Main Article Content
Purpose of the study: This study aims at describing the concept of leadership, exploring the relationship between leadership and characters in human resource management, and analyzing critically how the character in leadership becomes an essential factor in developing the quality of human resources in an organization or in an institution.
Methodology: This article is descriptive qualitative research using observational data supported by literature studies. The data were collected by observing cases related to leadership character in human resources. Besides, online literature studies were also conducted to map supporting data related to leadership character in human resources. Data were analyzed using a descriptive critical review.
Main findings: This study showed three tendencies on the character of leadership in an organization. Those are, (a) Character understanding and implementation in leadership practice to manage human resources. The leader character becomes exemplary in managing the human resources in an organization. (b) A leader character is manifested in his leadership characters to manage the human resources of the organization. A leader's individual character has the potential to influence his employee’s characters. (c) Character in leadership becomes the main factor in affecting the development of human resources quality in a certain organization.
Implications: The development of human resources quality in an organization or in an institution could be well-established through the implementation of the three lead characters as found in this study, i.e., exemplary, spirituality, and ethics.
Novelty/Originality of this study: In fact, the three characters of the leadership; exemplary, spirituality, and ethics are not only becoming the major instruments in developing the quality of the human resources in an organization or in an institution and but also being the basic and the fundamental needs that a leader must have in organizing and leading an organization or an institution.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors retain the copyright without restrictions for their published content in this journal. IJMIER is SHERPA ROMEO Journal.
- Abdullah, I., Jubba, H., Pabbajah, M., Sari, I. P., Zuhri, S., & Ernas, S. (2019). From Selfism to Indifferentism: Challenges Facing Indonesian Society and Culture, 2015–2045. Academic Journal of Interdisciplinary Studies. 8 (3), 102–112. https://doi.org/10.36941/ajis-2019-0009
- Aidt, T., & Rauh, C. (2018). The Big Five Personality Traits and Partisanship in England. Electoral Studies, 54, 1–21. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.electstud.2018.04.017
- Alkahtani, A. H., Abu-Jarad, I., Sulaiman, M., & Nikbin, D. (2011). The Impact of Personality and Leadership Styles on Leading Change Capability of Malaysian Managers. Australian Journal of Business and Management Research, 1 (2), 70.http://ajbmr.com/articlepdf/ajbmr_v01n02_06.pdf
- Antes, A. L., Mart, A., & DuBois, J. M. (2016). Our Leadership and Management Essential for Good Research? An Interview Study of Genetic Researchers. Journal of Empirical Research on Human Research Ethics, 11 (5), 408–423. https://doi.org/10.1177/1556264616668775
- Avolio, B. J., Sosik, J. J., & Berson, Y. (2012). Leadership Models, Methods, and Applications: Progress and Remaining Blind Spots. Handbook of psychology. https://doi.org/10.1002/9781118133880.hop212015
- Baharuddin, B. (2018). Spiritual Moral Approach in Realizing the Effectiveness of School Leadership. Edumaspul Journal of Education, 1 (1), 28–41. https://doi.org/10.33487/edumaspul.v1i1.38
- Barlow, C. B., Jordon, M. & Hendrix, W. H. (2003). Character Assessment: An examination of Leadership Levels. Journal of Business and Psychology, 17(4), 563-584. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1023408403204
- Brown, M. E., & Trevino, L. K., & Harrison, D. (2005). Ethical Leadership: A Social Learning Perspective for Construct Development and Testing. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 97,117-134. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.obhdp.2005.03.002
- Burgess, S. W., & Martin-Jones, K. (2020). Spiritual Leadership. The Routledge Companion to Inclusive Leadership (pp. 238–249). https://doi.org/10.4324/9780429294396-23
- Bush, T. (2018). Distributed Leadership and Bureaucracy: Changing Fashions in Educational Leadership. Educational Management Administration & Leadership, 47 (1), 3–4. https://doi.org/10.1177/1741143218806704
- Bush, T., & Glover, D. (2016). School of Leadership and Management in South Africa. International Journal of Educational Management, 30 (2), 211-231. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJEM-07-2014-0101
- Central Bureau of Statistics. (2019). February 2019: Open Unemployment Rate (TPT) of 5.01 percent. 2019-05-06, 41, 1–16. https://www.bps.go.id/pressrelease/2019/05/06/1564/februari-2019--Tingkat-pengangguran-terbuka--pt--sebesar-5-01-persen.html
- Conger, J. A. & Kanungo, R, N. (1998). Charismatic Leadership in Organizations. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage. (Colvin, G. (2003). Corporate Crooks are Not All Created Equal. Fortune, 10,145-179.
- Connolly, M., James, C., & Fertig, M. (2017). The Difference between Educational Management and Educational Leadership and the Importance of Educational Responsibility. Educational Management Administration & Leadership, 174114321774588. h https://doi.org/10.1177/1741143217745880
- Clarke, N. (2013). Model of Complexity Leadership Development. Human Resource Development International, 16 (2), 135-150. https://doi.org/10.1080/13678868.2012.756155
- Coffman, L. C. (2011). Intermediation Reduces Punishment (and reward). American Economic Journal: Microeconomics, 3 (4), 77-106. https://doi.org/10.1257/mic.3.4.77
- Crossan, M., Seijts, G., & Gandz, J. (2015). Developing Leadership Character. Developing Leadership Character. https://doi.org/10.4324/9781315739809
- Danişman, Ş., Tosuntaş, Ş. B., & Karadağ, E. (2015). The Effect of Leadership on Organizational Performance. Leadership and Organizational Outcomes: Meta-Analysis of Empirical Studies (pp. 143–168). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-14908-0_9
- Dauvrin, M., & Lorant, V. (2015). Leadership and Cultural Competence of Healthcare Professionals. Nursing Research, 64(3), 200–210. https://doi.org/10.1097/NNR.0000000000000092
- Egel, E., & Fry, L. W. (2017). Spiritual Leadership as a Model for Islamic Leadership. Public Integrity, 19 (1), 77–95. https://doi.org/10.1080/10999922.2016.1200411
- Elizondo, E. S. (2016). Morality is its own Reward. Kantian Review, 21 (03), 343–365. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1369415416000236
- Fry, L. W. (2016). Spiritual Leadership. The Global Encyclopaedia of Public Administration, Public Policy, and Governance (pp. 1-6). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-31816-5_2353-1
- Gandz, J., Crossan, M., Seijts, G., & Reno, M. (2013). Leadership Character and Corporate Governance Competencies, Commitment, and Character. Ivey Business Journal, June, 1–9. http://www.cais.ca/uploaded/Temp/leadership_character_and_governance_article_directorjournal.pdf
- Garavan, T. N., O'Donnell, D., McGuire, D., & Watson, S. (2007). Exploring Perspectives on Human Resource Development: An Introduction. Advances in Developing Human Resources, 9 (1), 3–10. https://doi.org/10.1177/1523422306294342
- Grahek, M. S., Thompson, A. D., & Toliver, A. (2010). The Character to Lead: A Closer Look at Character in Leadership. Consulting Psychology Journal, 62 (4), 270–290. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0022385
- Guest, D. E. (2011). Human Resource Management and Performance: Still Searching for Some Answers. Human Resource Management Journal, 21 (1), 3–13. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1748-8583.2010.00164.x
- Hallinger, P. (2018). A Systematic Review of Research on Educational Leadership and Management in South Africa: Mapping Knowledge Production in a Developing Society. International Journal of Leadership in Education, 1–19. https://doi.org/10.1080/13603124.2018.1463460
- Hallinger, P., & Chen, J. (2014). Review of Research on Educational Leadership and Management in Asia. Educational Management Administration & Leadership, 43 (1), 5–27. https://doi.org/10.1177/1741143214535744
- Hamid, H., Sarosh, A., & Yasuo H. (2016). Determinants of Leadership Style in Big Five Personality Dimensions. Universal Journal of Management 4(4), 161 - 179. https://doi.org/10.13189/ujm.2016.040402
- Herrera, R., Duncan, P. A., Green, M. T., & Skaggs, S. L. (2012). The Effect of Gender on Leadership and Culture. Global Business and Organizational Excellence, 31 (2), 37–48. https://doi.org/10.1002/joe.21413
- Hogan, R., & Judge, T. (2013). Personality and Leadership. The Oxford Handbook of Leadership, 37-46. https://scholar.google.co.id/scholar?cluster=16109351269865806027&hl=id&as_sdt=0,5
- Hyoscyamina, D. E. (2011). Peran Keluarga dalam Membangun Karakter Anak. Jurnal Psikologi Undip, 10 (2), 144–152.
- Ingram, O. C. (2016). Servant Leadership as a Leadership Model. Journal of Management Science and Business Intelligence, 1 (1), 21–26.
- James Jr, H. S. (2015). Generalized Morality, Institutions and Economic Growth, and the Intermediating Role of Generalized Trust. Kyklos, 68 (2), 165-196. https://doi.org/10.1111/kykl.12079
- Judge, T. A., Bono, J. E., Ilies, R., & Gerhardt, M. W. (2002). Personality and Leadership: A Qualitative and Quantitative Review. Journal of Applied Psychology, 87 (4), 765–780. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.87.4.765
- Kanki, B. G. (2019). Communication and Crew Resource Management. Crew Resource Management (pp. 103-137). Academic Press. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-374946-8.10004-4
- Kenny, D. A., & Zaccaro, S. J. (1983). An Estimate of Variance Due to Traits in Leadership. Journal of Applied Psychology, 68, 678-685. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.68.4.678
- Klein, A., Kiranda, Y., & Bafaki, R. (2011). Concepts and Principles of Democratic Governance and Accountability Pseudo Power Contestation and Modelling in Indonesia. (2016). JSP: Journal of Social and Political Sciences, 19 (1), 1–15.
- Lepak, D. P., & Snell, S. A. (2003). Managing the Human Resource Architecture for Knowledge-Based Competition. In Jackson, S., Hitt, M., & Denise, A. (Eds.), Managing Knowledge for Sustained Competitive Advantage: Designing Strategies for Effective Human Resource Management (pp. 127-154). San Francisco: Jossey-Bass. https://books.google.co.id/books?id=bqui0OL_8UC&pg=PA127&lpg=PA127&dq#v=onepage& &f=false
- Lindenberg, S., Steg, L., Milovanovic, M., & Schipper, A. (2018). The Moral Hypocrisy and the Hedonic Shift: A Goal-Framing Approach. Rationality and Society, 30 (4), 393-419. https://doi.org/10.1177/1043463118795719
- Mann, R. D. (1959). A Review of the Relationship between Personality and Performance in Small Group. Psychological Bulletin, 56,241-270. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0044587
- Marsiglia, A. J. (2005). The Relationship between Leadership and Personality. Saatavissa: http://lead-inspire.com/Papers-Articles/LeadershipManagement/The%20Relationship%20between%20leadership%20and %20Personality.pdf
- Marume & Jaricha. (2016). Styles of Leadership in Institutions. International Journal of Business and Management Invention, 5 (5), 72-77. http://www.ijbmi.org/papers/Vol(5)5/K0505072077.pdf
- McLean, G. N., and McLean, L. (2010) ‘If We can't Define HRD in One Country, How Can We Define it in an International Context? Human Resource Development International, 4 (3): 313-26. https://doi.org/10.1080/13678860110059339
- Monin, B., & Merritt, A. (2011). Moral Hypocrisy, Moral Inconsistency, and the Struggle for Moral Integrity. In the Social Psychology of Morality: Exploring the Causes of Good and Evil. (pp. 167–184). ttps://doi.org/10.1037/13091-009
- Nafis, H., Rusdinal., Ananda, A., Khairani., & Satria, H. (2019). Influence of Profesional Teacher Competence, Self Concept, Interest Learning, and Early to Learning Outcomes Mathematics. International Journal of Innovative Technology and Exploring Engineering (IJITEE), 8 (10). https://doi.org/10.35940/ijitee.J9893.0881019
- Özbağ, G. K. (2016). The Role of Personality in Leadership: Five-Factor Personality Traits and Ethical Leadership. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 235, 235–242. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2016.11.019
- Pabbajah, M., Jubba, H., Abdullah, I., Samsuddin, Nurina, R.N., & Widyatmoko, W.F. (2020). Building Indonesia’s Private Universities as a Center of Excellence. Journal of Talent Development and Excellence, 12 (1), 2943-2954. http://www.iratde.com/index.php/jtde/article/view/1158
- Pabbajah, M., Irwan Abdullah, Ratri Nurina Widyanti, Hasse Jubba & Nur Alim. (2020). Student Demoralization in Education: The Industrialization of University Curriculum in 4.0.Indonesia, Cogent Education, 7:1, 1779506. https://doi.org/10.1080/2331186X.2020.1779506
- Pabbajah, M., Ratri Nurina Widyanti & Widi Fajar Widyatmoko. (2019). The Factors of Service, Religiosity and Knowledge in the Decision Of Customers to Save Funds in Sharia Banks in Yogyakarta City. International Journal of Business, Humanities, Education, and Social Sciences, 1(2), 13–26. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.051018/ijbhes.v1i2.37
- Rafsanjan, H. (2017). Spiritual Leadership. Musharraf Al-Syariah Journal: Journal of Sharia Economics and Propagation, 2 (1). https://scholar.google.com/scholar?cluster=862638011141635288&hl=id&as_sdt=0,5
- Robertson, T. (2011). Leadership Theory vs. Leadership Style. Houston Chronicle. https://smallbusiness.chron.com/leadership-theory-vs-leadership-style-32967.html
- Robbins, S. P. & Judge, T.A. (2007). Organizational Behavior (12th ed,). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Prentice hall. https://www.pearson.com/us/higher-education/product/Robbins-Organizational-Behavior-12th-Edition/9780132431569.html
- Rukmani, K., Ramesh, M., & Jayakrishnan, J. (2010). Effect of Leadership Styles on Organizational Effectiveness. European Journal of Social Sciences, 15 (3), 365-370. https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/c5f2/6290221bd608f122723dd92a53238d8aa043.pdf
- Sarros, J., Cooper, B., & Santora, J. (2007). The Character of Leadership. Ivey Business Journal, 71 (5), 1–9. https://iveybusinessjournal.com/publication/the-character-of-leadership/
- Service, R., Reburn, J., & Windham, J. (2017). The Character of Leadership: Is Leadership. European Journal of Management, 17 (2), 49–72. https://doi.org/10.18374/EJM-17-2.5
- Smyth, N. (2016). The Function of Morality. Philosophical Studies, 174 (5), 1127-1144. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11098-016-0746-8
- Sosik, J. J. & Cameron, J. C. (2010). Character and Authentic Transformational Leadership Behavior: Expanding the Ascetic Self towards Others. Consulting Psychology Journal: Practice and Research, 62(4) 251-269. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0022104
- Stogdill, R. M. (1948). Personality Factors Associated with Leadership: A survey of Literature. Journal of Personality, 25, 35-71. https://doi.org/10.1080/00223980.1948.9917362
- Suarmini, N. W., Rai, N. G. M., & Marsudi, M. (2016). The character of Children in the Family as Social and Cultural Resilience of the Nation. Journal of Social Humanities, 9 (1), 78. https://doi.org/10.12962/j24433527.v9i1.1280
- Subianto, J. (2013). The Role of Families, Schools, and Communities in the Formation of Quality Characters. Education: Journal of Islamic Education Research, 8 (2), 331–354. https://doi.org/10.21043/edukasia.v8i2.757
- Sung, S. Y., & Choi, J. N. (2014). Multiple Dimensions of Human Resource Development and Organizational Performance. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 35 (6), 851–870. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.1933
- Suwarno, S., & Bramantyo, R. Y. (2019). Influence of Leadership Style on Organizational Performance. Legal Transparency, 2 (1).
- Timonen, H., & Paloheimo, K. (2008). The Emergence and Diffusion of the Concept of Knowledge Work. The Electronic Journal of Knowledge Management, 6, 177-190. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/228896828_The_emergence_and_diffusion_of_the_concept_of_knowledge_work
- Ulrich, T. H. (2018). Spiritual Leadership. Spiritual Leadership. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-658-22901-6
- Van Vugt, M., Jepson, S. F., Hart, C. M., & De Cremer, D. (2004). Autocratic Leadership in Social Dilemmas: A Threat to Group Stability. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 40 (1), 1–13. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-1031(03)00061-1
- Walia, A., Bansal, R., & Mittal, S. (2015). Relationship between Leadership Style and Followership Style. International Journal of Advanced Research in Management and Social Sciences Impact Factor, 313 (4), 170–181. http://www.garph.co.uk/IJARMSS/Apr2015/15.pdf
- Waris, A. P. M. (2015). Effect of Training, Competence, and Discipline on Employee Performance in Company: Case Study in PT. Asuransi Bangun Askrida. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 211, 1240–1251. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2015.11.165
- Widyanti, R. N. (2019). Student Perception of Quality of Service in the Master of Management Study Program of the Yogyakarta University of Technology. Journal of Business Management. https://doi.org/10.18196/mb.10179
- West, G. B. (2019). Navigating Morality in Neoliberal Spaces of English Language Education. Linguistics and Education, 49, 31–40. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.linged.2018.12.004
- Yahaya, N., Taib, M. A. B. M., Ismail, J., Shariff, Z., Yahaya, A., Boon, Y., & Hashim, S. (2011). Relationship between Leadership Personality Types and Sources of Power and Leadership Styles among Managers. African Journal of Business Management, 5 (22), 9635-9648. https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Relationship-between-personalities-and-leaders-power-and-leadership-styles_fig2_267372486
- Yıldız, S., Baştürk, F., & Boz, İ. T. (2014). The Effect of Leadership and Innovation on Business Performance. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 150, 785–793. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2014.09.064
- Zaccaro, S. J. (2014). Leadership Memes: From Ancient History and Literature to Twenty-First-Century Theory and Research. In D. V. Day (Ed.). The Oxford Handbook of Leadership and Organizations (pp. 13–39). New York: Oxford. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordhb/9780199755615.013.001