This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors retain ownership of the copyright for their content.
ANALYSIS OF PRIVACY PERCEPTIONS THROUGH SHOPPING BEHAVIOR IN INDONESIAN E-COMMERCE
Corresponding Author(s) : Lim Sanny
Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews,
Vol. 8 No. 2 (2020): March
Purpose of the study: The purpose of this study is to determine whether privacy perceptions have an effect on shopping decisions through shopping behaviour in Indonesian e-commerce.
Methodology: This is a quantitative research using the SEM-PLS method and its purpose is for exploratory research with Millennials (aged 22-37) and Baby Boomers (53- 72) as respondents. Out of 178 questionnaires, 155 of them can proceed.
Main Findings: Privacy perceptions affect millennials and baby boomers in their online shopping decision. Privacy Risk Company shall provide more information about how the companies secure consumers’ data.
Applications of this study: In Indonesian e-commerce, the company needs to reduce transaction risk by giving money compensation or money-back guarantee to the customers if something happens throughout the transaction process. Besides that, Indonesian e-commerce needs to improve their website design and more information to the customer.
Novelty/Originality of this study: Comparison between Millenials and baby boomers’ privacy perceptions through shopping behaviour in Indonesia e-commerce website.
- Alfred, O. (2013). Influences of Price and Quality on Consumer Purchase of Mobile Phone in The Kumasi Metropolis in Ghana a Comparative Study. European Journal of Business and Management, 179-199.
- Belanger, F., Hiller, J., & Smith, W. (2002). Trustworthiness in Electronic Commerce: The Role of Privacy, Security, and Site Attributes. The Journal of Strategic Information Systems, 11(3), 245-270. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0963-8687(02)00018-5
- Bruseke, L. (2016). The influence of privacy perceptions on online. 7th IBA Bachelor Thesis Conference.
- Büttner, O., & Göritz, A. (2008). Perceived trustworthiness of online shops. Journal of Consumer Behaviour, 7(1), 35-50. https://doi.org/10.1002/cb.235
- Gefen, D., Karahanna, E., & Straub, D. (2003). Trust and TAM in online shopping: an integrated model. MIS Quarterly, 27(1), 51-90. https://doi.org/10.2307/30036519
- Grant, G. B. (2017). Exploring the Possibility of Peak Individualism, Humanity's Existential Crisis, and an Emerging Age of Purpose. Frontiers in Psychology. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2017.01478
- GTAI. (2015). The ECommerce Market in Germany. https://www.gtai.de/GTAI/Content/EN/Invest/_Share dDocs/Downloads/GTAI/Fact-sheets/Businessservices-ict/fact-sheet-e-commerce-en.pdf?v=5.
- Harris, K., Stiles, J., & Durocher, J. (2011). A preliminary evaluation of the millennial shopping experience: Preferences and plateaus. Hospitality Review, 29(1), 2.
- Hersona, S. M. (2013). Analisis Pengaruh Bauran Promosi Terhadap Keputusan Pembelian di Lembaka Pendidikan Speaking Karawang. Jurnal Manajemen, 10(3), 1149-1159.
- Hsiao, K. L., Chuan-Chuan Lin, J., Wang, X. Y, Lu, H. P., & Yu, H. . (2010). Antecedents and consequences of trust in online product recommendations: An empirical study in social shopping. Online Information Review, 34(6), 935-953. https://doi.org/10.1108/14684521011099414
- Hughes, A. (2008). Y and how: Strategies for reaching the elusive Generation Y consumer. Honors College Theses, 74.
- Jusoh, Z., & Ling, G. (2012). Factors influencing consumers’ attitude towards e-commerce purchases through online shopping. International Journal of Humanities and Social Science, 2(4), 223-230.
- Kim, D., Ferrin, D., & Rao, H. (2008). A trust-based consumer decision-making model in electronic commerce: The role of trust, perceived risk, and their antecedents. Decision support systems, 44(2), 544-564. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dss.2007.07.001
- KOMINFO. (2018, February). Jumlah Pengguna Internet 2017 Meningkat, Kominfo Terus Lakukan Percepatan Pembangunan Broadband.
- Koyuncu, C., & Bhattacharya, G. (2004). The impacts of quickness, price, payment risk, and delivery issues on on-line shopping. The Journal of SocioEconomics, 33(2), 241-251. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socec.2003.12.011
- KPMG. (2016, November 3). Over half of consumers have decided against an online purchase due to privacy concerns: KPMG International.
- KPMG. (2017). The truth about online consumers. Swiss: KPMG International.
- Lee, H., & Moon, H. (2015). Perceived Risk of Online Apparel Mass Customization Scale Development and Validation. Clothing and Textiles Research Journal., 33(2), 115-128. https://doi.org/10.1177/0887302X15569345
- Li, H., Jiang, J., & Wu, M. (2014). The effects of trust assurances on consumers' initial online trust: A two-stage decision-making process perspective. International Journal of Information Management, 34(3), 395-405. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijinfomgt.2014.02.004
- Lim, N. (2003). Consumers’ perceived risk: sources versus consequences. Electronic Commerce Research and Application, 2(3), 216-228. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1567-4223(03)00025-5
- Ling, K., Chai, L., & Phiew, T. (2010). The effects of shopping orientations, online trust and prior online purchase experience toward customers' online purchase intention. International Business Research, 3(3), 63. https://doi.org/10.5539/ibr.v3n3p63
- Lissitsa, S., & Kol, O. (2016). Generation X vs. Generation Y–A decade of online shopping. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 31, 304-312. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jretconser.2016.04.015
- Luo, X., Li, H., J, Z., & Shim, J. (2010). Examining multi-dimensional trust and multi-faceted risk in initial acceptance of emerging technologies: An empirical study of mobile banking services. Decision support systems, 49(2), 222-234. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dss.2010.02.008
- Mangold, W., & Smith, K. (2012). Selling to Millennials with online reviews. Business Horizons, 55(2), 141-153. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bushor.2011.11.001
- McAllister, D. (1995). Affect- and Cognition-Based Trust as Foundations for Interpersonal Cooperation in Organizations. The Academy of Management Journal, 38(1), 24-59. https://doi.org/10.2307/256727
- Miauw, K. H. (2016). Motivasi Konsumen Dan Sikap Konsumen Terhadap Keputusan Pembelian Di WILD. Jurnal Manajemen dan Start-Up Bisnis, 567-575.
- Moreno, F. M., Lafuente, J. G., Carreón, F. Á., & Moreno, S. M. (2017). The Characterization of the Millennials and Their Buying Behavior. International Journal of Marketing Studies. https://doi.org/10.5539/ijms.v9n5p135
- Nyshadham, E.A. (2000). Privacy policies of air travel web sites: a survey and analysis. Journal of Air Transport Management, 6(3), 143-152. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0969-6997(00)00007-7
- Ordun, G. (2015). Millennial (Gen Y) consumer behavior their shopping preferences and perceptual maps associated with brand loyalty. Canadian Social Science, 11(4), 40-55.
- Pologerogis, N. (2017, March 6). How Globalization Affects Developed Countries.
- Rose, G, Khoo, H, & D.W, S. (1999). Current technological impediments to business-to-consumer electronic commerce. Communications of the AIS, 1. https://doi.org/10.17705/1CAIS.00116
- Schiffman, & Kanuk. (2007). Perilaku Konsumen, dialih bahasakan oleh Zulkifli Kasip, Edisi Ketujuh.
- Sullivan, P., & Hyun, S. (2016). Clothing Retail Channel Use and Digital Behavior: Generation and Gender Differences. Journal of Business Theory and Practice, 4(1), 125. https://doi.org/10.22158/jbtp.v4n1p125
- Widayanto, R. A. (2017). Pengaruh Kepercayaan Dan Risiko Terhadap Keputusan Pembelian Melalui Sikap Pengguna Pada Situs Belanja Online Lazada.com. Administrasi Bisnis.