This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors retain the copyright without restrictions for their published content in this journal. HSSR is a SHERPA ROMEO Green Journal.
BUILDING INSTITUTIONAL SYNERGICITY ON DISASTER MANAGEMENT IN ACEH
Corresponding Author(s) : Hendra Syahputra
Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews,
Vol. 8 No. 4 (2020): July
Purpose of the study: This study attempted to discuss and develop concepts for the Aceh Disaster Management Agency (BPBA) to maximize their capacity in performing their function and task in any disaster management activities in Aceh Province.
Methodology: In this study, literature reviews and semi-structured interviews were adopted to obtain information regarding the implementation of disaster management in Aceh and the performance of BPBA. In total, there are 26 interviewees, consisting of top management elements in BPBA and its main stakeholders, such as the government of Aceh, research centers, search and rescue team (SAR), the military, etc.
Main Findings: This paper revealed that the implementation of disaster management activities in Aceh is still weak especially concerning the management structure of BPBA and coordination that have to be carried out with related stakeholders.
Applications of this study: The proposed concepts in this paper are expected to be fruitful inputs for BPBA in performing and synergizing their risk reduction activities with other related parties for a better disaster management implementation in Aceh Province.
Novelty/Originality of this study: Even though Aceh is one of the most disaster-prone areas in Indonesia, to the best of the author's knowledge, there are no researchers who discuss and study the importance of building institutional synergy for disaster management so far.
- Aceh, B., Sugimoto, M., Iemura, H., & Shaw, R. (2010). Tsunami height poles and disaster awareness Memory, education and awareness of disaster on the reconstruction for resilient city in. 19(5), 527–540. https://doi.org/10.1108/09653561011091869
- Adiyoso, W., & Kanegae, H. (2013). The Preliminary Study of the Role of Islamic Teaching in the Disaster Risk Reduction (A Qualitative Case Study of Banda Aceh, Indonesia). Procedia Environmental Sciences, 17, 918–927. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proenv.2013.02.110
- Bappeda Aceh. (2005). Pembangunan Propinsi Aceh Pasca Bencana Alam. Banda Aceh: Bappeda Propinsi Aceh.
- Chang, Y., Wilkinson, S., & Potangaroa, R. (2012). Resourcing for post-disaster reconstruction : a comparative study of Indonesia and China. 21(1), 7–21. https://doi.org/10.1108/09653561211202674
- Dalidjo, N., 2019. Roles and challenges of private sector during disaster. Perkumpulan Skala: Jakarta.
- Dennis, R. (2014). Improvised performance: Nurturing natural leadership. Journal of Organisational Transformation & Social Change, 11(2), 108-124. https://doi.org/10.1179/1477963313Z.00000000016
- Dewi, M. K., Manochin, M., & Belal, A. (2019). Marching with the volunteers: Their role and impact on beneficiary accountability in an Indonesian NGO. Accounting, Auditing and Accountability Journal, 32(4), 1117–1145. https://doi.org/10.1108/AAAJ-10-2016-2727
- Dias, N. T., Keraminiyage, K., & DeSilva, K. K. (2016). Long-term satisfaction of post disaster resettled communities: The case of post tsunami – Sri Lanka. Disaster Prevention and Management, 25(5), 581–594. https://doi.org/10.1108/DPM-11-2015-0264
- Djalante, R. (2012). Adaptive governance and resilience: the role of multi-stakeholder platforms in disaster risk reduction. Natural Hazards Earth Syst. Sci., 12(1), 2923-2942. https://doi.org/10.5194/nhess-12-2923-2012
- Farah, M., & Rajib, S. (2014). Risk Communication through Community-based Society Organizations as Local Response to Disaster in Bandung, Indonesia. In Community, Environment and Disaster Risk Management: Vol.14. Risks and Conflicts: Local Responses to Natural Disasters (pp. 231–250). https://doi.org/10.1108/S2040-7262(2013)0000014016
- Gaillard, J. C., Clavé, E., & Kelman, I. (2008). Wave of peace? Tsunami disaster diplomacy in Aceh, Indonesia. Geoforum, 39(1), 511–526. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geoforum.2007.10.010
- Gore, T.,& Fischer, T. B. (2014). Uncovering the factors that can support and impede post-disaster EIA practice in developing countries: The case of Aceh Province, Indonesia. Environmental Impact Assessment Review, 44(September 2010), 67–75. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eiar.2013.09.001
- Guo, X., & Kapucu, N. (2017). Examining livelihood risk perceptions in disaster resettlement. Disaster Prevention and Management: An International Journal, 26(5), 565–581. https://doi.org/10.1108/DPM-06-2017-0121
- Hahn, R. (2013). ISO 26000 and the standardization of strategic management processes for sustainability and corporate social responsibility. Business Strategy and the Environment, 22(7), 442-455. https://doi.org/10.1002/bse.1751
- Hamza, M., & Månsson, P. (2019). The human dimension of early warning – a viewpoint. International Journal of Disaster Resilience in the Built Environment. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJDRBE-07-2019-0040
- HusniRahiem, M. D., Krauss, S. E., & Rahim, H. (2018). The Child Victims of the Aceh Tsunami: Stories of Resilience, Coping and Moving on with Life. Procedia Engineering, 212(2017), 1303–1310. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2018.01.168
- Iemura, H., Takahashi, Y., & Pradono, M. H. (2006). Earthquake and tsunami questionnaires in Banda Aceh and surrounding areas. 15(1), 21–30. https://doi.org/10.1108/09653560610654211
- Ife, J., 2001. Local and global practice: Relocating social work as a human rights profession in the new global order. European Journal of Social Work, 4(1), 5-15. https://doi.org/10.1080/714052835
- Ismail, N., Okazaki, K., Ochiai, C., & Fernandez, G. (2017). Livelihood changes in Banda Aceh, Indonesia after the 2004 Indian Ocean Tsunami. International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction, 28(February 2017), 439–449. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijdrr.2017.09.003
- Ismail, N., Okazaki, K., Ochiai, C., & Fernandez, G. (2018). Livelihood Strategies after the 2004 Indian Ocean Tsunami in Banda Aceh, Indonesia. Procedia Engineering, 212, 551–558. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2018.01.071
- Izumi, T., & Shaw, R. (2015). Overview and introduction of the private sector’s role in disaster management. In Disaster Management and Private Sectors (pp. 1-10). Springer, Tokyo. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-4-431-55414-1_1
- Jena, R., Pradhan, B., Beydoun, G., Nizamuddin, Ardiansyah, Sofyan, H., & Affan, M. (2019). Integrated model for earthquake risk assessment using neural network and analytic hierarchy process: Aceh province, Indonesia. Geoscience Frontiers, (May). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gsf.2019.07.006
- Kamil, P. A., Utaya, S., Sumarmi, & Utomo, D. H. (2020). Improving disaster knowledge within high school students through geographic literacy. International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction, 43(March 2019), 101411. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijdrr.2019.101411
- Kent, L., & Affiat, R., 2017. Gambling with truth: Hopes and challenges for Aceh’s commission for truth and reconciliation. Flowers in the wall: Truth and reconciliation in Timor-Leste, Indonesia, and Melanesia, 167-184. https://doi.org/10.2307/j.ctvf3w1x3.21
- Kusumasari, B., & Alam, Q. (2012). Local wisdom-based disaster recovery model in Indonesia. Disaster Prevention and Management: An International Journal, 21(3), 351–369. https://doi.org/10.1108/09653561211234525
- Kusumasari, B., & Alam, Q., 2012. Bridging the gaps: the role of local government capability and the management of a natural disaster in Bantul, Indonesia. Natural hazards, 60(2), 761-779. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11069-011-0016-1
- Mangkusubroto, K., 2011. Analisis dinamika kolaborasi antara badan rehabilitasi dan rekontruksi Aceh dan Nias (BRR) dengan lembaga donor pasca tsunami 2004 menggunakan drama theory. Journal of Technology Management, 10(1). https://journal.sbm.itb.ac.id/index.php/mantek/article/view/131
- Mannakkara, S., & Wilkinson, S. (2013). Build Back Better principles for post-disaster structural improvements. Structural Survey, 31(4), 314–327. https://doi.org/10.1108/SS-12-2012-0044
- Matsumaru, R., Nagami, K., & Takeya, K. (2012). Reconstruction of the Aceh Region following the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami disaster: A transportation perspective. IATSS Research, 36(1), 11–19. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.iatssr.2012.07.001
- Matsuura, S., & Razak, K. A. (2019). Exploring transdisciplinary approaches to facilitate disaster risk reduction. Disaster Prevention and Management: An International Journal, 28(6), 809–822. https://doi.org/10.1108/DPM-09-2019-0289
- McDermott, R., Luelf, C., Hofmann, L., & Gibbons, P. (2017). International law applicable to urban conflict and disaster. Disaster Prevention and Management: An International Journal, 26(5), 553–564. https://doi.org/10.1108/DPM-03-2017-0052
- Moniruzzaman, M. (2010). The ripples changed our lives: Health in post-tsunami Thailand. Disaster Prevention and Management: An International Journal, 19(3), 333–344. https://doi.org/10.1108/09653561011052501
- Naithani, S. (2019). Social capital and livelihood strategies in response after 2013 Kedarnath disaster (India ). https://doi.org/10.1108/DPM-07-2019-0221
- Nazara, Suahasil and Budy, P., R. 2007. Aceh-Nias Reconstruction and Rehabilitation: Progress and Challenges at the End of 2006. Tokyo: Asian Development Bank Institute. Available: http://www.adbi.org/discussionpaper/2007/06/26/2288.acehnias.reconstruction.rehabilitation/
- Neri, B., Scuteri, S., Miniati, S., & Hommes-italia, F. T. (n.d.). From emergency relief to livelihood recovery Lessons learned from post-tsunami experiences in Indonesia and India. https://doi.org/10.1108/09653560810887329
- Nolz, P. C., Doerner, K. F., & Hartl, R. F. (2010). Water distribution in disaster relief. International Journal of Physical Distribution and Logistics Management, 40(8), 693–708. https://doi.org/10.1108/09600031011079337
- Nurhasim, A., 2017. Kenapa Gempa Bumi Di Aceh Bisa Sangat Dahsyat? Ini Jawabannya, Indonesia. Tempo.co.https://tekno.tempo.co/read/880892/kenapa-gempa-bumi-di-aceh-bisa-sangat-dahsyat-ini-awabannya
- Oloruntoba, R. (2005). A wave of destruction and the waves of relief: Issues, challenges and strategies. Disaster Prevention and Management: An International Journal, 14(4), 506–521. https://doi.org/10.1108/09653560510618348
- Ophiyandri, T., Amaratunga, D., & Pathirage, C. (2011). Critical success factors for housing reconstruction projects in the pre-construction stage in Indonesia. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJDRBE-03-2013-0005
- Perry, M. (2007). Natural disaster management planning: A study of logistics managers responding to the tsunami. International Journal of Physical Distribution and Logistics Management, 37(5), 409–433. https://doi.org/10.1108/09600030710758455
- Phelps, N. A., Bunnell, T., & Miller, M. A. (2011). Post-disaster economic development in Aceh: Neoliberalization and other economic-geographical imaginaries. Geoforum, 42(4), 418–426. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geoforum.2011.02.006
- Pheng, L. S., Raphael, B., & Kit, W. K. (2006). Tsunamis: Some pre-emptive disaster planning and management issues for consideration by the construction industry. Structural Survey, 24(5), 378–396. https://doi.org/10.1108/02630800610711979
- Rahmayati, Y. (2016). Reframing “building back better” for post-disaster housing design : a community perspective. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJDRBE-05-2015-0029
- Shah, R., & Lopes Cardozo, M. (2014). Education and social change in post-conflict and post-disaster Aceh, Indonesia. International Journal of Educational Development, 38, 2–12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijedudev.2014.06.005
- Sina, D., Chang-Richards, A. Y., Wilkinson, S., & Potangaroa, R. (2019). A conceptual framework for measuring livelihood resilience: Relocation experience from Aceh, Indonesia. World Development, 117, 253–265. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.worlddev.2019.01.003
- Sina, D., Chang-Richards, A. Y., Wilkinson, S., & Potangaroa, R. (2019). What does the future hold for relocated communities post-disaster? Factors affecting livelihood resilience. International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction, 34(March 2018), 173–183. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijdrr.2018.11.015
- Swainson, L., & Mahanty, S. (2018). Green economy meets political economy: Lessons from the “Aceh Green” initiative, Indonesia. Global Environmental Change, 53(February), 286–295. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gloenvcha.2018.10.009
- Syafwina. (2014). Recognizing Indigenous Knowledge for Disaster Management: Smong, Early Warning System from Simeulue Island, Aceh. Procedia Environmental Sciences, 20, 573–582. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proenv.2014.03.070
- Syahputra, H. (2019). Indigenous knowledge representation in mitigation process : a study of communities’ understandings of natural disasters in Aceh Province , Indonesia. 4(February 2018), 94–102. https://doi.org/10.1108/CC-11-2017-0046
- Takeda, M. B., & Helms, M. M. (2006). “Bureaucracy, meet catastrophe”: Analysis of the tsunami disaster relief efforts and their implications for global emergency governance. International Journal of Public Sector Management, 19(2), 204–217. https://doi.org/10.1108/09513550610650446
- Takeda, M. B., & Helms, M. M. (2006). “Bureaucracy, meet catastrophe”: Analysis of Hurricane Katrina relief efforts and their implications for emergency response governance. International Journal of Public Sector Management, 19(4), 397–411. https://doi.org/10.1108/09513550610669211
- Takim, R., Mohammad, M. F., & Nawawi, A. H. (2018). Malaysian Entrepreneurship through “Building Back Better” (BBB) Agenda in the Redevelopment of Banda Aceh. Procedia Engineering, 212(2017), 324–331. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2018.01.042
- Tuohy, R., Stephens, C., & Johnston, D. (2014). Qualitative research can improve understandings about disaster preparedness for independent older adults in the community. Disaster Prevention and Management: An International Journal, 23(3), 296–308. https://doi.org/10.1108/DPM-01-2013-0006
- Von Meding, J., Wong, J., Kanjanabootra, S., & Taheri T., M. (2016). Competence-based system development for post-disaster project management. Disaster Prevention and Management, 25(3), 375–394. https://doi.org/10.1108/DPM-07-2015-0164
- Yuan, H., Clifton, D. O., Stone, P., & Blumberg, H. H. (2000). Positive and negative words: Their association with leadership talent and effectiveness. The Psychologist-Manager Journal, 4(2), 199. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0095892