Main Article Content
The objective of the study is to investigate into the roles of Corporate Social Responsibility towards the community development of Sohar. This study critically analyzes the current practices of CSR in the selected companies at Sohar Port area, Oman.
The study was carried out with ten selected companies from Sohar Industrial Port area selected on a random sampling basis.
The study has thrown light on the various activities of CSR carried out by the selected companies in the Al Batinah region of Sultanate of Oman. The study reveals that the manufacturing companies have high inclination towards CSR programs than the other.
Further the study shows that the selection of CSR activities by one company does not have any impact on any other company from the same area. This will induce every company to come up with new CSR activities in to their manifold.
The study confirms that the selected companies play significant role through involving them in social responsibility activities resulting in sustained development of Sultanate of Oman.
No prior study has examined the CSR activities of the companies at Sohar Port, Oman. This study will pave a way to further scope of study on CSR activities of the companies of Oman.
Authors retain the copyright without restrictions for their published content in this journal. IJMIER is SHERPA ROMEO Green Journal.
- Carroll Band Shabana K M (2010), The Business Case for Corporate Social Responsibility: A Review of Concepts, Research and Practice, International Journal of Management Reviews, Blackwell Publishing Ltd and British Academy of Management, pp.85-105, http://f2.washington.edu/fm/sites/default/files/Business%20Case%20for%20CSR%20Review%20of%20Concepts,%20Research%20and%20Practice.pdf Retrieved on 31.05.2015 18.20 p.m.
- Bhattacharya C.B, Korschum D and Sen K (2009), Strengthening Stakeholder-Company Relationships Through Mutually Beneficial Corporate Social Responsibility Initiatives.
- Compa (2008), Corporate Social Responsibility and Workers’ Rights Cornell University ILR School, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- CSR Oman (2015), Welcome to Oman’s only CSR Summit, available at the website http://www.csrsummitoman.com/2015 Retrieved 16.3.2015, 8.30 A.M.
- Hopkins M, (2003), The Planetary Bargain: Corporate Social Responsibility Matters, UK, Earthscan avaible at web site www.books.google.com.om Retrieved 12.3.2015, 11:30 A.M.
- Hopkins M, (2004), Corporate social responsibility: an issues paper, available at the website www.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=908181 Retrieved 04.2.2015, 09.30 A.M.
- Ismail M (2009), Corporate Social Responsibility and Its role in Community Development: an international perspective, Journal of International Social Research, Volume 2/9 fall, 2009.
- Jusoor, 2015, Introduction, available at the website www.jusoor.om Retrieved on 12.2.2015 10.52 A.M.
- McWilliams and Siegel 2001, Corporate Social Responsibility: A Theory of the Firm Perspective, The Academy of Management Review, Vol. 26, No. 1 (Jan., 2001), pp. 117-127. Available at the website www.jstor.org/stable/259398 Page Count: 11
- MVO (2004), what is CSR, MOV Nederland, 2004, available at the website www.mvonederland.nl/content/pagina/wat-mvo Retrieved 16.4.2015, 8.00 A.M.
- Perrin T (2009), Corporate Social Responsibility: It's no longer an Option. As cited in Maimouna I (2009), corporate Social responsibility and its role in community development: An international Perspective, The Journal International Social Research, pp.199-209, http://www.towersperrin.com/tpshowdctmdoc.jsp Retrieved on 10/2/2015 8 p.m.
- Ruggie, J (2008), Protect, Respect and Remedy: a Framework for Business and Human Rights Report of the Special Representative of the Secretary-General on the issue of human rights and transnational corporations and other business enterprises, John Ruggie, UN Document: A/HRC/8/5, 7 April available at the website www.reports-andmaterials.org/Ruggiereport-7-Apr2008 Retrieved 20.3.2015, 8.00 A.M.
- UNIDO (2015), what is CSR, What we do, Trade capacity Building-CSR for market integration, United Nations Industrial Development Organization available at the website http://www.unido.org/en/what-we-do/trade/csr/what-is-csr.html
- Velentzas J & Broni G 2010, Ethical Dimensions In The Conduct Of Business: Business Ethics, Corporate Social Responsibility And The Law, The "Ethics In Business" As A Sense Of Business Ethics, International Conference On Applied Economics – ICOAE, 2010.
- Worldbank (2015), Corporate social responsibility available at the website www.info.worldbank.org/etools/docs/library/57434/public_policy_econference.pdf Retrieved on 06.5.2015, 09.00 A.M.