THE PRINCIPAL’S INSTRUCTIONAL LEADERSHIP ABILITY IN STRENGTHENING THE CHARACTER OF JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS OF MUHAMMADIYAH
Corresponding Author(s) : Fitriah M. Suud
Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews,
Vol. 8 No. 3 (2020): May
Purpose of the study: This study aims to determine the ability of the principal in carrying out Instructional Leadership to improve teachers' teaching performance so that it has an impact on improving the character of students.
Methodology: The type of this research is evaluative descriptive. The subjects selected by purposive sampling and triadic included 15 principals, 150 teachers, and 450 students in Yogyakarta. The data collection techniques using observation, interviews, questionnaires, and documentation. The data analysis techniques using mixed methods. The quantitative data were analyzed using descriptive statistics and linear regression. In contrast, the qualitative data were analyzed using Miler and Huberman's theory, which included four stages: reduction, display, triangulation, and conclusion.
Main Findings: First, mild juvenile delinquency is still practiced by students. Secondly, character strengthening is done through an extracurricular program, orderly book socialization, cooperation with external parties. Third, the instructional leadership ability of principals is still low. Fourth, the magnitude of the influence of Instructional Leadership in changing students' characters obtained a percentage of 12%, while other factors influence 78 %; and the inhibiting factor for instructional leadership of school principals is the lack of collaboration between schools and parents.
Applications of this study: The results of this study can provide significant benefits in the discipline of character education and educational psychology. The school leaders can use the findings in this study to tackle juvenile delinquency in junior high school.
Novelty/Originality of this study: It turns out that to reduce and eliminate juvenile delinquency is not enough just with Instructional Leadership. The most significant factor that can help minimize adolescent familiarization is the existence of good cooperation between parents and teachers or the school.
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- Arifin, I. (2017). Kepemimpinan pembelajaran kepala sekolah dalam menerapkan pendidikan karakter pada era masyarakat ekonomi asean.
- Bafadal, I. (2016). Peningkatan Mutu Pendidikan Melalui Kepemimpinan Pembelajaran. Materi Talk Show.
- Baidarus, B., Hamami, T., Suud, F. M., & Rahmatullah, A. S. (2020). Al-Islam dankemuhammadiyahansebagai basis pendidikan karakter. AL-ASASIYYA: Journal Of Basic Education, 4(1), 71–91. https://doi.org/10.24269/ajbe.v4i1.2101
- Carmen Montecinos, Tony Bush, FelipeAravena (2018). Moving the school forward: Problems reported by novice and experienced principals during a succession process in Chile. International Journal of Educational Development, Volume 62, (2018). Pages 201-208, ISSN 0738-0593.
- Chris Brown, Jane Flood (2020). The three roles of school leaders in maximizing the impact of Professional Learning Networks: A case study from England. International Journal of Educational Research, Volume 99, 101516, ISSN 0883-0355. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijedudev.2018.04.004
- Daniëls, E., Hondeghem, A., &Dochy, F. (2019). A review of leadership and leadership development in educational settings. Educational Research Review. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.edurev.2019.02.003
- Davis, G.A., & Thomas, M.A. (1989). Effective Schools and Effective Teachers. Boston: Allyn and Bacon.
- De Roche, E.F. (1987). An Administrator’s Guide for Evaluating Programs and Personnel: An Effective Schools Approach. Boston: Allyn and Bacon, Inc.
- Gorton, R.A., & Schneider, G.T. (1991). Schools-Based Leadership: Challenges and Opportunities. Dubuque, Iowa: WimC.Brown Company Publisher.
- Greenfield, W.D. (1987). Instructional Leadership: Concepts, Issue, and Controversies. Boston: Allyn and Bacon.
- Hallinger, P., &Leithwood, K. (1994). Introduction: Exploring the Impact on Principal Leadership. School Effectiveness and School Improvement: An International Journal of Research, Policy, and Practice. September, 5(3): 206—218. https://doi.org/10.1080/0924345940050301
- Heck, R.H.; Larsen, T.J.,& Marcoulides, G.A. (1990). Instructional Leadership and School Achievement: Validation of a Causal Model. Educational Administration Quarterly, 26(2): 94-125. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijer.2019.101516
- B.Mitchel&L.L.Cuningham(Eds). Educational Leadership and changing Contacts of families, Comonites, and Schools. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Irene Korstjens, Jessica Mesman, Isabel van Helmond, Raymond de Vries, Marianne Nieuwenhuijze (2020). The paradoxes of communication and collaboration in maternity care: A video-reflexivity study with professionals and parents, Women and Birth. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wombi.2020.01.014
- Jean-Baptiste M.B. Sanfo (2020). A three-level hierarchical linear model analysis of the effect of school principals’ factors on primary school students’ learning achievements in Burkina Faso, International Journal of Educational Research, Volume 100. 101531. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijer.2020.101531
- Kemendiknas. (2007). Permendiknas No. 13 Tahun 2007 tentangStandarKepalaSekolah/Madrasah. Jakarta: Diknas.
- Khilmiyah. Akif (2017). Evaluasi Kompetensi Kepemimpinan Kepala Sekolah Muhammadiyah. Yogyakarta: LP3M UMY
- Kleine-Kracht, S.P. (1993). Indirect Instructional Leadership: An Administrator’s Choice. Educational Administration Quarterly, 29(2): 187-212. https://doi.org/10.1177/0013161X93029002005
- Kusmintardjo. (2003). Kepemimpinan Pembelajaran Kepala Sekolah dalam Meningkatkan Kinerja Guru. DisertasiTidakDiterbitkan. Malang: PPS UM.
- Lickona, T. (2004). Character Matters. New York: Touchstone Rockefeller Center.Malang: UIN Maliki Press.
- Mulyadi. (2010). KepemimpinanKepalaSekolahdalamMengembangkanBudayaMutu.
- Murfpy. J (1990). Preparing school Administrators for the twenty-first century: The reform agenda Noelle A. Paufler, Edward F. Sloat, Using standards to evaluate accountability policy in context: School administrator and teacher perceptions of a teacher evaluation system, Studies in Educational Evaluation, Volume 64, (2020), 100806, ISSN 0191-491X, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.stueduc.2019.07.007
- Orven E. Llantos, Maria Regina Justina E. Estuar(2019). Characterizing Instructional Leader Interactions in a Social Learning Management System using Social Network Analysis, Procedia Computer Science, Volume 160, , Pages 149-156, ISSN 1877-0509. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procs.2019.09.455
- Paula San-Martín, Ana Fernández-Laviada, Andrea Pérez, EstefaníaPalazuelos(2019). The teacher of entrepreneurship as a role model: Students' and teachers’ perceptions, The International Journal of Management Education, , 100358, ISSN 1472-8117, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijme.2019.100358
- Rossow. L.F. (1990). The Principalship: Dimensions in Instructional Leadership. Boston: Allyn and Bacon.
- Smith W.F., & Andrews, R.L. (1989). Instructional Leadership: How Principals Make A Difference. Washington, DC: ASCD Publications.
- Suud, F. M., &Madjid, A. (2019). The Study Of Educational Honesty Stages Implementation In An Indonesian School. Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews, 7(4), 502-510. https://doi.org/10.18510/hssr.2019.7467
- Suud, F. M. (2018). KepemimpinanTransformasionaldanImplikasinyapadaPembentukanBudayaJujur di Sekolah. Sukma: JurnalPendidikan, 2(2), 261–286. https://doi.org/10.32533/02206.2018
- Ubben, G.C., & Hughes, L.W. (1992). The Principal: Creative Leadership for Effective Schools. Boston: Allyn and Bacon.