This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors retain ownership of the copyright for their content.
HUMAN CAPITAL INVESTMENT (HCI) DETERMINANTS AFFECTING THE INSTITUTION’S PERFORMANCE: THE PRACTICALITY OF PARTIAL LEAST SQUARES STRUCTURAL EQUATION MODELLING (PLS-SEM) APPROACH
Corresponding Author(s) : Farahiyah Akmal Mat Nawi
Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews,
Vol. 8 No. 2 (2020): March(2020)
Purpose of the study: This paper aimed to assess the analysis of the role of human capital investment (HCI) determinants and its remarkable contribution towards the education institution's performance by adapting the Malcolm Baldridge Criteria for Performance Excellence.
Methodology: This research adopted a quantitative study and a survey tool comprises of sixty items with seven Likert scale was utilized as an instrument to assemble data from 309 lecturers in UiTM Kelantan. Next to test the research hypothesis data were then analyzed using the Structural Equation Modelling approach on the SmartPLS3 platform.
Main Findings: The analysis demonstrated the influences of HCI determinants towards the UiTM performance. The coefficient of determination (R2) value of 66.9% suggested that the variance of institution performance could moderately be explained by the observed variables, namely knowledge, skill, and training. The result also indicates the highest positive significant value for skill towards performance with β=0.283, t-value= 1.981 and p<0.005. It is proven that a persistent skill development significantly contributes to the performance.
Applications of this study: The research finding is useful to help the Ministry of Higher Education (MOE) in Malaysia to identify the relevant determinants in improving human capital quality.
Novelty/Originality of this study: There were a lot of studies that were conducted involving higher education in Malaysia. But the only limited number of studies was conducted by scholars in assessing the main contribution of human capital investment factors towards the institution's success.
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- Afthanorhan, A., Foziah, H., Rusli, R., & Khalid, S. (2019). Modeling reflective constructs in generalized structure component analysis: An application to service quality and customer satisfaction in the UniSZA library. International Journal of Innovation, Creativity, and Change, 7(10), 33-41.
- Aimran, A. N., Ahmad, S., Afthanorhan, A., & Awang, Z. (2017). The development of the comparative bias index. Paper presented at the AIP Conference Proceedings, 1870 doi:10.1063/1.4995935 https://doi.org/10.1063/1.4995935
- Asgher, U., Leba, M., Ionică, A., Moraru, R. I., & Ahmad, R. (2015). Human Factors in the Context of Excellence Models: European Foundation for Quality Management (EFQM) Excellence Software Model and Cross-cultural Analysis. Procedia Manufacturing, 3(Ahfe), 1758–1764. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.promfg.2015.07.479
- Asnawi, A. A., Awang, Z., Afthanorhan, A., Mohamad, M., & Karim, F. (2019). The influence of hospital image and service quality on patients’ satisfaction and loyalty. Management Science Letters, 9(6), 911-920. https://doi.org/10.5267/j.msl.2019.2.011
- Aziz, M. I., Adnan, A. A., Afthanorhan, A., Foziah, H., Ishak, S. I. -., & Rashid, N. (2019). The influence of employer value proposition in talent demand towards talent shortage in the Malaysian Islamic banking institutions: A SEM approach. Management Science Letters, 9(6), 843-850. https://doi.org/10.5267/j.msl.2019.3.004
- Beard, D. F., & Humphrey, R. L. (2014). Alignment of University Information Technology Resources With the Malcolm Baldrige Results in Criteria for Performance Excellence in Education : A Balanced Scorecard Approach, (c), 382–388. https://doi.org/10.1080/08832323.2014.916649
- Blanchard, E. J., & Olney, W. W. (2017). Globalization and Human Capital Investment : Export Composition Drives Educational Attainment ଝ. Journal of International Economics, 106, 165–183. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jinteco.2017.03.004
- Bo Hansson, Ulf Johanson, Karl-Heinz Leitner (2004). The Impact Of Human Capital And Human Capital Investments on Company Performance. Evidence From Literature and European Survey Results In Descy, P.; Tessaring, M. (Eds) Impact of Education and Training Third Report on Vocational Training Research in Europe: Background Report. Luxembourg.
- Cefalo, R., & Kazepov, Y. (2018). Studies in the Education of Adults Investing Over the Life Course : The Role of Lifelong Learning in a Social Investment Strategy Investing Over the Life Course : The Role of Lifelong. STUDIES IN THE EDUCATION OF ADULTS 2018, VOL. 50, NO. 2, 203–218 Https://Doi.Org/10.1080/02660830.2018.1550709 Investing, 50(2), 203–218. https://doi.org/10.1080/02660830.2018.1550709
- Faul, F., Erdfelder, E., Lang, A.-G., & Buchner, A. (2007). G*Power 3: A Flexible Statistical Power Analysis Program for the Social, Behavioral, and Biomedical Sciences. Behavior Research Methods, 39(2), 175–191. https://doi.org/10.3758/BF03193146
- Faul, F., Erdfelder, E., Buchner, A. and Lang, A.G (2009), Statistical Power Analyses Using G*Power 3.1: Test For Correlation And Regression Analyses. Behavior Research Methods. 41(4), 1149-1160. https://doi.org/10.3758/BRM.41.4.1149
- Fornell C and Larcker DF (1981). Evaluating Structural Equation Models with Unobservable Variables and Measurement Error. Journal of Marketing Research, 18(1): 39-50. https://doi.org/10.2307/3151312
- Garson D (2016). Partial Least Squares: Regression Structural Equations Models. Statistical Publishing Associates, Asheboro, USA.
- Goddy Osa Igbaekemen & James E. Odivwri (2014). Impact of Human Capital Development on Workers Productivity in Nigeria Public Sector Social Work Chronicle Volume 3, Issue 1 & 2, 2014
- Hair JF, Sarstedt M, Hopkins L, and Kuppelwieser VG (2014). Partial Least Squares Structural Equation Modeling (PLS-Sem): An Emerging Tool in Business Research. European Business Review, 26(2): 106-121. https://doi.org/10.1108/EBR-10-2013-0128
- Henseler J, Ringle CM, And Sarstedt M (2015). A New Criterion for Assessing Discriminant Validity in variance-based Structural Equation Modeling. Journal of The Academy of Marketing Science, 43(1): 115-135. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11747-014-0403-8
- Hair, J. F., Hult, G. T. M., Ringle, C. and Sarstedt (2014), A Primer on Partial Least Squares Structural Equation Modeling (PLS-SEM). Los Angeles, CA, Sage. https://doi.org/10.1108/EBR-10-2013-0128
- Igbaekemen G.O & Odivwri j. E (2014). Impact of Human Capital Development on Workers Productivity in Nigeria Public Sector. Social Work Chronicle Volume 3, Issue 1 & 2.
- J, S. C., & O, I. G. (2016). Effect of Human Capital Development Programmes in Optimizing Employees Performance : a Study of Abia State House of Assembly, 5(4), 1–12. https://doi.org/10.12816/0031277
- Jeevan Jyoti, Asha Rani, (2017). High-Performance Work System and Organisational Performance: Role of Knowledge Management, Personnel Review, Vol. 46 Issue: 8, pp.1770-1795. https://doi.org/10.1108/PR-10-2015-0262
- Khasawneh, S. (2011). Human Capital Planning In Higher Education Institutions: A Strategic Human Resource Development Initiative In Jordan. International Journal of Educational Management, 25(6), 534–544. https://doi.org/10.1108/09513541111159040
- Kline, R.B (2011), Principles and Practices of Structural Equation Modelling (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Guilford.
- Kwon, Dae-Bong (2009). Human Capital And Its Measurement. The 3rd OECD World Forum on “Statistics, Knowledge, and Policy” Charting Progress, Building Visions, Improving Life Busan, Korea
- Majid, N. A., Zainol, F. A., Wan Daud, W. N., & Afthanorhan, A. (2019). Cooperative entrepreneurship in Malaysian secondary schools: A review of current practices. Journal of Social Sciences Research, 5(3), 812-818. https://doi.org/10.32861/jssr.53.812.818
- Mehrabani, S. E., & Mohamad, N. A. (2015). New Approach To Leadership Skills Development (Developing a Model and Measure). https://doi.org/10.1108/JMD-03-2013-0046
- Mohammad Sani Ibrahim. (2001). The Development of Teacher Professionalism: A Claim and A Must. Paper presented at the National Seminar Training and Leadership Education To 10, Genting Highlands: Aminuddin Baki Institute.
- Ngari, J. (2016). Human Capital and Business Performance of Pharmaceutical firms in Kenya. Journal of Human Resource and Entrepreneurship Development, Vol 4 Number 1 July 2012, Pp. 15-29, ISSN 1819-4370, (
- Ode, E., & Ayavoo, R. (2019). The Mediating Role of Knowledge Application in the Relationship Between Knowledge Management Practices and Firm Innovation. Suma de Negocios. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jik.2019.08.002
- Palamida, E., Papagiannidis, S., & Xanthopoulou, D. (2018). Linking Young Individuals’ Capital to Investment Intentions : Comparing Two Cultural Backgrounds. European Management Journal, 36(3), 392–407. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.emj.2017.06.004
- Pasban, M., & Nojedeh, S. H. (2016). A Review of the Role of Human Capital in the Organization. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 230(May), 249–253. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2016.09.032
- Podsakoff, P.M. and Organ, D.W (1986), Self-reports in Organizational Research: Problems and Prospects. J Manag. 1(4), 531-544. https://doi.org/10.1177/014920638601200408
- Rabeea, O., Nassar, I. A., & Khalid, M. (2019). Knowledge Management Processes And Sustainable Competitive Advantage : An Empirical Examination In Private Universities, 94. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2018.02.013
- Ringle, C. M., Sarstedt, M., and Straub, D. W. (2012). Editor’s Comments: A Critical Look at the Use of PLS-SEM. MIS Quarterly, 36(1). https://doi.org/10.2307/41410402
- Ruben, B. D. (2007). Higher Education Assessment: Linking Accreditation Standards and the Malcolm Baldrige Criteria, (137). https://doi.org/10.1002/he.246
- Russo. G (2017). Job Design and Skill Development in the Workplace. Skill Mismatch in Labor Markets, 409-445. https://doi.org/10.1108/S0147-912120170000045011
- Sampson Chijindu .J, Ibeh Grace .O & Emerole Gideon.A (2016). Effect Of Human Capital Development Programmes in Optimizing Employees Performance: A Study of Abia State House of Assembly, Ngeria Singaporean Journal of Business Economics, and Management Studies (SJBem), 5(4). https://doi.org/10.12816/0031277
- Selig, P. M., & Bastos, R. C. (2017). A Human Capital Measurement Scale. https://doi.org/10.1108/JIC-08-2016-0085
- Schultz, T. W. (1961). Investment in Human Capital. The American Economic Review, 51(1), 1–17. https://doi.org/10.12816/0031277
- Simanaviciene, Z., Giziene, V., Jasinskas, E., & Simanavicius, A. (2015). Assessment of Investment in Higher Education: State Approach. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 191, 336–341. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2015.04.430
- Slavic, A., & Berber, N. (2019). The Role of Training Practice in Improving Organizational Performance in Selected Countries of the Danube Region. Inzinerine Ekonomika-Engineering Economics, 2019, 30(1), 81–93, 30(1), 81–93. https://doi.org/10.5755/j01.ee.30.1.17857
- Thomas, R.J. and Cheese, P. (2005). Leadership: experience is the best teacher. Strategy & Leadership, Vol. 33 No. 3, pp. 24-29. https://doi.org/10.1108/10878570510594424
- Vokurka, R. J., & Vokurka, R. J. (2006). Using The Baldrige Criteria For Personal Quality Improvement Using The Baldrige Criteria For Personal Quality Improvement.
- Walker D.C. (2001). Exploring the Human Capital Contribution to Productivity Profitability and Market Evaluation of the Firm. Webster University: DBa. Thesis.
- Yukhymenko, P., Sokolska, Т., Danylenko, A., Babytska, O., Bilyk, O., & Prykhodko, T. (2019). Agricultural Enterprises Human Capital Intellectualization As A Factor Providing Their Competitiveness : Theoretical Analysis. International Journal of Recent Technology and Engineering (IJRTE) ISSN: 2277-3878, Volume-8, Issue-2S3, July 2019 Activities, (2), 1557–1561. https://doi.org/10.35940/ijrte.B1284.0782S319
- Yokoyama, I., Kodama, N., & Higuchi, Y. (2019). Japan & The World Economy Effects of State-Sponsored Human Capital Investment On The Selection of Training Type. Japan & The World Economy, 49, 40–49. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.japwor.2018.07.003
- Zlate, Ş., & Enache, C. (2015). The Interdependence Between Human Capital And Organizational Performance In Higher Education. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 180, 136–143. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2015.02.096