This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors retain ownership of the copyright for their content.
PSYCHOLOGICAL EMPOWERMENT AND ITS RELATIONSHIP WITH DECISION-MAKING STYLES AMONG AL-AZHAR TEACHERS
Corresponding Author(s) : Mohamed Sayed Mohamed Abdellatif
Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews,
Vol. 8 No. 2 (2020): March
Purpose: The research aimed to identify the relationship between psychological empowerment and decision-making Styles among Al-Azhar teachers. The research also aimed to identify the differences in teachers' levels on the (psychological empowerment and decision-making styles) scale according to the variable (gender).
Methodology: The research sample consisted of (556) male and female teachers in Al-Azhar. The research tools included a psychological empowerment scale and decision-making styles scale. The researcher used descriptive methods. To process the results and validate the hypotheses, the researcher used the correlation coefficients and t-test.
Main Findings: The results show that there is a positive relationship between psychological empowerment and decision-making styles. There is a negative correlation between the dimensions of psychological empowerment and decision-making styles. The results indicated a statistically significant difference in psychological empowerment due to gender in favor of males. Lastly, there is no statistically significant difference due to gender in the (intuitive) style.
Implication: Psychological empowerment should be utilized to raise the decision-making styles of university students.
Novelty: This is a first attempt to explore the psychological empowerment of the decision-making styles of university students in Egypt which may be further explored to enrich the students’ understanding.
- Abu Tohme, N., &Ashour, M. (2016). The role of the principals of public schools within the red line in the empowerment of teachers and its relationship to some demographic variables from the teachers point of view. Jordan Journal of Educational Sciences, 12 (2), 255-267.
- Al-Harahsheh, M., & Al-Hiti, S. (2006). The Impact of Administrative Empowerment and Organizational Support on Creative Behavior as Seen by JTC Employees: An Empirical Study. Management Science Studies, 33 (2), 240-266.
- Al-Humaidi, M. (2016). Career Empowerment and its Relationship with Organizational Loyalty among Faculty Members of the Faculty of Education, Taif University. International Specialized Educational Journal, 5 (4), 236-266. https://doi.org/10.12816/0035703
- Al-Najjar, H. Z. (2018). The relative contribution of decision-making styless, cognitive flexibility and social self-efficacy in predicting the wisdom of university students. Journal of the Faculty of Education, Benha University, 29 (113), 537-601.
- Al-Narsh, H. I. & Abu Al-Enain, I. (2014). The relative contribution of constructive thinking, general intelligence and the five major personality factors to the decision-making ability of general education teachers. Journal of the Faculty of Education Al-Azhar University, 161 (3), 793-855.
- Arogundade, O. &Arogundade, A. (2015). Psychological Empowerment in the Workplace: Implications for Employees' Career Satisfaction. North American Journal of Psychology, 1, 27-36.
- Baiocco, R., Laghi, F.,&Dalessio, M. (2009). Decision- making styles among adolescents: Relationship with sensation seeking and locus of control. Journal of Adolescence, (32), 963-976. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.adolescence.2008.08.003
- Barber, L. (2005). Decision-Making Styles Associated with Adolescent Risk-Taking Behavior. A Senior Honors Thesis, Ohio University. Undergraduate College.
- Batool, S. &Batool, S. (2017). Construction and Validation of Global Psychological Empowerment Scale for Women. Pakistan Journal of Social and Clinical Psychology, 15(1), 3-10.
- Bryant, P.(2006). The role of self-regulation in decision making by entrepreneurs. PhD., Macquarie Graduate School of Management, Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia.
- Devos, G., Tuytens, M.&Hulpia, H. (2014). Teachers' organizational commitment: Examining the mediating effects of distributed leadership. American Journal of Education, 120, 205-231. https://doi.org/10.1086/674370
- Gallotti, K., Cincr, E.,Altenbaumer, H., Greets, H. Rupp, A., &Woulfe, J. (2006). Decision-making styles in a real -life decision: Choosing a college major. Journal of lndividual Differences, 41,629-639. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2006.03.003
- Gambetti, E., Bensi, L. &Tonetti, L. (2008). A contribution to Italian validation of the General Decision-Making StylesInventory. Journal of Individual Differences, 44, 842-852. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2007.10.017
- Gati, I., Landman, S., Davidovitch, S., Peretz, L.&Gadassi, R. (2010). From career decision-making styles to career decision- making profiles: A multidimensional approach. Journal of Vocational Behavior,76(2), 277-291. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvb.2009.11.001
- Halim, C. (2017). Psychological empowerment of faculty members and their assistants at Zagazig University and its relationship to job satisfaction. Journal of the Faculty of Education in Zagazig, 95 (1), 57-118.
- Hosseini, H., Etebarian A.,Zamani, N. (2013). The Relationship between Employees Stylesof thinking styles and Decision Making styles. International Journal of Information Technology and Business Management,15(1), 152- 161.
- Itamar, G., Shiri, L., Shlomit, D., Lisa,A.&Reuma, G.(2010). From career decision-making styles to career decision-making profiles: A multidimensional approach. Journal of Vocational Behavior, (76), 277-291. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvb.2009.11.001
- Jafri, M. (2018). Moderating Role of Job Autonomy and Supervisor Support in Trait Emotional Intelligence and Employee Creativity Relationship.
- Javed, B., Khan, K. Bashir, S. &Arjoon, S. (2017). Impact of ethical leadership on creativity: the role of psychological empowerment. Journal Current Issues in Tourism, 8(20), 839-851. https://doi.org/10.1080/13683500.2016.1188894
- Khashaba, F.A. & Al-Badiwi, A (2018). The level of psychological empowerment of faculty members and their assistants in relation to their spiritual intelligence and innovative thinking. Journal of the Faculty of Education, Benha University, 19 (116), 208-334.
- Knight-Turvey, N. (2006). Influencing Employee Innovation Through Structural Empowerment Initiatives: The need to Feel Empowered. Entrepreneurship Theory and practice, 30(3), 313-324.
- Mau, C. (2000). Cultural differences in career decision¬making styles and self-efficacy. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 57, 365-368. https://doi.org/10.1006/jvbe.1999.1745
- Moran, K. A. (2015). Teacher empowerment: School administrators leading teachers to lead. Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation, Youngstown State University.
- Nawajha, Z. A. H. (2016). Psychological empowerment and life orientation among a sample of primary stage teachers. Al-Quds Open University Journal for Educational and Psychological Research and Studies, 4 (15), 283 - 316. https://doi.org/10.12816/0039303
- Oladipo, S. (2009). Psychological Empowerment and Development. Edo Journal of Counseling, 2(1), 119-126. https://doi.org/10.4314/ejc.v2i1.52661
- Olcum, D. &Titrekb, O.(2015). The Effect of School Administrators’ Decision-Making Styles on Teacher Job Satisfaction. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 197, 1936-1946. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2015.07.575
- Ozaralh, N. (2015). Linking empowering leader to creativity: the moderating role of psychological (felt) empowerment. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 181, 366-376. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2015.04.899
- Polat, Ş., Kutlu, L., Ay, F., Sevim, E.&Habibe, A.(2019). Decision-making styles, anxiety levels, and critical thinking levels of nurses. Japan Journal of Nursing Science, 16(3), 309-321. https://doi.org/10.1111/jjns.12240
- Quinones, M., Broeck, A.& Witte, H. (2013). Do job resources affect work engagement via psychological empowerment? A mediation analysis. Journal of Work and Organizational Psychology, (29), 127-134. https://doi.org/10.5093/tr2013a18
- Salo, I. & Allwood, C. (2001). Decision-making styles, stress and gender among investigators. An International Journal of Police Strategies & Management, 34 (1), 97-119. https://doi.org/10.1108/13639511111106632
- Scott, S.& Bruce, R. (1995). Decision-making style: The development and assessment of a new measure. Educational and Psychological Measurement, 55(5), 818-831. https://doi.org/10.1177/0013164495055005017
- Shaban, A. S. (2013). Self-regulation as a predictor of managers' decision-making styles. Journal of Psychological Studies, 23 (4), 377-410.
- Singh, K. &Kaur, S. (2019). Psychological Empowerment of Teachers: Development and Validation of Multi-dimensional scale. International Journal of Recent Technology and Engineering, 65,340-343.
- Khastari,S.&Asgari, P. (2019).Relationship between Emotional Regulation, Resiliency and Self-Efficacy with Emotional Creativity of Painting Artists in Ahwaz.Community Health, 6(2), 2423-4702.
- Spreitzer, G.& Mishra, A. (1999). Giving up control without Losing control. Group & Organization Management, 24 (2), 155-187. https://doi.org/10.1177/1059601199242003
- Spreitzer, G. (1995). Psychological Empowerment in workplace: dimensions, measurement and validation. Academy of Management Journal, 38(5), 1442-1465. https://doi.org/10.5465/256865
- Thunholm,P. (2004). Decision-making styles: habit, stylesor both?Journal of Individual Differences, (36),931-944. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0191-8869(03)00162-4
- Tindowen, D.(2019). Influence of Empowerment on Teachers’ Organizational Behaviors. European Journal of Educational Research, 8(2), 617-631. https://doi.org/10.12973/eu-jer.8.2.617
- Zorlu, O., Avan, A. &Baytok. A. (2019). The Effect of Servant Leadership on Psychological Empowerment and Organizational Identification. Journal of Business Research-Turk, 11(1), 293-309. https://doi.org/10.20491/isarder.2019.600