Main Article Content
Purpose: The objective of the study is to explore the concept of customer-centricity in Oman and to analyze the challenges of implementing customer-centric innovations, and the strategies in building momentum for the customer-centricity.
Design/methodology/approach: For carrying out the research study, the concept of customer-centric innovation and the current practices by selected top companies of Oman were considered.
Findings: The finding of the empirical study reveals that the organizations in Oman are finding the way to transition from its existing customer-centric approach to a more innovative and technology aligned strategy, keeping the core strategies in place that are focused on operational issues.
Practical Implications: Only a few notable organizations in the country are very open about their initiative to improve customer interaction. It is apparent that organizations in the country are still yet to realize the importance of building core strategies that put customers in the middle. Companies in Oman can drive growth by means of business process improvement that will attract more customers and building stronger business-customer relationships.
Social Implications: There are several ways in which innovation can be integrated into customer-centricity. The technologies available today provide the best tools for improving customer interaction.
Originality/value: No study has investigated before the customer-centric innovation in Oman, and this study will help the organizations especially Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) to plan their strategies accordingly.
Authors retain the copyright without restrictions for their published content in this journal. IJMIER is SHERPA ROMEO Journal.
- Al Amri, B. (2017, May 11, 2017). Social Media Use in Oman Rises to 43pc Oman Observer. Retrieved from http://www.omanobserver.om/social-media-use-oman-rises-43pc/
- AMEInfo. (2015). Customer-centric Approach Boosts Mercedes-Benz Sales in Oman. Retrieved 19.05.2018, from AMEInfo https://ameinfo.com/transportation/customer-centric-approach-boosts-mercedes-benz-sales-oman/
- Bonacchi, M., & Perego, P. (2011). Improving Profitability with Customer‐Centric Strategies: the case of a Mobile Content Provider. Strategic Change, 20(7-8), 253-267. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsc.899
- Bureau. (2018, Sep.4, 2018). Enhanced Customer Centricity, Interview with Emilio Pera-OER Report, Business Live Me. Retrieved from https://www.businessliveme.com/enhanced-customer-centricity/
- Burns, S., Delany, C., Clark, P., & Sterner, D. (2013). The Journey toward Greater Customer Centricity (Publication). (EYG no. EG0131, CSG/GSC2013/1115394). Retrieved 19.05.2018, from Ernst & Young, https://www.ey.com/Publication/vwLUAssets/The_journey_toward_greater_customer_centricity/$FILE/Customer_Centricity_Paper_29_April_Final.pdf
- Chief-Editor. (2017, March 26, 2017). Bank Muscat Outlines Customer-Centric Growth Strategies at Annual Forum, Muscat Daily. Retrieved from https://muscatdaily.com/Archive/Oman/Bank-Muscat-outlines-customer-centric-growth-strategies-at-annual-forum-4zfj
- Deacon, J. H., & Harris, J. (2011). Contextual marketing: A conceptualization of the meaning and operation of a language for marketing in context. Journal of Research in Marketing and Entrepreneurship, 13(2), 146-160. https://doi.org/10.1108/14715201111176435
- Foroudi, P., Gupta, S., Sivarajah, U., & Broderick, A. (2018). Investigating the effects of smart technology on customer dynamics and customer experience. Computers in Human Behavior, 80, 271-282. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2017.11.014
- Goyette, P. (2017). 3 Challenges of a Customer-Centric Culture That Executives Must Overcome. Retrieved 19.05.2018, from Eagle's Flight https://www.eaglesflight.com/blog/3-challenges-of-a-customer-centric-culture-that-executives-must-overcome
- InSites Consulting. (2012). How customer-centric is your organization? Retrieved 03.03.2019, from SAS Institute Inc. https://www.insites-consulting.com/how-customer-centric-is-your-organisation/
- Jirinova, K., & Kolis, K. (2013). Research of Customer-Centric Approach and Involvement of Customers into Innovation Process across Czech SMEs. Paper presented at the 7th International Days of Statistics and Economics, Prague. https://msed.vse.cz/files/2013/116-Jirinova-Katerina-paper.pdf
- Liang, T.-P., & Tanniru, M. (2007). Special Section: Customer-Centric Information Systems. Journal of Management Information Systems, 23(3), 9-15. https://doi.org/10.2753/MIS0742-1222230301
- Marsh, C., Sparrow, P., & Hird, M. (2010). Is Customer Centricity A Movement Or Myth? Opening The Debate For HR. (White Paper 10/03). Lancaster U.K., Lancaster University Management School, Centre for Performance-led HR Retrieved from https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/media/lancaster-university/content-assets/documents/lums/cphr/centricitymyth.pdf.
- Moreno, A. M., & Casillas, J. C. (2008). Entrepreneurial orientation and growth of SMEs: A causal model. Entrepreneurship theory and practice, 32(3), 507-528. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6520.2008.00238.x
- Morrish, S. C., Miles, M. P., & Deacon, J. H. (2010). Entrepreneurial marketing: acknowledging the entrepreneur and customer-centric interrelationship. Journal of Strategic Marketing, 18(4), 303-316. https://doi.org/10.1080/09652541003768087
- Selden, L., & MacMillan, I. C. (2006). Manage customer-centric innovation--systematically. Harvard Business Review, 84(4), 108-116; 149.
- Shah, D., Rust, R. T., Parasuraman, A. P., Staelin, R., & Day, G. S. (2006). The Path to Customer Centricity. Journal of Service Research, 9(2), 113-124. https://doi.org/10.1177/1094670506294666
- Staff Reporter. (2017, Jun.7, 2017). Oman's Mobile Phone Subscriber Base Crosses 7 million, Times of Oman. Retrieved from https://timesofoman.com/article/110822
- Staff Writer. (2018, Sep.12, 2018). House rents fall as increased supply gives tenants leverage to negotiate, Muscat Daily. Retrieved from https://muscatdaily.com/Archive/Oman/House-rents-fall-as-increased-supply-gives-tenants-leverage-to-negotiate-5avq
- Steinhoff, F., & Breuer, H. (2014). Customer-Centric Open R&D and Innovation in the Telecommunication Industry Retrieved 19.05.2018, from Semantics Scholar https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/ae79/5c1337a8adc77c0fea6949093be365aacc4e.pdf
- Times News Service. (2017, Mar.27, 2017). Bank Muscat Annual Forum Focuses on Customer-centric Growth Strategies, Times of Oman. Retrieved from https://www.pressreader.com/oman/times-of-oman/20170327/281840053498722
- Times News Service. (2018, Jan. 28, 2018). Oman to temporarily stop issuing expat visas for 87 jobs, Times of Oman.
- Vaidya, S. K. (2013, June 26, 2013). 65% Mobile Users in Oman Move to Smartphones, Gulf News. Retrieved from https://gulfnews.com/business/65-mobile-users-in-oman-move-to-smartphones-1.1202386
- Yohn, D. L. (2018). 6 Ways to Build a Customer-Centric Culture. Retrieved 05.03.2019, from Harvard Business Review https://hbr.org/2018/10/6-ways-to-build-a-customer-centric-culture.