BENEFITS AND CHALLENGES OF CLOUD COMPUTING IN PRODUCTION AND SERVICE SECTOR IN IZMIR, THE CITY OF TURKEY
Corresponding Author(s) : Can Sayginer
Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews,
Vol. 8 No. 3 (2020): May
Purpose of the study: This research aims to understand the benefits and challenges of cloud and non-cloud adopter companies of production and service sectors on cloud computing and making recommendations based on companies’ perceptions of the issue in Izmir, Turkey.
Methodology: This is a descriptive survey of businesses, forming a questionnaire for 99 companies in the service sector and 66 companies in the production sector to non-cloud or cloud user businesses in the city of Izmir in Turkey. SPSS 26.0 software is used to analyze the perceived benefits and challenges of cloud computing.
Main Findings: The descriptive analysis results show that increasing productivity in business processes and working collaboratively from remote are the most important perceived benefits of adopting cloud computing in the production sector and service sector, respectively. On the other hand, business processes adoption issues and concerns about security are the significant perceived challenges and barriers of cloud computing adoption, respectively.
Applications of this study: The study is useful for governments to understand the critical points of cloud computing and is believed to give governments the ability to prepare an appropriate environment for businesses. Cloud providers and companies also take a position to contribute to this environment by creating new I.T. products and purchasing these I.T. products conforming to their I.T. needs, respectively.
Novelty/Originality of this study: This research provides companies in Izmir with a guide for the adoption considering the appropriate cloud computing deployment models such as public cloud, private cloud, community cloud and hybrid cloud for certain types of applications such as software as a service (SaaS), platform as a service(PaaS) and Infrastructure as a service (IaaS) for developing countries.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- Can Sayginer, Tuncay Ercan, UNDERSTANDING DETERMINANTS OF CLOUD COMPUTING ADOPTION USING AN INTEGRATED DIFFUSION OF INNOVATION (DOI)-TECHNOLOGICAL, ORGANIZATIONAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL (TOE) MODEL , Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews: Vol. 8 No. 1 (2020): January
- Abdollahzadegan, A., Hussin, C., Razak, A., MoshfeghGohary, M., &Amini, M. (2013). The organizational critical success factors for adopting cloud computing in SMEs. Journal of Information Systems Research and Innovation (JISRI), 4(1), 67-74.
- Alhammadi, A.(2016). A knowledge management based cloud computing adoption making framework, PhD Dissertation, Staffordshire University, 299 p., http://eprints.staffs.ac.uk/2380/1/Alham madi_PhD%20thesis.pdf. Accessed 15 December 2019.
- Akar,E., &Mardikyan S. (2016). Analyzing factors affecting the adoption of cloud computing: A case of Turkey. KSII Transactions on Internet and Information Systems, (10)1,18-37 Accessed 15 December 2019. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/292695394_Analyzing_Factors_Affecting_the_Adoption_of_Cloud_Computing_A_Case_of_Turkey
- Alhammadi, A., Stainer, C., & Eardley, A. (2015). The determinants of cloud computing adoption in Saudi Arabia. Second International Conference on ComputerScience&Engineering, 70, 55-57. https://doi.org/10.5121/csit.2015.51406
- Alharbi, F., Atkins, A., & Stanier, C. (2016). Understanding the determinants of cloud computing adoption in Saudi healthcare organisations. Complex & Intelligent Systems, 2(3), 155–171. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40747-016-0021-9
- Altobishi, T., Podruzsik, S., & Gabor, S.Z. (2018). A review of the security challenges in the cloud computing. Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Research in Science and Technology, Munich. October 19-21, 2018. 30-38. https://www.doi.org/10.33422/8RST.2018.11.38
- Armbrust, M., Fox, A., Griffith, R., Joseph, A. D., Katz, R., Konwinski, A., Lee, G., Patterson, D., Rapkin, A., Stoica, I., & Zahaira, M. (2009). Above the clouds: A Berkeley view of cloud computing. Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences University of California at Berkeley, Technical Report No. UCB/EECS-2009-28.http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/Pubs/TechRpts/2009/EECS-2009-28.pdf. Accessed 10 November 2019.
- Astri, L. Y. (2015). A study literature of critical success factors of cloud computing in organizations. Procedia Computer Science, 59, 188-194.
- Avram, M. G. (2014). Advantages and challenges of adopting cloud computing from an enterprise perspective. Procedia Technology, 12, 529–534. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.protcy.2013.12.525
- Bento, A., & Bento, R. (2011). Cloud computing: A new phase in information technology management. Journal of Information Technology Management, XXII (1), 39-46. https://www.researchgate.net/publicat ion/267232982_Journal_of_Information_Technology_Management_CLOUD_COMPUTING_A_NEW_PHASE_IN_INFORMATION_TECHNOLOGY_MANAGEMENTAccessed 12 November 2019.
- Brynjolfsson, E., Hofmann, P., & Jordan, J. (2010). Cloud computing and electricity: beyond the utility model. Communications of the ACM, 53(5), 32. https://doi.org/10.1145/1735223.1735234
- Coppolino, L., D’Antonio, S., Mazzeo, G., & Romano, L. (2017). Cloud security: Emerging threats and current solutions. Computers and Electrical Engineering, 59, 126–140. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compe leceng.2016.03.004
- Creeger, M. (2009) ‘CTO Roundtable - ACM Queue’, Communications of the ACM, 52(8), pp. 1–7.
- Cusumano, M. (2010). Cloud computing and SaaS as new computing platforms. Communications of the ACM, 53(4), 27–29. https://doi.org/10.1145/1721654.1721667
- Deloitte (2019). Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) 2018 Tubisad Market Data. http://www.tubisad.org.tr/en/images/pdf/tubisad_ict_2019_final_eng_20190521_1040.pdfAccessed 01 December 2019
- Dhawan, G. (2017). Conceptualization of cloud computing and its security threats, challenges, technologies and application. International Journal for Research in Applied Science and Engineering Technology, 5(IV), 629–635. https://doi.org/10.22214/ijraset.2017.4112
- Domun, V., & Bheemul, H. (2019). Factors affecting the adoption of cloud computing among SMEs in Mauritius. In: Satapathy S., Bhateja V., Somanah R., Yang XS., Senkerik R. (eds) Information Systems Design and Intelligent Applications. Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing, 862, 333-336. Springer, Singapore.https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-13-3329-3_31
- El-Gazzar, R. F. (2015). A literature review on cloud computing adoption issues in enterprises," in: Creating value for all through I.T. Proceedings of IFIP WG 8.6 International Conference on Transfer and Diffusion of I.T., TDIT 2014, Aalborg, Denmark, June 2-4, 2014.Springer, BirgittaBergvall-K˚areborn; Peter Axel Nielsen (eds), IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology, AICT-429,214-242.https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-662-43459-8_14Accessed 01 December 2019
- El-Gazzar, R., & Wahid, F. (2015). Strategies for cloud computing adoption: Insights from the Norwegian public sector. Proceeding of European, Mediterranean & Middle Eaestern Conference on Information Systems - EMOIS, June 1–15, 2015, Athens, Greece. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/27 9287497_Strategies_for_Cloud_Computing_Adoption_Insights_from_the_Norwegian_Public_SectorAccessed 12 November 2019
- Erdogmus, H. (2009). Cloud computing: Does nirvana hide behind the Nebula?. IEEE Software (26:2), pp 4-6.
- Etro, F. (2009). The economic impact of cloud computing on business creation, employment and output in Europe - An application of the Endogenous market structures approach to a GPT innovation. Review of Business and Economics,2, 179–209. https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/c72f/35131bec4456272dd9 854a892fd48b645ff6.pdf?_ga=2.100784513.105181449.1579289119-478865811.1560331546 Accessed 01 December 2019.
- Eweoya, I., & Daramola, O. (2015). A systematic literature review of mobile cloud computing.International Journal of Multimedia and Ubiquitous Engineering,10(12), 135–152. https://doi.org/10.142 57/ijmue.2015.10.12.15
- Furrier, J. (2017). How Andy Jassy Plans To Keep Amazon Web Services On Top Of The Cloud. Forbes. https://www.forbes.com/sites/siliconangle/2017/11/27/exclusive-how-andy-jassy-plans-to-keep-amazon-web-services-on-top-of-the-cloud/#7dc2ea6d2f70Accessed 01 December 2019.
- Gallaugher, J., &Ransbotham, S. (2010). Preparing for the future: understanding the seven capabilities of cloud computing. MIS Quarterly Executive, 9(4), 197-212.
- Garrison, G., Wakefield, R. L. and Kim, S. (2015). The effects of I.T. capabilities and delivery model on cloud computing success and firm performance for cloud supported processes and operations. International Journal of Information Management. Elsevier Ltd, 35(4), 377–393. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijinfomgt.2015.03.001.
- Greenberg, A., Hamilton, J., Maltz D.A., & Patel, P. (2009). The cost of a cloud : Research problems in data center networks. ACM SIGCOMM Computer Communication Review, 39(1), 68–73. https://doi.org/10.1145/1496091.1496103
- Haug, K.,C., Kretschmer T., & Strobel T. (2016). Cloud adaptiveness within industry sectors- measurement and observations. Telecommunications Policy,291-306.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.telpol.2015.08.003
- Hernández, I., Sawicki, S., Roos-Frantz, F., & Frantz, R. Z. (2015). Cloud configuration modelling: A literature review from an application integration deployment perspective. Procedia Computer Science, 64, 977–983. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procs.2015.08.616
- Hiran, K. K., Henten, A., Shrivas, M. K., & Doshi, R. (2018). Hybrid educloud model in higher education: The case of sub-saharan africa, Ethiopia. IEEE International Conference on Adaptive Science and Technology, ICAST, August 22-14, 2018, Ghana-West Africa. 1–9. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICASTECH.2018.8507113
- Hoberg, P., Wollersheim, J. and Krcmar, H. (2012), The business perspective on cloud computing – a literature review of research on cloud computing, Proceedings of the 18th American Conference on Information Systems (AMCIS), Seattle, WA, August 9-11.
- Ibrahimi, A. (2017). Cloud computing: Pricing model. International Journal of Advanced Computer Science and Applications,8(6), 434–441. https://doi.org/10.14569/ijacsa.2017.080658
- Iyer, B., & Henderson, J. C. (2010). Preparing for the future: Understanding the seven capabilities of cloud computing. University of Minnesota MIS Quarterly Executive, 9(2), 117-131. https://www.semanticscho ar.org/paper/Preparing-for-the-Future%3A-Understanding-the-Seven-Iyer-Henderson/b8755254afaeb761aa4dae12773a47ff73f61c7e Accessed 01 December 2019
- Jones, S. (2015). Cloud computing procurement and implementation: Lessons learnt from a United Kingdom case study, International Journal of Information Management, 35(6), pp. 712–716. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0268401215000699. Accessed 1 December 2019
- Karkonasasi, K., Baharudin, A.S., Esparham, B., & Mousavi, S.A., (2016). Adoption of cloud computing among enterprises in Malaysia. Indian Journal of Science and Technology, 9(48), 1-7, https://doi.org/10.17485/ijst/2016/v9i48/88128
- Khajeh-Hosseini, A., Sommerville, I., & Sriram, I. (2010). Research challenges for enterprise cloud computing. https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1001/1001.3257.pdfAccessed 10 December 2019
- Khan, N., & Al-Yasiri, A. (2016). Identifying cloud security threats to strengthen cloud computing adoption framework. Procedia Computer Science, 94, 485–490. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procs.2016.08.075
- Kulkarni, G., Chavan, N., Chandorkar, R., Waghmare, R., & Palwe, R. (2012). Cloud security challenges. 7th International Conference on Telecommunication Systems, Services, and Applications, TSSA 2012, October, 30-3.2012, Bali, Indonesia, 88–91. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSSA.2012.6366028
- Kumar, D., Samalia, H., V., Verma, P. & Singh, H. (2013). Stumbling blocks in cloud computing adoption pathway: A charter. Computer Technology and Application, 635-642. https://www.researchgate.n et/publication/301227927_Stumbling_Blocks_in_Cloud_Computing_Adoption_Pathway_A_Charter/references Accessed 10 December 2019
- Kyriakou, N., Maragoudakis, M., Loukis, E., & Themistocleous, M. (2017). Prediction of propensity for enterprise cloud computing adoption. Proceedings of the 50th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, January 4-7, 2017, 4907-4916. https://doi.org/10.24251/hicss.2017.596
- Leimeister, S., Riedl, C., Böhm, M., & Krcmar, H. (2010). The business perspective of cloud computing: Actors, roles, and value networks. Proceedings of the 18th European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS), South Africa, June 7-9, 2010, 1–12. https://aisel.aisnet.org/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1082&context=ecis2010Accessed 10 December 2019
- Lele, A. (2019). Cloud computing. in: Disruptive technologies for the militaries and security, smart innovation, systems and technologies, Editors. R.J. Howlett, L.C. Kain, vol 132, 167-185. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-13-3384-2_10
- Loukis, E. & Kyriakou, N. (2015). Cloud computing adoption motivation in the European north and south. Proceedings of the 9th Mediterranean Conference on Information Systems (MCIS), .26, 1-12. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/282851058_Cloud_Computing_Adoption_Motivation_in_the_European_North_and_South Accessed 11 December 2019
- Lum, C. (2016). 4 Things Steve Jobs Taught Us About Cloud Computing. Wisenet. https://www.wisenet.co/blog/4-things-steve-jobs-quotes-taught-us-about-cloud-computingAccessed 5 December 2019
- Marston, S., Li, Z., Bandyopadhyay, S., Zhang, J., & Ghalsasi, A. (2011). Cloud computing — The business perspective. Decision Support Systems, 51(1), 176–189. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dss.2010.12.006
- Mas’adeh, R. (2016). Cloud computing perceived importance in the Middle Eastern firms: The cases of Jordan, Saudi Arabia and United Arab Emirates from the operational level. Communications and Network, 8(3), 103-117. https://doi.org/10.4236/cn.2016.83011
- Masrom, M. & Rahimli, A. (2014). A review of cloud computing technology solution for healthcare system. Research Journal of Applied Sciences, Engineering and Technology, 8(20), 2150-2153. https://doi.org/10.19026/rjaset.8.1212
- Mazrekaj, A., Shabani, I., & Sejdiu, B. (2016). Pricing schemes in cloud computing: An overview. International Journal of Advanced Computer Science and Applications, 7(2), 80-86. https://doi.org/10.14569/ijacsa.2016.070211
- Mell, P., & Grance, T. (2011). The NIST definition of cloud computing. National Institute of Standard And Technology. https://csrc.nist.gov/publications/detail/sp/800-145/final. Accessed 7 September 2019
- Mohd Yusoff, Y. (2013). Cloud Computing Adoption by SMEs in the Malaysia: A Multi-perspective framework based on DOI Theory and TOE Framework. Journal of Information, Technology & Information Systems Research, 9(2), 121-135.
- Okan, A. A., Hacaloglu, T., & Yazici, A. (2016). Study on cloud computing perception of TurkisI.T.IT sector. Tehnički Vjesnik - Technical Gazette, 23(1), 1-8. https://doi.org/10.17559/tv-20131030225745
- Priyadarshinee, P., Jha, M. K., Raut, R. D., & Kharat, M. G. (2016). Risk analysis in adoption of cloud computing in SMEs-a literature review. International Journal of Business Information Systems, 23(1), 54-86. https://doi.org/10.1504/ijbis.2016.078023
- Pyae, A. (2018). Cloud computing in business intelligence cloud computing in business intelligence. Asia Pasific University of Technology and Innovation, https://www.researchgate.net/publication/333037033_ Cloud_Computing_in_Business_Intelligence Accessed 12 December 2019
- Qasım, H. & Abu-Shanab, E. (2014). Cloud computing risks & business adoption. 4(2), 52-63. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/264977131_Cloud_Computing_Risks_Business_Adoption Accessed 11 November 2019
- Ranger, S. (2016).Quantum cloud computing could arrive in the next decade, says Bill Gates. ZDNet https://www.zdnet.com/article/quantum-cloud-computing-could-arrive-in-the-next-decade-says-bill-gates/Accessed 25 November 2019
- Salah Hashim, H. & Bin Hassan, Z. (2015). Factors that influence the users’ adoption of cloud computing services at Iraqi Universities: An empirical study. Australian Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences, 9(27), 379-390. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/311964825_Factors_That_Influence_The_Users'_Adoption_Of_Cloud_Computing_Services_At_Iraqi_Universities_An_Empirical_Study Accessed 20 October 2019
- Sayginer, C. &Ercan, T.(2018). Decision making for the adoption of cloud computing in Turkish Organizations: A conjoint analysis.Management and Business Research Quarterly.69-81.doi: 10.32038/mbrq.2018.01.06
- Seifu, S. D., Dahiru, A. A., Bass, J. M., & Allison, I. K. (2017). Cloud-computing: Adoption issues for Ethiopian public and private enterprises. The Electronic Journal of Information Systems in Developing Countries, 78(7), 1-14. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.1681-4835.2017.tb00575.x
- Senarathna, I. R. (2016). Cloud computing adoption by SMEs in Australia. , PhD Dissertation, Deakin University,204 p. http://dro.deakin.edu.au/eserv/DU:30088887/senarathna-cloudcomputing-2016A.pdf
- Senyo, P. K., Effah, J., & Addae, E. (2016). Preliminary insight into cloud computing adoption in a developing country. Journal of Enterprise Information Management, 29(4), 505–524, https://doi.org/10.1108/JEIM-09-2014-0094
- Sharma, N., Singh, M., & Misra, A. (2015). Causal understanding of limited adoption of cloud computing by customers. International Journal of Computer Applications, 131(12), 13-17. https://doi.org/10.5120/ijca2015907232
- Shimba, F. (2010). Cloud computing : Strategies for cloud computing cdoption-Use licence. Masters Dissertation Dublin, Technological University Dublin, http://arrow.dit.ie/scschcomdis/29/. Accessed 17 December 2019.
- Singh, S., & Jangwal, T. (2012).Cost breakdown of public cloud computing and private cloud computing and cecurity issues.International Journal of Computer Science & Information Technology, 4(2), 17-31. https://doi.org/10.5121/ijcsit.2012.4202
- Singh, S., & Tripathi, A. K. (2016). Analyzing for performance factors in cloud computing. International Conference on Sustainable Computing Techniques in Engineering, Science and Management(SCESM 2016), September 9-10, 2016, 9(21), 87-96. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/309565208 _Analysing_for_Performance_Factors_in_Cloud_Computing Accessed 17 November 2019
- Sinjilawi, Y. K., AL-Nabhan, M. Q., & Abu-Shanab E. A. (2014). Addressing security and privacy issues in cloud computing. Journal Of Emerging Technologies In Web Intelligence, 6(2), 192-199. https://doi.org/10.4304/jetwi.6.2.192-199
- Son, I., Lee, D., Lee, J.-N., & Chang, Y.-B. (2011). Understanding the impact oI.T.IT service innovation on firm performance: The case of cloud computing. Pacific Asia Conference on Information Systems, PACIS 2011 Proceedings, Queensland, Australia, July, 7-11 2011. Paper 180. https://aisel.aisnet.org/pacis2011/index.2.html
- Srilakshmi, M., Veenadhari, CH. L., & Pradeep, I. K. (2013). Deployment models of cloud computing: challenges. International Journal of Advanced Research in Computer Science, 4(9), 135-138. https://www.ijarcs.info/index.php/Ijarcs/article/viewFile/1834/1822 Accessed 22 November 2019
- Susanto, H., Almunawar, M. N., & Kang, C. (2012). A Review of cloud computing evolution individual and business perspective. Social Science Research Network & University of Brunei, 1-10. https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.2161693
- Thakur, N., Bisen, D., Rohit, V., & Gupta, N. (2014). Review on cloud computing: Issues, services and models. International Journal of Computer Applications, 91(9), 34-38. https://doi.org/10.5120/15912-5120
- Timmermans, J., Stahl, B. C., Ikonen, V., & Bozdag, E. (2010). The ethics of cloud computing: A conceptual review. 2010 IEEE Second International Conference on Cloud Computing Technology and Science, 614–620. https://doi.org/10.1109/CloudCom.2010.59
- Trigueros-Preciado, S., Pérez-González, D. and Solana-González, P. (2013). Cloud computing in industrial SMEs: Identification of the barriers to its adoption and effects of its application. Electronic Markets, 23(2), pp. 105–114. doi: 10.1007/s12525-012-0120-4.
- Tripathi, S. & Nasina, J. (2017). Adoption of cloud computing in business: A multi-case approach to evaluate the fit-viability model (FVM). Journal of Enterprise Information Management, 12(1), 64-73. https://doi.org/10.6702/ijbi2017.12.1.2
- Udemans, C. (2018). Alibaba’s future is cloud computing, CEO Daniel Zhang says. Technode. https://technode.com/2018/11/09/alibaba-cloud-computing/Accessed 01 November 2019
- Umaeswsari, P., & Shanthini, B. (2014). Security and privacy issues in cloud computing. International Journal of Applied Engineering Research, 9(24), 27879–27893
- Velte, A.T., Velte, T.J., &Elsenpeter, R. (2009). Cloud computing, a practical approach, McGraw-Hill Education, 352 pages.
- Venters, W. & Whitley, E. A. (2012). A critical review of cloud computing: Researching desires and realities. Journal of Information Technology, 27(3), 179-197. https://doi.org/10.1057/jit.2012.17
- Yang, H. & Tate, M. (2009). Where are we at with cloud computing? A descriptive literature review. 20th Australasian Conference on Information Systems, 807-819, December 2-4, 2009.https://aisel.aisnet.org/acis2009/26
- Youseff, L., Butrico, M.A., & Da Silva, D. (2008). Toward a unified ontology of cloud computing: Grid computing environments workshop, GCE’08, 12-16 Nov. 2008, 1–10. https://doi.org/10.1109/GCE.2008.4738443
- Zhang, Q., Cheng, L., &Boutaba, R. (2010a). Cloud computing: state-of-the-art and research challenges. Journal of Internet Services And Application, 1, 7-18. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13174-010-0007-6
- Zhang, S., Zhang, S., Chen, X., &Huo, X. (2010b). Cloud Computing Research and Development Trend. 2nd International Conference on Future Networks, ICFN 2010, 93-97. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICFN.2010.58