Authors retain the copyright without restrictions for their published content in this journal. HSSR is a SHERPA ROMEO Green Journal.
TRENDS IN LEGAL REGULATION OF SOCIAL PROTECTION AS A PILLAR OF DECENT WORK AND A MOVING FORCE OF SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT
Corresponding Author(s) : Galyna Ierko
Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews,
Vol. 8 No. 3 (2020): May
Purpose of the study: The purpose of the article is to identify trends in the legal regulation of social protection at the global, regional and national levels in the process of achieving decent work and sustainable development. The object of the study is the sphere of social protection as a pillar of decent work and a moving force of sustainable development, and its subject is the mechanisms of legal regulation of this sphere at the global, regional, and national levels.
Methodology: The methodological basis of the research is dialectics, synergies, and hermeneutics. The research methods cover a system of general scientific and special legal means and methods of knowledge, method of abstraction and generalization, analytical, formal-logical, and logical-semantic approaches.
Main Findings: It is proved that it is advisable to apply a synergistic approach to identifying and defining trends in the legal regulation of social protection as a pillar of decent work and a moving force of sustainable development. It is determined that in developed, developing countries and countries with economies in transition, there is a need to prepare modern National Social Protection Strategies at the legislative level or to improve existing strategies, taking into account the provisions of the 2030 Sustainable Development Programme and the ILO Decent Work Programme.
Applications of this study: The results of this research can be used to formulate public policy in social security and labor in Ukraine. Ideological findings will improve labor legislation. The research algorithm will be useful for students as well as graduate students in the study of labor law problems.
Novelty/Originality of this study: The originality of this research is the use of a synergistic approach for the consideration of social protection as the foundation of decent work and the moving force of sustainable development. This approach is unconventional in the science of labor law. It helped to identify important areas for improvement of legal regulation of social protection at the global, regional, and national levels.
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- Amelicheva, L. P. (2020). The right to decent work the work of migrant workers in the context of globalization. Business, economy, and law, 1, 54-58. https://doi.org/10.32849/2663-5313/2020.1.10 DOI: https://doi.org/10.32849/2663-5313/2020.1.10
- Behrendt, С. (2019). Social protection systems and the future of work: Ensuring social security for digital platform workers. International Social Security Review, 72(3), 17-4. https://doi.org/10.1111/issr.12212 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/issr.12212
- Berezina, S.B. (2019). Social risks: factors and directions of minimization. (Unpublished Doctoral dissertation). Ptoukha Institute for Demography and Social Studies of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Kyiv, Ukraine.
- Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine (CMU). (2012). On approving the strategy for reforming the system of providing social services. Order, No. 556-r. https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/556-2012-%D1%80
- Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine (CMU). (2016). On approving of the poverty reduction strategy. Order, No. 161-r. https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/161-2016-%D1%80#n10
- Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine (CMU). (2018). On approval of the state policy Strategy on healthy and active longevity of the population for the period up to 2022. Order, No. 10-r. https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/10-2018-%D1%80
- Cameron, L. (2019). Social protection programs for women in developing countries. IZA World of Labor, 14(2). http://doi.org/10.15185/izawol.14.v2 DOI: https://doi.org/10.15185/izawol.14.v2
- Chizhov, D.A. (2018). The legal mechanism for ensuring the social protection of a person in the conditions of armed conflict in Ukraine. Kyiv: National Pedagogical Dragomanov University.
- Coleman, R. (2011). Realizing Decent Work and Social Protection for All: How civil society organizations are creating change. SOLIDAR. https://www.solidar.org/system/downloads/attachments/000/000/126/original/g n_2011_dwsp_web_eng_corr-2.pdf?1457601233
- Commission of the European Communities. (1994). European Social Policy - A Way Forward for the Union. A White Paper. Part A. COM (94) 333 final. http://aei.pitt.edu/1118/1/social_policy_white_p aper_COM_94_333_A.pdf
- Conceicao, P. (2019). Beyond income, beyond averages, beyond today: Inequalities in human development in the 21st century: Human Development Report 2019. United Nations Development Programme. http://hdr.undp.org/sites/default/files/hdr2019.pdf
- Council of Europe. (1990). European Code of Social Security (Revised), No. 139, Rom. http://hrlibrary.umn.edu/euro/ets139.html
- Council of Europe. (1996). European Social Charter (Revised), No. 163, Strasbourg. https://www.coe.int/en/web/conventions/full-list/-/conventions/treaty/163
- Darden, Ph. N. (2019). Report on the development of the main parameters of the decent work program for Ukraine for 2020-2024. Results management and monitoring and evaluation: ILO, a workshop on decent work Program planning (December 17-19, 2019), Кyiv: CIDT. http://employers.org.ua/media/Ukraine%2 0DWCP%20Workshop%20Report%20Dec%202019_UKR.pdf
- Gizatullin, H.N., & Troitskii, V.A. (1998). The concept of sustainable development: a new socio-economic paradigm. Obschestvennie nauki i sovremennost, 5, 124-130.
- Goncharov, A. (2009). Concept of social protection. Pidpriemnictvo, gospodarstvo i parvo, 10, 126-129.
- Goncharuk, N. S. (2012). Social contract as an incentive to overcome poverty in the Russian Federation. Upravlenie i obschestvo, 3, 70-74.
- International Labour Organization. (2008). Declaration on Social Justice for a Fair Globalization: Adopted by the International Labour Conference at its 97th Session, Geneva. https://www.ilo.org/wcmsp5/groups/public/---dgreports/---cabinet/documents/genericdocument/wcms_371208.pdf
- International Labour Organization. (2011). The sixth item on the agenda: A recurrent discussion on the strategic objective of social protection (social security) under the follow-up to the 2008 ILO Declaration on Social Justice for a Fair Globalization. Report of the Committee for the Recurrent Discussion on Social Protection. International Labour Conference. 100th Session, Geneva. https://www.ilo.org/wcmsp5/groups/public/---ed_norm/---relconf/documents/meetingdocument/wcms_157820.pdf
- International Labour Organization. (2012). Social Protection Floors Recommendation, No. 202, Geneva. http://www.ilo.org/dyn/normlex/en/f?p=NORMLEXPUB:12100:0::NO:12100:P12100_INSTRUMENT_ID:3065524:NO
- International Labour Organization. (2013). Decent Work Technical Support Team and Country Office for Eastern Europe and Central Asia. Social security for all: creating minimum levels of social protection and universal social security systems: Strategy of the International labor organization. Brief description. Moscow: ILO. https://www.ilo.org/wcmsp5/groups/public/---europe/---ro-geneva/---sro-moscow/documents/publicat ion/ wcms_344691.pdf
- Kravchenko, E.V. (2019). Social contracts as a promising mechanism for improving the effectiveness of social protection of the population. Economica Truda, 6(2), 827-840. http://doi.org/10.18334/et.6.2.40673 DOI: https://doi.org/10.18334/et.6.2.40673
- Kubrak, I. A. (2019). Conceptual directions for improving the effectiveness of social protection of the population in the Russian Federation. Bulletin of the Moscow state regional University. Series: Economics, 2, 73-79. https://doi.org/10.18384/2310-6646-2019-2-73-79 DOI: https://doi.org/10.18384/2310-6646-2019-2-73-79
- Kudrin, A.S. (2014). Problems of implementing the concept of decent work in Russia. Vestnik Permskogo universiteta, 2, 185-191.
- Maliuga, L.Yu. (2019). Theoretical and legal bases of social adaptation of Ukrainian legislation to the legislation of the European Union. Herson: Gelvetyka.
- Mantatov, V.V., & Mantatova, L.V. (2015). Sustainable development as civilizational progress: from technogenic and consumer utopia to ecological and ethical socialism. Social Sciences. Collection of Scientific Works, 18, 3-28. Ulan-Ude: VSGUTU Publishing house.
- Mnacakanyan, E.G. (2016). Improving the social protection of employees in the process of achieving decent work. Nauchno-prakticheskii Jurnal “Gosudarstvo i pravo v XXI veke”, 1, 46–51.
- Nagrebelnyi V.P., & Bolotina N.B. (1998). Social protection. Yuridichna enciklopedіya, 5. Kyiv.
- Nemtsov, I.A. (2015). Socio-philosophical foundations of sustainable development. Philosophical Thought, 10, 88–101.
- President of Ukraine. (2019). On the Sustainable Development Goals of Ukraine for the period up to 2030. The decree, No. 722/2019. https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/722/2019
- Ranevych, O. Yu. (2019). Constitutional Principles of Social Security Law. (Unpublished Ph.D. dissertation). The Ivan Franko National University of Lviv, Lviv, Ukraine.
- Sabates-Wheeler, R. (2019). Mapping differential vulnerabilities and rights: ‘opening’ access to social protection for forcibly displaced populations. Comparative Migration Studies, 38. https://doi.org/10.1186/s40878-019-0142-6 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1186/s40878-019-0142-6
- Simutina, Y. (2018). Decent Work. Velika Ukrainska yuridichna enciklopediya. Vol.11. Trudove parvo. Harkіv: Pravo.
- Soloviev, A. K. (2019). Decent work for all - the main condition for overcoming pensioner poverty in Russia. In G.R. Baimurzinov, & R.M. Valiahmetova (eds.) The future of the sphere of work: global challenges and regional development (pp. 237-242). Ufa, Republic of Bashkortostan.
- Tymofiiv, R.M. (2019). Employer as a subject of employees′ social protection. (Unpublished Ph.D. dissertation). Ivan Franko Lviv National University, Lviv, Ukraine.
- United Nations. (1948). Universal Declaration of Human Rights, 1948. Resolution 217 A (III). https://www.ohchr.org/EN/UDHR/Documents/UDHR_Translations/eng.pdf
- United Nations. (1966). International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights, Adopted and opened for signature, ratification, and accession by General Assembly resolution 2200A (XXI) of December 16, 1966, entry into force 3 January 1976. https://www.ohchr.org/en/professionalinterest/pages/cescr.aspx
- United Nations. (2019). Report of the Secretary-General on SDG Progress 2019. New York: United Nations. https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/content/documents/24978Report_of_the_SG_on_SDG_Progress_2019.pdf
- Vyshnovetska, S., Pyvovar, Y., & Kmetyk, Kh. (2018). Distant Work: Essence and Perspective of Legal Regulation in Ukraine.Advanced Science Letters,24(12), 9405-9409. https://doi.org/10.1166/asl.2018.12285 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1166/asl.2018.12285
- Zykina, T.A. (2014). Ensuring the employee's right to decent work: modern problems. Moscow: Northern (Arctic) Federal University named after M.V. Lomonosov.