Authors retain ownership of the copyright for their content.
ERGONOMIC ANALYSIS ON REDESIGNING RICE HARVESTING MACHINES
Corresponding Author(s) : Khoirul Hidayat
Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews,
Vol. 8 No. 1 (2020): January
Purposes of Study: Research was conducted with the aim of redesigning and analyzing rice harvesting machines that are in accordance with Indonesian anthropometry, machines that have designs to minimize injuries to the working position of farmers in harvesting rice.
Methodology: The approach used to complete this research is by method Rapid Upper Limb Assessment (RULA) and Nordic Body Map, RULA considering anthropometric data, energy consumptions. The next step is to implement the calculation of data in the form of rice harvesting machine product design using the product design stages.
Main Findings: The results of this study indicate that improved rice harvesting machines have better performance than the previous machines. Modification is done by adding two wheels on the front of the rice harvesting machine which can reduce energy expenditure by 2.73 Kcal/minute from 3.82 Kcal/minute to 1.09 Kcal/minute. In terms of productivity, it increased by 22.2% from 9 m2/hour to 11 m2/hour. Other ergonomic parameters using the Nordic Body Map have a significant decrease in pain complaints at 10 points of the limb.
Implications: Products produced have valuable benefits that can be felt directly by the community with significant results in the process of completing their work.
Novelty/Originality: The design carried out can provide benefits for traditional farmers who turn to harvest machine technology which can also minimize injury to machine users; this has not been done much research before.
- Boenzi, F., Digiesi, S., Facchini, F., Mossa, G., & Mummolo, G. (2017). A Nonlinear Integer Programming Model for Warehousing Sustainable Logistics. In Engineering Systems and Networks (pp. 99–107). Springer. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-45748-2_11
- Boothroyd, G., Dewhurst, P., & Knight, W. A. (2001). Product Design for Manufacture and Assembly revised and expanded. CRC press.
- Cross, N., & Roy, R. (1989). Engineering design methods (Vol. 4). Wiley New York.
- Das, B., & Gangopadhyay, S. (2011). An ergonomics evaluation of posture related discomfort and occupational health problems among rice farmers. Occupational Ergonomics, 10(1, 2), 25–38. https://doi.org/10.3233/OER-2011-0190
- Dockrell, S., O’Grady, E., Bennett, K., Mullarkey, C., Mc Connell, R., Ruddy, R., … Flannery, C. (2012). An investigation of the reliability of Rapid Upper Limb Assessment (RULA) as a method of assessment of children’s computing posture. Applied Ergonomics, 43(3), 632–636. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apergo.2011.09.009
- Golchha, V., Sharma, P., Wadhwa, J., Yadav, D., & Paul, R. (2014). Ergonomic risk factors and their association with musculoskeletal disorders among Indian dentist: a preliminary study using rapid upper limb assessment. Indian Journal of Dental Research, 25(6), 767. https://doi.org/10.4103/0970-9290.152202
- Grandjean, E., & Kroemer, K. H. E. (1997). Fitting the task to the human: a textbook of occupational ergonomics. CRC press.
- Ichikawa, T., Sugiyama, T., & Manaka, M. (1985, September). Combine harvester. Google Patents.
- Kadikon, Y., Shafek, I. M., & Bahurdin, M. M. (2015). RULA mobile Android application software. 3rd Scientific Conference on Occupational Safety and Health. Retrieved from ResearchGate, Https://Www. Researchgate. Net/Profile/Yusof_Kadikon/Publication/282148644_RULA_Mobile_Android_Application_Software/Links/5604ef0608aeb5718ff02b9c. Pdf.
- Kahn, K. B., Castellion, G., & Griffin, A. (2005). The PDMA handbook of new product development. Wiley Hoboken, NJ. https://doi.org/10.1002/9780470172483
- Kurniasih, N. (2018). Knowledge Management of Agricultural Prophecy in the Manuscript of Sundanese Society in Tasikmalaya District of West Java Indonesia. https://doi.org/10.31219/osf.io/uedxw
- Massaccesi, M., Pagnotta, A., Soccetti, A., Masali, M., Masiero, C., & Greco, F. (2003). Investigation of work-related disorders in truck drivers using RULA method. Applied Ergonomics, 34(4), 303–307. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-6870(03)00052-8
- McAtamney, L., & Corlett, E. N. (1993). RULA: a survey method for the investigation of work-related upper limb disorders. Applied Ergonomics, 24(2), 91–99. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-6870(93)90080-S
- Mishra, D., & Satapathy, S. (2019). Ergonomic risk assessment of farmers in Odisha (India). International Journal of System Assurance Engineering and Management, 10(5), 1121–1132. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13198-019-00842-5
- Moor, J. S., & Garg, A. (1995). The strain index a proposed method to analyze jobs for risk of distal upper limbs. Am Ind Hyg Assoc J, 56(5), 443–458. https://doi.org/10.1080/15428119591016863
- Nurdin, S., Lestari, M. W., Hidayat, K., & Prasnowo, M. A. (2018). Design of Ergonomic Paddy Harvesting Machine. Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 1114(1), 12136. IOP Publishing. https://doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/1114/1/012136
- Nurmianto, E. (2008). Konsep Dasar dan Aplikasinya. Guna Widya Jakarta.
- Otto, K. N. (2003). Product design: techniques in reverse engineering and new product development. 清华大学出版社有限公司.
- Paoletti, T. (2014, May). Systems and methods for ergonomic measurement. Google Patents.
- Prasnowo, M. A., & Hidayat, K. (2017). Kajian Pemberdayaan Masyarakat Dengan Teknologi Tepat Guna (Produksi Olahan Bambu). https://doi.org/10.31219/osf.io/kcj6f
- Prasnowo, M. A., Nurdin, S., & Ahlan, A. (2019). ANALISIS KELAYAKAN MESIN PENGERING KERIPIK KENTANG. AGROINTEK, 13(1), 10–13. https://doi.org/10.21107/agrointek.v13i1.4047
- Rahman, C. M. (2014). Study and analysis of work postures of workers working in a ceramic industry through rapid upper limb assessment (RULA). International Journal of Engineering, 5(03), 8269.
- Richey, R. C., & Klein, J. D. (2014). Design and development research: Methods, strategies, and issues. Routledge. https://doi.org/10.4324/9780203826034
- Sajiyo, sajiyo, & Prasnowo, M. A. (2017). Redesign of work environment with ergonomics intervention to reduce fatigue. International Journal of Applied Engineering Research , 12(7), 237–1243. https://doi.org/10.31227/osf.io/cjgrx
- Setyono, A. (2010). Perbaikan teknologi pascapanen dalam upaya menekan kehilangan hasil padi. Pengembangan Inovasi Pertanian, 3(3), 212–226.
- Singh, S. P., & FMP, P. S. (n.d.). Ergonomic Aspects in Designing of Improved Tools/Implements for.
- Stanton, N. A., Hedge, A., Brookhuis, K., Salas, E., & Hendrick, H. W. (2004). Handbook of human factors and ergonomics methods. CRC press. https://doi.org/10.1201/9780203489925
- Swangnetr, M., Namkorn, P., Phimphasak, C., Saenlee, K., Kaber, D., Buranruk, O., & Puntumetakul, R. (2012). Ergonomic analysis of rice field plowing. 4th International Conference on Applied Human Factors and Ergonomics, San Francisco, CA.
- Syuaib, M. F. (2018). Economic Ergonomic Approach to Design an Optimal Manpower and Mechanization in Rice Production. IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science, 147(1), 12021. IOP Publishing. https://doi.org/10.1088/1755-1315/147/1/012021
- Veerangouda, M., Sushilendra, S., Prakash, K. V, & Anantachar, M. (2010). Performance evaluation of tractor operated combine harvester. Karnataka Journal of Agricultural Sciences, 23(2), 282–285.
- Wiraghani, S. R., & Prasnowo, M. A. (2017). PERANCANGAN DAN PENGEMBANGAN PRODUK ALAT POTONG SOL SANDAL.
- Yazdanirad, S., Khoshakhlagh, A. H., Habibi, E., Zare, A., Zeinodini, M., & Dehghani, F. (2018). Comparing the effectiveness of three ergonomic risk assessment methods—RULA, LUBA, and NERPA—to predict the upper extremity musculoskeletal disorders. Indian Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 22(1), 17. https://doi.org/10.4103/ijoem.IJOEM_23_18