Purpose: The unemployment rate among graduates is considered high in Malaysia despite concerted efforts taken by the Malaysian government in resolving the issue. If this issue is not tackled immediately by the government, the unemployment rate may soar and hence lead to social problems in the country. The aim of this study is to explore the relationship between entrepreneurship education and entrepreneurial intention of Universiti Kuala Lumpur TEKNOPUTRA Alumni.
Methodology: An online survey was conducted to explore if there is a relationship between entrepreneurship education the graduates had received at the university and their entrepreneurial intention to become entrepreneurs. About 50 graduates responded to the survey and they consisted of male and female graduates most of who were aged between 20 and 25 with less than 2 years of working experience. The sample had ventured into service types of business while others were sole proprietors, and most of them have been involved in their business for less than 5 years.
Results: Cronbach Alpha values for the reliability analysis of items for entrepreneurship education (α=0.953) and entrepreneurial intention (α=0.893) show that the items are reliable. Inferential statistics, that is Pearson r correlation was run to determine the relationship between the independent variable, entrepreneurship education and the dependent variable entrepreneurship intention.
Implications: Pearson Correlation analysis shows that there is a positive and significant relationship between entrepreneurship educations with entrepreneurial intention among TEKNOPUTRA Alumni. In short, this implies that most of the TEKNOPUTRA Alumni agreed that entrepreneurship education they had received at the university has influenced their entrepreneurial intention to become entrepreneurs.
- Bell, R., 2015. Developing the next generation of entrepreneurs: Giving students the opportunity to gain experience and thrive. The International Journal of Management Education, 13(1): 37-47.
- Buntat, Y., W. Roslan, W. Nurmira, N. Ibrahim and L.M. Salleh, 2016. Challenges of entrepreneurship education for disabled people. Advanced Science Letters, 22(12): 4355-4358.
- Carey, C. and H. Matlay, 2010. Creative disciplines education: A model for assessing ideas in entrepreneurship education? Education+ Training, 52(8/9): 694-709.
- Daud, S., N. Abidin, N. Mazuin Sapuan and J. Rajadurai, 2011. Enhancing university business curriculum using an importance-performance approach: A case study of the business management faculty of a university in Malaysia. International Journal of Educational Management, 25(6): 545-569.
- Dumbu, E., 2014. Promoting entrepreneurship through open and distance education in Zimbabwe. A case study of the Zimbabwe Open University students at Masvingo Regional Campus. International Journal of Business, Economics, and Management, 1(6): 101-114.
- Ekpe, I., R.C. Razak, M. Ismail, and Z. Abdullah, 2015. Entrepreneurial skill acquisition and youth's self-employment in Malaysia: How far? Mediterranean Journal of Social Sciences, 6(4): 150.
- Esia-Donkoh, K., A.K. Amihere and A.K. Addison, 2015. Assessment of student internship programme by 2013/2014 final year students of the department of basic education, University of Education, Winneba, Ghana. Humanities and Social Sciences Letters, 3(2): 105-120.
- Frima, M.Y. and A. Ghina, 2017. The Analysis of Entrepreneurship Program within Higher Education (Institution Case Study of the Management of Business in Telecommunications and Informatics, Telkom University-Indonesia). International Journal of Education and Practice, 5(10): 155-170.
- Ghanney, R.A., 2018. How parental education and literacy skill Levels affect the education of their wards: The case of two schools in the effutu municipality of Ghana. International Journal of Education and Practice, 6(3): 107-119.
- Halder, S.N. and S. Chandra, 2012. Users' attitude s towards institutional repository in Jadavpur University: A critical study. International Journal of Management and Sustainability, 1(2): 45-52.
- Halim, H.A., N.H. Ahmad, H. Hanifah, and T. Ramayah, 2017. The Impediments to Entrepreneurial Ventures among the Bottom of Pyramid Community in Northern Malaysia. In Handbook of Research on Small and Medium Enterprises in Developing Countries. IGI Global.: 67-81.
- Hussain, R., 2017. Entrepreneurial behavior amongst students of community colleges in Malaysia. International Journal of Education and Practice, 5(2): 21-28.
- Hynes, B., Y. Costin and N. Birdthistle, 2010. Practice-based learning in entrepreneurship education: A means of connecting knowledge producers and users. Higher Education, Skills and Work-Based Learning, 1: 16-28.
- Hytti, U., P. Stenholm, J. Heinonen, and J. Seikkula-Leino, 2010. Perceived learning outcomes in entrepreneurship education: The impact of student motivation and team behavior. Education+ Training, 52(8/9): 587-606.
- International Labour Organization, W., 2016. International labor organization website. Available from http://www.ilo.org/global/research/global-reports/weso/2016/lang--en/index.htm [Accessed December 2017].
- Jayakumar, R., 2016. The opinion of university teachers towards educational television programmes. American Journal of Education and Learning, 1(1): 45-52.
- Jones, B. and N. Iredale, 2010. Enterprise education as pedagogy. Education+ Training, 52(1): 7-19.
- Korhonen, M., K. Komulainen and H. Räty, 2011. Bringing up global or local citizens? Young, 19(1): 45-67.
- Küttim, M., M. Kallaste, U. Venesaar, and A. Kiis, 2014. Entrepreneurship education at the university level and students' entrepreneurial intentions. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 110: 658-668.
- Kweka, K.H. and P. Ndibalema, 2018. Constraints hindering adoption of ICT in government secondary schools in Tanzania: The case of Hanang District. International Journal of Educational Technology and Learning, 4(2): 46-57.
- Ling, C.K., S.S. Geraldine and B.A. Hamid, 2009. Malay youth entrepreneurship in Malaysia. GEOGRAFIA OnlineTM, Malaysian Journal of Society and Space, 5(2): 55 – 67.
- Mahieu, R., 2006. Agents of change and policies of scale: A policy study of entrepreneurship and enterprise in education. (Doctoral dissertation, Svenska och samhällsvetenskapliga ämnen).
- Marzuki, S.Z.S. and J. Abdullah, 2016. The expectations of Muslim and Non-Muslim restaurant entrepreneurs towards Halal Certification in Malaysia. In Proceedings of the ASEAN Entrepreneurship Conference 2014. Springer, Singapore. pp: 161-169.
- Masciantonio, T.A. and P.D. Berger, 2018. Is Alumni salary an appropriate Metric for University Marketers?. Journal of Social Economics Research, 5(1): 1-9.
- Mohamad, N., H.-E. Lim, N. Yusof, M. Kassim, and H. Abdullah, 2014. Estimating the choice of entrepreneurship as a career: The case of Universiti Utara Malaysia. International Journal of Business and Society, 15(1): 65.
- Mohamed, Z., G. Rezai, M. Nasir Shamsudin and M. Mu’az Mahmud, 2012. Enhancing young graduates’ intention towards entrepreneurship development in Malaysia. Education+ Training, 54(7): 605-618.
- Nabi, G., F. Liñán, A. Fayolle, N. Krueger and A. Walmsley, 2017. The impact of entrepreneurship education in higher education: A systematic review and research agenda. Academy of Management Learning & Education, 16(2): 277-299.
- Naia, A., R. Baptista, C. Januário and V. Trigo, 2015. Entrepreneurship education literature in the 2000s. Journal of Entrepreneurship Education, 18(1): 111.
- Nasrullah, S., M.S. Khan and I. Khan, 2016. Entrepreneurship education and academic performance. Journal of Education and Practice, 7(1): 1-4.
- Nawang, W.M.Z.W., I. Mamat, N.H. Sa’at and S. Ahmad, 2016. Conceptual framework of adolescent’s intention to involving in entrepreneurship at Malaysia. International Journal of Academic Research in Business and Social Sciences, 6(2): 166-182.
- Nazri, M.N.M., Z. Hamid and H. Muslim, 2014. The inclination of information and communication technology (ICT) students towards entrepreneurship. International Journal of Management and Sustainability, 3(8): 484.
- Ojaghi, S., B. Rezaee, N. Naderi and H. Jafari, 2017. Conceptual–analytical model challenges of entrepreneurship education in higher education institutions. Palma Journal, 16: 95-104.
- Othman, N., N. Hashim, and H. Ab Wahid, 2012. Readiness towards entrepreneurship education: Students and Malaysian universities. Education+ Training, 54(8/9): 697-708.
- Owagbemi, G.O., 2018. Assessing the relocation of Adekunle Ajasin University to Akokoland on the transportation system and Rural Development in Ondo State. Humanities and Social Sciences Letters, 6(2): 51-58.
- Packham, G., P. Jones, C. Miller, D. Pickernell and B. Thomas, 2010. Attitudes towards entrepreneurship
- Pan, C.-Y., 2014. Effects of reciprocal peer-questioning instruction on EFL college students English reading comprehension. International Journal of English Language and Literature Studies, 3(3): 190-209.
- Potishuk, V. and J. Kratzer, 2017. Factors affecting entrepreneurial intentions and entrepreneurial intentions and entrepreneurial attitudes in higher education. Journal of Entrepreneurship Education, 20(1): 36-55.
- Rahim, H.L., M.A.B.A. Kadir, Z.Z. Abidin, J. Junid, L.M. Kamaruddin, N.F.M. Lajin, S.Z. Buyong and A.A. Bakri, 2015. Entrepreneurship education in Malaysia: A critical review. Journal of Technology Management and Business, 2: 1-10.
- Raposo, M. and A.D. Paco, 2011. Entrepreneurship education: Relationship between education and entrepreneurial activity. Psicothema, 23(3): 453-457.
- Rauch, A. and W. Hulsink, 2015. Putting entrepreneurship education where the intention to act lies: An investigation into the impact of entrepreneurship education on entrepreneurial behavior. Academy of Management Learning & Education, 14(2): 187-204.
- Ridzwan, R., N.M.N. Muhammad and A.A.A. Rahman, 2016. Resources, social network competence and youth entrepreneur success: A proposed framework. International Journal of Academic Research in Business and Social Sciences, 6(12): 469-480.
- Seikkula-Leino, J., T. Satuvuori, E. Ruskovaara, and H. Hannula, 2015. How do finish teacher educators implement entrepreneurship education? Education+ Training, 57(4): 392-404.
- Soomoro, A.B. and S. Naimatullah, 2014. Developing attitudes and intentions among potential entrepreneurs. Journal of Enterprise Information Management, 28(2): 304.322.
- Tat, T.B., W. Preechaporn, L.C. Kin and F.H. Kheong, 2011. Problem-based learning the 4 core areas (PBL4C): Identifying and Redefining Values for Nurturing Creativity in Building a New Nation in Southeast Asia. UNESCO-APEID International Conference.
- Vahdany, F. and L. Gerivani, 2016. An analysis of the English language needs of medical students and general practitioners: A case study of Guilan University of Medical Sciences. International Journal of English Language and Literature Studies, 5(2): 104-110.
- Val, E., I. Gonzalez, I. Iriarte, A. Beitia, G. Lasa and M. Elkoro, 2017. A design thinking approach to introducing entrepreneurship education in European school curricula. The Design Journal, 20(1): S754-S766.
- Verma, C., V. Stoffova and I. Zoltán, 2018. Perception difference of Indian students towards information and communication technology in the context of University Affiliation. Asian Journal of Contemporary Education, 2(1): 36-42.
- Wijayanto, H. and U. Sumarwan, 2016. Analysis of the factors influencing Bogor senior high school student choice in choosing Bogor agricultural university (Indonesia) for further study. Journal of Education and e-Learning Research, 3(3): 87-97.
- Yunus, A.R., A. Aris, I.A. Majid, and M.S.M. Saad, 2014. FELDA youth entrepreneurs and personality-environment congruency. The Journal of Technology Management and Technopreneurship (JTMT), 2(1): 37-49.
- Zain, Z.M., and N.A. Mustapha, 2012. The development of young entrepreneurs' global propensity index. GSTF Business Review (GBR), 2(2): 180.
- Zaremohzzabieh, Z., B.A. Samah, M. Muhammad, S.Z. Omar, J. Bolong and H.A.M. Shaffril, 2016. An investigation into factors influencing rural youth entrepreneurs' intentions to use ICT: a case of Malaysia. International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Small Business, 27(4): 480-504.