Authors retain ownership of the copyright for their content.
THE USE OF POWERPOINT AS MEDIA OF LANGUAGE TEACHING ON STUDENTS’ SPEAKING SKILL
Corresponding Author(s) : Yuli Ani Setyo Dewi
Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews,
Vol. 8 No. 1 (2020): January
Purpose of the study: Powerpoint is one of the communication tools which used to presenting learning material, and this article aims to know the use of PowerPoint as media that can improve students’ speaking skill.
Methodology: The researcher uses the Pre-experimental method one group Pretest-Posttest design by regulating pretest to measure the subordinate variable, test treatment, and regulating posttest.
Main Findings: The result shows that posttest frequency is higher than pretest frequency by compering median 12.6> 12.2. it means that PowerPoint provides video, audio, animation, slideshow, etc. can improve students’ speaking skills.
Applications of this study: The population in this research are all of the students of MA Al-Asyhar Bungah Gresik with 20 social learners and 23 science learners class.
Novelty/Originality of this study: Media makes the students more understand, the instructor must prepare the exciting material, by using interesting media it helps students more understand. Because the use of media will stimulate students' understanding, the teacher can use interested and straightforward media which can make them focus on the material.
- Ahmad, J. (2012). English Language Teaching ( ELT ) and Integration of Media Technology. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 47(Balaaco 1996), 924–929. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2012.06.758
- Ary, D., Jacobs, C. L., Sorensen, C., & Razavieh, A. (2010). Introduction to Research in Education. Canada: Wadsworth Cengage Learning.
- Aziz, I. N., & Dewi, Y. A. S. (2019a). THE CONCEPT OF LANGUAGE ENVIRONMENT: A DESCRIPTIVE STUDY AT MADRASAH ALIAH KEAGAMAAN GRESIK. EDUKASI: Jurnal Pendidikan Islam, 7(2), 1–23.
- Aziz, I. N., & Dewi, Y. A. S. (2019b). The Effect of Contextual Teaching and Learning on Students’ English Grammar Competence. ALSUNA: JOURNAL OF ARABIC AND ENGLISH LANGUAGE, 2(2), 3.
- Azizah, S., Wajdi, M. B. N., Farida, U., Junus, D., Harianti, I., Chusna, S. N. L., & Zuono, T. T. (2019). Blog Implications as Learning Media in Improving Learning Achievement of Students. Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 1175(1), 12260. IOP Publishing. ttps://doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/1175/1/012260
- Baidawi, A. (2016). Using Visual Media in Teaching Speaking. OKARA: Jurnal Bahasa Dan Sastra, 10(1), 54–65. https://doi.org/10.19105/ojbs.v10i1.811
- Baker, J. P., Goodboy, A. K., Bowman, N. D., & Wright, A. A. (2018). Does teaching with PowerPoint increase students’ learning? A meta-analysis. Computers & Education, 126, 376–387. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compedu.2018.08.003
- Bartolomé, A. (2017). Personal Learning Environments: A study among Higher Education students’ designs. International Journal of Education and Development Using Information and Communication Technology, 13(2), 21–41. https://doi.org/http://ijedict.dec.uwi.edu/include/getdoc.php?id=7264&article=2305&mode=pdf
- Chen, P., & Schmidtke, C. (2017). Humanistic Elements in the Educational Practice at a United States Sub-Baccalaureate Technical College. International Journal for Research in Vocational Education and Training, 4(2), 117–145. https://doi.org/10.13152/IJRVET.4.2.2
- Clark, R. C., & Mayer, R. E. (2008). e-Learning and the Science of Instruction: Proven Guidelines for Consumers and Designers of Multimedia Learning (Second Edi). Pfeiffer: A Wiley Imprint.
- Enwelim, S. C. (2016). Teacher Characteristics as Correlates of Students Achievement in Social Studies : A Case Study in Nigeria. Journal of Education and Practice, 7(28), 110–114.
- Eryilmaz, S., Adalar, H., & Icinak, A. (2015). E-Learning as a Teaching Strategy Actively Used in FATIH Project. European Journal of Educational Research, 4(1), 38–47. https://doi.org/10.12973/eu-jer.4.1.38
- Findler, R. B., & Flatt, M. (2005). Slideshow : Functional Presentations (p. 34). p. 34. Chicago: University of Ultah. https://doi.org/10.1145/1016850.1016880
- Goh, C. C. M. (2016). Teaching speaking. In English Language Teaching Today (pp. 143–159). Springer.
- Harmer, J. (2001). [Jeremy_Harmer]_How_to_Teach_English(BookFi).pdf. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-38834-2_11
- Hegelheimer, V., Ware, P., & Kessler, G. (2009). TESOL technology standards framework (First). Virginia, USA: Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages, Inc.
- Hughes, R., & Reed, B. S. (2016). Teaching and researching speaking. Routledge. https://doi.org/10.4324/9781315692395
- Kalyuga, S. (2009). Managing Cognitive Load in Adaptive Multimedia Learning (First; K. Klinger, Ed.). Hershey, New York: Information Science Reference (an imprint of IGI Global). https://doi.org/10.4018/978-1-60566-048-6
- Knight, E., Paroutis, S., & Heracleous, L. (2018). The power of PowerPoint: A visual perspective on meaning-making in strategy. Strategic Management Journal, 39(3), 894–921. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.2727
- Kuśnierek, A. (2015). Developing students’ speaking skills through role-playing. World Scientific News, (7), 73–111.
- Lee, W. W., & Owens, D. L. (2004). Multimedia-based instructional design: computer-based training, web-based training, distance broadcast training, performance-based solutions. John Wiley & Sons.
- Mayer, R. E. (2005). Cognitive theory of multimedia learning. The Cambridge handbook of multimedia learning, 3148. https://doi.org/10.1017/CBO9780511816819.004
- Oetomo, H. W., Prasnowo, M. A., & Wajdi, M. B. N. (2019). Influence analysis of education quality on campus innovations in private universities.
- Pakula, H.-M. (2019). Teaching speaking. Apples: Journal of Applied Language Studies, 13(1). https://doi.org/10.17011/apples/urn.201903011691
- Pratama, M., Dimla, E., Yin, C., & Lughofer, E. (2013). Metacognitive Learning Approach for Online Tool Condition Monitoring. 1–16.
- Rockwell, G., & Mactavish, A. (2004). Multimedia. In A Companion to Digital Humanities. https://doi.org/10.1002/9780470999875.ch10
- Saputro, S. H., Lestari, V. N. S., Suhaemi, I., Rodli, F., Prasnowo, M. A., Wajdi, M. B. N., … Permatasari, F. (2019). Utilization of Whatsapp Application as Communication Media in Language Teaching and Learning at FBS UWKS. Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 1175(1), 12262. IOP Publishing. https://doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/1175/1/012262
- Savoy, A., Proctor, R. W., & Salvendy, G. (2009). Information retention from PowerPointTM and traditional lectures. Computers & Education, 52(4), 858–867. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compedu.2008.12.005
- Setyawan, W. H., Budiman, A., Wihara, D. S., Setyarini, T., Rahim, R., & Wajdi, M. B. N. (2019). The effect of an android-based application on the T-Mobile learning model to improve students’ listening competence. Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 1175(1), 12217. IOP Publishing. https://doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/1175/1/012217
- Thomas, M., Reiders, H., & Warschauer, M. (2013). Contemporary Computer-Assisted Language Learning (first; M. Thomas, H. Reiders, & M. Warschauer, Eds.). London, New Delhi, New York, Sydney: Bloomsbury Academic.
- Tufte, E. R. (2003). The cognitive style of PowerPoint (Vol. 2006). Graphics Press Cheshire, CT.
- Woods, D. M., & Howard, E. V. (2015). An IT Strategy Course: Why and How. Information Systems Education Journal, 13(4), 4–11.