Main Article Content
Social media has transformed and influenced communication, research and education in general through the vast variety of online tools which are available for communication.The objectives of the research study is to examine and analyze the influence of Social Media on the academic Performance of students and their social interpersonal skills.
195 samples were collected from full-time undergraduate students studying in the University from different faculties including business, engineering, law, English Studies and Language Studies. The descriptive statistics analysis was used to analyze the demographic data while inferential statistics was used in testing the research hypotheses. The results obtained from the analyses were used to interpret the outcomes.
The empirical results reveal that the students get to learn through social media differently enabling them new information and are also able to communicate easily with others. The communication exchanged is irrelevant to studies and does not help them in any manner to improve their learning. It is confirmed that the Social Media effects do not support the Learning of the students and most of the students are addicted to social media.
The study confirms that it is good means to approach the students through social media whichmight boost the education in an easier way.
The research work is of its first kind as it focuses on the impact of social media on the academic performances of the students studying in Higher Educational Institutions.
Authors retain the copyright without restrictions for their published content in this journal. IJMIER is SHERPA ROMEO Green Journal.
- Al-Tarawneh, H.A. (2014), “The influence of Social Networks on Students’ Performance,” Journal of Emerging Trends in Computing and Information Sciences,” Vol.5, issue.3, pp.200-205, available at https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/a3a2/492eb9dc2cfcf36848261ae2df5948d55f2e.pdf
- Amin, Z., Mansoor, A., Hussain, S.R., and Hashmat, F. (2016), “Impact of Social Media of Student’s Academic Performance,” International Journal of Business and Management Invention, Vol.5, issue.4, pp.22-29 available at http://www.ijbmi.org/papers/Vol(5)4/version-2/D050402022029.pdf
- Baker, B. (2009), “Your customer is talking - to everyone: Social media is the new channel for Customer Connection,” Information Management, 13th Apr.2009, available at the website http://www.informationmanagement.com/issues/2007_58/business_intelligence_social_media_customer-10015242-1.html
- Boyd, D. (2007), “Why Youth (Heart) Social Network Sites: The Role of Networked Publics in Teenage Social Life”, MacArthur Foundation Series on Digital Learning – Youth, Identity, and Digital Media Volume (ed. David Buckingham), Research Publication No.2007-16, Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, pp.119-142 available at http://doi.org/10.1162/dmal.9780262524834.119
- Butler, B.S. and Matook, S. (2015), “Social Media and Relationships,” The International Encyclopedia of Digital Communication and Society, Wiley-Blackwell, John Wiley and Sons, available at http://doi.org/10.1002/9781118767771.wbiedcs097
- El-Badawy, T.A. and Hashem, Y. (2015), “The Impact of Social Media on the Academic Development of School Students,” International Journal of Business Administration, Vol.6, issue.1, pp.46-52 available at http://dx.doi.org/10.5430/ijba.v6n1p46
- Griffiths, M.D. (2013), “Social Networking Addiction: Emerging Themes and Issues,” Journal of Addiction Research and Therapy, Volume. 4, issue. 5, pp.1-2 available at http://doi.org/10.4172/2155-6105.1000e118
- Hasnain, H., Nasreen, A. and Ijaz, H. (2015), “Impact of Social Media usage on Academic Performance of University Students,” Proceedings of the 2nd International Research Management and Innovation conference, Langkawi, 26-27th Oct.2015, available at http://rmc.kuis.edu.my/irmic/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/IMPACT-OF-SOCIAL-MEDIA-USAGE-ON-ACADEMIC-PERFORMANCE-OF-UNIVERSITY-STUDENTS.pdf
- Jabe, E.C. (2015), “Effects of Social Media on the Academic Performance of University Students in Nigeria: A study of the Rivers State University of Science and Technology, Port Harcourt”, Research Project Report submitted to River State University of Science and Technology, Port Harcourt, DE.2010/PT/1771, Aug.2015, available at http://www.academia.edu/26495256/EFFECTS_OF_SOCIAL_MEDIA_ON_THE_ACADEMIC_PERFORMANCE_OF_UNIVERSITY_STUDENTS_IN_NIGERIA_A_STUDY_OF_THE_RIVERS_STATE_UNIVERSITY_OF_SCIENCE_AND_TECHNOLOGY_PORT_HARCOURT
- Khan, F.R., Hatami, Y.J., Sasisharan, A. and Al-Roshdi, S.A.A. (2017), “Investigative Study on Preferred Social Media Marketing in Safeer Mall, Oman,”Humanities and Social Science Reviews, Vol.5, issue.1, pp.53-63 available at https://doi.org/10.18510/hssr.2017.515
- Khan, F.R., Al-Balushi, H.Y., AlGaithi, A.D., AlShihi, A.A. (2017a), “Impact of Social Media on Customers Satisfaction: Bank Muscat – A Case Study,”Ahead International Journal of Recent Research Review, Vol.1, Issue. 11, pp.154-163.
- Khan, F.R., AlShekili, N., AlBadi, A. and AlKhanbashi, H. (2017). Exploring the impact of Hostel Life of Students on Academic Performance: Sohar University – a case study. Pedagogies: An International Journal, Accepted
- Masters, K. (2015), “Social Networking Addiction among Health Sciences Students in Oman,” Sultan Qaboos University Medical Journal, Vol.15, issue. 3, pp.357-363 available at https://dx.doi.org/10.18295%2Fsqumj.2015.15.03.009
- Mingle, J. and Adams, M. (2015), “Social Media Network Participation and Academic Performance in Senior High Schools in Ghana,”Library Philosophy and Practice, Summer 7-21-2015, Libraries at University of Nebraska-Lincoln, pp.1-51, available at http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=3446&context=libphilprac
- Osharive, P. (2015), “Social Media and Academic Performance of Students,”Research Project submitted to Department of Educational Administration, No.100302125, Faculty of Education, University of Lagos, Jan.2015, available at https://www.researchgate.net/publication/273765340_social_media_and_academic_performance_of_students
- SQUmedia-ar, (2015), “Health Students Addicted to Social Net,” SQU Media, Sultan Qaboos University, Apr.10th 2015, available at https://www.squ.edu.om/squmedia/Details-Page/ArticleID/2969/Health-Science-Students-Addicted-to-Social-Net