Authors retain ownership of the copyright for their content.
UNDERSTANDING DETERMINANTS OF CLOUD COMPUTING ADOPTION USING AN INTEGRATED DIFFUSION OF INNOVATION (DOI)-TECHNOLOGICAL, ORGANIZATIONAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL (TOE) MODEL
Corresponding Author(s) : Can Sayginer
Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews,
Vol. 8 No. 1 (2020): January
Purpose of the study: This study aims to investigate the internal and external factors for CC adoption decisions of companies in Izmir, Turkey using a combination of DOI and TOE models.
Methodology: This is a confirmatory survey of businesses, forming a questionnaire for 176 IT decision-makers of non-cloud or cloud user businesses in the city of Izmir in Turkey. SmartPLS 3.0 software is used to assess the determinants affecting cloud computing adoption.
Main Findings: The study identified relative advantage, compatibility, complexity, and top management support, using security and privacy concerns and cost savings as mediating variables of relative advantage for CC adoption. The survey results indicated that complexity and top management supports are significantly important for efficient CC adoption. The model explained 41.2 percent of CC adoption.
Applications of this study: The study is believed to be useful in fields including business development for most sectors, computing, cloud providers as well as researchers on business administration, sales, marketing, and IT infrastructure. Particularly this study and the suggested framework will help companies and businesses adopt CC appropriately. Moreover, as suggested in the study, governments can use such frameworks when encouraging cloud providers to support companies in their decision making and transition periods for CC adoption.
Novelty/Originality of this study: This study will undoubtedly contribute to the decision making processes of the companies for CC adoption. Through the integrated in-depth analysis of the factors that affect the adoption decisions in an industrial region of Turkey, the study will also provide valuable data for the researchers and businesses within similar company personas.
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- Ahmad, T., & Waheed, M. (2015). Cloud computing adoption issues and applications in developing countries: A qualitative approach. International Arab Journal of e-Technology, 4(2), 84-93.
- Akar, E., & Mardikyan, S. (2016). Analyzing factors affecting the adoption of cloud computing: A case of Turkey. KSII Transactions on Internet and Information Systems, 10(1),18-37, https://doi.org/10.3837/tiis.2016.01.002
- Akhusama, P. M., & Moturi, C. (2016). Cloud computing adoption in insurance companies in Kenya. American Journal of Information Systems, 4(1), 11-16, https://pubs.sciepub.com/ajis/4/1/3
- Al Ajmi. Q., Arshah, R. A., Kamaludin, A., Sadiq, A. S., Al-Sharafi, M. A. (2018). A conceptual model of e-learning based on cloud computing adoption in higher education institutions. 2017 International Conference on Electrical and Computing Technologies and Applications, ICECTA 2017, https://doi.org/10.1109/ICECTA.2017.8252013
- Al-Hujran, O., Al-Lozi, E. M., Al-Debei, M. M., & Maqableh, M. (2018). Challenges of cloud computing adoption from the TOE framework perspective. International Journal of E-Business Research, 14(3), 77-94, https://doi.org/10.4018/ijebr.2018070105
- Alhammadi, A.(2016). A knowledge management based cloud computing adoption making framework, Ph.D. Dissertation, Staffordshire University, 299 p., http://eprints.staffs.ac.uk/2380/1/Alhammadi_PhD%20thesis.pdf. Accessed 15 September 2019.
- Ali, M. B., Wood_Harper, T., & Mohamad, M. (2018). Benefits and challenges of cloud computing adoption and usage in higher education. International Journal of Enterprise Information Systems, 14(4), 64-77, https://doi.org/10.4018/ijeis.2018100105
- Ali, Z., Gongbing, B. & Mehreen, A.J.(2018). Understanding and predicting academic performance through cloud computing adoption: A perspective of technology acceptance model. Journal of Computers in Education, 5(3), 297-327, https://doi.org/10.1007/s40692-018-0114-0
- Alismaili, S., Li, M., Shen, J., & He, Q. (2016). A multi-perspective approach for understanding the determinants of cloud computing adoption among Australian SMEs. Australasian Conference on Information System,s November 30 – December 4, 2015, https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1606/1606.00745.pdf. Accessed 17 September 2019.
- Aljabre, A. (2012). Cloud computing for increased business value.International Journal of Business and Social Science, 3(1), 234-239.
- Alkhalil, A., Sahandi, R. & John, D. (2017). An exploration of the determinants for the decision to migrate existing resources to cloud computing using an integrated TOE-DOI model. Journal of Cloud Computing: Advances, Systems and Applications, 6(2), 20 p., https://doi.org/10.1186/s13677-016-0072-x
- Almubarak, S., S. (2017). Factors Influencing the Adoption of Cloud Computing by Saudi University Hospitals. International Journal of Advanced Computer Science and Applications, 8(1), 41–48. https://doi.org/10.14569/IJACSA.2017.080107
- Alshamaila, Y., Papagiannidis, S. and Li, F. (2013). Cloud computing adoption by SMEs in the northeast of England: A multi‐perspective framework. Journal of Enterprise Information Management, 26(3), 250-275,https://doi.org/10.1108/17410391311325225
- AlZain, M. A., Pardede, E., Soh, B. & Thom, J. A. (2012). Cloud computing security: From single to multi-clouds. Proceedings of the 2012 45th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, January 4-7, 2012, 5490-5499, http://doi.org/10.1109/HICSS.2012.153
- Amini, M. & Bakri, A. (2015). Cloud computing adoption by SMEs in Malaysia: A multi-perspective framework based on DOI theory and TOE framework. Journal of Information Technology & Information Systems Research, 9(2), 121-135.
- Antoo, M., Cadersaib, Z. &Gobin, B. (2015).PEST framework for analyzing cloud computing adoption by Mauritian SMEs.Lecture Notes on Software Engineering, 3(2), 107-112, https://doi.org/10.7763/lnse.2015.v3.175
- Arifin, W. N. (2018). Confirmatory factor analysis and Raykov’s rho,https://www.researchgate.net/publication/325591344_Confirmatory_factor_analysis_and_Raykov's_rho. Accessed 10 September 2019
- Arpaci, I. (2017). Antecedents and consequences of cloud computing adoption in education to achieve knowledge management. Computers in Human Behavior, 70, 382–390, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2017.01.024
- Asparouhov, T., and Muth, B. (2018). SRMR in Mplus. 15 p.,https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/7d1a/de06295314ea4fce371d62577c9057096280.pdf?_ga=2.75308244.771305586.1578600897-478865811.1560331546. Accessed 5 September 2019
- Bento, A., & Bento, R. (2011). Cloud computing: A new phase in information technology management. Journal of Information Technology Management, XXII (1), 39-46.
- Bhuyan, S.& Dash, M. (2018). Exploring cloud computing adoption in private hospitals in India: An investigation of DOI and TOE model. Journal of Advanced Research in Dynamical and Control Systems, 08-Special Issue, 443-451.
- Bonett, D.G., & Wright, T.A. (2015). Cronbach’s alpha reliability: Interval estimation, hypothesis testing, and sample size planning. Journal of Organisational Behavior, 36(1), 3-15. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.1960
- Carcary, M., Doherty, E., Conway, G., & McLaughlin, S. (2014). Cloud computing adoption readiness and benefits realization in Irish SMEs-An exploratory study. Information Systems Management, 31(4), 313-327, https://doi.org/10.1080/10580530.2014.958028
- Charlebois, K., Palmour, N., & Knoppers, B.M. (2016). The adoption of cloud computing in the field of genomics research: The influence of ethical and legal issues. PLoS ONE 11(10), 1-33, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0164347
- Chulkov, D.V. (2017). On the role of switching costs and decision reversibility in information technology adoption and investment. Journal of Information Systems and Technology Management, 14(3), 309-321, https://doi.org/10.4301/S1807-17752017000300001
- Creeger, M. (2009). CTO Roundtable: Cloud computing. Communications of the ACM 52(8), 50-56, https://doi.org/10.1145/1536616.1536633
- Cusumano, M. (2010). Technology strategy and management cloud computing and SaaS as new computing platforms. Viewpoints, 53(4): 27-29.
- Deil, R., & Brune, P. (2017). Cloudy with a Chance of Usage?-Towards a Model of Cloud Computing Adoption in German SME. In X. Franch, J. Ralyté, R. Matulevičius, C. Salinesi, & R. Wieringa (Eds.), 29th International Conference on Advanced Information Systems Engineering-CAiSE 2017 Forum and Doctoral Consortium Papers, June 14-16, 2017, 65-72.
- Deloitte, (2016). Technology Fast 50 Turkey- Winners and CEO Survey 2016, Retrieved from https://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/tr/Documents/technology-media-telecommunications/technology-fast50-2016-final.pdf. Accessed 10 January 2019.
- Fishbein, M., & Ajzen, I. (1975). Belief, attitude, intention, and behavior: An introduction to theory and research. Reading, Mass. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley.
- Fred, D. (1985). A technology acceptance model for empirically testing new end-user information systems: theory and results, Ph.D. Dissertation, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 291p.,https://dspace.mit.edu/handle/1721.1/15192. Accessed 7 July 2019.
- Garrison, G., Wakefield, R.L., & Kim, S. (2015). The effects of IT capabilities and delivery model on cloud computing success and firm performance for cloud supported processes and operations. International Journal of Information Management, 35(4), 377-393, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijinfomgt.2015.03.001
- Giyane, M., & Buckley, S. (2015). Cloud Computing Adoption in Zimbabwean State Universities: An Empathetic Examination. In P. Cunningham & M. Cunningham (Eds.), IST-Africa 2015 Conference Proceedings, IIMC International Information Management Corporation.
- Gutierrez, A., Boukrami, E., & Lumsden, R. (2015). Technological, organizational and environmental factors influencing managers’ decision to adopt cloud computing in the UK. Journal of Enterprise Information Management, 28(6), 788-807, https://doi.org/10.1108/JEIM-01-2015-0001
- Hassan, H., & Nasir, H.M. (2017). Determinants of cloud computing adoption at the firm level: from thetechnological context. Journal of Engineering and Application Sciences, 12 (16): 4186-4192, DOI: 10.3923/jeasci.2017.4186.4192
- Hassan, H., Nasir, M.H.M., Khairudin, N., & Adon, I. (2017). Factors influencing cloud computing adoption in small and medium entreprises. Journal of Information and Communication Technology, 16(1), 21-41.
- Hassan, H., Nasir, M.H.M., & Khairudin, N. (2017). Cloud Computing Adoption in Organisations: Review of Emprical Literature. SHS Web of Conference, 34, 02001, https://doi.org/10.1051/shsconf/20173402001
- Hoberg, P., Wollersheim, J., & Krcmar, H. (2012). The Business Perspective on Cloud Computing-A Literature Review of Research on Cloud Computing. AMCIS 2012 Proceedings, August 9-12, 2012, Seattle, 1-12, Research on Cloud Computing" (2012). AMCIS 2012 Proceedings.5. http://aisel.aisnet.org/amcis2012/proceedings/EnterpriseSystems/5.
- Irshad, M.B.M., Gapar, Md., Johar, Md., & Naleer, H.M.M. (2015). A review on cloud computing adoption: an exploratory analysis. International Journal of Advanced Research in Computer Science and Software Engineering, 5(1), 160-166.
- Iyer, E.K. (2014). Segmentation of Risk Factors Associated with Cloud Computing Adoption. In Endicott-Popovsky, B. (Ed.), Proceedings of The International Conference on Cloud Security Management ICCSM-2014, October 23-24, 2014, Reading, 82-89, https://doi.org/10.13140/2.1.3875.8088
- Jones, S. (2015). Cloud computing procurement and implementation: Lessons learned from a United Kingdom case study. International Journal of Information Management, 35(6), 712-716,https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijinfomgt.2015.07.007
- Karkonasasi, K., Baharudin, A.S., Esparham, B., & Mousavi, S.A., (2016). Adoption of cloud computing among enterprises in Malaysia. Indian Journal of Science and Technology, 9(48), 1-7, https://doi.org/10.17485/ijst/2016/v9i48/88128
- Lai, HM., Lin, IC., & Tseng, LT. (2014). High-level managers’ considerations for RFID adoption in hospitals : An empirical study in Taiwan.Journal of Medical Systems, 38(3), https://doi.org/10.1007/s10916-013-0003-z
- Leimeister, S., Riedl, C., Böhm, M., & Krcmar, H. (2010). The Business Perspective of Cloud Computing: Actors, Roles, and Value Networks. Proceedings of the 18th European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS 2010), South Africa, June 7-9, 2010, 1–12.
- Lian, J. W., Yen, D. C., & Wang, Y. T. (2014). An exploratory study to understand the critical factors affecting the decision to adopt cloud computing in Taiwan hospital. International Journal of Information Management, 34(1), 28-36, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijinfomgt.2013.09.004
- Lippert, S. K. & Govindrajulu, C. (2006). Technological, organizational, and environmental antecedents to Web services adoption. Communications of the IIMA, 6(1), 147-160.
- Lyytinen, K., & Damsgaard, J. (2001). What’s Wrong with the Diffusion of Innovation Theory? In M.A. Ardis, & B.L. Marcolin (Eds.) Working Conference on Diffusing Software Product and Process Innovations, TDIT 2001: IFIP, 59, 173-190. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-0-387-35404-0_11
- Marston, S., Li, Z., Bandyopadhyay, S., Zhang, J., & Ghalsasi, A. (2011). Cloud computing - The business perspective. Decision Support Systems, 51(1), 176–189, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dss.2010.12.006
- Mathur, S. K., & Dhulla, T. V. (2014). Factors influencing professionals’ decisions for cloud computing adoption. International Journal of Research in Advent Technology, 2(4), 397–401.
- Mell, P., & Grance, T. (2011). The NIST Definition of Cloud Computing. National Institute of Standard And Technology. https://csrc.nist.gov/publications/detail/sp/800-145/final. Accessed 7 September 2019
- Moh, ed, Masa, T., Al-Lozi, M., & Rateb Mahmoud Darawsheh, S. (2015). A Theoretical Study on Cloud Computing Adoption in Jordanian Universities, 4th Scientific & Research Conference on New Trends in Business, Management and Social Sciences, Proceedings, 2(5), 75–89. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/283348437_A_Theoretical_Study_on_Cloud_Computing_Adoption_in_Jordanian_Universities
- Mohammed, F., Ibrahim, O.& Ithnin, N. (2016). Factors influencing cloud computing adoption for e-government implementation in developing countries: Instrument development. Journal of Systems and Information Technology, 18(3), 297-327, https://doi.org/10.1108/JSIT-01-2016-0001
- Neves, F. T., Marta, F. C., Correia, A. M. R., & Neto, M. de C. (2011). The adoption of cloud computing by SMEs : Identifying and coping with external factors. 11a Conferência Da Associação Portuguesa de Sistemas de Informação, (Capsi 2011), October 19-21, 2011.
- Oliveira, T., Thomas, M., & Espadanal, M. (2014). Assessing the determinants of cloud computing adoption: An analysis of the manufacturing and services sectors. Information and Management, 51(5), 497–510, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.im.2014.03.006
- Pathan, Z. H., Jianqiu, Z., Akram, U., Latif, Z., Khan, M. K., & Tunio, M. Z. (2017). Essential factors in cloud-computing adoption by SMEs, Human Systems Management, 36(4), 261–275,https://doi.org/10.3233/HSM-17133
- Perdana, A. P., and Suharjito, S. (2017). Cloud computing implementation using a model roadmap for cloud computing adoption (ROCCA) in PT Matrica consulting service.Comtech, 8(3), 145-153, https://doi.org/10.21512/comtech.v8i3.3887
- Rogers, E. M. (1983). Diffusion of ınnovations. 3rd. Edition, Macmillan Publishing, 453 p.
- Rosati, P., Fox, G., Kenny, D., & Lynn, T. (2017). Quantifying the financial value of cloud investments: A systematic literature review. Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Cloud Computing Technology and Science, CloudCom, December 11-14, 2017, 194–201. https://doi.org/10.1109/CloudCom.2017.28
- Sahin, I. (2006). Detailed Review of Rogers’ Diffusion of Innovations Theory and Educational Technology-Related Studies Based on Rogers’ Theory. The Turkish Online Journal of Educational Technology, 5(2), 1303–6521.
- Salah Hashim, H., & Bin Hassan, Z. (2015). Factors that influence the users’ adoption of cloud computing services at Iraqi Universities: An empirical study. Australian Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences,9(27), 379-390.
- Sallehudin, H., Razak, R. C., & Ismail, M. (2015). Factors influencing cloud computing adoption in the public sector: An empirical analysis. Journal of Entrepreneurship and Business, 3(1), 30–45. https://doi.org/10.17687/JEB.0301.03
- Senyo, P. K., Effah, J., & Addae, E. (2016). Preliminary insight into cloud computing adoption in a developing country. Journal of Enterprise Information Management, 29(4), 505–524, https://doi.org/10.1108/JEIM-09-2014-0094
- Son, I., Lee, D., Lee, J.-N., & Chang, Y.-B. (2011). Understanding the Impact of IT Service Innovation on Firm Performance: The Case of Cloud Computing. PACIS 2011 Proceedings, Paper 180.
- Stieninger, M., & Nedbal, D. (2014). Characteristics of cloud computing in the business context: A systematic literature review. Global Journal of Flexible Systems Management, 15(1), 59–68. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40171-013-0055-4
- Technavio, (2018). Construction Market in Turkey 2019-2023, Technavio.com.
- Tornatzky, L. and Fleischer, M. (1990) The process of technology innovation, Lexington, MA, . Lexington: Lexington Book
- Trigueros-Preciado, S., Pérez-González, D., & Solana-González, P. (2013). Cloud computing in industrial SMEs: Identification of the barriers to its adoption and effects of its application. Electronic Markets, 23(2), 105-114. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12525-012-0120-4
- Tripathi, A. M., & Singh, S. (2017). A literature review on algorithms for the load balancing in cloud computing environments and their future trends. Computer Modelling & New Technologies, 21(1), 64–73.
- Tripathi, S., & Nasina, J. (2017). Adoption of cloud computing in business: A multi-case approach to evaluate the Fit-Viability Model (FVM). Journal of Enterprise Information Management, 12(1), 64-73. https://doi.org/10.6702/ijbi2017.12.1.2
- Vasiljeva, T., Shaikhulina, S., & Kreslins, K. (2017). Cloud computing: Business perspectives, benefits and challenges for Small and Medium Enterprises (Case of Latvia). Procedia Engineering, 178, 443-451. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2017.01.087
- Venkatesh, V., & Davis, F. D. (2000). Model: Four longitudinal field studies. Management Science, 46(2), 186–204. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.220.127.116.1126
- Wang, L., von Laszewski, G., Younge, A., He, X., Kunze, M., Tao, J. &Fu, C.(2010). Cloud computing: A prospective study. New Generation Computing, 28(2), 137–146. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00354-008-0081-5
- Yahya, N. A., Arshad, R. & Kamaluddin, A. (2015). Green intellectual capital resources as drivers of firms’ competitive advantage. International Conference of Intellectual Capital and Knowledge Management and Organisational Learning, 327-335.
- Yuvaraj, M. (2016). Determining factors for the adoption of cloud computing in developing countries: A case study of Indian academic libraries. Bottom Line, 29(4), 259–272. https://doi.org/10.1108/BL-02-2016-0009