SHEDDING TO GROW: THE COMING DOI MOI 2.0 IN VIETNAM’S FOREIGN POLICY
Corresponding Author(s) : Ha Anh Tuan
Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews,
Vol. 8 No. 3 (2020): May
Purpose of the study: The purpose of this study is to revisit the characteristics of Vietnam’s foreign policy since its renovation in 1986, also known as Doi Moi, and explore its future trajectory in the coming decades.
Methodology: This study employs a well-established analytical framework relying on the two-level game theory in foreign policy analysis which denotes that a state’s foreign policy is shaped by both external and domestic factors. Primary data are collected from a wide range of trusted resources and databases and communications of the authors with Vietnamese veteran diplomats and foreign policymakers.
Main finding: This article finds that three decades since the launching of Doi Moi in 1986, fundamental principles of Vietnam’s foreign policy remains intact. Because both domestic and external foundations for the initial stage of renovation have fundamentally been replaced by new contexts, Hanoi will likely move towards the so-called Doi Moi 2.0 characterized by greater proactiveness and determination.
Applications of this study: This study has implication for policymakers, scholars and experts in the disciplines and subfields of politics, international relations, foreign policy analysis given that Vietnam has been well known for its significant achievements in its diplomatic relations after the Cold War and it is playing a growing role in regional and international affairs.
The originality of this study: This study makes an original contribution to the existing literature of Vietnam’s foreign policy because it digs into an issue where only a few numbers of scholars have touched upon and provides a comprehensive analysis of the factors influencing Hanoi’s mindset, shaping Vietnam’s national interests and formulating Vietnam’s foreign policy in the coming decades.
- Abbott, P., & Tarp, F. (2012). Globalization crises, trade and development in Vietnam. Journal of International Commerce, Economics and Policy, 3(1). https://doi.org/10.1142/S1793993312400066
- Au, T. D. (2016). Using open innovation model to enhance knowledge sharing in Vietnam University. Journal of Administrative and Business Studies, 2(5), 241-247. https://doi.org/10.20474/jabs-2.5.4
- Ba, H. T. (2018). Using the internet to promote business learners’ autonomy in Vietnam. International Journal of Education & Literacy Studies. https://doi.org/10.7575/aiac.ijels.v.6n.3p.1
- Bajpaee, C. (2017). Dephasing India's Look East/Act East policy. Contemporary Southeast Asia, 39(2), 348-372. https://doi.org/10.1355/cs39-2d
- Bisley, N. (2018). Contested Asia's ‘New’ multilateralism and regional order. The Pacific Review, 32(2), 221-231. https://doi.org/10.1080/09512748.2018.1465456
- Brown, R. C. (2016). FTA's in Asia-Pacific: Next generation of social dimension provisions on labor. Indiana International & Comparative Law Review, 26(2), 69-101. https://doi.org/10.18060/7909.0037
- Chapman, N. (2017). Mechanisms of Vietnam’s multidirectional foreign policy. Journal of Current Southeast Asian Affairs, 2, 31–69. https://doi.org/10.1177/186810341703600202
- Chinh, H. Q., & Chi, D. T. (2018). Analysis of foreign direct investment and economic growth in Vietnam. International Journal of Business, Economics and Law, 15(5), 19-27.
- CPV. (2001). Van kien Dang Toan tap, tap 51 [Full collection of the VCP’s documents, vol.51]. Hanoi: National Political Publishing House.
- CPV. (2006). Van kien Dang toan tap, tap 47 [Full text of the VCP’s documents, vol. 47] Hanoi: National Political Publishing House.
- Cu, N. V., Son, N. T., Ermoshin, V. V., Ganzei, K. S., Cham, D. D., Thao, D. T., . . . Minh, N. Q. (2018). Dynamics of Red River delta (Vietnam) and main problems in coastal natural resource exploitation. Geography and Natural Resources, 39, 389–395. https://doi.org/10.1134/S1875372818040133
- Dosch, J., & Tuan, T. M. (2004). Recent changes in Vietnam’s foreign policy: implications for Vietnam–ASEAN relations. In D. McCargo (Ed.), Rethinking Vietnam. London: Routledge.
- Duong, M. (2019). The formation of network society in Vietnam: promise or peril? Asiascape: Digital Asia, 6(1-2), 17-34. https://doi.org/10.1163/22142312-12340100
- Duong, N. N. (2006). Vietnamese foreign policy since Doi Moi. (Doctoral Thesis), University of New South Wales, Canberra.
- Dung, V. (2019). Tổng vốn FDI đổ vào Việt Nam năm 2019 cao nhất trong vòng 10 năm [Inflow FDI into Vietnam in 2019 record high in the last 10 years]. Tap chi Tai chinh [Financial Journal].
- Evans, P., Jacobson, H. K., & Putnam, R. D. (1993). Double-edged diplomacy: International bargaining and domestic politics. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- Fels, E. (Ed.) (2016). Shifting power in Asia-Pacific? The rise of China, Sino-US competition and regional middle power allegiance. Switzerland: Springer International Publishing.
- Garrison, J. A. (2003). Foreign policy analysis in 20/20: A symposium. International Studies Review, 5, 155-202.
- Gourevitch, P. (1978). The second image reversed: The international sources of domestic politics. International Organization, 32, 881-912. https://doi.org/10.1017/S002081830003201X
- Graaff, N. D., & Apeldoorn, B. V. (2018). US–China relations and the liberal world order: contending elites, colliding visions? International Affairs, 94(1), 113–131. https://doi.org/10.1093/ia/iix232
- Grønning, B. E. M. (2017). Japan's security cooperation with the Philippines and Vietnam. The Pacific Review, 31(4), 533-552. https://doi.org/10.1080/09512748.2017.1397730
- Gugler, P., & Vanoli, L. (2017). Convergence or divergence of prosperity within the ASEAN community? A crucial issue for the success of the ASEAN economic community (AEC) process. International Journal of Emerging Markets, 12(3), 610-624. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJoEM-09-2016-0231
- Hai, D. T. (2017). Vietnam: riding the Chinese tide. The Pacific Review, 31(2), 205-220. https://doi.org/10.1080/09512748.2017.1377282
- Hang, N. (2016). Vietnam-US partnership: Pillars and prospects. Asian Affairs, 47(3), 465-470. https://doi.org/10.1080/03068374.2016.1225900
- Harrison, J., Barbu, M., Campling, L., Richardson, B., & Smith, A. (2018). Governing labour standards through free trade agreements: Limits of the European Union's trade and sustainable development chapters. Journal of Common Market Studies, 57(2), 260–277. https://doi.org/10.1111/jcms.12715
- Hiep, L. H. (2017). Living next to the giant: The political economy of Vietnam's relations with China under Doi Moi. Singapore: ISEAS.
- Hiep, L. H. (2018). Introduction: The making of Vietnam’s foreign policy under Doi moi. In L. H. Hiep & A. Tsvetov (Eds.), Vietnam's Foreign Policy under Doi Moi. Singapore: ISEAS.
- Kerkvliet, B. J. (2019). Speaking out in Vietnam: Public political criticism in a communist party-ruled nation. Ithaca: Cornell University Press,.
- Kirshner, J. (2019). Ofensive realism, thucydides traps, and the tragedy of unforced errors: classical realism and US–China relations. China International Strategy Review, 1. https://doi.org/10.1007/s42533-019-00013-y
- London, J. (2009). Viet Nam and the making of market-Leninism. The Pacific Review, 22(3), 375-399. https://doi.org/10.1080/09512740903068404
- Macrotrends. (nd). Vietnam foreign direct investment 1970-2020. https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/ VNM/vietnam/foreign-direct-investment
- McLaren, J., & Yoo, M. (2017). FDI and inequality in Vietnam: An approach with census data. Journal of Asian Economics, 48, 134-147. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.asieco.2016.11.002
- Minderhoud, P. S. J., Middelkoop, H., Erkens, G., & Stouthamer, E. (2020). Groundwater extraction may drown mega-delta: projections of extraction-induced subsidence and elevation of the Mekong delta for the 21st century. Environmental Research Communications, 2(1). https://doi.org/10.1088/2515-7620/ab5e21
- Ministry of National Defence. (2019). 2019 Vietnam national defence. Hanoi: National Political Publishing House.
- Mishra, R. (2017). From Look East to Act East: Transitions in India’s eastward engagement. In G. Rozman & J. C. Liow (Eds.), International relations and Asia’s southern tier (pp. 321-340). Singapore: Springer.
- Nesadurai, H. E. S. (2017). ASEAN during the life of the Pacific Review: a balance sheet on regional governance and community building. The Pacific Review, 30(6), 938-951. https://doi.org/10.1080/09512748.2017.1304436
- Nhung, N. T. K. (2017). The long run and short run impacts of foreign direct investment and export on economic growth of Vietnam. Asian Economic and Financial Review, 7(5), 519-527. https://doi.org/10.18488/journal.aefr.2017.75.519.527
- Ozaki, R. S., & Arnold, W. (Eds.). (2018). Japan's foreign relations: A global search for economic security. New York: Routledge.
- PetroVietnam. (2019). Tập đoàn Dầu khí Quốc gia Việt Nam: 44 năm đồng hành, phát triển cùng đất nước [PetroVietnam: 44 years of development]. http://pvn.vn/Pages/detail.aspx?NewsID=a20f8571-5483-491a-80df-3fbd808cd5c5
- Phong, N. D., Tien, H. V., & Vinh, V. X. (2018). Challenges for Vietnam in the globalization era. Asian Journal of Law and Economics, 9(1). https://doi.org/10.1515/ajle-2018-0002
- Phuong, N. T. (2019). Vietnam’s need to become a proactive middle power. Asia Maritime Transparency Initiative. https://amti.csis.org/vietnams-need-to-become-a-proactive-middle-power/
- Pogoson, A. I. (2018). Issues, trends and challenges in an emerging global power structure. Canadian Social Science, 14(2), 5-15. https://doi.org/10.3968/10182
- Porter, M. E., Ketels, C., Cung, N. D., Anh, N. T. T., & Hanh, D. H. (2010). Vietnam competitiveness report.
- Putnam, R. (1988). Diplomacy and domestic politics: The logic of two-level games. International Organization, 42(3), 427-460. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0020818300027697
- Quy, D. D. (Ed.) (2019). Chủ nghĩa đa phương trên thế giới và đối ngoại đa phương của Việt Nam [Multilateralism and Vietnam’s multilateral diplomacy]. Hanoi: Vietnam National Political Publishing House.
- Ranis, G. (Ed.) (1972). The gap between rich and poor nations. New York: Palgrave.
- Raymond, G. (2019). Advocating the rules-based order in an era of multipolarity. Australian Journal of International Affairs, 73(3). https://doi.org/10.1080/10357718.2018.1520803
- Shambaugh, D. (2018). U.S.-China Rivalry in Southeast Asia: Power Shift or Competitive Coexistence? International Security, 42(4). https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1162/isec_a_00314
- Shivakoti, G., Shubhechchha, Hulse, D., Dung, N. T., & Thang, T. N. (2017). Natural resource dynamics and social ecological systems in central Vietnam: Development, resource changes and conservation issues. Amsterdam: Elsevier.
- Siracusa, J., & Hang, N. (2017). Vietnam-U.S. Relations: An Unparalleled History. Orbis, 61(3), 404-422. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.orbis.2017.05.004
- Smith, S. (1986). Theories of foreign policy: A historical overview. Review of International Studies, 12, 13-29.
- Smith, S. A. (2019). Japan rearmed: The politics of military power. Cambridge, Massachusetts: Harvard University Press.
- Statista. (2020). Number of internet users in Vietnam from 2017 to 2023. https://www.statista.com/statistics/369732/internet-users-vietnam/
- Thanh, K. (2019, Jan.17). Tốc độ già hóa dân số Việt Nam thuộc hàng cao nhất thế giới [Population aging in Vietnam is among the fastest in the world]. Báo điện tử Đảng Cộng sản Việt Nam [Online Newspaper of Vietnam’s Communist Party]. http://dangcongsan.vn/xa-hoi/toc-do-gia-hoa-dan-so-viet-nam-thuoc-hang-cao-nhat-the-gioi-511255.html
- Thanh, N., & Loan, N. (2018, December 18). Petroleum industry faces four major challenges. CustomsNews. https://customsnews.vn/petroleum-industry-faces-four-major-challenges-9280.html
- Thao, N. V. (2019). Những cơ hội và thách thức đối với phát triển kinh tế của Việt Nam [Opportunities and challenges for Vietnam’s economic development]. Hoi dong Ly luan Trung uong [Central Council for Theoretical Studies]. http://hdll.vn/vi/nghien-cuu---trao-doi/nhung-co-hoi-va-thach-thuc-doi-voi-phat-trien-kinh-te-cua-viet-nam.html
- Thayer, C. (2016). Vietnam’s proactive international integration: Case studies in defence cooperation. VNU Journal of Science, 32(1S), 25-48.
- Thayer, C. (2017). Vietnam’s Foreign Policy in an Era of Rising Sino-US Competition and Increasing Domestic Political Influence. Asian Security, 13(3), 183-199. https://doi.org/10.1080/14799855.2017.1354570
- Thayer, C. (2018). The evolution of Vietnamese Diplomacy, 1986-2016. In L. H. Hiep & A. Tsvetov (Eds.), Vietnam’s foreign policy under doi moi. Singapore: ISEAS.
- Thu, T. M. (2018). Vietnam’s international economic integration under Doi Moi. In L. H. Hiep & A. Tsvetov (Eds.), Vietnam’s foreign policy under Doi Moi (pp. 235-260). Singapore: ISEAS.
- Thu, T. P. M., Knoben, J., Vermeulen, P., & Tran, D. T. (2018). Made in Vietnam: Internal, collaborative, and regional knowledge sources and product innovation in Vietnamese firms. European Journal of Innovation Management, 21(4), 581-600. https://doi.org/10.1108/EJIM-10-2017-0134
- Thuong, T. S. (2018). Thu hút FDI vào Việt Nam: Một số vấn đề đặt ra [Attracting FDI in Vietnam: Some issues]. Tap chi Tai chinh [Financial Journal], 1(No).
- Tinh, L. D. (2019). Vietnam as an emerging middle power towards 2030 and beyond. The Russian journal of Vietnamese studies, 2(3), 7-17. https://doi.org/10.24411/2618-9453-2019-10023
- Tinh, L. D., & Long, H. (2019). Middle powers, joining together: The case of Vietnam and Australia. The Diplomat. https://thediplomat.com/2019/08/middle-powers-joining-together-the-case-of-vietnam-and-australia/
- Trung, L. H. (Ed.) (2017). Đối ngoại đa phương Việt Nam trong thời kỳ chủ động và tích cực hội nhập quốc tế [Vietnam’s multilateral diplomacy in the age of active and proactive international integragion]. Hanoi: Su That National Political Publishing House.
- Tsebelis, G. (1990). Nested games: Rational choice in comparative politics. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- Tuan, H. A. (2014). China’s South China Sea policy after 2007. (Doctoral Thesis), University of New South Wales, Sydney.
- Tuan, H. A. (2018). Vietnam’s South China Sea strategy since 2007. In L. H. Hiep & A. Tsvetov (Eds.), Vietnam’s foreign policy under Doi Moi. Singapore: ISEAS.
- Tung, N. V., & Tu, D. C. (2018). Vietnam’s decision to join ASEAN: The South China Sea disputes connection. In L. H. Hiep & A. Tsvetov (Eds.), Vietnam’s foreign policy under doi moi. Singapore: ISEAS.
- VCCI. (2020). Tổng hợp các FTA của Việt Nam tính đến tháng 2/2020 [Total FTAs of Vietnam by 2/2020]. Trung tam WTO, 2020(15/2). http://www.trungtamwto.vn/thong-ke/12065-tong-hop-cac-fta-cua-viet-nam-tinh-den-thang-112018
- VietnamNews. (2017, September 29). Population aging in Vietnam is among the fastest in the world. https://vietnamnews.vn/society/394662/population-aging-in-vn-among-the-fastest-in-the-orld.html#x8b6EWG oF8uItGUP.97
- VietnamNews. (2019). Innovation, creativity - foundation for economic restructuring: PM. Vietnam+. https://en.vietnamplus.vn/innovation-creativity-foundation-for-economic-restructuring-pm/147694.vnp
- Vinh, V. X., & Phong, N. D. (2018). Vietnam and other Asian countries in the process of globalization. Asian Journal of Law and Economics, 9(1). https://doi.org/10.1515/ajle-2018-2001
- Waltz, K. N. (1959). Man, the state, and war: A theoretical analysis. New York: Columbia University Press.
- Wei, L. (2019). Towards economic decoupling? Mapping Chinese discourse on the China–US trade war. The Chinese Journal of International Politics, 12(4). https://doi.org/10.1093/cjip/poz017
- World Bank. (2016). Vietnam 2035: Toward prosperity, creativity, equity, and democracy. Washington DC: World Bank Group.
- World Bank. (2019). Vietnam trade summary 2000 data. https://wits.worldbank.org/CountryPr ofile/en/Country/VNM/Year/2000/Summary
- World Bank. (nd-a). GDP (current US$) - Vietnam. https://data.worldbank.org/country/vietnam?type=points
- World Bank. (nd-b). GDP growth (annual %) - Vietnam. https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY.GDP.MKTP .KD.ZG?contextual=default&end=2018&locations=VN&start=1987
- World Bank. (nd-c). Merchandise trade (% of GDP). https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/TG.VAL.T OTL.GD.ZS?locations=VN
- World Bank. (nd-d). Military expenditure (current USD) - Vietnam. https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/MS. MIL.XPND.CD?locations=VN
- World Bank. (nd-e). Poverty headcount ratio at $1.90 a day (2011 PPP) (% of population). https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SI.POV.DDAY
- World Bank. (nd-f). Total reserves (includes gold, current US$). https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/FI.RES .TOTL.CD?locations=VN