This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors retain the copyright without restrictions for their published content in this journal. HSSR is a SHERPA ROMEO Green Journal.
ANALYSIS OF CAPITAL STRUCTURE AND FINANCIAL PERFORMANCE IN THE JORDANIAN INSURANCE SECTOR
Corresponding Author(s) : Zelhuda Shamsuddin
Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews,
Vol. 8 No. 3 (2020): May
Purpose of the study: This paper aims to examine the impact of capital structure and financial performance of listed insurance companies in Jordon.
Methodology: This study used secondary data that was collected from Amman stock exchange and annual report of the selected insurance companies from the year 2007-2017. The static panel data analysis technique is used to examine the impact of capital structure on firm’s performance. The capital structure is measured using short-term debt, long-term debt, and equity financing. Whereas financial performance is measured using Return on Asset (ROA), Return on equity (ROE), and Tobin’s Q.
Main Findings: The study findings suggest that capital structure influence the profitability of the listed insurance firms in Jordan. The results also reveal a signiﬁcantly positive relation between long-term debt to total assets to profitability indicators, namely, return on assets (ROA), return on equity (ROE) and Tobin’s Q. On the other hand, the results also reveal a short-term debt has a significant positive relationship with return on equity (ROE) and returns on assets (ROA). However, a relationship between short-term debt and Tobin’s Q is not statistically significant.
Applications of this study: The result of this study may assist the insurance sector in Jordon in making decisions regarding capital structure, which is to significantly rely on equity financing or debt financing to reduce financing risk such as agency cost that borne by the equity holders of the Jordanian insurance firms.
Novelty/Originality of this study: The study noted that insurance firms generally play a crucial role in the economic development of every country. This study provides evidence that Jordanian insurance firms need to diversify their sources of financing and not rely significantly on debt financing, as the results prove that equity financing is a profitable source of financing.
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- Abrar, A., & Javaid, A. Y. (2016). The Impact of Capital Structure on the Profitability of Microfinance Institutions. South Asian Journal of Management, 10(1), 21-37. https://doi.org/10.21621/SAJMS.2016101.03
- Ahmad, N., & Abdul-Rahim, F. (2013). Theoretical investigation on determinants of government-linked company’s capital structure. Journal of Accounting, Finance and Economics, 3(2), 72-85.
- Abeywardhana, D. K. Y., & Krishanthi, D. (2016). Impact of capital structure on firm performance: Evidence from Manufacturing Sector SMEs in UK. DOI: 10.2139/ssrn.2816499. https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.2816499
- Akingunola, R. O., Olawale, L. S., & Olaniyan, J. D. (2018). Capital Structure Decision and Firm Performance: Evidence from Non-Financial Firms in Nigeria. Acta Universitatis Danubius. Œconomica, 13(6). https://doi.org/10.5296/ijafr.v7i2.12455
- Ali, A., Ullah, A., Shah, P. Q., Shehzad, N., & Nawab, W. (2016). Impact of Capital Structure on Profitability: A Comparative Study of Cement &Automobile Sector of Pakistan. Journal of Managerial Sciences Volume X Number, 1, 120. https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.2732408
- Alomari, M. W., & Azzam, I. (2017). Effect of the micro and macro factors on the performance of the listed jordanian insurance companies. International Journal of Business and Social Science, 8(2), 66-73. https://doi.org/10.30845/ijbss
- Anarfo, E. B. (2015). Capital Structure and Bank Performance–Evidence from Sub-Sahara Africa. European Journal of Accounting, Auditing and Finance Research, 3(3), 1-20. https://doi.org/10.18488/journal.aefr/2015.5.4/102.4.624.640
- Anarfo, E. B., & Appiahene, E. (2017). The Impact of Capital Structure on Banks’ Profitability in Africa. Journal of Accounting and Finance, 17(2), 55-66.
- Ashraf, M., Ameen, A., & Shahzadi, K. (2017). The Impact of Capital Structure on Firm’s Profitability: A Case of Cement Industry of Pakistan. International Journal of Business and Social Science, 8(4). https://doi.org/10.5897/AJBM11.2103
- Olang, M. (2017). The effect of financial leverage on profitability of firms listed at Nairobi securities exchange. International Journal of Science & Research, 6(7), 290-295. https://doi.org/10.21275/ART20175033
- Basit, A., & Hassan, Z. (2017). Impact of capital structure on firm’s performance: a study on Karachi Stock Exchange (KSE) listed firms in Pakistan. Basit, A., & Hassan, (2017), 118-135. https://ssrn.com/abstract=2945807
- Burja, C. (2011). Factors influencing the companies profitability. Annales Universitatis Apulensis: Series Oeconomica, 13(2), 215.
- Gambo, E. M. J., Abdul-Rahman, A., & Ahmad, M. M. (2016). Capital structure and firm performance in the Nigerian cement industry. Archives of Business Research, 4(6). https://doi.org/10.14738/abr.46.2367
- Martati, I., & Kusrihandayani, D. (2018). The Effect of Capital Structure on Profitability of Manufacturing Company. Advanced Science Letters, 24(12), 9372-9375. https://doi.org/10.1166/asl.2018.12277
- Girod, S. J., & Whittington, R. (2017). Reconfiguration, restructuring and firm performance: Dynamic capabilities and environmental dynamism. Strategic Management Journal, 38(5), 1121-1133. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.2543
- Habib, H., Khan, F., & Wazir, M. (2016). Impact of Debt on Profitability of Firms: Evidence from Non-Financial Sector of Pakistan, City University Research Journal, 6 (1), 70-80.
- Hamid, M. A., Abdullah, A., & Kamaruzzaman, N. A. (2015). Capital structure and profitability in family and non-family firms: Malaysian evidence. Procedia Economics and Finance, 31, 44-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2212-5671(15)01130-2
- Jensen, M. C. (1986). Agency costs of free cash flow, corporate finance, and takeovers. The American Economic Review, 76(2), 323-329. https://doi.org/10.1017/CBO9780511609435.005
- Kirmi, P. N. (2017). Relationship between capital structure and profitability, evidence from listed energy and petroleum companies listed in Nairobi Securities Exchange. Journal of Investment and Management, 6(5), 97-102. https://doi.org/10.11648/j.jim.20170605.11
- Murniati, S. (2016). Effect of Capital Structure, Company Size and Profitability on the Stock Price of Food and Beverage Companies Listed on the Indonesia Stock Exchange. Information Management and Business Review, 8(1), 23-29. https://doi.org/10.22610/imbr.v8i1.1192
- Marandu, K. R., & Sibindi, A. B. (2016). Capital structure and profitability: An empirical study of South African banks. Corporate Ownership and Control, 14(1), 8-19. https://doi.org/10.22495/cocv14i1p1
- Martinkute-Kauliene, R., & Rinkevičiūtė, V. (2014). Impact of market concentration on the profitability of Lithuanian banking sector. Business: Theory and Practice, 15, 254. https://doi.org/10.3846/btp.2014.25
- Muritala, T. A. (2018). An empirical analysis of capital structure on firms’ performance in Nigeria. IJAME. ISSN: 2278-3369.
- Patjoshi, P. (2016). A Study on Liquidity Management and Financial Performance of Selected Steel Companies in India. International Journal of Advanced Information Science and Technology, 5(7), pp 108-117.
- Revathy, S., Santhi, V., & Sreekala, S. (2016). The Impact of Capital Structure on Profitability of Manufacturing Companies: using Multiple Regression Model. Asian Journal of Research in Social Sciences and Humanities, 6(4), 306-315. https://doi.org/10.5958/2249-7315.2016.00060.5
- Risfandy, T. (2018). Equity Financing and Islamic Banks' Profitability: Evidence From the Biggest Muslim Country. Jurnal Keuangan dan Perbankan, 22(3). https://doi.org/10.26905/jkdp.v22i3.2150
- Ahmed, F., & Siddiqui, D. A. (2019). Impact of Debt Financing on Performance: Evidence from Textile Sector of Pakistan. Available at SSRN 3384213. https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3384213
- Shamsuddin, Z., Ismail, A. G., Yusoff, W.S., Mahmood, S., and Wan Daud, W.M.N. (2018) Capital structure, investment, members return, and performance: some Malaysian cooperative evidence. National Academy of Managerial Staff of Culture and Arts Herald, 927-931. https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=wqbr14MAAAAJ&hl=en
- Shubita, M. F., & Alsawalhah, J. M. (2012). The relationship between capital structure and profitability. International Journal of Business and Social Science, 3(16). https://doi.org/10.30845/ijbss
- Siddik, M. N. A., Kabiraj, S., & Joghee, S. (2017). Impacts of capital structure on performance of banks in a developing economy: evidence from Bangladesh. International Journal of Financial Studies, 5(2), 13. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijfs5020013
- Singh, S., Tabassum, N., Darwish, T. K., & Batsakis, G. (2018). Corporate governance and Tobin's Q as a measure of organizational performance. British Journal of Management, 29(1), 171-190. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-8551.12237
- Bahkia, A. S., Awang, Z., Afthanorhan, A., Ghazali, P. L., & Foziah, H. (2019). Exploratory factor analysis on occupational stress in context of malaysian sewerage operations. Paper presented at the AIP Conference Proceedings, , 2138. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5121111
- Majid, N. A., Zainol, F. A., Wan Daud, W. N., & Afthanorhan, A. (2019). Cooperative entrepreneurship in malaysian secondary schools: A review of current practices. Journal of Social Sciences Research, 5(3), 812-818. https://doi.org/10.32861/jssr.53.812.818
- Suardana, I. B. R., Astawa, I. N. D., & Martini, L. K. B. (2018). Influential factors towards return on assets and profit change. International journal of social sciences and humanities, 2(1), 105-116. https://doi.org/10.29332/ijssh.v2n1.100
- Zeitun, R., & Tian, G. G. (2014). Capital structure and corporate performance: evidence from Jordan. Australasian Accounting Business & Finance Journal, Forthcoming. https://doi.org/10.7176/RJFA/10-20-07
- Ai, W., & Chi, B. (2019). The Impact of Capital Structure on Financial Performance of Real Estate Enterprises under Deleveraging. In ICCREM 2019: Innovative Construction Project Management and Construction Industrialization (pp. 759-765). Reston, VA: American Society of Civil Engineers. https://doi.org/10.1061/9780784482308.088
- Venugopal, M., & Reddy, M. R. (2016). Impact of capital structure on firm’s profitability and shareholder wealth maximization: A study of listed Indian cement companies. IOSR Journal of Business and Management, 18(4), 21-27. https://doi.org/10.15410/cijbr/2015/v1i1/61401
- Takele, Y., & Beshir, D. (2017). Firm-Specific Determinants of Insurance Companies’ Capital Structure in Ethiopia. In Studies on Economic Development and Growth in Selected African Countries (pp. 155-175). Springer, Singapore. https://doi.org/10.21275/ART20164109
- Hirdinis, M. (2019). Capital structure and firm size on firm value moderated by profitability. https://doi.org/10.35808/ijeba/204
- Zafar, M. R., Zeeshan, F., & Ahmed, R. (2016). Impact of capital structure on banking profitability. International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications, 6(3), 186-193.
- Zeitun, R., & Tian, G. G. (2014). Capital structure and corporate performance: evidence from Jordan. Australasian Accounting Business & Finance Journal, Forthcoming. https://doi.org/10.14453/aabfj.v1i4.3