Authors retain the copyright without restrictions for their published content in this journal. HSSR is a SHERPA ROMEO Green Journal.
THE IMPACT OF LEADERSHIP STYLES ON R&D TEAM PERFORMANCE AND THE MEDIATING ROLE OF KNOWLEDGE SHARING
Corresponding Author(s) : Faridatul Sakinah Othman
Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews,
Vol. 7 No. 2 (2019): March
Purpose: This study aims to examine the impact of leadership styles, specifically on transformational leadership and transactional leadership in R&D team performance of researcher in UniversitiTeknikal Malaysia Melaka (UTeM). Further, this study was to examine the impact of knowledge sharing on R&D team performance as mediating variables.
Methodology: The survey method was adopted to carry out the research. A structured Multifactor Leadership Questionnaire (MLQ) was used for data collection. R&D team performance was assessed based on measures of performance. Regression and Correlation statistical techniques were used to analyze the data elicited from one hundred seventy two (172) randomly selected respondents.
Main Findings: It was revealed from the study that while transformational leadership style had a positive impact on R&D team performance; transactional leadership style also had a positive impact on R&D team performance. It was also revealed from the study that knowledge sharing have significant and positive relationship with mediate both transformational leadership and transactional leadership on R&D team performance.
Implications/Applications: This research shows that R&D teams also can use the full range leadership styles although there are comparisons of uniqueness that exists in the R&D teams with other contexts. This is because leading an R&D team requires the leader to possess certain skills in addition to technical expertise, such as spreading information regarding technical advances, being knowledgeable regarding current professional activities and possessing strategic planning skills in an innovative climate where the team is not permanent or lasts only for a short period of time. This research confirmed that leadership styles led to significant team performance benefits such as an increase achievement of technical objectives, efficiency of resource utilization and other achievements.
Novelty/Originality: This study has successfully extended the full leadership literature by conceptualizing how the transformational leadership and transactional leadership styles positively impact the R&D team's performance. Hence, the findings in this study may be beneficial and act as a framework or a limitation for other studies.
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- Asrar-ul-Haq, M., &Kuchinke, K. P. (2016). Impact of leadership styles on employees’ attitude towards their leader and performance: Empirical evidence from Pakistani banks. Future Business Journal, 2(1), 54-64.
- Assimakopoulos, D., & Yan, J. (2006). Sources of knowledge acquisition for Chinese software engineers. R&D Management, 36(1), 97-106.
- Bass, B. M. (1985). Leadership: Good, better, best. Organizational Dynamics. http://doi.org/10.1016/0090-2616(85)90028-2
- Bass, B. M., &Riggio, R. E. (2006). Transformational Leadership (2nd Editio). Mahwah, New jersey: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates Publishers.
- Bono, J. E., & Judge, T. a. (2004). Personality and transformational and transactional leadership: a meta-analysis. The Journal of Applied Psychology, 89(5), 901–10. http://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.89.5.901
- Burns, J.M., 1978. Leadership. New York: Harper & Row.
- Chege, M. E., &Gakobu, J. (2017). Influence of leadership styles on performance of telecommunication industry in Kenya. International Academic Journal of Human Resource and Business Administration, 2(4), 256-281.
- DuBois, M., Koch, J., Hanlon, J., Nyatuga, B., & Kerr, N. (2015). Leadership Styles of Effective Project Managers: Techniques and Traits to Lead High Performance Teams. Journal of Economic Development, Management, IT, Finance & Marketing, 7(1).
- Hartog, D. N. Den, Muijen, J. J. Van, &Koopman, P. L. (1997). Transactional versus transformational leadership : An analysis of the MLQ. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, (1997), 19–34.
- Hussain, H. K., Talib, N. A., & Shah, I. M. (2014). Exploring the Impact of Transformational Leadership on Process Innovation and Product Innovation: A Case of Iraqi Public Universities. Asian Social Science, 10(21), 168–175. http://doi.org/10.5539/ass.v10n21p168
- Kamaludin, M. H., Majid, I. A., Saad, M. S. M., & Aziz, N. A. (2012). Sustainability–Driven Entrepreneurship: The Relationship between Entrepreneurial Orientation and Environmental Sustainability Management of SMEs. Paper Id Title Authors Page Number, 217.
- Lee, J.-N. (2001). The impact of knowledge sharing, organizational capability and partnership quality on IS outsourcing success. Information & Management, 38, 323–335.
- Liao, L. (2008). Knowledge-sharing in R & D departments : a social power and social exchange theory perspective, 19(10), 1881–1895. http://doi.org/10.1080/09585190802324072
- Liu, N.-C. and Liu, M.-S., 2011. Human resource practices and individual knowledge-sharing behavior – an empirical study for Taiwanese R&D professionals. The International Journal of Human Resource Management, 22 (4), pp.981–997.
- Karakitapoglu-Aygun, Z., &Gumusluoglu, L. (2013). The bright and dark sides of leadership: Transformational vs. non-transformational leadership in a non-Western context. Leadership, 9(1), 107–133. http://doi.org/10.1177/1742715012455131
- Mahdinezhad, M., &Suandi, B. (2013). Transformational, Transactional Leadership Styles and Job Performance of Academic Leaders. International Education Studies, 6(11), 29-34.
- Marturano, A., & Gosling, J. (2008). Leadership; The Key Concepts. New York: Routledge.
- MohdShamsuriMdSaad ; Tim Mazzarol. (2015). Enhancing and sustaining organizational innovative performance through transformational leadership enhancing and sustaining organizational innovative. International Symposium on Research in Innovation and Sustainability
- Nanjundeswaraswamy, T. S., &Swamy, D. R. (2014). Leadership styles. Advances in management, 7(2), 57.
- Olin, D., & Lai, A. (2011). Transformational-Transactional Leadership Theory Transformational-transactional leadership theory (17). AHS Capstone Project Paper 17. Capstone.
- Peter G, N. (2015). Leadership : Theory and Practice (7th Revise). Thousand Oaks, United States of America: SAGE Publications Inc.
- Rich, C. (2002). Transformational and Transactional Leadership as a Function of Management Level in Service and Manufacturing Organizations.
- Rizal, A. R. A., Nordin, S. M., Saad, M. S., & Ismail, K. (2012). Engagement Strategies for Stakeholder Management in New Technology Development in the Fertilizer Industry–A Conceptual Framework. World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, International Journal of Social, Behavioral, Educational, Economic, Business and Industrial Engineering, 6(11), 2947-2953.
- Rosenbach, W. E. 2018. Contemporary issues in leadership. Routledge.
- Sethuraman, K., & Suresh, J. (2014). Effective leadership styles. International Business Research, 7(9), 165.
- Srivastava, A., Bartol, K. M., & Locke, E. A. (2006). Empowering Leadership in Management Teams: Effects on Knowledge Sharing, Efficacy, and Performance. Academy of Management Journal. http://doi.org/10.5465/AMJ.2006.23478718
- Tyssen, A.K., Wald, A., and Spieth, P., (2014). The challenge of transactional and transformational leadership in projects. International Journal of Project Management, 32 (3), pp.365–375.