This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors retain the copyright without restrictions for their published content in this journal. HSSR is a SHERPA ROMEO Green Journal.
Secondary School Students’ Cognitive Structure and Misconception in Respiration Topic
Corresponding Author(s) : Noraini Mahror
Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews,
Vol. 8 No. 3 (2020): May
Purpose of the study: This study aims to explore the cognitive structures and identify the misconceptions experienced by secondary school students in the respiration topic.
Methodology: This study is a qualitative study. The instruments used for data collection were the Word Association Test (WAT) and the Questionnaire of Writing Sentence (QWS). The data obtained were in word form. The breakpoint technique was used to analyze the data for WAT while the data for QWS were analyzed by category. Purposive sampling was applied in this study. A total of 23 forms four students comprising 12 boys and 11 girls participated in this study.
Main Findings: The result showed that the students’ cognitive structures in the respiration topic were incomplete. The students were unable to form a comprehensive relationship for the given keywords, and there were also weak or incorrect associations. The misconceptions that had been identified are largely related to the keywords about cell respiration, anaerobic respiration, and breathing mechanism.
Applications of this study: This study provides insights into the students’ cognitive structures and misconceptions about respiration. Thus, it will be useful for teachers in planning their teaching strategies so that they can improve the students’ cognitive structures as well as avoid misconceptions.
Novelty: Most of the previous studies only focused on the identification of misconceptions without further investigation into the students’ cognitive structures, especially on the respiration topic. Thus, this study investigates the cognitive structures and misconceptions specifically among secondary school students who have learned respiration in biology.
- Ameyaw, Y. (2016). Evaluating students’ misconceptions of photosynthesis and respiration in a Ghanaian senior high school. International Journal of Advanced Biological Research, 6(2), 202-209.
- Anagun, S.S., Agir, O. & Kaynas, E. (2010). Elementary school students’ levels of using their learnings in the science and technology course in their daily lives. 9th National Classroom Teaching Education Symposium. Elazığ: Fırat University Faculty of Education
- Ausubel, D. P. (1968). Educational psychology: A cognitive view. New York: Holt, Rinehart and Winston.
- Badenhorst, E., Mamede, S., Hartman, N., & Schmidt, H. G. (2015). Exploring lecturers' views of first-year health science students' misconceptions in biomedical domains. Advances in Health Sciences Education, 20(2), 403-420. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10459-014-9535-3
- Bahar, M. (2003). Misconceptions in biology education and conceptual change strategies. Educational Sciences: Theory & Practice, 3(1), 55-64.
- Bahar, M., Nartgün, Z., Durmuş, S., & Bıçak, B. (2006). Traditional Measurement and Evaluation Teacher’s Handbook. Ankara: Pegem-A Publishing.
- Bahar, M., Johnstone, A. H., & Sutcliffe, R. G. (1999). Investigation of students' cognitive structure in elementary genetics through word association tests. Journal of Biological Education, 33(3), 134-141. https://doi.org/10.1080/00219266.1999.9655653
- Bahar, M., & Ozatlı, S. (2003). Study on the cognitive structures of the 1st grade high school students related to the basic components of organisms via the word association test method. Balıkesir University Institute of Physical Sciences Journal, 5, 75-85.
- Barman, C. R., M. Stein, S. McNair, & N. S. Barman. (2006). Students' Ideas about Plants & Plant Growth. The American Biology Teacher, 68(2): 73-79. https://doi.org/10.2307/4451935
- Bello, Z. A., Bello, G., & Abimbola, I. O. (2016). Identification of misconceptions about plant held by senior secondary school students in Ilorin metropolis. Nigeria. Journal of Science, Technology, Mathematics and Education, 12(1), 316-325.
- Bransford, J. D., Brown, A. L., & Cocking, R. R. (2000). How people learn (Vol. 11). Washington, DC: National Academy Press.
- Ceylan, O. (2015). Investigation of the effect of the use of concept cartoons on the academic achievement and cognitive structures of 7th grade students in science teaching. Unpublished master's thesis. Sakarya University, Institute of Educational Sciences, Sakarya.
- Cimer, A. (2012). What makes biology learning difficult and effective: Students’ views. Educational Research and Reviews, 7(3), 61-71.
- Cokadar, H. (2012). Photosynthesis and Respiration Processes: Prospective Teacher’s Conception Level. Education and Science Journal: 37 (164):82-94
- Dağdelen, O., & Kösterelioğlu, İ. (2017). Effect of conceptual change texts for overcoming misconceptions in “people and management” unit. International Electronic Journal of Elementary Education, 8(1), 99-112.
- Dede Er, T., Şen, Ö. F., Sarı, U., & Çelik, H. (2013). The level of association for primary school students between science and technology course and daily life. Journal of Research in Education and Teaching, 2(2), 209-216.
- Ercan, F., Tasdere, A., & Ercan, N. (2010). Observation of cognitive structure and conceptual changes through word association tests. Journal of Turkish Science Education, 7(2), 136-154.
- Giuseppe, M. D., & Fraser, D. (2012). Myths and Misconceptions in Science Education. Crucible online www. stao. ca, 43(4).
- Gunes, T., Dilek, N. S., Hoplan, M., & Gunes, O. (2012). Misconceptions of the primary 8th grade students about photosynthesis and respiration. Journal of Educational and Instructional Studies in the World, 2 (1), 42-47.
- Halim, A. A., Meerah, T. S. M, & Halim, L. (2009). Development and Application of Diagnostic Test to Identify Students' Misconceptions of Quantum Physics. Sains Malaysiana, 38(4), 543-551.
- Halim, L., Yong, T. K., & Meerah, T. S. M. (2014). Overcoming students' misconceptions on forces in equilibrium: An action research study. Creative Education, 2014. https://doi.org/10.4236/ce.2014.511117
- Harman, G. (2012). Knowledge and misconceptions of science student teachers about physical and chemical change. J. Educ. Inst. Res, 1(3), 130-146.
- Haslam, F., & Treagust, D. F. (1987). Diagnosing secondary students' misconceptions of photosynthesis and respiration in plants using a two-tier multiple choice instrument. Journal of Biological Education, 21(3), 203-211. https://doi.org/10.1080/00219266.1987.9654897
- Irnidayanti, Y., & Kurth, H. (2018, October). Cognitive structure of pre-service biology teachers, the State University of Jakarta on circulatory system concepts using free word-Association test and the drawing-writing technique. In AIP Conference Proceedings (Vol. 2019, No. 1, p. 030008). AIP Publishing LLC. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5061861
- Keleş, E., & Kefeli, P. (2010). Determination of student misconceptions in “photosynthesis and respiration” unit and correcting them with the help of cai material. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 2(2), 3111-3118. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2010.03.474
- Kumandaş, B., Ateskan, A., & Lane, J. (2019). Misconceptions in biology: a meta-synthesis study of research, 2000-2014. Journal of Biological Education, 53(4), 350-364. https://doi.org/10.1080/00219266.2018.1490798
- Kurt, H. (2013). Biology student teachers’ cognitive structure about “living thing”. Educational Research and Reviews, 8(12), 871-880.
- Kurt, H., Ekici, G., Aktaş, M., & Aksu, Ö. (2013). On the concept of “Respiration”: Biology student teachers’ cognitive structures and alternative conceptions. Global Journal of Education Research, 1(1), 063-083.
- Ismail, M. F & Halim, L. (2017). Mengatasi Miskonsepsi Murid Sekolah Rendah Dalam Topik Cahaya Melalui Animasi Slowmation. - Seminar Kebangsaan Sains Dan Psikologi Dalam Pendidikan. 954-964.
- Mohan, L., J. Chen, & C. W. Anderson. (2009). Developing a Multi-Year Learning Progression for Carbon Cycling in Socio-Ecological Systems. Journal of Research in Science Teaching 46 (6) 675-698. https://doi.org/10.1002/tea.20314
- Murni, D. (2013). Identifikasi Miskonsepsi Mahasiswa Pada Konsep Substansi Genetika Menggunakan Certainty of Response Index (CRI). Prosiding SEMIRATA 2013, 1(1)
- Ozarslan, M., & Cetin, G. (2018). Biology Student’s Cognitive Structures about Basic Components of Living Organisms. Science Education International, 29(2).
- Oztas, F., & Oztas, H. (2012). Biology teacher candidates’ alternative conceptions about the human respiration and source of metabolic energy. Ener Educ Sci Tech-B, 4, 749-756.
- Patil, S. J., Chavan, R. L., & Khandagale, V. S. (2019). Identification of Misconceptions in Science: Tools, Techniques & Skills for Teachers.
- Sikumbang, D., Rakhmawati, I., & Suwandi, T. (2019). Investigating the Cognitive Structure of Biology Preservice Teacher about Central Dogma of Molecular Biology through Word Association Test. Journal of Physics: Conference Series (Vol. 1155, No. 1, p. 012047). https://doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/1155/1/012047
- Smith III, J. P., Disessa, A. A., & Roschelle, J. (1994). Misconceptions reconceived: A constructivist analysis of knowledge in transition. The Journal of the Learning Sciences, 3(2), 115-163. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327809jls0302_1
- Soeparno, P. (2005). Miskonsepsi dan Perubahan Konsep Pendidikan Fisika (Jakarta Agrasindo)
- Stephen, C & Halim, L. (2017). Penggunaan Kaedah Bermain Dalam Mengatasi Salah Konsep Murid Tahun 6 Terhadap Topik Jirim. - Seminar Kebangsaan Sains Dan Psikologi Dalam Pendidikan. 28-38.
- Subayani, N. W. (2016). The profile of misconceptions among science subject student-teachers in primary schools. International Journal of Education and Literacy Studies, 4(2), 54-61. https://doi.org/10.7575/aiac.ijels.v.4n.2p.54
- Svandova, K. (2014). Secondary School Students' Misconceptions about Photosynthesis and Plant Respiration: Preliminary Results. Eurasia Journal of Mathematics, Science & Technology Education, 10(1), 59-67. https://doi.org/10.12973/eurasia.2014.1018a
- Taber, K. S. (2009). Progressing science education: Constructing the scientific research programme into the contingent nature of learning science (Vol. 37). Springer Science & Business Media.
- Tasdemir, A., & Demirbas, M. (2010). Elementary school students’ levels of connecting concepts that they learn in science and technology course with daily life. Int. J. Hum.Sci. 7(1):24-148
- Tekkaya, C. (2002). Misconceptions as Barrier to Understanding Biology. Journal of Hacettepe University Education Faculty, 23: 259-266
- Tekkaya, C., & Balcı, S. (2003). Determination of students’ misconceptions concerning photosynthesis and respiration in plants. Hacettepe University Journal of Education, 24, 101-107.
- Tsai, C. C., & Huang, C. M. (2002). Exploring Students' Cognitive Structures in Learning Science: A Review of Relevant Methods. Journal of Biological Education, 36(4), 163- 169. https://doi.org/10.1080/00219266.2002.9655827
- Uzun, N., Özsoy, S., & Keleş, Ö. (2010). Opinions of teacher candidates on the concept of biological diversity. Journal of Biological Sciences Research, 3(1), 93-99.
- Vebrianto, R., Rery, R. U., & Osman, K. (2016). BIOMIND portal for developing 21st century skills and overcoming students' misconception in biology subject. International Journal of Distance Education Technologies (IJDET), 14(4), 55-67. https://doi.org/10.4018/IJDET.2016100105
- Wilson, C. D., Anderson, C. W., Heidemann, M., Merrill, J. E., Merritt, B. W., Richmond, G., ... & Parker, J. M. (2006). Assessing students' ability to trace matter in dynamic systems in cell biology. CBE-Life Sciences Education, 5(4), 323-331. https://doi.org/10.1187/cbe.06-02-0142
- Yenilmez, A., & Tekkaya, C. (2006). Enhancing students' understanding of photosynthesis and respiration in plant through conceptual change approach. Journal of science Education and Technology, 15(1), 81-87. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10956-006-0358-8
- Yildirir, H. E., & Demirkol, H. (2018). Revealing Students’Cognitive Structure About Physical And Chemical Change: Use Of A Word Association Test. European Journal of Education Studies.
- Yin, Y., Vanides, J., Ruiz-Primo, M. A., Ayala, C. C., & Shavelson, R. J. (2005). Comparison of two concept-mapping techniques: Implications for scoring, interpretation, and use. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 42(2), 166-184. https://doi.org/10.1002/tea.20049
- Yücel, E. Ö. , & Özkan, M. (2015). Determination of secondary school students' cognitive structure, and misconception in ecological concepts through word association test. Educational Research and Reviews, 10(5), 660. https://doi.org/10.5897/ERR2014.2022
- Zan, N., Zan, B. U., & Morgil, F. İ. (2015). The word cloud illustration of the cognitive structures of teacher candidates about education concept. In Smart Education and Smart e-Learning (pp. 357-370). Springer, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-19875-0_32
Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia
Grant numbers GG-2019-048