Main Article Content
Purpose of the study: This study purposes to recognize the determining factor of entrepreneurial intentions on public University students in Surabaya. We want to know about the differentiation of entrepreneurship intention students from business and engineering students. This research intends to prove that there are differences in entrepreneurship interests between these two groups of students and can prove that there are differences between these two groups of students.
Methodology: Quantitative research is a type of research. The method of this research uses multiple regression (one dependent and four independent variables) with sample size are 92 students (56 business and 36 engineering students) in Surabaya. The researcher uses SPPS (Statistical Package for the Social Sciences) IBM Version 20.0 software to analyze the data.
Main Findings: The result of this research indicates the differentiation of business and engineering students. For a business student, three variables (need for achievement, locus of control and instrument of readiness) have a significant and positive effect on entrepreneurship intention. But for engineering student, all variables (need for achievement, locus of control, self-efficacy and instrument of readiness) have not a significant effect on entrepreneurship intention.
Applications of this study: The university can also adjust its curriculum based on the results of this study so that it can effectively increase the intention and attitude to apply the entrepreneurship skills of university students. The application of this research is to build ways to increase entrepreneurial interest in students. this improvement can be done in different ways between business and engineering students.
Novelty/Originality of this study: Studies on the application of entrepreneurship intention has been done a lot, especially in identifying the factors that determine entrepreneurship intention r. However, research that focuses on entrepreneurship intention, from business and engineering. While this object is very significant because university students are expected to become prospective entrepreneurs who are able to support the economic growth of a country.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors retain ownership of the copyright for their content published in this journal.
- Ashar, K., Kusmintarti, A., Maskie, G., & Thoyib, A. (2014). The Relationships among Entrepreneurial Characteristics, Entrepreneurial Attitude, and Entrepreneurial Intention. IOSR Journal of Business and Management, 16(6), 25–32. https://doi.org/10.9790/487X-16622532
- Aslam, S., & Hasnu, S. A. F. (2016). Issues and constraints perceived by young entrepreneurs of Pakistan. World Journal of Entrepreneurship, Management and Sustainable Development, 12(1), 50–65. https://doi.org/10.1108/WJEMSD-03-2015-0015
- Bae, T. J., Qian, S., Miao, C., & Fiet, J. O. (2014). The Relationship Between Entrepreneurship Education and Entrepreneurial Intentions: A Meta-Analytic Review. Entrepreneurship: Theory and Practice, 38(2), 217–254. https://doi.org/10.1111/etap.12095
- Bharanti, bonifasia E. (2016). Determinant of entrepreneurial intention of papuan student. Journal of Education and Vocational Research, 7(1), 41–47.
- Darmanto, S., & Yuliari, G. (2018). Mediating role of entrepreneurial self efficacy in developing entrepreneurial. Academy of Entreprenuership Journal, 24(1), 1–15.
- Ferreira, J., Raposo, L., & Rodrigues, R. G. (2012). A model of entrepreneurial intention An application of the psychological and behavioral approaches. Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development, 19(3), 424–440. https://doi.org/10.1108/14626001211250144
- Fini, R., Grimaldi, R., Marzocchi, G. L., & Sobrero, M. (2012). The determinants of corporate entrepreneurial intention within small and newly established firms. Entrepreneurship: Theory and Practice. In 36(2) (pp. 387–414). https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6520.2010.00411.x
- Indarti, N., & Krinstiansen, S. (2018). DETERMINANTS OF ENTREPRENEURIAL INTENTION: The Case of Norwegian Students. Gadjah Mada International Journal of Business, 5(1), 79. https://doi.org/10.22146/gamaijb.5392
- Karabulut, A. T. (2016). Personality Traits on Entrepreneurial Intention. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 229, 12–21. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2016.07.109
- Kristiansen, S., & Indarti, N. (2004). Entrepreneurial intention among Indonesian and Norwegian students”, Journal of Enterprising Culture. Journal of Enterprising Culture, 12(1), 55–78. https://doi.org/10.1142/S021849580400004X
- Luca, M. R., Cazan, A. M., & Tomulescu, D. (2012). To be or not to be an entrepreneur... In Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences (Vol. 33, pp. 173–177). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2012.01.106
- Minuto, U. (2018). Characterization of entrepreneurial intention in university students as from Systemic Entrepreneurship Intention Model : a case study Caracterización de la intención emprendedora en estudiantes universitarios a partir del Modelo de Intención Emprendedora. Cuadernos de Gestión, 18(2), 95–114. https://doi.org/10.5295/cdg.160670jt
- Pillis, E. De, & Reardon, K. K. (2007). The influence of personality traits and persuasive messages on entrepreneurial intention. Career Development International, 12(4), 382–3896. https://doi.org/10.1108/13620430710756762
- Pretheeba, P. (2014). Predicting Entrepreneurial Intention among Business and Engineering Students in Sri Lanka. Ruhuna Journal of Management and Finance, 1(1), 25–36.
- Rachmawan, A., Aprilianti, A., Wustari, L., & Mangundjaya, L. H. (2015). The role of parent’s influence and self-efficacy on entrepreneurial intention. The Journal of Developing Areas, 49(3). https://doi.org/10.1353/jda.2015.0157
- Remeikiene, R., Startiene, G., & Dumciuviene, D. (2013). Explaining Entrepreneurial Intention of University Students: the Role of Entrepreneurial Education. International Conference of Managemement, Knowledge and Learning, 299–307.
- Rokhman, W., & Ahamed, F. (2015). The Role of Social and Psychological Factors on Entrepreneurial Intention among Islamic College Students in Indonesia. Entrepreneurial Business and Economics Review, 3(1), 29–42. https://doi.org/10.15678/EBER.2015.030103
- Samydevan, V., Piaralal, S., Othman, abd kadir, & Osman, Z. (2015). Impact of Psychological Traits, Entrepreneurial Education and Culture in Determining Entrepreneurial Intention among Pre-University Students in Malaysia. American Journal of Economics, 5(2), 163–167.
- Sekaran, U., & Bougie, R. (2016). Research methods for business a skill-building approach. Chichester, West Sussex, United Kingdom John Wiley & Sons.
- Sesen, H. (2013). Personality or environment? A comprehensive study on the entrepreneurial intentions of university students. Education + Training, 55(7), 624–640. https://doi.org/10.1108/ET-05-2012-0059
- Tessema Gerba, D. (2012). Impact of entrepreneurship education on entrepreneurial intentions of business and engineering students in Ethiopia. African Journal of Economic and Management Studies, 3(2), 258–277. https://doi.org/10.1108/20400701211265036
- Thaief, I., & Musdalifah. (2015). effect of locus of control entrepreneurship intention.pdf. International Business Management, 9(5), 798–804.
- Thompson, E. K. (2009). Individual entrepreneurial intent: construct clarification and development of an internationally reliable metric. Entrepreneurship: Theory and Practice,. In 33(3) (pp. 669–694). https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6520.2009.00321.x
- Yukongd, I, V., & Lopa, N. Z. (2017). Entrepreneurial intention: a study of individual, situational and gender differences. Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development, 24(2), 333–352. https://doi.org/10.1108/JSBED-10-2016-0168