Authors retain the copyright without restrictions for their published content in this journal. HSSR is a SHERPA ROMEO Green Journal.
TRADE BETWEEN THE UNITED STATES AND THE BRITISH WEST INDIES (1823-1846)
Corresponding Author(s) : N. V. Sang
Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews,
Vol. 8 No. 3 (2020): May
Purpose of the study: This study investigated the history of trade relations between the United States and the British West Indies from 1823 to 1846.
Methodology: This article uses a combination of historical approach and interdisciplinary approach through statistics, analysis of statistical reports, and content of scientific publications on the topic.
Main Findings: The author of this article has analyzed the value of trade and the structure of exchanged products, compared the trade value between the US and the British West Indies with other regions as well as its effect on the US, British Indies in the context of the British-American relations in the first half of the nineteenth century.
Applications of this study: This study can be useful to understand the history of trade relations between the US and the British colonies in the West Indies during the first half of the nineteenth century. It can also be used for academic purposes for universities, researchers, lecturers of history and political sciences as well as undergraduate and postgraduate students.
Novelty/Originality of this study: This paper is the first study on the history of trade relations between the US and the British West Indies between 1823 and 1846.
- Allen, H.C. (1955). Great Britain and the United States: A History of Anglo-American Relations (1783-1952). Fellow of Lincoln College.
- Ammon, H. (2007). The Monroe Doctrine: Domestic Politics or National Decision? Diplomatic History, 5(1), 53–70. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-7709.1981.tb00652.x
- Benns, F.L. (1923). The American Struggle for the British West India Carrying-Trade 1815-1830. Penn State Press.
- Brereton, B. M. (1998). West Indies. https://www.britannica.com/place/West-Indies-island-group-Atlantic-Ocean
- Corwin, R. (1851). Report of the Trade and Commerce of the British North American Colonies with the United States and other countries. Nabu Press.
- Daszyńska, J. A. (2018a). Kryzysy i Kompromisy w Stanach Zjednoczonych Ameryki czasów Ojców Założyczieli. The University of Lodz.
- Daszyńska, J. A. (2018b). Kryzysy i Kompromisy w Stanach Zjednoczonyh Ameryki czasów Ojców Założyczieli. Uniwersytet Łódzki.
- De Bow, J. D. B. (1854). Encyclopedia of the trade and commerce of the United States: More particularly of the southern and western states: Giving a view of the commerce, agriculture, manufactures, internal improvements, slave and free labor, slavery institutions, products, etc., of the South. Trübner & Co.
- Elder, W. (1864). Statistics of the Foreign and Domestic Commerce of the United States: Embracing a Historical Review and Analysis of Foreign Commerce from the Beginning of the Government. The United States. Department of the Treasury.
- Gordon, H. T. (1908). The Treaty of Washington, Concluded August 9, 1842, by Daniel Webster and Lord Ashburton. University of Berkeley Press.
- Government Printing Office. (1840). Public Documents printed by order of the Senate of the United States, during the first session of twenty-sixth Congress. 3. Government Printing Office.
- Government Printing Office. (1859). American State Papers: Documents, Legislative and Executive, of the Congress of the United States. (1859). Gales and Seaton.
- Great Britain Foreign Office (1855).British and Foreign State Papers, 1837-1838. 26. Published by Great Britain Foreign Office.
- Great Britain Foreign Office (1858a). British and Foreign State Papers, 1840-1842. Published by Great Britain Foreign Office. 30(2).
- Great Britain Foreign Office (1858b). British and Foreign State Papers, 1842-1843. Published by Great Britain Foreign Office. 31(1).
- Green, J. (1919). Relations between the United States and Great Britain, 1776-1915. The University of Michigan Library.
- Higma, B. W. (2000). The Sugar Revolution. The Economic History Review, 53(2), 213–236. https://doi.org/10.1111/1468-0289.00158
- Jackson, A. (1830). October 5, 1830: Proclamation Regarding the Opening of United States Ports to British Vessels; Proclamation Regarding the Opening of United States Ports to British Vessels. https://millercenter.org/the-presidency/presidential-speeches/october-5-1830-proclamation-regarding-opening-united-states.
- Jackson, A. (1830). Proclamation Regarding the Opening of United States Ports to British Vessels; October 5, 1830. https://avalon.law.yale.edu/19th_century/ajproc06.asp.
- Jackson, A. (1897). Messages and Papers of the Presidents: Andrew Jackson and Martin Van Buren. Wildside Press LLC.
- Jennings, R. Y. (1938). The Caroline and McLeod Cases. The American Journal of International Law, 32(1), 82–99. https://doi.org/10.2307/2190632
- Jones, H. (1977). To The Webster-Ashburton Treaty: A Study in Anglo-American Relations, 1783-1843. The University of North Carolina Press. https://doi.org/10.2307/2208070
- Kaufman, H.S. (2005). Macpherson, Britain, and the Americas: Culture, Politics, and History. ABC-CLIO.
- Kerr-Ritchie, J. R. (2019). Rebellious Passage: The Creole Revolt and America’s Coastal Slave Trade. Cambridge University Press. https://doi.org/10.1017/9781108616324
- Kłosowicz, R. (2005). Documents and Readings in American History: From the Colonies to the End of the Nineteenth Century. Jagiellonian University Press.
- Macgregor, J. (1847). Commercial Statistics: A Digest of the productive resources, commercial legislation, customs tariffs, of all nations. Including all British commercial treaties with foreign states. Whittaker and co.
- Manning, W.R (1939). Diplomatic correspondence of the United States inter-American Affairs, 1831-1860. 12. Division of Latin American Affairs. Department of State.
- Mariano, M. (2011). Isolationism, internationalism, and the Monroe Doctrine. Journal of Transatlantic Studies, 9(1), 35–45. https://doi.org/10.1080/14794012.2011.550776
- Matera, P., & Matera, R. (2007). Stany Zjednoczone i Europa. Stosunki polityczne i gospodarcze 1776-2004 [United States and Europe. Political and economic relations 1776-2004]. Książka i Wiedza.
- Moore, J. B. (1896). The Monroe Doctrine. Political Science Quarterly, 11(1), 1–29. https://doi.org/10.2307/2139599
- Mowat, R.B. (1925).The Diplomatic Relations of Great Britain and the United States. Longmans, Green & Co.
- Murray, H. (1855). The Encyclopedia of Geography: Comprising a Complete Description of the Earth. Longmans.
- Pastusiak, L. (2005). Prezydenci Stanów Zjednoczonych Ameryki. Wydawnictwo Iskry.
- Pitkin, T. (1817). A Statistical View of the Commerce of the United States of America: Its Connection with Agriculture and Manufactures: And an Account of the Public Debt, Revenues, and Expenditures of the United States. With a Brief Review of the Trade, Agriculture, and Manufactures of the Colonies, Previous to Their Independence. Accompanied by Tables, Illustrative of the Principles and Objects of the Work. James Eastburn & Company.
- Pitkin, T. (1835). A Statistical View of the Commerce of the United States of America: Including Also an Account of Banks, Manufactures, and Internal Trade and Improvements. Durrie & Peck.
- Rakestraw, D. A., & Jones, H. (1997). Prologue to Manifest Destiny: Anglo-American Relations in the 1840s. Rowman & Littlefield Publishers.
- Rodriguez, R. P. (2007). Slavery in the United States: A Social, Political, and Historical Encyclopaedia. ABC-CLIO.
- Rupprecht, A. (2013). All We Have Done, We Have Done for Freedom’’: The Creole Slave-Ship Revolt (1841) and the Revolutionary Atlantic. International Review of Social History, 58(21), 253–277. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0020859013000254
- Sang, N. V. (2017). The Oregon Question in the British—American relations, 1818-1846. Koło Historii, 21, 43–58.
- Sang, N. V. (2018a). The British-American Diplomacy in Searching for the Northeast Boundary in Maine and New Brunswick, 1820-1846. Annals of the University of Craiova. History, 2(34), 35–48.
- Sang, N. V. (2018b). The Caroline Affair and the Diplomatic Crisis between Great Britain and the United States, 1837–1841. Prawo i Polityka, 8, 73-83.
- Sang, N. V. (2019a). Relations between the United States of America and Great Britain from the Monroe doctrine to the Mexican-American war, 1823-1846 [The Doctoral Dissertation in History]. The University of Lodz.
- Sang, N. V. (2019b). The Reconstruction of the British-American Relations: From the American Revolutionary War to the War of 1812. Journal of Science, The University of Danang, University of Science and Education, 36(05), 66–72.
- Sang, N. V., Piotr, R., Phuong, N. D., & Trang, L. (2019). The struggle of the Right on the sea in the British-American relations: The case of the Creole Slaves Revolt (1841). Annals of the University of Craiova. History, 36(2), 23–36.
- Sang, N. V., & Tien, N. T. K. (2018). The Monroe Doctrine (1823): Origins, Principles, and Effects. Journal of Science, The University of Danang, University of Science and Education, 31(05), 39–45.
- Sang, N.V. (2020). Vấn đề cưỡng bách tòng quân Trong Quan hệ Anh–Mĩ từ Chiến Tranh giành độc lập đến hiệp ước Webster–Ashburton (1783-1842) [The Impressment of American sailors in the British-American relations from the American Revolutionary War to the Webster Ashburton Treaty (1783-1842)].Journal of Science, Ho Chi Minh City University of Education, 17(04), 679-691.
- Smith, M. G. (1965). The plural society in the British West Indies. University of California Press.
- Trollope, A. (1999). The West Indies and the Spanish Main. Carroll & Graf.
- United States Congress. (1859). American State Papers: Documents, Legislative and Executive, of the Congress of the United States. Gales and Seaton.
- United States Department of Commerce. (1864). Statistics of the Foreign and Domestic Commerce of the United States. Government Printing Office.
- The United States. Department of State. (1856). Report on the Commercial Relations of the United States with all Foreign Countries. Government Printing Office
- United States Department of State. (1877). Report Upon the Commercial Relations of the United States With Foreign Countries for the Year 1876. Government Printing Office.
- Ward, J. R. (1978). The Profitability of Sugar Planting in the British West Indies, 1650-1834. The Economic History Review, 31(2), 197–213. https://doi.org/10.2307/2594924
- Watts, J.W. (2000). Presidential Documents: The Speeches, Proclamations, and Policies that Have Shaped the Nation from Washington to Clinton. Routledge.
- Whiting, C. (1846). Commercial Tariffs and Regulations of the Several States of Europe and America. Nabu Press.
- Zahedieh, N. (1986). Trade, Plunder, and Economic Development in Early English Jamaica, 1655-89. The Economic History Review, 39(2), 205–222. https://doi.org/10.2307/2596150