PERCEPTION OF EDUCATED CITIZENS ON AADHAR CARD AS A TOOL FOR EFFICIENT E-GOVERNANCE IN INDIA - A CONCEPTUAL MODEL
Corresponding Author(s) : Kavita Chavali
Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews,
Vol. 8 No. 3 (2020): May
Purpose of the study: The research study is an attempt made to understand the perception of residents on Aadhar card (Biometric identification) as a tool for E-Governance in India.
Methodology: For this study, purposive sampling is used and 400 samples are drawn from educated residents within India. The study has adopted Structural Equation Modeling through AMOS to test the hypotheses and build the conceptual model by using five indicators and 35 items.
Findings: The results reveal that only Reliability has a significant impact on the Efficiency of Aadhar card as an E-Governance tool. The study results indicate that Concern as a factor has a negative impact on Efficiency but statistically insignificant.
Implications of the study: The understanding of the perception of residents on Aadhar card as a tool for E-Governance is important for policymakers to bring in better governance and proper implementation of efficient Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs).
Novelty/Originality of the study: The study gives a unique insight into examining the perception of residents as to how efficient Aadhar card is as a tool for E-Governance.
- Agrawal, S., Banerjee, S., & Sharma, S. (2017). Privacy and Security of Aadhar: A Computer Science Perspective. Computer Science and Engineering, IIT Delhi. http://www.cse.iitd.ernet.in/~suban/reports/aadhaar.pdf
- Aggarwal, A. (2016). The MGNREGA Crisis. Economic and Political Weekly. 51(22), 23-36.
- Ayush, A., Rishabh, B., & Sharma, R. (2017). Online Voting Portal Based on Aadhar Verification. International Journal of Computer Application. 5, 15-20
- Banerjee, S. (2016). Aadhar: Digital Inclusion and Public Services in India. World Bank Group. http://pubdocs.worldbank.org/en/655801461250682317/WDR16-BP-Aadhaar-Paper-Banerjee.pdf
- Bhatia, A., & Jacqueline, B. (2017). India’s Aadhar scheme and the promise of inclusive social protection. Oxford Development Studies. 45 (1), 64-79. https://doi.org/10.1080/13600818.2016.1263726 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/13600818.2016.1263726
- Bhatnagar, C. S. (2004). E-government: from vision to implementation: A practical guide with case studies. SAGE Publications.
- Byrne, B. M. (2001). Structural Equation Modeling with AMOS: Basic Concepts Application and Programming. https://trove.nla.gov.au/work/2301646
- Cochran, W. G. (1977). Sampling Techniques: John Wiley & Sons. https://www.academia.edu/29684 662/Cochran_1977_Sampling_Techniques_Third_Edition
- Corbridge, S., Williams, G., Srivastava, M., & Veron, R. (2005). Seeing the State: Governance and Governmentality in Rural India. https://doi.org/10.1017/CBO9780511492211 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1017/CBO9780511492211
- Daya, H. (2018). Did Demonetisation Accelerate Financial Inclusion? Economic & Political Weekly, 53(45), 55 – 59.
- Heeks, R. (2001). Understanding e-Governance for Development. https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3540058 DOI: https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3540058
- Hong, L. Jain, A.K. & Panakanti, S. (1999). Can multi biometrics improve performance? Proc. 1999 IEEE Workshop on Automatic Identification Advanced Technologies (Morristown, NJ), 59-64.
- Karthik, M., Paul, & Sukhtankar, S. (2016). Building State Capacity: Evidence from Biometric Smartcards in India. American Economic Review. 106(10), 2895–2929. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1257/aer.20141346
- Khera, R. (2017). On Aadhar Success, It's All Hype–That Includes the World Bank. NDTV.
- Madabhushi, S. (2017). Right to Privacy and RTI Act, Economic& Political Weekly, 52(38), 17-26.
- Madon, S. (2005). E-Governance for Development: A Focus on Rural India. Springer.
- Mathew, S., & Goswami, D. (2016). Doing More with Less - Developing JAM+ to Reform Public Finance Management in India, Economic and Political Weekly, 51(17), 36-43.
- Naresh, B., Rambabu, S., & Manjusha, K.A. (2018). Implementation of the electronic voting system using Aadhar International Journal of Engineering and Technology. 7(4), 25-29. https://doi.org/10.14419/ijet.v7i4.13590 DOI: https://doi.org/10.14419/ijet.v7i4.13590
- Nimesh, P., & Hemchandracharya (2015). Assess the awareness level of people on Aadhar Card as public wellbeing. International Journal of Interdisciplinary and Multidisciplinary Studies. 2(5), 88 – 95.
- Pandey, A.B. (2018, September 27). SC-ruling-makes-Aadhaar-Stronger-Its-a-win-for-India. The Economic Times. https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics-and-nation/sc-ruling-makes-aadhaar-stronger-its-a-win-for-india/articleshow/65975334.cms?from=mdr
- Pandey, K. (2017, August 31). How Aadhar evolved into an invisible tool to monitor almost all our transactions. Down To Earth. https://www.downtoearth.org.in/news/governance/what-s-your-number--58294
- Rajeev, D., & Sidhartha, N. (2018, October 3). Now-govt-pushes-offline-tools-to-verify-Aadhar. The Times of India. https://uidai.gov.in/images/news.
- Rakesh, A., Sarang, D., & Sripad, D. (2019). Alternatives to Aadhaar-based Biometrics in the Public Distribution System. Economic and Political Weekly, 54(12), 135-141.
- Sethi, A. (2018, September 19). UIDAI breaks its silence after a 'HuffPost India' investigation showed Aadhar enrolment software was hacked. Huffingpost. https://www.huffingtonpost.in/2018/09/11/uidai-fails-to-address-security-concerns-after-software-hack expose_a_23523873/?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM
- Tabish, A. Brijesh, C., & Kumar, N. (2017). Online Voting System linked with AADHAAR Card Computer Department, International Journal of Advanced Research in Computer and Communication Engineering. 6(9), 145-152.
- UIDAI. (2018, July 11). Aadhaar touches three crore lives every day: UIDAI Chairman. The Hindu. https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/Hyderabad/aadhaar-touches-three-crore-lives-every-day-uidai-chairman/article24392018.ece
- UIDAI (2019, October 29) – Enrolment Dashboard. UIDAI. https://uidai.gov.in/aadhaar_dashboard/india
- Verghese, H.M. (2016). Flaws in the UIDAI Process, Economic and Political Weekly, 51(9), 210-217.
- Verghese, H.M., & Pranesh, P. (2016). Overlooking the UIDAI Process, Economic & Political Weekly, 51(36), 103 – 109.
- Wayman, J.L., Jain, A., Maltoni, D., Maio, D. (2005). Biometric Systems Technology, Design, and Performance Evaluation. Springer. https://doi.org/10.1007/b138151 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/b138151
- Wilkinson, J.W. (1992). Accounting Information System. Dialihbahasakan System Information.