & Ball, E. (2004). Combining phonological awareness and word recognition instruction. Perspectives, The International DyslexiaAssociation, 24(9), 12–14.
- Brown, A. (2011). Relationships, community, and identity in the new virtual society. Futurist, 45(2), 29–34.
- Bryden, L. T. (2017). Online dating applications and the uses and gratifications theory. Ewu Digital Commons, Eastern Washington University.
- Bunton, T. E., & Brewer, J. L. (2012, October). Discovering workplace motivators for the millennial generation of IT employees. In Proceedings of the 1st Annual conference on Research in information technology, pp. 13-18. https://doi.org/10.1145/2380790.2380795 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1145/2380790.2380795
- Cook, V. (1991). Second language learning and language teaching. London: Edward Arnold.
- Fairclough, N. (1989). Language and power (1st ed.). Longman Inc.: New York.
- Godwin-Jones, R. (2005). Messaging, gaming, peer-to-peer sharing: Language learning strategies & tools for the millennial generation. Language learning & technology, 9(1), 17-22.
- Hamers, J. F., & Blanc, M. (2000). Bilinguality and bilingualism. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. https://doi.org/10.1017/CBO9780511605796 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1017/CBO9780511605796
- Heath, J. (2005). The Arabic language and national identity: A study in ideology. Journal of Linguistic Anthropology, 15(2), 281-283. https://doi.org/10.1525/jlin.2005.15.2.281 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1525/jlin.2005.15.2.281
- Hidayat, T. T., & Wardana, A. (2018). Ta'aruf and efforts to build Islamic matchmaking among Young Muslim Couples in Yogyakarta. E-Societas, 7(7), 1-22.
- Kao, A. (2016). Tinder: True Love or a Nightmare? Scholar Commons, 16, 1–18.
- Ma’mun, T. N. (2016).Women and actualization of marriage law in the text of the book of Fi Hukmi an marriage of Imam Syafi'i school of work by Abdullah Bin Ibrahim.Bandung, Indonesia: UNPAD Press.
- Mishra, S., Monippally, M. M., & Jayakar, K. P. (2013). Self presentation in online environments: a study of Indian Muslim matrimonial profiles. Asian Journal of Communication, 23(1), 38-53. https://doi.org/10.1080/01292986.2012.717094 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/01292986.2012.717094
- Pujasari, L. S., & Mardianti, P. (2016). Interpersonal communication between husband and wife through online dating taaruf. Journal of Communication Research, 19(2), 165-178. https://doi.org/10.20422/jpk.v19i2.89 DOI: https://doi.org/10.20422/jpk.v19i2.89
- Riza, Y., & Sandora, L. (2019). Shekh Abdul Laṭīf Shakūr’s manuscript dunia perempuan and woman representation on man’s view. In 2nd Internasional Conference on Culture and Language in Southeast Asia (ICCLAS 2018), Atlantis Press. https://doi.org/10.2991/icclas-18.2019.22 DOI: https://doi.org/10.2991/icclas-18.2019.22
- Saadia, R. F. (2015). The exploratory study on the relationships among Taiwanese college student’s construal-level, gratitude and intimate attachment. International Journal of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences, 1(2), 92-100. https://doi.org/10.20469/IJHSS.20001 DOI: https://doi.org/10.20469/IJHSS.20001
- Saifullah, M. (2018). Beyond Moslems panics: An exploration upon instagram matchmaker in Indonesia. Harmoni, 17(2), 341-351. https://doi.org/10.32488/harmoni.v17i2.301 DOI: https://doi.org/10.32488/harmoni.v17i2.301
- Sintang, S., & Hambali, K. M. (2018). Double marginality in new Muslims’ relationship with born Muslims and non-Muslims. International Journal of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences, 4(3), 150-159. https://doi.org/10.20469/ijhss.4.10004-3 DOI: https://doi.org/10.20469/ijhss.4.10004-3
- Somasundaram, R. (2019).Arranged marriage in Malaysia among millennial nagarathar nattukottai chettiars. The University of Arizona. Retrieved from http://hdl.handle.net/10150/626608
- Summers, N. (2014). The truth about tinder and women is even worse than you think. Bloomberg. Retreived from https://bloom.bg/2S1OKWr
- Tiller, R. (2018). Navigating Muslim identity and customs in online dating. Intersect, 12(1),1-11.
- Wahyudi, R. (2012). Language and Identity: A case study on matchmaking Discourse (Javanese and Islamic Perspectives). Language Discourse & Society, 1(2), 107-117.
- Wekke, I. S. & Hamid, S. (2013). Technology on Language Teaching and Learning: A Research on Indonesian Pesantren. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 83, 585–589. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2013.06.111 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2013.06.111
- Yang, S. C., & Chang, C. M. (2017). Transnational marriage in Taiwan: Challenges faced and adaptation strategies adopted in experiencing a different culture. International Journal of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences, 3(4), 142-147. https://doi.org/10.20469/ijhss.3.20001-4 DOI: https://doi.org/10.20469/ijhss.3.20001-4