ANALYSIS OF FACTORS THAT AFFECT EMPLOYABILITY AND ITS IMPLICATIONS
Corresponding Author(s) : Fatwa Tentama
Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews,
Vol. 8 No. 3 (2020): May
Purpose: This study aimed to empirically examine the role of entrepreneur intention and responsibility on the employability of students who attend State Vocational High School 1 Kalasan Yogyakarta, Indonesia.
Methodology: The subjects in this study were students of class XII of State Vocational High School 1 Kalasan Yogyakarta, Indonesia, which amounted to 225 students. The sampling technique was obtained by cluster random sampling. Methods of collecting data used are employability scale, entrepreneurial intention scale, and responsibility scale. The data analysis used in this study is multiple linear regression analysis techniques.
Main Findings: The results showed that there was 1) a very significant correlation between entrepreneur intention and responsibility simultaneously on employability with R = 0.608, p = 0.000 (p<0.01). 2) a very significant correlation between entrepreneurial intention and employability with r = 0.171, p = 0.005 (p<0.01). 3) a very significant correlation between responsibility and employability with r = 0.603, p = 0.000 (p<0.01).
Applications of this study: This study shows that entrepreneur intention and responsibility has an important role in preparing students to get the knowledge and skills needed to get a job, and then applied in the workplace when graduates have worked. This results study also can throw light on strategies to be adopted to enhance employability in students of Vocational High School. It can also be used as a reference to prepare an entrepreneur's intention and responsibility skill training module to improve employability.
Novelty: To the best of our knowledge, psychology research about entrepreneur intention, responsibility, and employability of State Vocational High School students is still rarely done both in Indonesia and abroad. This study focuses on the employability of State Vocational High School students. Previous studies only discussed limited employability for undergraduate and employee graduates, while in this study in vocational high school students.
- Benabou, R., & Tirole, J. (2002). Self-confidence and personal motivation. The Quarterly Journal of Economics, 117(3), 871–915. https://doi.org/10.1162/003355302760193913.
- Berntson, E., & Marklund, S. (2007). The relationship between perceived employability and subsequent health. Work & Stress, 21(3), 279-292. https://doi.org/10.1080/02678370701659215.
- Brewer, L. (2013). Enhancing youth employability: What? Why? And How? Guide to core work skills. Geneva: International Labour Organization.
- Central Bureau of Statistics. (2018). Open unemployment according to the highest education completed in 1986-2018 (in Indonesia). Retrieved From https://www.bps.go.id/statictable/2009/04/16/972/pengangguran-terbuka-menurut-pendidikan-tertinggi-yang-ditamatkan-1986---2018.html
- Cassidy, S. (2006). Developing employability skills: Peer assessment in higher education. Education + training, 48(7), 508-517. https://doi.org/10.1108/00400910610705890.
- Clarken, R. H. (2010). Considering moral intelligence as part of holistic education. Moral Intelligence, 1-9.
- Coetzee, M., & Roythorne-Jacobs, H. (2007). Career counseling and guidance in the workplace: A manual for career practitioners. Cape Town: Juta and Company Ltd.
- Cotton, K. (2001). Developing employability skills. Portland: Northwest Regional Educational Research Laboratory.
- Dacre Pool, L., & Sewell, P. (2007). The key to employability: Developing a practical model of graduate employability. Education Training, 49(4), 277–289. https://doi.org/10.1108/00400910710754435.
- De Cuyper, N., Bernhard-Oettel, C., Bernston, E., De Witte, H., & Alarco, B. (2008). Employability and employees’ well-being: Mediation by job insecurity. Applied Psychology, 57(3), 488–509. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1464-0597.2008.00332.x.
- De Vos, A., De Hauw, S., & Van der Heijden, B. I. (2011). Competency development and career success: The mediating role of employability. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 79(2), 438-447. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvb.2011.05.010.
- Dell, M. S. (2008). An investigation of undergraduate student self-employment intention and the impact of entrepreneurship education and previous entrepreneurial experience. (Thesis). School of Business University Australia. Sydney.
- Dohse, D., & Walter, S. G. (2010). The role of entrepreneurship education and regional context in forming entrepreneurial intentions. Document de Treball de l'IEB, 1-35.
- Ferreira, N., Basson, J., & Coetzee, M. (2010). Psychological career resources concerning organizational commitment: An exploratory study. SA Journal of Human Resource Management, 8(1), 1-10.
- Forrier, A., & Sels, L. (2003). The concept employability: A complex mosaic. International Journal of Human Resources Development and Management, 3(2), 102-124.
- Fugate, M., & Kinicki, A. J. (2008). A dispositional approach to employability: Development of a measure and test of implications for employee reactions to organizational change. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 81(3), 503-527. https://doi.org/10.1348/096317907X241579.
- Fugate, M., Kinicki, A. J., & Ashforth, B. E. (2004). Employability: A psycho-social construct, its dimensions, and applications. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 65(1), 14-38. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvb.2003.10.005.
- Gu, H., Kavanaugh, R. R., & Cong, Y. (2007). Empirical studies of tourism education in China. Journal of Teaching in Travel & Tourism, 7(1), 3-24. https://doi.org/10.1300/J172v07n01_02.
- Hall, D. T., & Chandler, D. E. (2005). Psychological success: When a career is a calling. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 26(2), 155-176. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.301.
- Halvorsen, A. L., Lee, V. E., & Andrade, F. H. (2009). A mixed-method study of teachers' attitudes about teaching in urban and low-income schools. Urban Education, 44(2), 181-224. https://doi.org/10.1177/0042085908318696.
- Herr, E., Cramer, S., & Niles, S. (2004). Career guidance and counseling through the lifespan. London: Prentice-Hall.
- Hess, N., Jepsen, D. M., & Dries, N. (2012). Career and employer change in the age of the ‘boundaryless’ career. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 81(2), 280-288. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvb.2011.10.009.
- Hodzic, S., Ripoll, P., Lira, E., & Zenasni, F. (2015). Can intervention in emotional competencies increase the employability prospects of unemployed adults?. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 88, 28-37. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvb.2015.02.007.
- Jackson, D., & Chapman, E. (2012). Non-technical skill gaps in Australian business graduates. Education+ Training, 54(2/3), 95-113. https://doi.org/10.1108/00400911211210224.
- Koe, W. L., Sa’ari, J. R., Majid, I. A., & Ismail, K. (2012). Determinants of entrepreneurial intention among the millennial generation. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 40, 197-208. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2012.03.181.
- Krueger, N. F. (2007). What lies beneath? The experiential essence of entrepreneurial thinking. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 31(1), 123-138. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6520.2007.00166.x.
- Lauermann, F., & Karabenick, S. A. (2011). Taking teacher responsibility into account (ability): Explicating its multiple components and theoretical status. Educational Psychologist, 46(2), 122-140. https://doi.org/10.1080/00461520.2011.558818.
- Mahmud, Z., Ibrahim, H., Amat, S., & Salleh, A. (2011). Family communication, sibling position, and adolescents' sense of responsibility. World Applied Sciences Journal, 14, 74-80.
- McArdle, S., Waters, L., Briscoe, J. P., & Hall, D. T. (2007). Employability during unemployment: Adaptability, career identity, and human and social capital. Journal of vocational behavior, 71(2), 247-264. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvb.2007.06.003.
- McQuaid, R. W., & Lindsay, C. (2005). The concept of employability. Urban Studies, 42(2), 197-219. https://doi.org/10.1080/0042098042000316100.
- Nauta, A., Van Vianen, A., Van der Heijden, B., Van Dam, K., & Willemsen, M. (2009). Understanding the factors that promote employability orientation: The impact of employability culture, career satisfaction, and role breadth self‐efficacy. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 82(2), 233-251. https://doi.org/10.1348/096317908X320147.
- Pittaway, L., & Cope, J. (2007). Entrepreneurship education: A systematic review of the evidence. International Small Business Journal, 25(5), 479-510. https://doi.org/10.1177/0266242607080656.
- Ronnås, P., & Shamchiyeva, L. (2011). Employment diagnostic analysis: Maluku, Indonesia. Geneva: International Labour Organization.
- Schwarz, E. J., Wdowiak, M. A., Almer-Jarz, D. A., & Breitenecker, R. J. (2009). The effects of attitudes and perceived environment conditions on students' entrepreneurial intent: An Austrian perspective. Education + Training, 51(4), 272-291. https://doi.org/10.1108/00400910910964566.
- Thompson, E. R. (2009). Individual entrepreneurial intent: Construct clarification and development of an internationally reliable metric. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 33(3), 669-694. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6520.2009.00321.x.
- Van Dam, K. (2004). Antecedents and consequences of employability orientation. European Journal of Work and Organizational Psychology, 13(1), 29-51. https://doi.org/10.1080/13594320344000237.
- Van der Heijde, C. M., & Van der Heijden, B. (2005). The development and psychometric evaluation of a multi-dimensional measurement instrument of employability and the impact of aging. International Congress Series, 1280, 142–147. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ics.2005.02.061.
- Van der Heijden, C, & Van der Heijden, B (2006). A competence‐based and multidimensional operationalization and measurement of employability. Human Resource Management, 45(3), 449-476. https://doi.org/10.1002/hrm.20119.
- Van Gelderen, M., Brand, M., Van Praag, M., Bodewes, W., Poutsma, E., & Van Gils, A. (2008). Explaining entrepreneurial intentions utilizing the theory of planned behavior. Career Development International, 13(6), 538-559. https://doi.org/10.1108/13620430810901688.
- Vieira, F. D., & Rodrigues, C. S. (2012). Entrepreneurial intentions of engineering students. Academic Conferences and Publishing International, 1-9.
- Wang, Y. F. & Tsai, C. T. (2014). Employability of hospitality graduates: Student and industry perspectives. Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Education, 26(3), 125-135. https://doi.org/10.1080/10963758.2014.935221.
- Yamamoto, S., Ito, K., Ohnishi, S., & Nishida, S. (2010). A method for expressing responsible opinions toward public decisions making. International Conference on Industrial Informatics, 287-292. https://doi.org/10.1109/INDIN.2010.5549410.
- Yorke, M., & Knight, P. (2007). Evidence-informed pedagogy and the enhancement of student employability. Teaching in Higher Education, 12(2), 157–170. https://doi.org/10.1080/13562510701191877.
- Zhang, G., Cheng, P., Fan, L., & Chu, Z. (2012). An empirical study on the impact of college carve-out education on entrepreneur intention. Higher Education of Social Science, 2(2), 12-16. http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.2034168.