This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors retain ownership of the copyright for their content.
STYLISTICS ANALYSIS OF SOUND DEVICE USING PARALLELISM ON THE SELECTED TIGRINA POEMS
Corresponding Author(s) : Pawan Dwivedi
Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews,
Vol. 8 No. 2 (2020): March
Purpose of the study: The purpose of the article is to identify parallelism as the kind of sound device utilized and to examine the role these sound devices play in encoding or reinforcing meaning within the lines and the whole poem in the selected poems of Tigrigna written by Giemay Gebru.
Methodology: The research is theoretical, methodical and descriptive in nature and draws on library materials. Therefore, linguistics and stylistics approach i.e. phonological is used to analyze the data. Parallelism is one of the most important sound devices which is one of many stylistic approaches is used in this study as a descriptive method. As a model, the study adopts the revised method proposed by (Leech 1969) in his book “A Linguistic Guide to English Poetry, and (Mick Short's 1996) “Exploring the Language of Poems, play, and prose”. Furthermore, the chart that shows the phonemes of Tigrigna and writing systems that are summarized by Yohanes Zewedie is used as one method of analysis. In addition to that, the poems are translated into the English language and written in their phonetic transcription.
Results: The main result of the findings shows that parallelism as sound devices is observed in the selected poems. As revealed in the study, the poet, Girmay Gebru utilizing parallelism devices for the purpose of highlighting the issue and need to be emphasized and strongly express his tone of an idea what he needs to portray.
Application of this study: The study undertaken in the present study is justifiable and valuable since it attempts a new-fangled area. Therefore, this study will be of considerable importance to all those who are fascinated by the literature of Tigrigna.
Novelty/Originality of this study: In this research, the model of the stylistic aspect of translation and phonetic transcription-translation of the selected poems are presented in a full and complete manner.
- Adeyanju, D. (2008). Season‟s Greetings from a Cleric: A Stylo-Semantic Analysis of Pastor. O.E.A Ltd.
- Adebayo’s New Year Compliments‟. In Atoye, R.O. (ed.) (PEL). vol. 9, Ile-Ife: O.A.U
- Alo, M. (1998). Style in Language and Communication. Port Harcourt: Aeddy Link.
- Babajide, A.O. (2000). Of Style and Stylistics. In A.O. Babajide (ed.) Studies in English Language. Ibadan: Enicrownfit publishers.
- Crystal, D. (2004). A Dictionary of Linguistics and Phonetics. London: Blackwell.
- Dada, P.O. (2004). English and Literary Stylistics. Makurdi: Abogom Press.
- Daniel Teklu. (1998). Style and Analysis of Poetry. Mekelle: Mega Ltd.
- Finch, G. (2000). Linguistic Terms and Concepts. New York: Macmillan Ltd. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-349-27748-3
- Girmay Gebru. (1993). ዉሻይ” [wuʃaI]. Mekelle: Mega Ltd.
- Leech, G. (1969). A Linguistic Guide to English Poetry. London: Longman.
- Lefevere, A. (1992). Translating Literature: Practice & Theory in Comparative Literature Context. New York: The Modern Language Association of America.
- Roach, P. (2002). English Phonetics and Phonology:A Practical Course. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.https://www.researchgate.net/publication/308464793
- Roca, I. and Johnson, W. (2000). A Course in Phonology. London: Blackwell.
- Short, M. (1996) Exploring the Language of Poems, Plays and Prose, Longman. https://doi.org/10.1177%2F096394709800700208
- Thornborrow, J. and Wareing, Sh. (1998). Patterns in Language: An Introduction to Language and Literary Style. London: Roultledge. https://doi.org/10.4324/9780203979747
- Todorov, T. (1977). The Poetics of Prose. New York: University Press. Yankson, K. E. (1987). An Introduction to Literary Stylistics. Obasi: Pacific.
- Yankson, K. E. (1987). An Introduction to Literary Stylistics. Obasi: Pacific.
- Yeibo. E (2011). Sound and Stylistic Meaning. Academy publisher Manufactured in Finland.
- Yohannes Zewde (1992).Rwyet. UUBC:KkSZE
- Yule, G. (1996). The Study of Language. 2nd ed. Cambridge: C.U.P.
- Schronkhammer, M. (2006). Sounds and Meaning in Romantic Poetry. Lib.press.