Main Article Content
In this letter, we analyze the bit error rate (BER) performance of a multiple input multiple output (MIMO) based cognitive radio system in equicorrelated Rayleigh fading channels. The system is assumed to implement energy detection for spectrum sensing and fixed power control for secondary user transmission. We develop an alternate closed form expression of BER when the MIMO link between the secondary users is implemented using orthogonal space time block codes (OSTBC). We also propose a novel infinite series expression of BER when transmit antenna selection with maximal ratio combining (TAS/MRC) is used instead of OSTBC. We observe that the existing work on analyzing the BER of MIMO systems implementing TAS/MRC in correlated fading channels, implicitly or explicitly assumes correlation to be absent on the transmitter side. We overcome this shortcoming by considering correlation on both the transmitter and receiver sides of the MIMO system.
Cognitive radio system MIMO OSTBC TAS/MRC fixed power control energy detection Rayleigh fading equicorrelated.
Authors retain the copyright without restrictions for their published content in this journal. IJSRTM is a SHERPA ROMEO Journal.
How to Cite
Suman, S. (2015). BER ANALYSIS OF A MIMO BASED COGNITIVE RADIO SYSTEM IMPLEMENTING OSTBC AND TAS/MRC IN EQUICORRELATED RAYLEIGH FADING CHANNELS. Students’ Research in Technology & Management, 1(4), 407-415. Retrieved from https://giapjournals.com/ijsrtm/article/view/84
- C. Sun, Y. D. Alemseged, H. N. Tran and H. Harada, “Transmit Power Control for Cognitive Radio
- Over a Rayleigh Fading Channel,” IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 59, No. 4, pp.
- –1857, Oct. 2010.
- Z. Chen, J. Yuan and B. Vucetic, “Analysis of Transmit Antenna Selection/Maximal-Ratio
- Combining in Rayleigh Fading Channels,” IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 54, No. 4,
- pp. 1312–1321,July 2005.
- L. Yang, “Performance Analysis of Transmit Antenna Selection With MRC Over Correlated Fast-
- Fading Channels,” 4th International Conference on Wireless Communications, Networking and Mobile
- Computing (WiCOM), Oct. 2008.
- B. Wang and W. Zheng, “BER Performance of Transmitter Antenna Selection/Receiver-MRC Over
- Arbitrarily Correlated Fading Channels,” IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 58, No. 6,
- pp. 3088– 3092, July 2009.
- I. Kim, “Exact BER Analysis of OSTBCs in Spatially Correlated MIMO Channels,” IEEE
- Transactions on Communications, Vol. 54, No. 8, pp. 1365-1373, Aug. 2006.
- T. Duong, T. Le and H. Zepernick, “Performance of Cognitive Radio Networks with Maximal Ratio
- Combining over Correlated Rayleigh Fading,” International Conference on Communication and
- Electronics, Vol. 33, No. 3, pp. 65-69, Aug. 1984.
- S. Alamouti, “A Simple Transmit Diversity Technique for Wireless Communications,” IEEE Journal
- on Selected Areas in Communication, Vol. 16, No. 8, pp. 1451-1458, Oct. 1998.
- R. K. Mallik, M. Win, J. W. Shao, M. Alouini and A. Goldsmith, “Channel Capacity of Adaptive
- Transmission With Maximal Ratio Combining in Correlated Rayleigh Fading,” IEEE Transactions on
- Wireless Communication, Vol. 3, No. 4, pp. 1124-1133, July 2004.
- I. S. Gradshteyn and I. M. Ryzhik, Table of Integrals, Series and Products, 7th edition, Academic
- Press, 2007.
- R. K. Mallik, “On Multivariate Rayleigh and Exponential Distributions,” IEEE Transactions on
- Information Theory, Vol. 49, No. 6, pp. 1499-1515, June 2003