E DIRECT EFFECT OF CLIMATE EMERGENCY AND SAFETY CLIMATE ON INTENTION TO SAFETY BEHAVIOR: A STUDY
Corresponding Author(s) : Nor Azma Rahlin
Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews,
Vol. 8 No. 3 (2020): May
Purpose of the study: The main objective of this study was to examine the effect of climate emergence (i.e., work ownership, Islamic work ethic, and employee safety climate) on the intention of safety behavior.
Methodology: The research framework was developed based on the Theory of Planned Behavior and Social Exchange Theory. Stratified random sampling was used to collect data from 400 first-line operators and supervisors within the Small Medium Enterprise. A total of 250 useable questionnaires with a response rate of 75% were used for data analysis. The five proposed hypotheses were tested using Structural Equation Modeling (SEM) in IBM-SPSS-AMOS.
Main Findings: The results indicate that climate emergence factors have a positive and significant effect on employee intention to safety behavior. Furthermore, employee safety climate found to be the strongest predictor of employee intention to safety behavior, while other climate emergence factors do not have a direct effect on the intention of safety behavior. The model accounted for 76% of the variance in climate emergence in the context of intention to safety behavior.
Applications of this study: The results obtained from this study contribute to the improvement of proactive safety performance measures in the small-medium enterprise. However, further efforts are required to achieve the enhanced safety performance level
Novelty/Originality of this study: This study adds to the existing psychological literature on climate and employee safety behavior. This present study enhanced the climate-based construct by improving the safety performance measurement for small-medium enterprises.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- Nor Azma Rahlin, Zainudin Awang, Mohamad Zulkifli Abdul Rahim, Ayu Suriawaty Bahkia, THE IMPACT OF EMPLOYEE SAFETY CLIMATE ON SAFETY BEHAVIOR IN SMALL & MEDIUM ENTERPRISES: AN EMPIRICAL STUDY , Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews: Vol. 8 No. 3 (2020): May
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- Abdus Satta, A., & Aiza Hussain, R. (2012). Impact of Islamic work ethics (IWEs), reward system (RS), and organizational work environment (OWE) on citizenship behavior of employees (CBE). Science International (Lahore) Journal, 24(4), 513–519.
- Afthanorhan, A., Awang, Z., Rashid, N., Foziah, H., & Ghazali, P. (2019). Assessing the effects of service quality on customer satisfaction. Management Science Letters, 9(1), 13-24. https://doi.org/10.5267/j.msl.2018.11.004
- Alhyasat, K. M. K. (2012). The role of Islamic work ethics in developing organizational citizenship behavior at the Jordanian Press Foundations. Journal of Islamic Marketing, 3(2), 139–154. https://doi.org/10.1108/17590831211232555
- Aubrey C. Daniels. (2000). Behavior Is a Function of Its Consequences. In Bringing Out the Best in People. Sydney: McGraw-Hill Education.
- Asnawi, A., Awang, Z., Afthanorhan, A., Mohamad, M., & Karim, F. (2019). The influence of hospital image and service quality on patients’ satisfaction and loyalty. Management Science Letters, 9(6), 911-920. https://doi.org/10.5267/j.msl.2019.2.011
- Awang, Z. (2015). Introduction to SEM in AMOS. In SEM Made Simple: A gentle approach to learning the structural equation model (pp. 17–43). Bangi: MPWS Publisher.
- Awang, Z, Lim, SH., and Zainudin, NFS. (2018). Pendekatan Mudah SEM- Structural Equation Modelling. Bandar Baru Bangi, MPWS Rich Resources.
- Awang, Z., Rahlin, N. A., & Afthanorhan, A. (2019). A conceptual framework for the best practices of behavior-based safety performance evaluation in small and medium enterprises (SMEs). Journal of Applied Engineering Science, 17(4), 504–513. https://doi.org/10.5937/jaes17-19962
- Azjen. (2001). The theory of planned behavior: Organizational behavior and human decision processes. In Theories of Cognitive Self-Cognition (pp. 179– 211). ttps://doi.org/10.1016/0749-5978(91)90020-T
- Aziz, MI., Afthanorhan, A., and Awang, Z. (2016). The talent development model for a career in Islamic Banking Institutions: A SEM approach. Cogent Busines and Management 3(1), 1186259. https://doi.org/10.1080/23311975.2016.1186259
- Bahkia, A.S., Awang, Z., Afthanorhan, A., Ghazali, P.L., Foziah, H. (2019). Exploratory Factor Analysis on occupational stress in the context of Malaysian sewerage operations AIP Conference Proceedings. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5121111
- Brijs, K., Brijs, T., Sann, S., Trinh, T. A., Wets, G., & Ruiter, R. A. C. (2014). Psychological determinants of motorcycle helmet use among young adults in Cambodia. Transportation Research Part F: Traffic Psychology and Behaviour, 26, 273–290. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trf.2014.08.002
- Burke, M. J., Sarpy, S. A., Tesluk, P. E., & Crowe, S. K. (2002). General safety performance: A test of a grounded theoretical model. Personnel Psychology, 55, 429–457. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6570.2002.tb00116.x
- Burt, C. D., Williams, S., & Wallis, D. (2012). Recruit safety expectations: relationships with trust and perceived job risk. Saf. Sci., 50, 1079–1084. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssci.2011.11.019
- Cagno, E., Micheli, G. J. L., Masi, D., & Jacinto, C. (2013). An economic evaluation of OSH and its way to SMEs: A constructive review. Safety Science, 53, 134–152. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssci.2012.08.016
- Champahom, T., Jomnonkwao, S., Satiennam, T., Suesat, N., & Ratanavaraha, V. (2019). Modeling of safety helmet use intention among students in urban and rural Thailand based on the theory of planned behavior and Locus of Control. Social Science Journal. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soscij.2019.02.003
- Chee, H., Ramayah, T., & Subramaniam, C. (2018). The relationship between critical success factors, internal control, and safety performance in the Malaysian manufacturing sector. Safety Science, 104(January), 179–188. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssci.2018.01.002
- Chen, D., & Tian, H. (2012). Behavior-Based Safety for Accidents Prevention and Positive Study in China Construction Project. Procedia Engineering, 43, 528–534. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2012.08.092
- Choudhry, R. M. (2012). Implementation of BBS and the Impact of Site-Level Commitment. Journal of Professional Issues in Engineering Education and Practice, 138(4), 296–304. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)EI.1943-5541.0000111
- Choudhry, R. M. (2014). Behavior-based safety on construction sites: A case study. Accident Analysis and Prevention, 70, 14–23. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aap.2014.03.007
- Choudhry, R. M., & Fang, D. (2008). Why operatives engage in unsafe work behavior: Investigating factors on construction sites. Safety Science, 46(4), 566–584. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssci.2007.06.027
- Choudhry, R. M., Fang, D., & Mohamed, S. (2007). The nature of safety culture: A survey of the state-of-the-art. Safety Science, 45(10), 993–1012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssci.2006.09.003
- Clarke, S. (2010). An integrative model of safety climate: Linking psychological climate and work attitudes to individual safety outcomes using meta-analysis. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 83(3), 553–578. https://doi.org/10.1348/096317909X452122
- Cui, L., Fan, D., Fu, G., & Zhu, C. J. (2013). An integrative model of organizational safety behavior. Journal of Safety Research, 45, 37–46. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsr.2013.01.001
- DeJoy, D. M. (2005). Behavior change versus culture change: Divergent approaches to managing workplace safety. Safety Science, 43(2), 105–129. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssci.2005.02.001
- Elango, B., Paul, K., Kundu, S. K., & Paudel, S. K. (2010). Organizational ethics, individual ethics, and ethical intentions in international decision-making. Journal of Business Ethics, 97(4), 543–561. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-010-0524-z
- Fang, W., Love, P. E. D., Luo, H., & Ding, L. (2020). Computer vision for behavior-based safety in construction: A review and future directions. Advanced Engineering Informatics, 43(August 2019), 100980. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aei.2019.100980
- Farrukh, M., Butt, S., & Mansori, S. (2015). Innovation capability: The role of Islamic work ethics. Journal of Asian Business Strategy, 5(7), 125.
- Felix, R., & Almaguer, J. (2019). Nourish what you own : psychological ownership, materialism, and pro-environmental behavioral intentions. Journal of Consumer Marketing. https://doi.org/10.1108/JCM-10-2017-2417
- Floyde, A., Lawson, G., Shalloe, S., Eastgate, R., & D’Cruz, M. (2013). The design and implementation of knowledge management systems and e-learning for improved occupational health and safety in small to medium-sized enterprises. Safety Science, 60, 69–76. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssci.2013.06.012
- Fogarty, G. J., & Shaw, A. (2010). Safety climate and the theory of planned behavior: Towards the prediction of unsafe behavior. Accident Analysis and Prevention, 42, 1455–2459. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aap.2009.08.008
- Fugas, C. S., Silva, S. A., & Meliá, J. L. (2012). Another look at safety climate and safety behavior: Deepening the cognitive and social mediator mechanisms. Accident Analysis and Prevention, 45, 468–477. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aap.2011.08.013
- Griffin, M., & Neal, A. (2000). Perceptions of safety at work: A framework for linking safety climate to safety performance, knowledge, and motivation. Journal of Occupational Health Psychology, 5(3), 347–358. https://doi.org/10.1037/1076-89126.96.36.1997
- Guo, B. H. W., Goh, Y. M., & Wong, K. L. X. (2018). A system dynamics view of a behavior-based safety program in the construction industry. Safety Science, 104(September 2017), 202–215. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssci.2018.01.014
- Hsu, D. K. (2013). ‘ This is my venture !’ The effect of psychological ownership on the intention to reenter entrepreneurship. Journal of Small Business & Entrepreneurship, 26(4), 387–402. https://doi.org/10.1080/08276331.2013.821770
- Huang, Y. H., Robertson, M. M., Lee, J., Rineer, J., Murphy, L. A., Garabet, A., & Dainoff, M. J. (2014). Supervisory interpretation of safety climate versus employee safety climate perception: Association with safety behavior and outcomes for lone workers. Transportation Research Part F: Traffic Psychology and Behaviour, 26(PB), 348–360. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trf.2014.04.006
- Huyghebaert, T., Gillet, N., Lahiani, F. J., Dubois-Fleury, A., & Fouquereau, E. (2018). Psychological safety climate as a human resource development target: Effects on workers functioning through need satisfaction and thwarting. Advances in Developing Human Resources, 20(2), 169–181. https://doi.org/10.1177/1523422318756955
- Ian Glendon, A., McNally, B., Jarvis, A., Chalmers, S. L., & Salisbury, R. L. (2014). Evaluating a novice driver and pre-driver road safety intervention. Accident Analysis and Prevention, 64, 100–110. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aap.2013.11.017
- Khalid, M., Bashir, S., Khan, A. K., & Abbas, N. (2018). When and how abusive supervision leads to knowledge hiding behaviors: An Islamic work ethics perspective. Leadership and Organization Development Journal, 39(6), 794–806. https://doi.org/10.1108/LODJ-05-2017-0140
- Khan, A. K., & Moss, S. (2018). When and How Subordinate Performance Leads to Abusive Supervision : A Social Dominance Perspective, 44(7), 2801–2826. https://doi.org/10.1177/0149206316653930
- Kongtip, P., Yoosook, W., & Chantanakul, S. (2008). Occupational health and safety management in small and medium-sized enterprises: An overview of the situation in Thailand. Safety Science, 46(9), 1356–1368. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssci.2007.09.001
- Kumar, N., & Rose, R. C. (2010). Examining the link between Islamic work ethic and innovation capability. Journal of Management Development, 29(1), 79–93. https://doi.org/10.1108/02621711011009081
- Lee, C. J., & Beck, K. H. (2019). Mediational impact of perceived risk on drowsy driving intention and willingness in university students. Transportation Research Part F: Traffic Psychology and Behaviour, 63, 165–173. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trf.2019.04.008
- Lee, T.-Z., Wu, C.-H., & C.-W. Hong. (2007). An empirical investigation of the influence of safety climate on organizational citizenship behavior in Taiwan’s facilities. International Journal of Occupational Safety and Ergonomics (JOSE), 13(3), 255–269. https://doi.org/10.1080/10803548.2007.11076726
- Lee, W.-G., Jeon, Y.-H., Kim, J.-W., & Jung, C.-Y. (2014). Effects of Job Security and Psychological Ownership on Turnover Intention and Innovative Behavior of Manufacturing Employees. Journal of the Korea Safety Management and Science, 16(1), 53–68. https://doi.org/10.12812/ksms.2014.16.1.53
- Legg, S. J., Olsen, K. B., Laird, I. S., & Hasle, P. (2015). Managing safety in small and medium enterprises. Safety Science, 71(PC), 189–196. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssci.2014.11.007
- Li, H., Lu, M., Hsu, S. C., Gray, M., & Huang, T. (2015). Proactive behavior-based safety management for construction safety improvement. Safety Science, 75, 107–117. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssci.2015.01.013
- Liu, X., Huang, G., Huang, H., Wang, S., Xiao, Y., & Weiqing Chen. (2015). Safety climate, safety behavior, and worker injuries in the Chinese manufacturing industry. Safety Science, 78, 173–178. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssci.2015.04.023
- Lu, L., Liu, J., & Zhao, N. (2017). Why employees stay : the roles of psychological ownership, territoriality, and work relationship closeness in affecting employee turnover intention. Frontiers of Business Research in China, 10(11), 1–16. https://doi.org/10.1186/s11782-017-0010-x
- Ma, Q., & Yuan, J. (2009). An exploratory study on safety climate in Chinese manufacturing enterprises. Safety Science, 47(7), 1043–1046. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssci.2009.01.007
- Mahfouz., S., A., Awang., Z., & Muda., H. (2019). The Impact of Transformational Leadership on Employee Commitment in the Construction Industry. International Journal of Innovation, Creativity, and Change, 7(10)
- Mahmud, M., & Yusof, S. M. (2018). The influence of religiosity on safety behavior of workers: A Proposed Framework. Pertanika Journal of Social Sciences and Humanities, 26(1), 1–20.
- Masi, D., & Cagno, E. (2015). Barriers to OHS interventions in small and medium-sized enterprises. Safety Science, 71, 226–241. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssci.2014.05.020
- Masi, D., Cagno, E., Micheli, G. J. L., Cagno, E., & Micheli, G. J. L. (2015). Developing, Implementing, and Evaluating OSH Interventions in SMEs : A Pilot, Exploratory Study Developing, Implementing, and Evaluating OSH Interventions in SMEs : A Pilot, Exploratory Study. International Journal of Occupational Safety and Ergonomics, 20(385–405). https://doi.org/10.1080/10803548.2014.11077059
- McLain, D. L. (2014). Sensitivity to social information, social referencing, and safety attitudes in a hazardous occupation. Journal of Occupational Health Psychology, 19(4), 425–436. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0037126
- Mearns, K., Whitaker, S. M., & Flin, R. (2003). Safety climate, safety management practice, and safety performance in offshore environments. Safety Science, 41(8), 641–680. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0925-7535(02)00011-5
- Mullen, J., Kelloway, E. K., & Teed, M. (2017). Employer safety obligations, transformational leadership, and their interactive effects on employee safety performance. Safety Science, 91, 405–412. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssci.2016.09.007
- Nahrgang, J. D., Morgeson, F. P., & Hofmann, D. A. (2011). Safety at work: A meta-analytic investigation of the link between job demands, job resources, burnout, engagement, and safety outcomes. The Journal of Applied Psychology, 96(1), 71–94. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0021484
- Nguyen, D. T. N., Teo, S. T. T., Grover, S. L., & Nguyen, N. P. (2017). Psychological safety climate and workplace bullying in Vietnam’s public sector. Public Management Review, 00(00), 1–22. https://doi.org/10.1080/14719037.2016.1272712
- Nguyen, N. T., & Biderman, M. D. (2008). Studying ethical judgments and behavioral intentions using structural equations: Evidence from the multidimensional ethics scale. Journal of Business Ethics, 83(4), 627–640. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-007-9644-5
- Pierce, J. L., Kostova, T., & Dirks, K. T. (2001). Toward a theory of psychological ownership in organizations. Academy of Management Review, 26(2), 298–310. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.2001.4378028
- Pierce, J. L., Rubenfeld, S. A., & Morgan, S. (1991). Employee ownership: A conceptual model of process and effects. Academy of Management Review, 16(1), 121–144. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1991.4279000
- Rahlin, N.A., Awang, Z., Afthanorhan, A., & Aimran, N. (2019). Antecedents and Consequences of Employee Safety Climate in Small Manufacturing Enterprises: Translation, Validation, and Application of Generic Safety Climate Questionnaire. International Journal of Innovation, Creativity, and Change, 7(10).
- Rahlin, N.A., Awang, Z., Afthanorhan, A., & Aimran, N. (2019a). The Art of Covariance Based Confirmatory Factor Analysis: Evidence from SME’S. International Journal of Innovation, Creativity, and Change, 5(2), Special Edition.
- Rezaei, R., Mianaji, S., & Ganjloo, A. (2018). Factors affecting farmers’ intention to engage in on-farm food safety practices in Iran: Extending the theory of planned behavior. Journal of Rural Studies, 60(April), 152–166. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jrurstud.2018.04.005
- Schneider, B., & Barbera, K. M. (2014). The Oxford handbook of organizational climate and culture. Oxford University Press. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordhb/9780199860715.001.0001
- Shkeer, A.S., and Awang, Z. (2019). Exploring Items for Measuring Marketing Information System Construct: An Exploratory Factor analysis. International Review of Management and Marketing, 9(6), 87-97. https://doi.org/10.32479/irmm.8622
- Shkeer, A.S., and Awang, Z. (2019a). The Impact of Marketing Information System Components on Organizational Decision Making: A case of five-star hotels in Jordan. International Review of Management and Marketing, 9(6), 1-8. https://doi.org/10.32479/irmm.8622
- SME Corporation Malaysia. (2017a). Key Statistics on SMEs. In SME Annual Report 2016/2017 (pp. 8–9). Kuala Lumpur: SME Corporation Malaysia.
- SME Corporation Malaysia. (2017b). SME Developments and Outlook. In SME Annual Report 2016/2017 (pp. 14–34). Kuala Lumpur.
- Smith, T. D. (2017). An assessment of safety climate, job satisfaction, and turnover intention relationships using a national sample of workers from the USA. International Journal of Occupational Safety and Ergonomics, 3548(January 2017), 1–8. https://doi.org/10.1080/10803548.2016.1268446
- Talha, M., Sallehhuddin, A., Masoud, S., & Said, A. M. A. (2013). The relationship of ethical climate with intention and socially responsible investment behavior: A structural equation model analysis. African Journal of Business Management, 7(19), 1938.
- Tei-Tominaga, M., & Nakanishi, M. (2018). The influence of supportive and ethical work environments on work-related accidents, injuries, and serious psychological distress among hospital nurses. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 15(2), 1–13. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph15020240
- Tremblay, A., & Badri, A. (2018a). A novel tool for evaluating occupational health and safety performance in small and medium-sized enterprises : The case of the Quebec forestry/pulp and paper industry. Safety Science, 101(August 2017), 282–294. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssci.2017.09.017
- Tremblay, A., & Badri, A. (2018b). Assessment of occupational health and safety performance evaluation tools: State of the art and challenges for small and medium-sized enterprises. Safety Science, 101(May 2017), 260–267. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssci.2017.09.016
- Unnikrishnan, S., Iqbal, R., Singh, A., & Nimkar, I. M. (2015). Safety management practices in small and medium enterprises in India. Safety and Health at Work, 6(1), 46–55. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.shaw.2014.10.006
- Uryan, Y. (2010). Organizational safety culture and individual safety behavior: A case study of the Turkish National Police Aviation Department. The University of Central Florida.
- Van Dyne, L., & Pierce, J. L. (2004). Psychological ownership and feelings of possession: Three field studies predicting employee attitudes and organizational citizenship behavior. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 25(4), 439–459. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.249
- Wong, D. B., & Lee, S. G. (2016). Modeling the predictors of intention in workplace safety compliance of a multi-ethnic workforce. Safety Science, 88, 155–165. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssci.2016.05.003
- Yousef, D. (2000). Organizational commitment as a mediator of the relationship between Islamic work ethic and attitudes toward organizational change. Human Relations, 53(4), 513–537. https://doi.org/10.1177/0018726700534003
- Yousef, D. (2001). Islamic work ethic – A moderator between organizational commitment and job satisfaction in a cross‐cultural context. Personnel Review, 30(2), 152–169. https://doi.org/10.1108/00483480110380325
- Yusof, Y., Awang, Z., Jusoff, K., & Ibrahim, Y. (2017). The influence of green practices by non-green hotels on customer satisfaction and loyalty in the hotel and tourism industry. International Journal of Green Economics, 11(1), 1-14. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJGE.2017.082716
- Zhang, Y., Fang, Y., Wei, K. K., & Chen, H. (2010). Exploring the role of psychological safety in promoting the intention to continue sharing knowledge in virtual communities. International Journal of Information Management, 30(5), 425–436. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijinfomgt.2010.02.003
- Zhou, L., Liu, Y., Chen, Z., & Zhao, S. (2018). Psychological mechanisms linking ethical climate to employee whistle-blowing intention. Journal of Managerial Psychology, 33(2), 196–213. https://doi.org/10.1108/JMP-09-2017-0292
- Zhou, Q., Fang, D., & Wang, X. (2008). A method to identify strategies for the improvement of human safety behavior by considering safety climate and personal experience. Safety Science, 46(10), 1406–1419. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssci.2007.10.005
- Zohar, D. (1980). Safety climate in industrial organizations: Theoretical and applied implications. The Journal of Applied Psychology, 65(1), 96–102. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.65.1.96
- Zohar, D. (2008). Safety climate and beyond: A multi-level multi-climate framework. Safety Science, 46(3), 376–387. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssci.2007.03.006
- Zohar, D. (2010). Thirty years of safety climate research: Reflections and future directions. Accident Analysis and Prevention, 42(5), 1517–1522. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aap.2009.12.019
- Zohar, D., Huang, Y., Lee, J., & Robertson, M. (2014). A mediation model linking dispatcher leadership and work ownership with safety climate as predictors of truck driver safety performance. Accident Analysis and Prevention, 62, 17–25. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aap.2013.09.005