Authors retain the copyright without restrictions for their published content in this journal. HSSR is a SHERPA ROMEO Green Journal.
ROLE OF ETHICS IN SUPPLY CHAIN MANAGEMENT: CULTURE AS MODERATOR
Corresponding Author(s) : Wiroj Srihirun
Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews,
Vol. 7 No. 3 (2019): May
Purpose: The present study focuses on the role of ethics in the supply chain management. In addition to that the moderating role of culture is also examined. Organizational culture has been regarded as an important determinant of ethical behaviours of managers. This paper assesses the potential of organizational culture to impact ethics in organizations.
Methodology: Organizational culture is recognized as one determinant of how people behave, more or less ethically, in organizations.
Results: The research outcome will enable organizations with SCM functions to understand better the role that ethics can play in steering the organization to greater heights. The research will also assist professional associations in the approach of guiding, training and counselling its members on issues related to ethics. The results of the current study are providing support to the proposed hypothesis. The results are obtained through smart PLS. In the author's knowledge this is among pioneering studies on this issue.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- Kittisak Jermsittiparsert, Aphichart Kampoomprasert, THE AGILITY, ADAPTABILITY, AND ALIGNMENT AS THE DETERMINANTS OF THE SUSTAINABLE HUMANITARIAN SUPPLY CHAIN DESIGN , Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews: Vol. 7 No. 2 (2019): March
- Kittisak Jermsittiparsert, Somdech Rungsrisawat, THE SUPPLY CHAIN MANAGEMENT AND INFORMATION SHARING AS ANTECEDENTS OF OPERATIONAL PERFORMANCE: A CASE OF SMEs , Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews: Vol. 7 No. 2 (2019): March
- Kittisak Jermsittiparsert, Komson Sommanawat, THE CONTRIBUTIONS OF STRATEGIC ZAKAT IN SUPPLY CHAIN AND PROFITABILITY OF THE NATIONAL ZAKAT AGENCY: A CASE STUDY FROM NATIONAL ZAKAT AGENCY INDONESIA , Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews: Vol. 7 No. 2 (2019): March
- Kittisak Jermsittiparsert, Ladaporn Pithuk, EXPLORING THE NEXUS BETWEEN SUPPLY CHAIN AMBIDEXTERITY, SUPPLY CHAIN AGILITY, SUPPLY CHAIN ADAPTABILITY AND THE MARKETING SENSING OF MANUFACTURING FIRMS IN INDONESIA , Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews: Vol. 7 No. 2 (2019): March
- Thanaporn Sriyakul, Rofiqul Umam, Kittisak Jermsittiparsert, INTERNAL SUPPLY CHAIN INTEGRATION AND OPERATIONAL PERFORMANCE OF INDONESIAN FASHION INDUSTRY FIRMS , Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews: Vol. 7 No. 2 (2019): March
- Sakapas Saengchai, Kittisak Jermsittiparsert, THE MEDIATING ROLE OF SUPPLIER NETWORK, THE MODERATING ROLE OF FLEXIBLE RESOURCES IN THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN LEAN MANUFACTURING PRACTICES AND THE ORGANIZATIONAL PERFORMANCE , Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews: Vol. 7 No. 3 (2019): May
- Kittisak Jermsittiparsert, Supamit Srisawat, COMPLEXITIES IN A FLEXIBLE SUPPLY CHAIN AND THE ROLE OF KNOWLEDGE TRANSFER , Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews: Vol. 7 No. 2 (2019): March
- Jutamat Sutduean, Watcharin Joemsittiprasert, Kittisak Jermsittiparsert, UNCERTAINTY AS AN ANTECEDENT OF THE SUPPLY CHAIN RISK: DOES SUPPLY CHAIN FLEXIBILITY MATTER IN RISK MITIGATION? , Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews: Vol. 7 No. 2 (2019): March
- Kittisak Jermsittiparsert, Prateep Wajeetongratana, THE FIRM’S STRATEGIC ORIENTATIONS AND ENVIRONMENTAL UNCERTAINTIES AS ANTECEDENTS OF ITS SUPPLY CHAIN AGILITY , Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews: Vol. 7 No. 2 (2019): March
- Amaeshi, K.M., O.K. Osuji and P. Nnodim, 2008. Corporate social responsibility in supply chains of global brands: A boundaryless responsibility? Clarifications, exceptions and implications. Journal of Business Ethics, 81(1): 223-234.https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-007-9490-5
- Amemba, C.S., P.G. Nyaboke, A. Osoro and N. Mburu, 2013. Challenges affecting public procurement performance process in Kenya. International Journal of Research in Management, 3(4): 41-55.
- Andersen, M. and T. Skjoett-Larsen, 2009. Corporate social responsibility in global supply chains. Supply Chain Management: An International Journal, 14(2): 75-86.https://doi.org/10.1108/13598540910941948
- Anderson, G. and M. Orsagh, 2004. The corporate governance risks. Electric Perspectives, 29(1): 68.
- Arjoon, S. and J. Gopaul, 2003. Ethical orientation of future managers: The case of Trinidad. Social and Economic Studies: 99-117.
- Auroi, C., 2003. Improving sustainable chain management through fair trade. Greener Management International, 43.https://doi.org/10.9774/GLEAF.3062.2003.au.00005
- Beamon, B.M., 2005. Environmental and sustainability ethics in supply chain management. Science and Engineering Ethics, 11(2): 221-234.https://doi.org/10.1007/s11948-005-0043-y
- Bhatnagar, R. and C.C. Teo, 2009. Role of logistics in enhancing competitive advantage: A value chain framework for global supply chains. International Journal of Physical Distribution & Logistics Management, 39(3): 202-226.https://doi.org/10.1108/09600030910951700
- Carmeli, A. and A. Tishler, 2004. The relationships between intangible organizational elements and organizational performance. Strategic Management Journal, 25(13): 1257-1278.https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.428
- Carter, C.R., 2000. Ethical issues in international buyer-supplier relationships: A dyadic examination. Journal of Operations Management, 18(2): 191-208.https://doi.org/10.1016/S0272-6963(99)00016-9
- Carter, C.R. and M.M. Jennings, 2004. The role of purchasing in corporate social responsibility: A structural equation analysis. Journal of Business Logistics, 25(1): 145-186.https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2158-1592.2004.tb00173.x
- Chopra, S. and P. Meindl, 2001. Supply chain management: Strategy. Planning and Operation, 15(5): 71-85.
- Christie, P.M.J., I.W.G. Kwon, P.A. Stoeberl and R. Baumhart, 2003. A cross-cultural comparison of ethical attitudes of business managers: India Korea and the United States. Journal of Business Ethics, 46(3): 263-287.https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1025501426590
- Cooper, M.C. and L.M. Ellram, 1993. Characteristics of supply chain management and the implications for purchasing and logistics strategy. . The International Journal of Logistics Management, 4(2): 13-24.https://doi.org/10.1108/09574099310804957
- Drake, M.J. and J.T. Schlachter, 2008. A virtue-ethics analysis of supply chain collaboration. Journal of Business Ethics, 82(4): 851-864.https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-007-9597-8
- Elango, B., K. Paul, S.K. Kundu and S.K. Paudel, 2010. Organizational ethics, individual ethics, and ethical intentions in international decision-making. Journal of Business Ethics, 97(4): 543-561.https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-010-0524-z
- Eltantawy, R.A., G.L. Fox and L. Giunipero, 2009. Supply management ethical responsibility: Reputation and performance impacts. Supply Chain Management: An International Journal, 14(2): 99-108.https://doi.org/10.1108/13598540910941966
- Emiliani, M.L., 2010. Historical lessons in purchasing and supplier relationship management. Journal of Management History, 16(1): 116-136.https://doi.org/10.1108/17511341011008340
- Gallivan, M. and M. Srite, 2005. Information technology and culture: Identifying fragmentary and holistic perspectives of culture. Information and Organization, 15(4): 295-338.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.infoandorg.2005.02.005
- Hair, J.F., C.M. Ringle and M. Sarstedt, 2011. PLS-SEM: Indeed, a silver bullet. Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice, 19(2): 139-152.https://doi.org/10.2753/MTP1069-6679190202
- Hair, J.F., M. Sarstedt, C.M. Ringle and J.A. Mena, 2012. An assessment of the use of partial least squares structural equation modeling in marketing research. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 40(3): 414-433.https://doi.org/10.1007/s11747-011-0261-6
- Hall, J. and S. Matos, 2010. Incorporating impoverished communities in sustainable supply chains. International Journal of Physical Distribution & Logistics Management, 40(1/2): 124-147.https://doi.org/10.1108/09600031011020368
- Halldórsson, Á. and G. Kovács, 2010. The sustainable agenda and energy efficiency: Logistics solutions and supply chains in times of climate change. International Journal of Physical Distribution & Logistics Management, 40(1/2): 5-13.https://doi.org/10.1108/09600031011018019
- Hansen, F. and M. Smith, 2006. The ethics of business strategy. Handbook of Business Strategy, 7(1): 201-206.
- Herkert, J.R., 2001. Future directions in engineering ethics research: Microethics, macroethics and the role of professional societies. Science and Engineering Ethics, 7(3): 403-414.https://doi.org/10.1007/s11948-001-0062-2
- Hoyt, J. and F. Huq, 2000. From arms-length to collaborative relationships in the supply chain: An evolutionary process. International Journal of Physical Distribution & Logistics Management, 30(9): 750-764.https://doi.org/10.1108/09600030010351453
- Hughes, A., 2001. Global commodity networks, ethical trade and governmentality: Organizing business responsibility in the Kenyan cut flower industry. Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers, 26(4): 390-406.https://doi.org/10.1111/1475-5661.00031
- Keating, B., 2009. Managing ethics in the tourism supply chain: The case of Chinese travel to Australia. International Journal of Tourism Research, 11(4): 403-408.https://doi.org/10.1002/jtr.706
- Kushwaha, G.S., 2012. Operational performance through supply chain management practices. International Journal of Business and Social Science, 3(2).
- Maignan, I., T.L. Gonzalez-Padron, G.T.M. Hult and O.C. Ferrell, 2011. Stakeholder orientation: Development and testing of a framework for socially responsible marketing. Journal of Strategic Marketing, 19(4): 313-338.https://doi.org/10.1080/0965254X.2011.581384
- Maloni, M.J. and M.E. Brown, 2006. Corporate social responsibility in the supply chain: An application in the food industry. Journal of Business Ethics, 68(1): 35-52.https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-006-9038-0
- Mentzer, J.T., W. DeWitt, J.S. Keebler, S. Min, N.W. Nix, C.D. Smith and Z.G. Zacharia, 2001. Defining supply chain management. Journal of Business Logistics, 22(2): 1-25.https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2158-1592.2001.tb00001.x
- Okpechi, P., C. Denwigwe, P. Asuquo, C. Abuo and F. Unimna, 2018. Awareness and utilization of e-learning resources by trainee counsellors of counselling education in calabar, nigeria. International Journal of Educational Technology and Learning, 3(2): 45-51.
- Oli, S.K., 2018. Impact of microfinance institutions on economic growth of nepal. Asian Journal of Economic Modelling, 6(2): 98-109.https://doi.org/10.18488/journal.8.2018.62.98.109
- Olowa, O.W., 2018. Determinants of rural residential solid waste collection services in lagos state. International Journal of Sustainable Development & World Policy, 7(1): 1-7.https://doi.org/10.18488/journal.26.2018.71.1.7
- Oluwafisoye, O. and O. Akande, 2013. Business ethics and corporate social responsibility. The Perception of Employees on Business Ethics in an Organization.
- Önder, M., 2018. Contribution of plays and toys to children's value education. Asian Journal of Education and Training, 4(2): 146-149.https://doi.org/10.20448/journal.522.2018.42.146.149
- Onyango, J.P., 2012. Role of ethics in supply chain management of oil marketing firms in Kenya. Project Research Presented to the University of Nairobi, School of Business, Nairobi.
- Onyinye, I., A. Orji, E. Jonathan and O. Emmanuel, 2018. Disaggregated foreign capital inflows and economic growth in a developing economy: Empirical evidence from nigeria. Journal of Empirical Studies, 5(1): 1-11.https://doi.org/10.18488/journal.66.2018.51.1.11
- Osabuohien, R., G. Osuma, C. Ndigwe and E. Ozordi, 2018. Social protection and agricultural production in ecowas: The youth unemployment question. Journal of Social Economics Research, 5(2): 51-62.https://doi.org/10.18488/journal.35.2018.52.51.62
- Pretious, M. and M. Love, 2006. Sourcing ethics and the global market: The case of the UK retail clothing sector. International Journal of Retail & Distribution Management, 34(12): 892-903.https://doi.org/10.1108/09590550610714620
- Roberts, S., 2003. Supply chain specific? Understanding the patchy success of ethical sourcing initiatives. Journal of Business Ethics, 44(2-3): 159-170.https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1023395631811
- Seuring, S. and M. Müller, 2003. Strategy and organization in supply chains-new frontiers for research. Strategy and Organization in Supply Chains, Seuring, S. pp: 1-14.https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-662-11377-6_1
- Smith, A. and E.C. Hume, 2005. Linking culture and ethics: A comparison of accountants' ethical belief systems in the individualism/collectivism and power distance contexts. Journal of Business Ethics, 62(3): 209-220.https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-005-4773-1
- Svensson, G. and H. Bååth, 2008. Supply chain management ethics: Conceptual framework and illustration. Supply Chain Management: An International Journal, 13(6): 398-405.https://doi.org/10.1108/13598540810905651
- Vardi, Y., 2001. The effects of organizational and ethical climates on misconduct at work. Journal of Business Ethics, 29(4): 325-337.https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1010710022834
- Yusuf, Y., A. Hawkins, A. Musa, N.E. Berishy, M. Schulze and T. Abubakar, 2014. Ethical supply chains: Analysis, practices and performance measures. International Journal of Logistics Systems and Management, 17(4): 472-497.https://doi.org/10.1504/IJLSM.2014.061016