Main Article Content
Purpose: The study explored the impact of institutional factors have on the university-industry knowledge exchange based on the Sri Lankan university system.
Methodology: The study is quantitative and explanatory by nature and it applied the deductive method and questionnaire survey strategy. The study conducted with minimum interference of researcher and individual academics is the unit of analysis. The types of knowledge interaction, university-industry knowledge exchange, and institutional factors were the independent, dependent and moderating variables respectively. A Structural Equation Model is deployed on collected data to explore the moderating impact of the institutional factor on the university-industry knowledge exchange.
Implications: It implies that the level of joint, contract research activities, human resource mobility, and training of academic staff are largely wider on the conducive environment and sophisticated facilities of the university.
Main Findings: First, study evidence that there are statistically significant impacts of type of interactions and institutional factors on university-industry knowledge exchange. Further, the study confirmed the moderating power of institutional factors over the knowledge exchange process.
Novelty: There is a lack of research literature discussing the moderating effect of institutional factors on the university-industry knowledge exchange process.
Authors retain the copyright without restrictions for their published content in this journal. IJMIER is SHERPA ROMEO Journal.
- Ahrweiler, P., Pyka, A. and Gilbert, N. (2011) ‘A new model for university-industry links in knowledge-based economies’, Journal of Product Innovation Management, 28(2), pp. 218–235. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-5885.2010.00793.x
- Ankrah, S. and Al-tabbaa, O. (2017) ‘Universities-industry collaboration : A systematic review Science Direct Universities-industry collaboration : A systematic review’, Scandinavian Journal of Management. Elsevier Ltd, 31(3), pp. 387–408. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scaman.2015.02.003
- Aronson, Z.H., Lechler, T., Reilly, R.R., Shenhar, A. J. (2001) ‘Project spirit. A strategic concept’, in Portland International Conference on the Management of Engineering and Technology. Portland, pp. 539–544.
- Lee, Y. S. (2000) ‘The Sustainability of University-Industry Research Collaboration ’:, The Journal of Technology Transfer, 25(2), pp. 111–133. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1007895322042
- Perkmann, M., Tartari, V., McKelvey. M., Autio. Erkko.,Brostrom. A., D’Este, P., Fini. R., Geuna. A., Grimaldi, R., Hughes. A., Krabel, S., Kitson. M., Llerena, P., Lissoni, F., Salter, A., Sobrero, M., (2012) ‘Academic engagement and commercialization: A review of the literature on university-industry relations’, Research Policy. Elsevier B.V., 42(2), pp. 423–442. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.respol.2012.09.007
- Baraldi, E., Ingemansson, M., Launberg, A. (2014) ‘Controlling the commercialization of science across organizational borders. Four cases from two major Swedish universities’, Industrial Marketing Management, 43(3), pp. 382–391. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indmarman.2013.12.006
- Bekkers, R., Bodas Freitas, I. M. (2008) ‘Analysing knowledge transfer channels between universities and industry: to what degree do sectors also matter?’, Research Policy, 37, pp. 1837–1853. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.respol.2008.07.007
- Bercovitz, J., Feldmann, M. (2006) ‘Entrepreneurial universities and technology transfer: a conceptual framework for understanding knowledge-based economic development’, Journal of Technology Transfer, 31, pp. 175–188. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10961-005-5029-z
- Blackman, C., Segal, N. (1993) Industry and Higher Education. New York, NY. Pergamon Press.
- Chesbrough, H. (2012) ‘Open Innovation: Where We’ve Been and Where We’re Going', Research-Technology Management, 55(4), pp.20–27, https://doi.org/10.5437/08956308X5504085
- Cricelli, L., Grimaldi, M. (2010) ‘Knowledge-based inter-organizational collaborations’, Journal of Knowledge Management, 14, pp. 348–358. https://doi.org/10.1108/13673271011050094
- D’Este, P., Patel, P. (2007) ‘University-industry linkages in the UK: what are the factors underlying the variety of interactions with industry?’, Research Policy, 36(9), pp. 1295–1313. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.respol.2007.05.002
- Dahlander, L., Gann, D. M. (2010) ‘How open is innovation’, Research Policy, 39, pp. 699–709. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.respol.2010.01.013
- Degl, M., Matousek, R. and Tzeremes, N. G. (2019) ‘The interconnections of academic research and universities ’ “ third mission ”: Evidence from the UK’, Research Policy. Elsevier, (April), pp. 1–13. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.respol.2019.05.002
- Feldman, M. and Baba, M. L. (2015) ‘Multi-Level Issues in Social Systems Article information’.
- Garrick, J., Chan, A., and Lai, J. (2003) ‘University-industry partnerships Implications for industrial training, opportunities for new knowledge’, 28(2), pp. 329–338. https://doi.org/10.1108/03090590410527690
- Giuliani, E., Arza, V. (2009) ‘What drives the formation of “valuable” university-industry linkages? Insights from the wine industry.’, Research Policy, 38, pp. 906–921. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.respol.2010.03.007
- Howells, J., Ramlogan, R. and Cheng, S. L. (2012) ‘Universities in an open innovation system: A UK perspective’, International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behaviour and Research, 18(4), pp. 440–456. https://doi.org/10.1108/13552551211239483
- Jonsson, L., Baraldi.E., Larsson. L., Forsberg, P., Severinsson. (2015) ‘Targeting Academic Engagement in Open Innovation: Tools, Effects and Challenges for University Management’, Journal of the Knowledge Economy, 6(3), pp. 522–550. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13132-015-0254-7
- Josephs Hair, Jf., William, C. Black., Barry, J Babin., R. A. (2009) Multivariate Data Analysis. 7th eds.
- Kitson, M., Hughes, A. (2010) Cambridge Centre for Business Research Survey of Knowledge Exchange Activity by United Kingdom Academics, 2005-2009, [data collection], UK Data Service.
- Kondo, M. (2011) ‘University‐industry collaboration in Japan by technology fields’, Journal of Knowledge-based Innovation in China, 3(1), pp. 15–28. https://doi.org/10.1108/17561411111120846
- Lee, S. M., Hwang, T. and Choi, D. (2012) ‘Open innovation in the public sector of leading countries’, Management Decision, 50(1), pp. 147–162. https://doi.org/10.1108/00251741211194921
- Lipinski, J., Minutolo, M., Crothers, L. M. (2008) ‘The complex relationship driving technology transfer: the potential opportunities missed by universities’, Journal of Behavioral and Applied Management, 9(2), pp. 122–133.
- Melese, T. et al. (2009) ‘Open innovation networks between academia and industry: an imperative for breakthrough therapies’, Nature Medicine, 15(5), pp. 502–507. https://doi.org/10.1038/nm0509-502
- Padilla-Melendez, A. and Garrido-Moreno, A. (2012) ‘Open innovation in universities: What motivates researchers to engage in knowledge transfer exchanges?’, International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behaviour and Research, 18(4), pp. 417–439. https://doi.org/10.1108/13552551211239474
- Perkmann, M., King, Z. and Pavelin, S. (2010) ‘Engaging Excellence ? Effects of Faculty Quality on Industry Engagement Across Disciplines Engaging excellence ? Effects of faculty quality on industry engagement across disciplines’, Higher Education, pp. 1–45.
- Perkmann, M. and Walsh, K. (2007) ‘relationships and open innovation : Towards a research agenda’, 9(4), pp. 259–280. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-2370.2007.00225.x
- Philbin, S. (2008) ‘Process model for university-industry research collaboration’, European Journal of Innovation Management, 11, pp. 488–521. https://doi.org/10.1108/14601060810911138
- Poyago-Theotoky, J., Beath, J. and Siegel, D. S. (2002) ‘Universities and fundamental research: reflections on the growth of university-industry partnerships’, Oxford Review of Economic Policy, 18(1), pp. 10–21. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxrep/18.1.10
- Razak, A. A., and Murray, P. A. (2017) ‘Innovation strategies for successful commercialization in public universities’, International Journal of Innovation Science, 9(3), pp. 296–314. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJIS-05-2017-0035
- Rossi, F., Rosli, A. (2013) ‘Indicators of university-industry knowledge transfer performance and their implications for universities: evidence from the United Kingdom.’, Studi. Higher Education, 40, pp. 1970–1991. https://doi.org/10.1080/03075079.2014.914914
- Scandura, A. (2016) ‘University-industry collaboration and firms’ R & D effort’, Research Policy. Elsevier B.V., 45(9), pp. 1907–1922. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.respol.2016.06.009
- Schartinger, D., Rammer, C., Fischer, M.M., Frohlich, J. (2002) ‘Knowledge interactions between universities and industry in Austria: sectorial patterns and determinants’, Research Policy, 31(1), pp. 303–328. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0048-7333(01)00111-1
- Secundo, G. Toma. A., Schiuma. Passionate. G. (2018) ‘Knowledge transfer in open innovation’, Business Process Management Journal, 25(1), pp. 144–163. https://doi.org/10.1108/BPMJ-06-2017-0173
- Sengupta, A. and Ray, A. S. (2017) ‘University research and knowledge transfer : A dynamic view of ambidexterity in British universities’, Research Policy. Elsevier B.V., 46(5), pp. 881–897. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.respol.2017.03.008
- Siegel, D. S., Waldman, D. and Link, A. (2003) ‘Assessing the impact of organizational practices on the relative productivity of university technology transfer offices: An exploratory study’, Research Policy, 32(1), pp. 27–48. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0048-7333(01)00196-2
- Striukova, L. and Rayna, T. (2015) ‘University-industry knowledge exchange’, European Journal of Innovation Management, 18(4), pp. 471–492. https://doi.org/10.1108/EJIM-10-2013-0098
- Szucs, F. (2018) ‘Research subsidies, industry-university cooperation, and innovation’, Research Policy, 47(7), pp. 1256–1266. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.respol.2018.04.009
- UIDP (2014) ‘10 Case Studies of High-Value, High-Return University-Industry Collaborations’, UIDP Projects. Available at: https://www.uidp.org/wp-content/uploads/documents/Case-Studies-pre-20141.pdf%0Ahttp://file s/4747/Case-Studies-pre-20141.pdf. [Access Date: 5th March 2019]