Main Article Content
An approach for filling-in blocks of missing data in wireless image transmission is presented in this paper. When compression algorithms such as JPEG are used as part of the wireless transmission process, images are first tiled into blocks of 8x8 pixels. When such images are transmitted over fading channels, the effects of noise can destroy entire blocks of the image. Instead of using common retransmission query protocols, we aim to reconstruct the lost data using correlation between the lost block and its neighbours. If the lost block contained structure, it is reconstructed using an image inpainting algorithm, while texture synthesis is used for the textured blocks. The switch between the two schemes is done in a fully automatic fashion based on the surrounding available blocks. The performance of this method is tested for various images and combinations of lost blocks.
Restoration interpolation inpainting filling-in texture synthesis JPEG wireless transmission compression.
Authors retain the copyright without restrictions for their published content in this journal. IJSRTM is a SHERPA ROMEO Journal.
How to Cite
Patel, P., Gupta, S., & Zafar, H. (2015). STRUCTURE AND TEXTURE SYNTHESIS. Students’ Research in Technology & Management, 1(2), 82-88. Retrieved from https://giapjournals.com/ijsrtm/article/view/46
- E. Chang, “An image coding and reconstruction scheme for mobile computing,” in Proc. 5th
- IDMS, Oslo, Norway, Sept. 1998, pp. 137–148.
- S. S. Hemami, “Digital image coding for robust multimedia transmission,” in Proc. Symp.
- Multimedia Communications and Video Coding,New York, 1995.
- M. Bertalmio, G. Sapiro, V. Caselles, and C. Ballester, “Image inpainting,” in Computer Graphics
- (SIGGRAPH 2000), July 2000, pp. 417–424.
- A. A. Efros and T. K. Leung, “Texture synthesis by nonparametric sampling,” in IEEE Int. Conf.
- Computer Vision, Corfu, Greece, Sept. 1999,pp. 1033–1038.
- C. Ballester, M. Bertalmio, V. Caselles, G. Sapiro, and J. Verdera, “Filling-in by joint
- interpolation of vector fields and gray levels,” IEEETrans. Image Processing, to be published.
- T. Chan and J. Shen, “Mathematical models for local deterministic inpaintings,” UCLA CAM
- Rep., Mar. 2000.
- D. Heeger and J. Bergen, “Pyramid based texture analysis/synthesis,” in Proc. SIGGRAPH 1995,
- July 1995, pp. 229–238.
- S. Masnou and J. Morel, “Level-lines based disocclusion,” in IEEE Int. Conf. Image Processing,
- Oct. 1998.