Main Article Content
Purpose of the Study: The purpose of this study review was to fill the literature gap into the customer quality control on restaurant food and beverage service, with the objective of identifying customer quality control methodologies within the hospitality’s food and beverage operations.
Methodology: For purposes of carrying out the study review, the concept of customer employees encounter in the process of not only creating and offering goods and services but also the quality control aspect, and the various methodologies in doing so were considered and reviewed. The study employed a meta-analysis in gathering, analyzing, presentation and discussion of the study results.
Main Findings: The study review findings reveal that hospitality organizations are facing a drift from the conventional restaurant standard operating procedures in reference to foodservice quality control with the customer taking a central position in the production and presentation of food services.
Limitations: This is a study review and therefore the study findings were arrived at in consideration of mainly secondary sources. Some studies are traditionally region and/ or country-specific and therefore much caution is needed when generalizing the study findings.
Social implications: There is a myriad of ways through which restaurant food service quality control can be integrated into the customer employee service encounter. They reviewed three main methodologies in this study review may provide the best tools not only for quality control function but also build confidence among the customer base, thus yielding customer satisfaction and retention on the one hand, while creating business sustainability on the other hand.
Originality: This study will, therefore, help the hospitality restaurant business to appreciate the role of customers in the process of quality services provision, thus enable organizations to achieve a strategic business competitive position.
Authors retain the copyright without restrictions for their published content in this journal. IJMIER is SHERPA ROMEO Journal.
- Ala' Nimer, Abukhalifeh & Puad Mat (11th - 12th June 2012.). Guest Satisfaction and Loyalty in Food and Bevarage Service. 2nd International Conference On Management (pp. 996-1008). Holiday Villa Beach Resort & Spa, Langkawi Kedah, Malaysia: Researchgate.
- Ali F., Ryan K. & Hussain K., (2016). Creative Tourists' experience, memories, satisfaction and behavioural intentions. Journal of Travel & Tourism. , 85-100, Vol. 33(1). https://doi.org/10.1080/10548408.2015.1038418
- Al Khattab S. (2011). Perceptions of service quality in Jordanian Hotels. International Journal of Business Management, Vol. 6(7), 226-231. https://doi.org/10.5539/ijbm.v6n7p226
- Amorim, Rosa & Santos. (2014). Managing Customer Participation and Customer Interactions in service delivery: The case of Museums and Educational Services. Application of Quality Management, Volume 47, No.3. , 166-176. https://doi.org/10.2478/orga-2014-0015
- Ford, R & Heaton C. (2001). Managing your guets as a quasi employee. Cornel Hotel and Restaurant Administration Quartely. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0010-8804(01)80038-0
- Bach S. & Ford, R. (1997). "Measuring Hotel Service Quality: Tools for Gaining the competitive Edge". Hospitality Review Vol. 15, Iss. 1, Article 8.
- Baharun R., & Naderian. (2015). The role of Service Quality and Relationship Marketing in Hospitality. International Journal of Economics, Commerce and Management, Vo. III, Issue 3 , 1-15.
- Bigler L, Hoaas D. (2016). The Relationship between tipping and Service Quality: The other side of the Equation. Southwestern Economic Review Proceedings (pp. 1726). Louisiana: Centenary College.
- Bitner, M. (1997). Customer contribution and roles in service delivery. International Journal of Service Industry Management, Vol. 8. , 193-205. https://doi.org/10.1108/09564239710185398
- Bitner, M., Boom, M., & Stanfield, T. (1990). The Service Encounter: Diagnosing Favourable and Unfavourable Incidents. Journal of Marketing, Volume 54, No. 1, 71 - 84. https://doi.org/10.1177/002224299005400105
- Bodvarson & Gibson. (2002). Tipping and Service Quality: A reply to Lynn. Social Science Journal Vol. 39, No. 3 , 13-76. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0362-3319(02)00199-4
- Carev, D. (2008). Guest satisfaction and loyalty study for hotels industry. Thesis. Rochester Institute of Technology, accessed from http://scholarworks.rit.edu/theses
- Chakraborty, S. (2017). Influence of brand loyalty and brand switchers on marketing of mobile phones. Asian Resource, Vol. 6 Issue 3 , 42-44.
- Charity M. & Kazembe., (2014). The Perception of Employees towards Tipping and Motivation in the Hotel Industry. African Journal of Hospitality, Tourism and Leisure, Vol. 3, Issue 1. , 1-14.
- Chen, Raab & Tanfood. (2015). Antecedents of Mandatory Participation in Service encounters: An empirical study. International Journal of Hospitality Management, Vol. 46, Issue 3. , 65-75. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhm.2015.01.012
- Claycomb, C. (2001). The customer as a production Resource: A pilot study and strtegic implications. Journal of Bussiness strategy.
- Concern Tourism, (2013). The Impacts of All-Inclusive Hotels on Working Conditions and Labour Rights in Barbados, Kenya and Tenerife. TourismConcern.
- Conie M, Sparks C & Kandapully J. (2013). Service Quality in Hospitality, Tourism and Leisure. New York: Taylor & Francis
- Dong B, Sivakumar, K. & Zou. (2015). Recovering Coproduced Service Failures. Antecedents, Consequences and Moderators of Locus of Recovery. Journal of Research. https://doi.org/10.1177/1094670516630624
- Falk A. & Fischbacher U. (2006). A thery of reciprocity. Games and Economic Behaviour , 293-315, Vol. 54. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geb.2005.03.001
- Grandbois Y. (2016). Service science and the information proffesional. New York: Elsevier Ltd.
- Jensen M, C. & Meckling W, H., (1976). Theory of the Firm: Managerial behaviour, agency costs and ownersip structure. Journal of Financial Economics, Volume 3, Issue 4., Pages 305-360. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-405X(76)90026-X
- Kandapully, J., & Suhartanto, D. (2000). Customer Loyalty in the Hotel Industry: The role of customer Satisfaction and Image. International Journal of contemporary hospitality management, 12 (6)., 346 - 351. https://doi.org/10.1108/09596110010342559
- Kotler, P., Bowel, J., & Makens, J. (2010).Marketing for Hospitality and Tourism, London: Hodder Education.
- Ladhari R. (2009). Service Quality, Emotional satisfaction and behavioral intentions. A study in the hotel Industry. Journal of managing service quality. Emerald Group Publishing Limited, Vol.19 (3), 309-331. https://doi.org/10.1108/09604520910955320
- Langnick-Hall, A. (1996). Customer contribution to quality: A different view of the customer-oriented firm. Academy of management review, 21 (3)., 791 - 824. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1996.9702100315
- Liat, Mansori, Chuan & Imrie., (2017). Hotel Service Recovery and Service Quality: Influences of Corporate Image and Generational Differences between Customer Satisfaction and Loyalty. Journal of Global Marketing, Vol. 30; Issue 1 , 19-42. https://doi.org/10.1080/08911762.2016.1262932
- Lillicrap D,& Cousins J. (2014). Food and Beverage Service, 12th Ed. London: Hodder Education.
- Lugosi P. (2007). Consumer participation in commercial hospitality. International Journal of culture, Tourism and Hospitality Research, Vol. 1,No.3. https://doi.org/10.1108/17506180710817756
- Lynn M. (2006). Race Differences in Restaurant Tipping. Journal of Food Service Busiiness Research, Vol. 9, Issue 4. , 99-113. https://doi.org/10.1300/J369v09n04_07
- Lynn M. (2015). Service Gratuities and Tipping: A motivational Framework. Journal of Economic Psychology, Vol. 4, Issue 6 , 74-88. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joep.2014.12.002
- Lynn M, Jabbour P & Kim G. (2012). Who uses tips as a reward for service and when? An examination of potential moderators of the service-tipping relationship. Journal of Economic Psychology. , 90-103, Vol. 33, Issue 1. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joep.2011.09.009
- Lynn & Sturman (2010). Tipping and Service Quality: A within subjects Analysis. Journal of Tourism and Hospitality Research Vol. 2, Issue 1 , 269-275. https://doi.org/10.1177/1096348009350637
- Margalioth Y, Sapriti A. & Coloma G (2010). The social norm of tipping, its correlation with inequality, and differences in tax treatment across Countries. Theoretical Inquiries in Law, 11(2) , 1509-1565. https://doi.org/10.2202/1565-3404.1252
- Megan N. (2017). A case study in tipping: An economic Anomaly Crossing boarders. A multidisciplinary Journal of undergraduate scholarship .
- Milos B, Young Soo C, Parsa H & Matt K. (2013). Tipping Practices in Food and Beverage Operations: A longitudinal study. Journal of Culinary Science and Technology, Vol. 1, Issue 3.
- Mohsin A. (2012). Exploring service quality in luxury hotels: Case of Lahore, Pakistan. The Journal of American Academy of Bussines, Cambridge, Vol.16(2), 296-303.
- Mukhles M., (2016). Employee Perspectives of Service Quality in Hotels. Research in Hospitality Management, Vol. 6, Issue 2 , 189-194. https://doi.org/10.1080/22243534.2016.1253287
- Musaba N, & Musaba E, & Hoabeb (2014). Employee aperception of Service Quality in the Namibian Hotel Industry: A SERVQUAL Approach. International Journal of Asian Social Science, Vol.4, Issue 4 , 533-543.
- Nadeliakova, Stefancova & Kudlac. (2017). Six Sigma models application as an important quality management tool in railway companies. 10th International Scientific Conference transbaltica 2017: Transportation Science and Technology, Procedia Engineering. (pp. 241-248). Slovakia: Elsevier. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2017.04.371
- Namasivayam, K. & Hinkin T. (2003). The customers Role in the Service Encounter: The effects of Control and fairness. Cornel Hotel and Restuarant Quartely, Volume 44, Issue 3. , 26-36. https://doi.org/10.1177/001088040304400303
- Nguyen Hue, Nguyen Thu Ha, Phan Chi & Yoshiki. (2015). Service Quality and Customer Satisfaction: A case Study of Hotel Industry in Vietnam. Asian Social Sciences, Vol.11, No. 10, 73-85. https://doi.org/10.5539/ass.v11n10p73
- Parasuraman A, Zeithmal V, and Berry L. (1988). SERVQUAL: A multiple-item scale for Measuring Consumer perception of service quality. Journal of Retailing. , 14-40, Vol.64 (1).
- Prahalad C, &. Ramaswamy V. (2000). Co-opting customer competition. Havard Bussiness Review, Vol. 78, No. 1.
- Presbury R. (2005). Impediments to Improvement to service quality in luxury hotels. Managing service quality, Vol. 15, No. 4. https://doi.org/10.1108/09604520510606835
- Rajatis & Nikseresht F. (2016). Explation of the role of customer participation on customers compatibility and satisfaction. International Journal of Humanities and Cultural Studies, Special Januaru Issue. , 2664-2674.
- Rauch D, Collins M, Nale R & Barr B. (2015). Measuring Quality in mid-scale hotels. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality management. , 87-106, Vol. 27 (1). https://doi.org/10.1108/IJCHM-06-2013-0254
- Stephen J, Kevia M & Mike B. (2011). Customer Perceived Service Quality in Fast Foods. Eduactaors Conference (pp. 1-19). Drury Plaza at the Arch, St. Louis: Marketing Management Association.
- Staus, Robbert & Roth. (2016). Customer Participation in the customization of service. Effects of satisfaction and Behavioural intentions. Kaiserslautern, Germany: University of Kaiserslautern.
- Suhartanto & Kandampully. (2000). Customer Loayalty in the Hotel Industry: The role of Customer Satisfaction and Image. International Journal of Hospitality Management, Vol. 12; issue 6 , 346-351. https://doi.org/10.1108/09596110010342559
- Susskind, A. (2002). "I told you So": Restaurant customers' word-of-mouth communication patterns. Cornel Hospitality Quarterly, 75-85, No. 43. https://doi.org/10.1177/001088040204300208
- Wang S. & Lynn M. (2013). The indirect effects of tipping policilies on patronage intentions through perceived expensiveness, fairness and quality. Journal of Economic Psychology. , 62-71, Vol. 31. An emarging model. Cornell Hospitality Quarterly. , 17-26, Vol.43 (4). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joep.2013.07.003
- Walsh, G., Klinner, & Nicole, S., (2013). Customer perception of discrimination in service deliveries: Construction and validation of a measurement instrument. Journal of Bussiness Research. , 651-658, Vol. 66, Issue 5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2012.06.008
- Wang, L., (2010). An Investigation and analysis of U.S. restaurant tipping practices and the relationship to service quality with recommendations for field application. UNLV Theses, Dissertations, Professional Papers, and Capstones. 659. http://digitalscholarship.unlv.edu/thesesdissertations/659
- Wang, S., & Lynn, M., (2013). The indirect effects of tipping policilies on patronage intentions through perceived expensiveness, fairness and quality. Journal of Economic Psychology. , 62-71, Vol. 31. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joep.2013.07.003
- Were, S., Miricho, N,. & Maranga, V. (2019, Volume 19 Issue 5 Version 1.0). A review of Hospitality's Restaurant Operations: An explanation of the Tipping Phenomonen. Global Journal of Management and Bussiness Research: Administration and Management., 51 - 55. https://doi.org/10.18510/ijthr.2018.512
- Vasile. (2009). Customer Contribution to Improving Service Quality in the Hospitality Industry. The AMFITEATTRU Economic Journal, Academy of Economic studies - Bucharest, Romania, Volume 11 (36)., 441 - 450.