Main Article Content
Hybrid renewable energy power systems have proven their ability to address limitations of single renewable energy system in terms of power stability, efficiency and reliability while running at minimum cost. In the present decade, lots of research and practical experiences have been done. This paper will present an overview of the different hybrid solar (PV)- wind renewable energy systems for power generations. Different criteria of selecting the right sizing of different component of hybrid renewable energy power plant at the most preferable economical, logistical environmental considerations will be discussed. In some cases when the weather data are not available, this paper will discuss some optimization approaches which are used to compare the performance and energy production cost of different system configurations using simulation techniques. Based on the fact that, potential of the wind and solar energy is not equal in Oman, this paper will discuss the optimum sizing process of two proposed hybrid solar-wind plants in Oman.
Hybrid Energy wind solar sizing and optimization.
Authors retain the copyright without restrictions for their published content in this journal. IJSRTM is a SHERPA ROMEO Green Journal.
How to Cite
Al Busaidi, A. S. (2015). A Review of Optimum Sizing Techniques for Off-Grid Hybrid PV-Wind Renewable Energy Systems. International Journal of Students’ Research in Technology & Management, 2(3), 93-102. Retrieved from https://giapjournals.com/ijsrtm/article/view/118
- P. Bajpai and V. Dash, "Hybrid renewable energy systems for power generation in stand-alone applications: A review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 16, pp. 2926-2939, 2012.
- O. Erdinc and M. Uzunoglu, "Optimum design of hybrid renewable energy systems: Overview of different approaches," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 16, pp. 1412-1425, 2012.
- A. J. M. C. a. C. B. E. F. F. Ribeiro "Uninterruptible Energy Production in Standalone Power Systems for Telecommunications " presented at the International Conference on Renewable Energies and Power Quality (ICREPQ’09) Valencia (Spain), 2009.
- W. T. Chong, et al., "Techno-economic analysis of a wind–solar hybrid renewable energy system with rainwater collection feature for urban high-rise application," Applied Energy, vol. 88, pp. 4067-4077, 2011.
- A. Asrari, et al., "Economic evaluation of hybrid renewable energy systems for rural electrification in Iran—A case study," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 16, pp. 3123-3130, 2012.
- Z. Iverson, et al., "Optimal design of hybrid renewable energy systems (HRES) using hydrogen storage technology for data center applications," Renewable Energy, vol. 52, pp. 79-87, 2013.
- M. Amer, et al., "Optimization of Hybrid Renewable Energy Systems (HRES) Using PSO for Cost Reduction," Energy Procedia, vol. 42, pp. 318-327, 2013.
- H. A. Kazem and T. Khatib, "Techno-economical assessment of grid connected photovoltaic power systems productivity in Sohar, Oman," Sustainable Energy Technologies and Assessments, vol. 3, pp. 61-65, 2013.
- E. Kabalci, "Design and analysis of a hybrid renewable energy plant with solar and wind power," Energy Conversion and Management, vol. 72, pp. 51-59, 2013.
- J. E. Paiva and A. S. Carvalho, "Controllable hybrid power system based on renewable energy sources for modern electrical grids," Renewable Energy, vol. 53, pp. 271-279, 2013.
- M. H. Moradi, et al., "A robust hybrid method for maximum power point tracking in photovoltaic systems," Solar Energy, vol. 94, pp. 266-276, 2013.
- C.-M. Hong, et al., "Development of intelligent MPPT (maximum power point tracking) control for a grid-connected hybrid power generation system," Energy, vol. 50, pp. 270-279, 2013.
- A. H. Al-Badi and H. Bourdoucen, "Feasibility analysis of renewable hybrid energy supply options for Masirah Island," International Journal of Sustainable Engineering, vol. 5, pp. 244-251, 2012/09/01 2011.
- R. Luna-Rubio, et al., "Optimal sizing of renewable hybrids energy systems: A review of methodologies," Solar Energy, vol. 86, pp. 1077-1088, 2012.
- B. Escobar, et al., "Analytical model as a tool for the sizing of a hydrogen production system based on renewable energy: The Mexican Caribbean as a case of study," International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, vol. 38, pp. 12562-12569, 2013.
- A. H. Al-Badi, et al., "Sustainable energy usage in Oman—Opportunities and barriers," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 15, pp. 3780-3788, 2011.
- A. H. Al-Badi, et al., "Assessment of renewable energy resources potential in Oman and identification of barrier to their significant utilization," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 13, pp. 2734-2739, 2009.
- P. Nema, et al., "A current and future state of art development of hybrid energy system using wind and PV-solar: A review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 13, pp. 2096-2103, 2009.
- A. M. Omer, "Renewable building energy systems and passive human comfort solutions," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 12, pp. 1562-1587, 2008.
- H. Belmili, et al., "Sizing stand-alone photovoltaic–wind hybrid system: Techno-economic analysis and optimization," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 30, pp. 821-832, 2014.
- e. e. a. r. e. US department of energy. (2007, Costs of Solar Power from Photovoltaics. Available: http://www1.eere.energy.gov/tribalenergy/guide/costs_solar_photovoltaics.html
- S. Ashok, "Optimised model for community-based hybrid energy system," Renewable Energy, vol. 32, pp. 1155-1164, 2007.
- H. Yang, et al., "Optimal sizing method for stand-alone hybrid solar–wind system with LPSP technology by using genetic algorithm," Solar Energy, vol. 82, pp. 354-367, 2008.
- Y. Bakelli, et al., "Optimal sizing of photovoltaic pumping system with water tank storage using LPSP concept," Solar Energy, vol. 85, pp. 288-294, 2011.
- S. Rehman, et al., "Feasibility study of a wind–pv–diesel hybrid power system for a village," Renewable Energy, vol. 38, pp. 258-268, 2012.
- M. Eroglu, et al., "A mobile renewable house using PV/wind/fuel cell hybrid power system," International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, vol. 36, pp. 7985-7992, 2011.
- B. Ould Bilal, et al., "Optimal design of a hybrid solar–wind-battery system using the minimization of the annualized cost system and the minimization of the loss of power supply probability (LPSP)," Renewable Energy, vol. 35, pp. 2388-2390, 2010.
- R. Baños, et al., "Optimization methods applied to renewable and sustainable energy: A review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 15, pp. 1753-1766, 2011.
- S. Sinha and S. S. Chandel, "Review of software tools for hybrid renewable energy systems," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 32, pp. 192-205, 2014.
- A. R. Malekpour and T. Niknam, "A probabilistic multi-objective daily Volt/Var control at distribution networks including renewable energy sources," Energy, vol. 36, pp. 3477-3488, 2011.
- H. Yang, et al., "A novel optimization sizing model for hybrid solar-wind power generation system," Solar Energy, vol. 81, pp. 76-84, 2007.
- M. Fadaee and M. A. M. Radzi, "Multi-objective optimization of a stand-alone hybrid renewable energy system by using evolutionary algorithms: A review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 16, pp. 3364-3369, 2012.
- K. Bourouni, et al., "Design and optimization of desalination reverse osmosis plants driven by renewable energies using genetic algorithms," Renewable Energy, vol. 36, pp. 936-950, 2011.
- O. Authority for Electricity Regulation, COWI and Partners LLC, "Study on Renewable Energy Resources, Oman," OmanMay, 2008.
- A. H. Al-Badi, et al., "Economic perspective of PV electricity in Oman," Energy, vol. 36, pp. 226-232, 2011.
- Y. Charabi, et al., "Evaluation of NWP performance for wind energy resource assessment in Oman," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 15, pp. 1545-1555, 2011.
- A. H. Al-Badi, "Hybrid (solar and wind) energy system for Al Hallaniyat Island electrification," International Journal of Sustainable Energy, vol. Vol. 30, pp. 212–222, August 2011.