Main Article Content
Purpose of the study: This study is focused to investigate the determinants of the entrepreneurial intention of Technical Vocational Education and Training (TVET) students in Sri Lanka.
Methodology: The research model comprises seven independent variables i.e. entrepreneurial attitude, perceived self-efficacy, social capital, demographic factors, perceived financial support, perceived regulatory support, perceived technical vocational education, and training and dependent variables of entrepreneurial intention. The primary data was collected through administering structured questionnaires among a hundred and twenty-eight TVET students represented by three TVET sector institutions in Sri Lanka. Linear regression was applied to test the hypotheses.
Main Findings: The findings of the study revealed a positive and significant impact of the variables of entrepreneurial attitudes and perceived technical vocational education and training on entrepreneurial intention of TVET students of Sri Lanka. TVET student attitudes pertaining to entrepreneurship intention are positive since they perceive that TVET enhances their entrepreneurship education and this is very important to the policymakers in entrepreneurship development to initiate effective strategies to foster entrepreneurship for TVET students.
Implications: This research study provides an academic contribution to enhance the entrepreneurial intention among the TVET students in Sri Lanka.
Authors retain the copyright without restrictions for their published content in this journal. IJMIER is SHERPA ROMEO Journal.
- Adler, P. S., & Kwon, S.-W. (2000). Social capital: the good, the bad, and the ugly. In Knowledge and social capital, 89-115, Elsevier. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-7506-7222-1.50008-8
- Ajzen, I. (1991). The theory of planned behavior. Organizational behavior and human decision processes, 50(2), 179-211. https://doi.org/10.1016/0749-5978(91)90020-T
- Amos, A., & Alex, K. (2014). Theory of planned Behavior, contextual elements, demographic factors and entrepreneurial intentions of students in Kenya. European journal of Business and Management, 6(15), 167-175.
- Bae, T. J., Qian, S., Miao, C., & Fiet, J. O. (2014). The relationship between entrepreneurship education and entrepreneurial intentions: A meta‐analytic review. Entrepreneurship theory and practice, 38(2), 217-254. https://doi.org/10.1111/etap.12095
- Balasundaram, N. (2010). Entrepreneurship Development Through Business Education in Sri Lanka : A country profile.
- Bausch, S., Michel, A., & Sonntag, K. (2014). How gender influences the effect of age on self‐efficacy and training success. International Journal of Training and Development, 18(3), 171-187. https://doi.org/10.1111/ijtd.12027
- Biavaschi, C., Eichhorst, W., Giulietti, C., Kendzia, M. J., Muravyev, A. P., & Pieters, J. (2013). J., Rodríguez-Planas, N., Schmidl, R. & Zimmermann, KF (2012). Youth Unemployment and Vocational Training.
- Bosma, N., Van Praag, M., Thurik, R., & De Wit, G. (2004). The value of human and social capital investments for the business performance of startups. Small Business Economics, 23(3), 227-236. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:SBEJ.0000032032.21192.72
- Boyd, N. G., & Vozikis, G. S. (1994). The influence of self-efficacy on the development of entrepreneurial intentions and actions. Entrepreneurship theory and practice, 18(4), 63-77. https://doi.org/10.1177/104225879401800404
- Buli, B. M., & Yesuf, W. M. (2015). Determinants of entrepreneurial intentions: Technical-vocational education and training students in Ethiopia. Education+ Training, 57(8/9), 891-907. https://doi.org/10.1108/ET-10-2014-0129
- Chaudhary, R. (2017). Demographic factors, personality and entrepreneurial inclination: A study among Indian university students. Education+ Training, 59(2), 171-187. https://doi.org/10.1108/ET-02-2016-0024
- Chen, W. Y., Weng, C. S., & Hsu, H. Y. (2010). A study of the entrepreneurship of Taiwanese youth by the Chinese Entrepreneur Aptitude Scale. Journal of Technology management in China, 5(1), 26-39. https://doi.org/10.1108/17468771011032778
- Crant, J. M. (1996). The proactive personality scale as a predictor of entrepreneurial intentions. Journal of small business management, 34(3), 42.
- De Carolis, D. M., & Saparito, P. (2006). Social capital, cognition, and entrepreneurial opportunities: A theoretical framework. Entrepreneurship theory and practice, 30(1), 41-56. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6520.2006.00109.x
- Devonish, D., Alleyne, P., Charles-Soverall, W., Young Marshall, A., & Pounder, P. (2010). Explaining entrepreneurial intentions in the Caribbean. International journal of entrepreneurial behavior & research, 16(2), 149-171. https://doi.org/10.1108/13552551011027020
- Drnovsek, M., Wincent, J., & Cardon, M. S. (2010). Entrepreneurial self-efficacy and business start-up: developing a multi-dimensional definition. International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behavior & Research, 16(4), 329-348. https://doi.org/10.1108/13552551011054516
- Elali, W., & Al-Yacoub, B. (2016). Factors affecting entrepreneurial intentions among Kuwaitis. World Journal of Entrepreneurship, Management and Sustainable Development, 12(1), 18-34. https://doi.org/10.1108/WJEMSD-07-2015-0029
- Ghosh, S. (2017). Regulation and entrepreneurial intention: cross-country evidence. Journal of Entrepreneurship and Public Policy, 6(2), 193-205. https://doi.org/10.1108/JEPP-02-2017-0004
- Gnyawali, D. R., & Fogel, D. S. (1994). Environments for entrepreneurship development: key dimensions and research implications. Entrepreneurship theory and practice, 18(4), 43-62. https://doi.org/10.1177/104225879401800403
- Hatak, I., Harms, R., & Fink, M. (2015). Age, job identification, and entrepreneurial intention. Journal of Managerial Psychology, 30(1), 38-53. https://doi.org/10.1108/JMP-07-2014-0213
- Iakovleva, T., Kolvereid, L., & Stephan, U. (2011). Entrepreneurial intentions in developing and developed countries. Education+ Training, 53(5), 353-370. https://doi.org/10.1108/00400911111147686
- Ibrahim, M. (2016). Evaluating hotel websites as a marketing communication channel: A dialogic perspective. Information Development, 32(3), 718-727. https://doi.org/10.1177/0266666915570506
- Krueger Jr, N. F., Reilly, M. D., & Carsrud, A. L. (2000). Competing models of entrepreneurial intentions. Journal of business venturing, 15(5-6), 411-432. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0883-9026(98)00033-0
- Krueger, N. F., & Carsrud, A. L. (1993). Entrepreneurial intentions: applying the theory of planned Behavior. Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, 5(4), 315-330. https://doi.org/10.1080/08985629300000020
- Lee, S. H., & Wong, P. K. (2004). An exploratory study of technopreneurial intentions: A career anchor perspective. Journal of business venturing, 19(1), 7-28. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0883-9026(02)00112-X
- Liñán, F., & Chen, Y. W. (2009). Development and Cross‐Cultural application of a specific instrument to measure entrepreneurial intentions. Entrepreneurship theory and practice, 33(3), 593-617. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6520.2009.00318.x
- Linan, F., & Santos, F. J. (2007). Does social capital affect entrepreneurial intentions? International Advances in Economic Research, 13(4), 443-453. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11294-007-9109-8
- Luthje, C., & Franke, N. (2003). The “making” of an entrepreneur: testing a model of entrepreneurial intent among engineering students at MIT. R&d Management, 33(2), 135-147. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-9310.00288
- Marlow, S., & Patton, D. (2005). All credit to men? Entrepreneurship, finance, and gender. Entrepreneurship theory and practice, 29(6), 717-735. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6520.2005.00105.x
- Marques, C. S., Ferreira, J. o. J., Gomes, D. N., & Gouveia Rodrigues, R.(2012). Entrepreneurship education: How psychological, demographic and Behavioral factors predict the entrepreneurial intention. Education+ Training, 54(8/9), 657-672. https://doi.org/10.1108/00400911211274819
- Ministry of Youth Affairs and Skills Development. (2013). Performance Report. Sri Lanka.
- Misra, S., & Kumar, E. S. (2000). Resourcefulness: A proximal conceptualisation of entrepreneurial Behavior. The Journal of Entrepreneurship, 9(2), 135-154. https://doi.org/10.1177/097135570000900201
- Moriano, J. A., Gorgievski, M., Laguna, M., Stephan, U., & Zarafshani, K. (2012). A cross-cultural approach to understanding entrepreneurial intention. Journal of career development, 39(2), 162-185. https://doi.org/10.1177/0894845310384481
- Neuberger, D., & Räthke, S. (2009). Microenterprises and multiple bank relationships: The case of professionals. Small Business Economics, 32(2), 207-229. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11187-007-9076-8
- Sandirasegarane, S., Sutermaster, S., Gill, A., Volz, J., & Mehta, K. (2016). Context-driven entrepreneurial education in vocational schools. International Journal for Research in Vocational Education and Training, 3(2), 106-126. https://doi.org/10.13152/IJRVET.3.2.3
- Saunders, M., Lewis, P., & Thornhill, A. (2009). Research methods for business students fifth edition (fifth).
- Schwarz, E. J., Wdowiak, M. A., Almer-Jarz, D. A., & Breitenecker, R. J. (2009). The effects of attitudes and perceived environment conditions on students' entrepreneurial intent: An Austrian perspective. Education+ Training, 51(4), 272-291. https://doi.org/10.1108/00400910910964566
- Shapero, A., & Sokol, L. (1982). The social dimensions of entrepreneurship. Encyclopedia of entrepreneurship, 72-90.
- Turker, K., & Selcuk, G. (2008). Toward an Integrated Model of Work Experience. Personnel Psychology, 5(0), 2.
- Urban, B., & Kujinga, L. (2017). The institutional environment and social entrepreneurship intentions. International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behavior & Research, 23(4), 638-655. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJEBR-07-2016-0218
- Wilson, M., & Byers, T. (2017). Relationship Between Self-Efficacy and Work Experience in Baccalaureate Junior and Senior Level Nursing Students,Williams Honors College, Honors Research Projects. 429. https://ideaexchange.uakron.edu/honors_research_projects/429
- Wilson, F., Kickul, J., & Marlino, D. (2007). Gender, entrepreneurial self–efficacy, and entrepreneurial career intentions: Implications for entrepreneurship education. Entrepreneurship theory and practice, 31(3), 387-406. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6520.2007.00179.x
- Yukongdi, V., & Lopa, N. Z. (2017). Entrepreneurial intention: a study of individual, situational and gender differences. Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development. https://doi.org/10.1108/JSBED-10-2016-0168